• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Yeah, I love pretty much everything about this game except for it forcing me to skip a side-mission I was planning to get back to, which was specifically brought about because of an action I took on the first mission. I was REALLY pissed the game didn't tell me I wouldn't be able to do it after starting a main one.

Lesson learned, don't do main quests if you have side ones still around!

Other than that, the loadtimes suck, and I find myself loading A LOT.

But these are minor complaints when the game is this fucking good. I plan on playing through it again at some point. It is probably the best game I've played all year alongside Dead Space 2.

edit: I also wish it kept more auto-saves than two, and did a better job at describing the ones you do have.

Jarlaxle said:
I'm really enjoying the game so far. I have a question about the 1st mission after augmentation though:

I thought I went through almost every room in the place but I never found the hostages. I have a save right before ending the mission. Can I go back to save them? Where exactly are they? Does it really matter? I really would hate to have to go all the way back through those rooms as I'm working on a silent run. If it's only some experience I missed I'll just keep plowing forward.
I found a vent that led me to a room with three or four dead hostages sitting in chairs. I assumed that the hostages being dead was a story beat and there was no chance of saving them because that's just how the game was. I would love to hear from someone if it was possible to save any hostages during that mission.

Solo said:
Fair enough. My question still stands though: is there some nuance I am missing or is hacking pretty much impossible NOT to be successful at?

It's been my experience so far that the hacking isn't hard to get the node to unlock whatever it is you're trying to do, but that it's considerably harder to do that and get all the extra stuff, specifically the data centers that give you more worms/nukes/xp. Those nodes are typically far enough out of the way that if you get caught early, you probably can't get to them.

Looking for a one word answer to the following (post first boss):

Do you return to the Detroit hub and have the opportunity to finish up side quests after beating Barrett in the underground FEMA facility?

BobsRevenge

The_Darkest_Red said:
I found a vent that led me to a room with three or four dead hostages sitting in chairs. I assumed that the hostages being dead was story beat and there was no chance of saving them because that's just how the game was. I would love to hear from someone if it was possible to save any hostages during that mission.
I found the vent too, but
maybe I was doing the mission faster than you. I got to them and saved them by hacking the gas dispenser thingie.

edit:
MrCompletely said:

Do you return to the Detroit hub and have the opportunity to finish up side quests after beating Barrett in the underground FEMA facility?
No, my sidequest with
the guy from the end of the first mission
was canceled, but I don't know about the others. I'd assume they would be too, but I can't be certain.

Yeah, that pissed me off in a big way. You do go back to the city hub though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MrCompletely said:

Yes.

Jarlaxle said:
I'm really enjoying the game so far. I have a question about the 1st mission after augmentation though:

I don't know if you can go back, but here's where to look:
they're in a room overlooking the first lab you come to, the one out of the first decontamination chamber. I think. Maybe the second lab. The room has white glass windows and two doors. And yes, they can be saved.

Gattsu25

Banned
Jarlaxle said:

I thought I went through almost every room in the place but I never found the hostages. I have a save right before ending the mission. Can I go back to save them? Where exactly are they? Does it really matter? I really would hate to have to go all the way back through those rooms as I'm working on a silent run. If it's only some experience I missed I'll just keep plowing forward.
You remember the room where you find the enemies flipping out over the hostage they just killed? That room on the other second floor balcony.

pakkit

Banned
I'm taking in all of the atmosphere and working my way to the Detroit Police Station, and so far my only real gripe is the main character's voice acting. It's so clearly reminiscent of MGS's Hayter. For a game with otherwise excellent voice acting, I think they could have afforded to give a little more emotion to the main character, but instead opted to make him distant, cold and robotic without sounding like a robot. It's the easy way out.

I know a lot of players hated on Phelps in LA Noire for being a whiny, erratic sonofabitch, but I preferred his off-the-wall, slightly dislikable personality to the blank slates most games give players. If I can develop my characters abilities, decisions, and conversations, let his voice change too to reflect that.

Also, the character models animate terribly. Deus Ex indeed!

Questions regarding the first mission post-aug:
I took my sweet little time in Sarif offices rummaging through peoples' email and breaking into their cells, and was told all the hostages had been killed by the time I arrived to the mission. If I had gone sooner, would I have been able to save more of them than just Josie?
Games often hint at the idea of time-sensitivity, but it's usually just a paper-thin ploy to attempt to move the player at the pace the developers have established.

BobsRevenge said:
I found the vent too, but
maybe I was doing the mission faster than you, but I got to them and saved them by hacking the gas dispenser thingie.
Well Sarif was constantly nagging me to start that mission so maybe I really did take too long. Also, I got spotted pretty early on so I think I triggered an alarm system that was going off during the rest of the mission. Maybe the hostages get killed as soon as you're spotted, but I'm guessing they would have been dead any way because I took so long to start the mission.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Played the preview, so can't wait to start when this biotch unlocks here in yurp, but loving the fact that people are playing the first mission without
even once encountering the hostages
lol

BobsRevenge

The_Darkest_Red said:
Well Sarif was constantly nagging me to start that mission so maybe I really did take too long. Also, I got spotted pretty early on so I think I triggered an alarm system that was going off during the rest of the mission. Maybe the hostages get killed as soon as you're spotted, but I'm guessing they would have been dead any way because I took so long to start the mission.
I got spotted a few times before then.

Solo said:
In Detroit. Your quest journal lists the sidequests as S1, S2, etc. I have S1, S3, S4, S5, but no S2.
I think that's the one you get from a guy in your office?

Daeda

Solo said:
Who/where is Side Mission 2?

Not sure which side is 2, but there are three side missions in Detroit:

1) Someone at the office, you will be contatcted to meet him in your office after you visit David Sarif

2) Megans Mom, who will talk to you as soon as you exit Sarif

3) Some undercover cop, disguised as a prostitute. You can find her near the entrance to Derelict Row leaning agains a wall.

EDIT: wait I remember a fourth one:

IF you save the hostages and Josie, her husband will ask you to visit them. This visit is a side quest.

Deadbeat

Banned
dark10x said:
Yes, Kill.Switch did it first, but Gears polished it up and made it work well. The cover system in K.S simply wasn't that good. Gears of War was infinitely superior in this regard.
Then Rainbow Six Vegas took a giant dump on Gears of War.

Solo

Daeda said:
Not sure which side is 2, but there are three side missions in Detroit:

3) Some undercover cop, disguised as a prostitute. You can find her near the entrance to Derelict Row leaning agains a wall.

Don't have this one, thanks!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Solo said:
In Detroit. Your quest journal lists the sidequests as S1, S2, etc. I have S1, S3, S4, S5, but no S2.

I...didn't notice it listed them like that. Which sidequests have you finished?

EDIT: Nevermind.

butts

Only got about an hour to play this last night but it was pretty awesome. At first I thought they fucked up the mouse control though but realized I had vsync on. The only thing that is strange is the fact that you move a lot faster when strafing, to the point where strafing feels broken. Am I the only one that is feeling this? I haven't read anybody else complain about it.

BobsRevenge said:
I got spotted a few times before then.
Interesting. I guess that's not it then. All I know is David Sarif kept telling me to get to the helipad but I kept ignoring him because I thought it was just one of those "HURRY! YOU ONLY HAVE 10 SECONDS TO GET HERE! (but go ahead and take as long as you want)" type moments that are always in games. I think it's awesome that they punished me (or, more appropriately, those hostages) for assuming that.

Solo

BobsRevenge said:
They seem to as long as no one tries to wake them up.

Its fun to shoot a guy with the tranq gun, leave his body in the open, snipe the next guy just before he tries to wake him up, and repeat.

BobsRevenge

The_Darkest_Red said:
Interesting. I guess that's not it then. All I know is David Sarif kept telling me to get to the helipad but I kept ignoring him because I thought it was just one of those "HURRY! YOU ONLY HAVE 10 SECONDS TO GET HERE! (but go ahead and take as long as you want)" type moments that are always in games. I think it's awesome that they punished me (or, more appropriately, those hostages) for assuming that.
Haha, yeah, I'm already finding a bunch of stuff to do on my second playthrough that I missed in Detroit.

robotzombie said:
Okay, is there any chance anyone would be able to help me with this, I hate to be so annoying, but I really don't want 50 bucks to go down the drain instantly, so I'll post this again:

Anyone else happen to be running into a problem where the game freezes whenever you go into the save screen from the start menu? Because it keeps happening to me and its really getting annoying.

PC version.

Here are the specs

Intel i7-740QM (1.73GHz Quad-Core with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz)
8GB RAM (DDR3 1333MHz), 2GB x 4 SODIMM Sockets, up to 16GB
Nvidia GTX 460M Graphics with 1.5GB GDDR5

I really just cant play because it freezes whenever I try to deal with the start menu and saving/loading. The game starts up normally, when it first starts there are some hesitations and choppiness which end up going away after a minute. Is it something where I should be turning down some graphics options or something?

For the record, here is how it automatically set up on my pc:

res 1920x1080
refresh rate 60hz
AntiAliasing MLAA
Texture Filtering Trilinear
Shadows Normal
SSAO Normal
DOF Normal

V-Sync enabled
Post-processing enabled
Tessellation enabled

any suggestions?

One more try, any advice would be appreciated

/XX/

SLV said:
bah, i hate when people only have Gears of War as a comparison for the cover system of this gen, to me it will always be Kill Switch !
Well, that's true, but a more fitting comparison would be with Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas, that appeared practically at the same time as Gears of War, but also was a title Jean-François Dugas worked in and lifted its cover system from (or was influenced by it), admittedly so as well:

For the cover system, well, I don’t know if you played Rainbow Six: Vegas, but it is similar: there is no automatic cover, if you don’t hold the button then you are not going into cover, release it and you go out from cover. It’s very simple, very natural, and it gives you a good sense of what is going on in the environment to help you plan your next move. Of course if you wanted to just stay in first-person you can do that. There’s no mechanic tied to the cover, especially for stealth, it is not tied to the cover mechanism.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/13/deus-ex-3-jean-francois-dugas-interview/

I love these MGS related trophy/achievement names.

Not really a spoiler but marked just in case:

-"Foxiest of the Hounds" - Complete Deus Ex: Human Revolution without setting off any alarms.
-"The Mantis"
-"The Snake"
-"The End"

coopolon

/XX/ said:
Well, that's true, but a more fitting comparison would be with Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas, that appeared practically at the same time as Gears of War, but also was a title Jean-François Dugas worked in and lifted its cover system from (or was influenced by it), admittedly so as well:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/13/deus-ex-3-jean-francois-dugas-interview/

Heh, isn't there a tool tip that tells you that you should really use cover when playing stealthy early in the game?

WhiskeyKnight said:
Does this game have a dialog system? What's the NPC interaction like?
Yes it does. You can talk to any of the NPC's but most of them just talk back to you with two lines of dialogue. Certain characters who are more story-related trigger a conversation with a Mass Effect style dialogue system where you can choose to respond in up to 4 different ways, only there are no arbitrary moral values given to any of the choices. So basically, it's like Mass Effect but not silly.

BobsRevenge

ZippyB said:
Looks like bladerunner with the free roaming elements of fallout. Gonna keep an eye out for this one.
More accurately it's Deus Ex in structure, with westernized MGS4-style gameplay. imo

zkylon

zkylewd
Is stuttering a common issue with HR? It's not too bad but i find stuttering really annoying. Ugh, and mouse controls. I think i'm gonna wait for the patch too, if it ever comes. Or at least the new Nvidia drivers.

megalowho

The_Darkest_Red said:
Yes it does. You can talk to any of the NPC's but most of them just talk back to you with two lines of dialogue. Certain characters who are more story-related trigger a conversation with a Mass Effect style dialogue system where you can choose to respond in up to 4 different ways, only there are no arbitrary moral values given to any of the choices. So basically, it's like Mass Effect but not silly.
They also spell out most, if not all, of what you're going to say so you aren't just picking an emotional response with no context. I quite like how conversation is being handled so far.

BobsRevenge

megalowho said:
They also spell out most, if not all, of what you're going to say so you aren't just picking an emotional response with no context. I quite like how conversation is being handled so far.
The conversations where you actually have to read people and pick the right response are so tense, especially when you start using the pheromones to influence them. I'm thinking of the guy in the police station, and the one with Serif at the end of Detroit.

Interfectum said:
You playing on Steam? :)
PS
consolepeasant
3 :(

BobsRevenge said:
The conversations where you actually have to read people and pick the right response are so tense, especially when you start using the pheromones to influence them. I'm thinking of the guy in the police station, and the one with Serif at the end of Detroit.
Especially because there are usually a few responses that sound reasonable, at least in the conversations I've had so far. I haven't made it to the ones that you mentioned yet.

ultron87

I asked this a few pages back but never got an answer:

Are the fragile cardboard boxes always empty? I hope they are, that way I can stop obsessively breaking every single one.

TheExodu5

Banned
robotzombie said:
One more try, any advice would be appreciated

1) Verify game cache (right click in Steam -> Properties -> Verify Game Cache)
2) If that fails, I assume this is some sort of I/O issue...maybe there's a corrupt save file in the save file directory that's making the game crash. Try deleting the directory? (I have no idea where it is)

Untracked

ultron87 said:
I asked this a few pages back but never got an answer:

Are the fragile cardboard boxes always empty? I hope they are, that way I can stop obsessively breaking every single one.
Someone a few pages back said yes they are always empty.

Hope my copy gets delivered this afternoon. I'm going out of my mind here!

Top Bottom