• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Trojita said:
Blizzard said:
So far as I've played there are
invisible time limits

In the first mission if you take too long to get to the hostages, from what people said here, they die.

Primarily if you waste too much time at Sarif HQ before you get on the chopper to go to the factory.

The bomb in the room with the hostages has a timer on it.. if you don't make it in time, it blows up.

I love that you don't have all the time in the world.. you know, like you do before the final battle of a j-rpg.. you could spend 50 hours doing whatever and the bad guy just waits for you and nothing changes until you arrive.

There are no invisible time limits for primary objectives that I've seen.. as far as the game was concerned, you made a choice.
that dicking around at Sarif industries was more important than the hostages that were in danger

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Robobandit said:
Trojita said:
Primarily if you waste too much time at Sarif HQ before you get on the chopper to go to the factory.

The bomb in the room with the hostages has a timer on it.. if you don't make it in time, it blows up.

I love that you don't have all the time in the world.. you know, like you do before the final battle of a j-rpg.. you could spend 50 hours doing whatever and the bad guy just waits for you and nothing changes until you arrive.
Being OCD, I hate that :(

Sarif mentions that
The situation got a whole lot worse
if you wait around at the HQ.
People here made it seem like taking too long in the first mission also caused them to die.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Linkzg said:
ok, it's definetely impossible to get the "foxiest of the hounds"/no alert achievement with side quests.

one side quest puts you in automatic alert status

the other requires you to take out several enemies, two of which are impossible to confront without alerting. the main missions don't seem to have this issue.
The description says "alarms", not alerts so I assume it means only the security systems.

Trojita said:
Being OCD, I hate that :(

Sarif mentions that
The situation got a whole lot worse
if you wait around at the HQ.
People here made it seem like taking too long in the first mission also caused them to die.

I've never seem them die when I got to the factory on time. Besides, you can go explore every nook and cranny after you clear the factory. They don't make you leave :)

Is it just me who hates the hacking system? Level 4 systems are virtually impossible without nukes and fortify or am I missing some trick to it all? I wasted half an hour trying to get into the building beside the clinic. Most of it seems luck, 70% chance of detection, detected? Disconnect and try again.

Angst

Dries said:
A quote from some pages back... but are there time-limits in the game? In what way then?
AFAIK there are no countdowns or things like that, but if people in the game tell you that something is urgent, and instead of doing what they tell you you dawdle with checking out people's computers, the women's bathroom etc you might not get to the event in time. Game still continues though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm LOVING this game so far. I regrettably never played the first Deus Ex and intnetionally avoided every single piece of media for this game, I haven't gone this blindly in something in a long time.

I was pretty much instantly sold once it started and it did a Perfect Dark with the camera going into the back of your head. The whole vibe is very similar to that game for me, I'm currently just killing time doing side missions in the city. I'm also really liking the look of all the upgrade paths, I'm thinking way more than usual on what I actually want. Focusing on hacking right now but I'm getting curious about the no fall damage one based on all the positive impressions of it in this thread. There's really that many areas it's useful in?

This is also giving me a lot of Hitman: Blood Money vibes, which is a game I feel is horribly unappreciated. The way the newspapers tell you what's happening(typically based on how you play) and the multiple ways to accomplish everything. Sooo good.

Angst said:
AFAIK there are no countdowns or things like that, but if people in the game tell you that something is urgent, and instead of doing what they tell you you dawdle with checking out people's computers, the women's bathroom etc you might not get to the event in time. Game still continues though.

Jeah it made me look like this "O_O" when i heard that the hostages are dead now because of me slagging around.

Ken

Infinite_Daremo said:
Is it just me who hates the hacking system? Level 4 systems are virtually impossible without nukes and fortify or am I missing some trick to it all? I wasted half an hour trying to get into the building beside the clinic. Most of it seems luck, 70% chance of detection, detected? Disconnect and try again.

Seems doable to me, though sometimes I do need to disconnect and try again. I also realized today that I can attack two different items at the same time if both are able to be attacked. Makes grabbing the extra EXP easier.

Ken said:
Seems doable to me, though sometimes I do need to disconnect and try again. I also realized today that I can attack two different items at the same time if both are able to be attacked. Makes grabbing the extra EXP easier.

Yeah, that does help. In addition, a lot of the more complex networks have SPAM and other nodes that you can capture to slow down the server's attempt to find your entry point and throw you out.

Ken said:

I knew that. But I don't think its possible without the extra tools which really sucks. And then the 30 second lockouts. I don't know why upgrading hacking doesn't reduce your detection rate.

Infinite_Daremo said:
I knew that. But I don't think its possible without the extra tools which really sucks. And then the 30 second lockouts. I don't know why upgrading hacking doesn't reduce your detection rate.
Err... Upgrading does reduce your detection rate. Mine's reduced by 30% or so. Most of the basic nodes have 15% detection rate for me.

wutwutwut

Infinite_Daremo said:
There are like 4 different hacking upgrade paths. You need to upgrade the others too, not just the security level you can access.

Dries

Trojita said:
So far as I've played there are
invisible time limits

In the first mission if you take too long to get to the hostages, from what people said here, they die.

Oh ok. Are these the only known instances? Cause I can live with this, I guess, seeing how it adds to realism. Just don't tell me it's in every mission?

Oh and this game has the beat first mission ever. Really focuses on the decision system and the consequences of such decisions. It's a way of saying "we're fucking serious about the consequences! Prepare to here about it for the rest of the game on how you wasted time playing with the urinals!"

shagg_187 said:
Err... Upgrading does reduce your detection rate. Mine's reduced by 30% or so. Most of the basic nodes have 15% detection rate for me.

WTF. I didn't even see that augmentation. Derp. Thanks for that. Maybe I can enjoy hacking now.

Rokal

Ken said:

You can capture and fortify multiple nodes at the same time. Hacking becomes considerably easier when you realize how much it rewards your speed. Make a plan for the puzzle, and then move as quickly as you can with as many simultaneous actions as possible if you are detected. Most puzzles have two routes to get to your entry point, so you'll want to make sure you're capturing the second route and fortifying it as well.

SamuraiX-

I just watched the whole Deus Ex: Human Revolution Making of documentary that supposedly is included with the Augmented Edition.

My God, the heart and dedication from these guys through the development process, from a brand new studio no less, just blew my mind. This is one game that really needs to sell well.

Truant

Hacking gets more fun when you have the stealth stuff maxed out, because then you can work your way to the datastores and get loot/cash while you hack without having to risk setting off the alarm or getting locked out.

Truant

SamuraiX- said:
I just watched the whole Deus Ex: Human Revolution Making of documentary that supposedly is included with the Augmented Edition.

My God, the heart and dedication from these guys through the development process, from a brand new studio no less, just blew my mind.

Any way to watch this on the net?

Dries

Angst said:

Ok, sounds acceptable. But that's not how all the missions are, are they? You do get time for exploring and taking your time while seeing all the sights?

Dries said:
Ok, sounds acceptable. But that's not how all the missions are, are they? You do get time for exploring and taking your time while seeing all the sights?
Yes. You get a lot of time exploring. Some missions will emphasize on you hurrying up. There will also be missions where two people want to meet you and they both say it's urgent and you better hear then out as it might change your opinion about what the other guy would say, so you either tell them to fuck off or you don't.

Sometimes hurrying up to a certain destination will give you dialogue advantage as well as you will overhear people with clues to what to expect.

But yes, besides these handful of missions, there are loads of more that give you eternity to explore.

I've only scratched the surface and yet I am more than pleased. I kept the faith that the developers would honor the original game while minding the mistakes of Invisible War and I am so happy to see that I am vindicated. Seriously, I have fantasized about playing a game with this kind of depth, and graphics since I played Deus Ex and it's even better in real life than it was in my head.

Dries

shagg_187 said:
Yes. You get a lot of time exploring. Some missions will emphasize on you hurrying up. There will also be missions where two people want to meet you and they both say it's urgent and you better hear then out as it might change your opinion about what the other guy would say, so you either tell them to fuck off or you don't.

Sometimes hurrying up to a certain destination will give you dialogue advantage as well as you will overhear people with clues to what to expect.

But yes, besides these handful of missions, there are loads of more that give you eternity to explore.

As long as these missions are in the miniority I'm fine.

SamuraiX-

flipswitch said:
Is there any spoilers in those Making Of Videos?

I would say definitely not.

The development team tries its best to keep things as clean as possible, even when discussing story elements.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just finished the Cloak and Dagger side mission in Detroit. That was pretty huge for a side mission, lots of fun.

Dries said:
As long as these missions are in the miniority I'm fine.
3 encounters in 16 hours. Very minor so far.

"Just finished the Cloak and Dagger side mission in Detroit. That was pretty huge for a side mission, lots of fun."

Yeah, it was very good. What made it "fun" is that it conflicted with a main quest concerning a satellite, so I couldn't be seen in that vicinity or a secondary quest would fail.

My favorite part:
Going to apartment, throwing grenade at the hallway, smashing the wall and breaking the neck of a guy behind the wall, tranquilizing the gang leader and shotgunning everyone else. Then, going next door and selling the crossbow to the merchant. When the girl asked about murder weapon, Adam flat out lied there wasn't any. :lol

Please tell me you dragged his body out after the confrontation. I know I did! :lol

Skirn

EatChildren said:
I dont think Thief 4 could be in better hands.
These guys are developing Thief 4? Fucking awesome news, even though I still haven't played DE:HR myself but going by all these impressions tells me this game's pretty good, to say the least.

C'mon, Friday! :(

Also, most of the most overlooked part of the game: weapons, ammo and bodies not disappearing. Everything stays the way you want it to stay. I killed weapon merchants and thought they'll spawn back. Fuck no, they won't. I closed the door lol.

Lakitu

st5fu
All these impressions have me so hyped. I hope I get my copy soon.

I just know I'm going to have lots of fun and do a lot of experimenting. I'm going for a stealthy playthrough (lethal).

Dries

Yeah, I'm also really surprised about the good reception here on GAF, considering the legendary status of the original and the let down part two was. It's really cool to see that a high awaited game delivers so much.

JambiBum

I am in love with this game. Finally a stealth game that does stealth right again. Hopefully other devs will see this and not give us hand holding stealth games anymore.

Also for the first boss I just used frag mines to kill him. I'm doing a stealth/no kill play through so I don't carry actual weapons. But I make sure to carry explosives for the bosses.

SalsaShark said:
you mean Thi4f32x

Lol. In their defense, Even "Deus Ex: Hum△n Revolution" has a funny bone to it. That triangle is a representation of the third game is the series.

Mind blown, yes?

That said... let's do this!!

Chocolate Cheerios: ready!
Coke: ready!
Deus Ex: ready!!

POWER EXTREME!!!!

Gila

In on epic game thread...

Just landed from the heli on the second attack..spoke to the swat and pissed them off haha

quick question,
are we able to actually do close-combat fighting later on in the game? I don't wanna just not be able to fight without a gun or stealth attacks :(

Salsa

shagg_187 said:
Lol. In their defense, Even "Deus Ex: Hum△n Revolution" has a funny bone to it. That triangle is a representation of the third game is the series.

Mind blown, yes?

i actually thought about that :p

even though i didnt knew it was official

i guess it aint though, because there was no second game

Tokubetsu

I couldn't even find the hostages in the first mission and it still took me like two hours to do. Don't even give a fuck. I've got more important shit to do. Like unraveling conspiracies and saving a major corporation.

What's that Malik? You wish it came down to saving actual lives and not corporation politics? Shut the fuck up and fly the god damn chopper.

sTkyY.gif

Had to force myself to stop playing it.... after 13 hours.

Holy fuck. I haven't had a session like that since Red Alert 2 came out. Thank god I have to work in the morning to break up sitting in my chair for a while
and so I can think about what I want to do next.

Can't imagine anything else topping this for my personal GOTY. I wish I could shake all of the developers hands, they've accomplished pretty much everything I wanted to see in a game with "Deus Ex" on the box.

Been playing a stealth all the way through, haven't killed a single soul. Even enjoying screwing up and reloading just so I can try, try, try again. Hacking is so much damn fun when you get the hang of it. Every aspect of this damn game just makes me happy, honestly. Haven't smiled so much while playing a game in a very long time.

I'm also not the kind of guy who goes through games more than once, but I'm already anticipating my second play through so I can mess with a different aug setup and play style.

FUCKIN' LOVE IT!!

Top Bottom