• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Daeda

Solo said:
And I guess that is my problem - I have "cover" (or "Gears") shooter fatigue.

But even the shootouts in DXHR play out entirely different from most of those games. You couldnt really flank enemies in those games and its an ideal alternative to the lean button imo.

Gustav

Banned
Solo said:
Is it just me, or is the hacking kind of completely busted in the game? Even when you trip an alarm, 80% of the time you have enough time to finish the hack before the countdown timer reaches zero.

No, it's not you. The game IS a bland Gears rip-off with a terrible hacking mini game.

red731

Gustav said:
No, it's not you. The game IS a bland Gears rip-off with a terrible hacking mini game.

dis_gonna_b_gud.gif

Opinions

Interfectum

I wouldn't go as far to say the mini-game is 'busted'... it seems easy so far but I'd imagine it ramps up in difficulty later on in the game.

Solo

Gustav said:

No need to get snarky/butthurt. I realize this is the honeymoon phase for many, but GTFO if you can't take legit criticisms. Ill own up to my previous comments as being very much my own personal feelings, but the hacking? It flat out blows.

SLV

bah, i hate when people only have Gears of War as a comparison for the cover system of this gen, to me it will always be Kill Switch !

Love the game so far I am just a little annoyed with the limited space...I preorderd so when I got into the game it gave me 2 guns and some money. One of the guns (the sniper rifle) takes up two whole rows lol.

Solo said:
No need to get snarky/butthurt. I realize this is the honeymoon phase for many, but GTFO if you can't take legit criticisms. Ill own up to my previous comments as being very much my own personal feelings, but the hacking? It flat out blows.

I don't think he was being sarcastic.

edit: uh nevermind, didn't get my sarcasm augmentation upgraded yet.

Interfectum

Solo said:

To be fair, both sides can get annoying. You have the honeymooners who want to praise the game non-stop, then the people who feel the need to nitpick the game to death. Both are equally shit to read.

Snkfanatic said:
Love the game so far I am just a little annoyed with the limited space...I preorderd so when I got into the game it gave me 2 guns and some money. One of the guns (the sniper rifle) takes up two whole rows lol.
I had the same issue. I sold the double-barrel shotgun at the first chance I got. That actually raises a question, is there somewhere to store weapons and items?

played from 5:30 to around 10 last night. so far this is one of the coolest games i've played in a long time. it's a deus ex game too. it might seem like the personality is a little different because of things like the mo-capped animations for NPC's while you talk to them, and cosmetic changes from good ole' DE1, but it's everything i had hoped for.

thoughts:
+combat is satisfying, even on GMDE difficulty. i feel like every bullet is valuable and try not to waste any of them. feel like a bad ass when i luck out and take out 4 or 5 guys a lot quicker than usual.
+graphics are great, and they get the job done. PS3 version loads quick (to me) and doesn't suffer from tearing or slow down that i've seen.
+i genuinely felt bad about
letting all those hostages die because i wasn't quick enough to start the first real mission
. the way everyone talked to me made me feel bad. next time will be different!
+animations are awesome, especially moving from cover to cover. there isn't a big bold line between the regular animations and the mo-capped ones. it's hard to tell sometimes, which is good.
+gotta love those alternate ways of getting to your objective.
+gotta love all the little things they do to make the environments and game world feel real. just like they said, if there's a room with a desk and a bed and such in it, it all feels like it belongs there. i catch myself wasting time just looking around and reading things on the walls and etc.
+DAT GRID
+DEM WEAPONS

-sometimes i accidentally pop out of cover when im moving my right stick around to look at what's around me. i'm still behind cover, it just causes adam to pop out and aim. i've blown my cover a few times already this way on accident. i just have to remind myself to hit L1 again before looking around.
-i personally find hacking to be a little confusing. often i will win a super complicated *looking* hack really quickly and didn't really know why. sometimes i lose a hack because of reasons unknown even though i appeared to have the upper hand. i might just need to watch the tutorial for them again, because i likely don't understand the purpose of each icon and each action. still fun though.
-ammo i pick up doesn't specify what gun it goes to. i couldn't figure out if i could put tranq darts in the pistol or if they needed a special tranq gun. same with another type i picked up. a small complaint i guess.

i'm on the second mission(s) and i have a few side quests in my list to do. i've already killed some people but couldn't do anything about them seeing me, so i'll try a no-kill game next time. just got cloak, so next praxis point i get will go to hacking, and then next time i have 2 points im getting the x-ray vision.

Solo

Interfectum said:
To be fair, both sides can get annoying. You have the honeymooners who want to praise the game non-stop, then the people who feel the need to nitpick the game to death. Both are equally shit to read.

Fair enough. My question still stands though: is there some nuance I am missing or is hacking pretty much impossible NOT to be successful at?

Gustav

Banned
Solo said:

Posting your next criticism right after being called out for criticizing the game for something it clearly is not just comes off as if you're trying to rain on peoples parades to validate your poor opinion of the game. That's all.

Sullen said:
Please tell me this is sarcasm.

It was.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Solo said:

Hacking criticisms, sure. But dont be surprised if people get a little edgy over silly Gears of War comparisons :p.

Interfectum

Solo said:
Fair enough. My question still stands though: is there some nuance I am missing or is hacking pretty much impossible NOT to be successful at?

I don't know yet... I'm assuming it gets harder (there are even character upgrades to make hacking easier) but so far I agree it's pretty damn easy.

Exploring the streets outside of the Sarif building and completing all the sidequests brings back memories of doing the same in areas like Hell's Kitchen. Good stuff

syoaran

Solo said:

Completing a hack is easy. Getting the additional rewards is quite challenging and requires some luck. Then again, I might just suck and your a god at the mini game.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
+i genuinely felt bad about
letting all those hostages die because i wasn't quick enough to start the first real mission. the way everyone talked to me made me feel bad. next time will be different!
So wait... that wasn't a guaranteed outcome!? Are you telling me that those people actually died because I was too busy opening every door in the bathroom? That is so amazing but now I feel terrible...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
syoaran said:
Completing a hack is easy. Getting the additional rewards is quite challenging and requires some luck. Then again, I might just suck and your a god at the mini game.

He has the spirit of Sean Connery guiding him.

The combat feels floaty and not all that good, and the cover system is pretty shitty... but everything else in the game seems pretty awesome so far.

The_Darkest_Red said:
So wait... that wasn't a guaranteed outcome!? Are you telling me that those people actually died because I was too busy opening every door in the bathroom? That is so amazing but now I feel terrible...

not really a spoiler, but whatevs...
i can only assume they would have lived had i gotten to the heli quicker. because at one point you hear your boss yell over the mic that the situation got worse because i was slacking. he reminded me 3 or four times to hurry, so i assume if i had just left right then it would have turned out okay.

then again, i suck at rescuing hostages.

EDIT: does anyone know if you can get the DLC after you've already started a game? i want the sniper rifle way bad lots but i don't want to start a new game to get it.

masterkajo

DEUS EX UK boxed copy GET! Including Explosive Mission Pack... apparently (Limited Edition)... but steam won't let me install it yet... AHHHH!!!!!!!

Can I just input that code for the extra DLC the same way or do I have to start the game first (1day 10hours) and then input it (I don't quite get their wording on the card).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Solo said:
Gears of War mechanics comparisons :p

Still nothing more than an unfortunate personal issue.

As for hacking, it is too easy. Later locks will offer some trouble as the various nodes take longer to hack, and if you trip the detection system early you'll be traced faster than you can hack. But you can build up a pretty large stockpile of nukes/worms for backup, and with a few points in the right hacking skills you'll be hard pressed to find any of them difficult.

Im kinda glad the auto hacking tool isn't in the vanilla build.

MNC

The cover is good in this game because it augments (hyukhyuk) the stealth, IMO. In Deus Ex 1 it was more realistic, peeking around corners, but it works a tad better with this.

Dunlop

the long load times are staring to wear on me, I've died a billion times trying to figure out
how to get in the fuckingmorgue

epmode

Dani said:
How do you hack two nodes at the same time? Not at the game at the moment to check if it is an aug upgrade or something I've overlooked.
You just do it. If two or more nodes are accessible from the nodes you currently own, you can attack them. Kind of seems like it kills any strategy and makes it more twitchy but I'm still very early on.

I do love the idea of the hacking system and what I've seen shows that there can be some interesting variety in the future so it's a shame to hear that it stays so easy.

Interfectum said:
Shit... oh well. I guess my I'll have a little lethal fun in my first playthrough then. I haven't killed anyone since the intro.
That's basically the way I'm looking at it as well. I didn't want to kill anyone in the prologue but I also didn't want to continuously re-load saves to get my most desired result --- so when I got spotted I opened fire. I think it will probably work out in the long run though because my first playthrough will be less stressful and I won't have to sit through all of the re-loads that come with trying to maintain ghost status through every mission.

Really enjoying it so far; am just exploring Detroit after the first mission. No casualties
except for the Purity party people I popped
. Can't wait to play it tonight after work.

Solo said:

The hacking is fine.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SLV said:
bah, i hate when people only have Gears of War as a comparison for the cover system of this gen, to me it will always be Kill Switch !
Yes, Kill.Switch did it first, but Gears polished it up and made it work well. The cover system in K.S simply wasn't that good. Gears of War was infinitely superior in this regard.

Kill.Switch wasn't even a good game, really. There's a difference between doing something first and doing something well.

Jarlaxle

I'm really enjoying the game so far. I have a question about the 1st mission after augmentation though:

I thought I went through almost every room in the place but I never found the hostages. I have a save right before ending the mission. Can I go back to save them? Where exactly are they? Does it really matter? I really would hate to have to go all the way back through those rooms as I'm working on a silent run. If it's only some experience I missed I'll just keep plowing forward.

Solo

dark10x said:
Yes, Kill.Switch did it first, but Gears polished it up and made it work well. The cover system in K.S simply wasn't that good. Gears of War was infinitely superior in this regard.

Kill.Switch wasn't even a good game, really. There's a difference between doing something first and doing something well.

Yep, which is why I worded it as such:

Solo said:
reminded of the game that, while it didn't invent the cover mechanic, popularized it

Gears didn't invent cover, but it made it good.

Megasoum

Banned
SLV said:

Pff Kill Switch...for me it's Winback all the way! lol

SLV

dark10x said:

You are so mean ;( i enjoyed it 7 years ago

Daeda

Jarlaxle said:
I'm really enjoying the game so far. I have a question about the 1st mission after augmentation though:

I thought I went through almost every room in the place but I never found the hostages. I have a save right before ending the mission. Can I go back to save them? Where exactly are they? Does it really matter? I really would hate to have to go all the way back through those rooms as I'm working on a silent run. If it's only some experience I missed I'll just keep plowing forward.

It doesnt really matter story wise but anyway:

The are locked in a room opposite of the great area you enter after the first decontamination area. The room is above the corridor where you encounter the first cameras. To reach them, you can either walk through the doors or find a ventshaft.

Top Bottom