• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

bathala

Banned
just finished 5hr session and that's doing the side quest and 1st Downtown main mission.

the choices of approaches r awesome especially that Police Station mission

KorrZ

You can get a silencer by:
buying it from a guy in one of the apartment complexes
. If you want to know more specifically...
I'm pretty sure it's the one right across from the basketball court. You have to climb the fire escape and go through the window

Gustav

Banned
Question for those who have already played the first couple of hours. Kinda spoiler-ish so spoiler marked:

Is it possible to go through the beginning of the game (pre-augmentation) without killing anybody during that raid?

If the leak is any indication on how this will run on my PC I might as well find a corner and sob until I can afford a new one.

Edit: It's not unplayable but the stuttering is really getting on my nerves. Downloading new drivers now, I hope that'll fix it.

anddo0

Gustav said:
Question for those who have already played the first couple of hours. Kinda spoiler-ish so spoiler marked:

Is it possible to go through the beginning of the game (pre-augmentation) without killing anybody during that raid?

Yes. Just stick to cover and watch guard patterns. 11 hours in ( 2 missions and several side-quest) and I've killed no one. Dat tranq sniper rifle.

Ridley327

Gustav said:

It sure is; you can go through it without even a hint of detection, too.

Torraz

Has any EU steam user used a proxy to unlock this? Usually waiting a few more days would be nothing, but I am facing a strange lack of self-control at the moment...

Gustav

Banned
anddo0 said:
Yes. Just stick to cover and watch guard patterns. 11 hours in ( 2 missions and several side-quest) and I've killed no one. Dat tranq sniper rifle.

Ridley327 said:
It sure is; you can go through it without even a hint of detection, too.

Thanks! Great news!

Finally got to dive into this game yesterday after work for about 5 hours and the experience was absolutely sublime. The game is basically a marriage of MGS style gameplay with a non-linear RPG-like structure that gives you tons of freedom. No action in the game feels like a waste of time, even walking aimlessly around exploring the world is fun and interesting in its own way. I haven't had such a positive first impression of a game in as long as I can remember. My favorite part of the game so far has got to be the construction of the world. There is so much detail and depth to be discovered here and it's simply a joy to exist within the world they've created.

I have a few questions though:

1. Is there any way to see my play-time? I absolutely hate when games don't keep track of this so I'm hoping it's just hiding somewhere.

2. Not a very big spoiler.
As I was walking through downtown Detroit I made my way to the top of an apartment building and was greeted by some unfriendly looking gang members (I can't remember the 3 letter acronym that labeled them but I think they were wearing yellow, grey, and white uniforms). I snooped around their apartment for awhile and they didn't take very kindly to it so they opened fire on me. I took both of them out and now I'm wondering if I'll miss anything because of it. Does anyone know?

red731

Torraz said:
Has any EU steam user used a proxy to unlock this? Usually waiting a few more days would be nothing, but I am facing a strange lack of self-control at the moment...

Check some pages back, someone posted how exactly unlock it for eu dd.

Gustav

Banned
Torraz said:

Didn't work for me. Supposedly unlocked the game but it couldn't be started afterwards because "the game is unavailable right now. try again later.".

I tried everything: redownloading, downloading through proxy, clearing some files, reinstalling steam. Nothing. Will not start for me.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Torraz said:
Post earlier, but download and signup for this http://anonymitynetwork.com, close Steam, connect to a US network, open Steam, run Deus Ex, and then put Steam into Offline Mode.

eshwaaz

I only got to play about an hour-and-a-half last night, with most of that spent just exploring Sarif. This game is so dense with detail it's astounding; I can already see why it took four years to make.

I was immediately drawn in by the design of this world and the believable, lived-in look. Every prop, whether it's strewn office clutter or a piece of technology is convincing and looks like it has purpose, which is something so many games fail to achieve.

I can't wait to dive back in tonight. It's going to be a looooong day.

KorrZ said:
You can get a silencer by:
buying it from a guy in one of the apartment complexes
. If you want to know more specifically...
I'm pretty sure it's the one right across from the basketball court. You have to climb the fire escape and go through the window
Crap. The only thing I accomplished by going up there was pissing the two guys off and now they're dead. Guns blazing it is, I suppose, if by nothing else than necessity.

Solo

GhostRidah said:
GOTY for me, put in 18 hours and its still so good, more importantly is I can see myself completing it over and over again, usually I beat a game and wont touch it for a few months.

Deus EX HR
Bastion
Witcher 2

In that order for me.

I know, opinions and all, but after my first 5 hours, I cannot fathom this getting even with ten country miles of The Witcher 2.

I wish I were enjoying the game as much as most seem to be doing :( When I play again tonight I hope it finally "clicks".

Torraz said:

Worked for me, now I'm in offline mode until Friday.

Thanks to those who gave me info on where to find a silencer. As for the police station mission, I used the code given to me by
Detective Chase
, after persuading him to give it up, and now he's no longer where he used to be. I suspect I got him killed, and I actually feel bad :(

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Really enjoying it, but the load times are really dampening my enjoyment. Was hoping they would have been fixed from the Preview Build.

Freki

Gustav said:
Didn't work for me. Supposedly unlocked the game but it couldn't be started afterwards because "the game is unavailable right now. try again later.".

I tried everything: redownloading, downloading through proxy, clearing some files, reinstalling steam. Nothing. Will not start for me.

had the same problem - getting the *.exe from a friend solved the problem

Moaradin

Solo said:
I know, opinions and all, but after my first 5 hours, I cannot fathom this getting even with ten country miles of The Witcher 2.

I wish I were enjoying the game as much as most seem to be doing :( When I play again tonight I hope it finally "clicks".

Because It's a better designed game.

Sotha Sil

Amazon delivering it "on saturday or monday". Whatever. Their mechs may have copper wiring to re-route their fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

RS4-

The_Darkest_Red said:
Crap. The only thing I accomplished by going up there was pissing the two guys off and now they're dead. Guns blazing it is, I suppose, if by nothing else than necessity.

There's another floor below that one.

FGMPR

Banned
Gustav said:
I think he means you like witcher better because it's better designed.

That's still kind of vague, to say the least. It's like referring to something as "boring". It doesn't really mean anything without a deeper explanation.

ArjanN

hamchan said:
Good lord man, that's why people are calling it the RPG version of MGS. We don't literally mean it's in the MGS universe or that it plays 1 to 1 like MGS.

Like, the way the stealth works and the way enemies react is pretty damn similar to MGS.

This.

Also, the near-future cyberpunk setting, and the character/tech design looks similar.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I am cyborg in the future yet happily spend most of my time in air vents. So good.

Also the
Robocop
reference was great, anyone else notice the name of the officer?
Murphy!

Solo

Gustav said:

Oh. Well, I'd agree, but I'm sure lots won't. But this isn't the thread for that. But yeah, right now I'm holding using DX (franchise standard) and TW2 (current year standard) as my measuring sticks for HR. So I think my to-date disappointment is stemming from the game feeling more like a MGS/Gears RPG than DX and from the shadow of TW2.

Anyways, today is a new today and I hope the game can make me its bitch tonight.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Solo said:
So I think my to-date disappointment is stemming from the game feeling more like a MGS/Gears RPG than DX and from the shadow of TW2.

MGS I can see, but Gears not at all, unless you want to put every game that features guns and a third person cover mechanic under the same umbrella.

To be honest you can't make a game like Deus Ex and get away with it now. Gamers won't stand for it sadly.

This is the closest we've gotten though (albeit it took some concessions in regards to gameplay mechanics) and I'm impressed.

I don't think any other studio could have done it better. Smart choice having a startup tackle it.

edit: loading times are shit though, is this something that could be patched later?

Moaradin

Gustav said:

Actually quite the opposite lol. What I meant to say is people like Deus Ex better because THEY THINK It's a better designed game. Sorry for vague answer, something came up at work.

Solo

3chopl0x said:
You're upset at your own stupidity? I don't understand your post.

It's stupid to be reminded of the game that, while it didn't invent the cover mechanic, popularized it to such a degree that you'd be hard-pressed to play a third person action title post-2006 that didn't feature the mechanic heavily in it?

Echoplx

Solo said:
It's stupid to be reminded of the game that, while it didn't invent the cover mechanic, popularized it to such a degree that you'd be hard-pressed to play a third person action title post-2006 that didn't feature the mechanic heavily in it?

From what I read it sounded like you admitted to putting every game like that under the same umbrella, not that you were just reminded of it.

My bad.

Solo said:
To me that's like arguing that it's hard to play Deus Ex without thinking of Wolfenstein 3D because they both have guns and you [can] shoot people. Cover systems are simply a staple of this generation, they're present in almost every modern day game with guns.

Solo

The_Darkest_Red said:
Cover systems are simply a staple of this generation, they're present in almost every modern day game with guns.

And I guess that is my problem - I have "cover" (or "Gears") shooter fatigue.

Solo

Is it just me, or is the hacking kind of completely busted in the game? Even when you trip an alarm, 80% of the time you have enough time to finish the hack before the countdown timer reaches zero.

Interfectum

I'm about 4-5 hours in and I'm loving it. The word I think of when I'm playing this game is "refreshing." I really wish they made more games like this nowadays. So good.

Solo said:
And I guess that is my problem - I have "cover" (or "Gears") shooter fatigue.
I understand, but to me this game is a refreshing relief from other shooters because you don't have to play it like a shooter. Playing with an emphasis on stealth makes this game feel completely different from other modern shooters. Plus, a large portion of the game takes place outside of the moments where shooting or sneaking is required.

Top Bottom