• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

wilflare

Sarcasm said:
If I can't afford should I buy? I have one day before it can be played (Means I get TF2 items)

Also will there be DLC?

if you don't have time to play. you can possibly wait for it to go cheaper :D

Quick question about Jenny / O'Malley:

If I speak to her between starting and finishing the mission, which she wants against, does she die? I ask only because when I finish all the objectives and go to debrief her, the game automatically fails two objectives at once - the return to her objective, and the remain undetected objective.

DryvBy

Story of my life:

My wife was getting me this as a not-surprised-at-all present. This happens every year. She was going to give me this early since my birthday is in a few days. I get home after 10 hours of work yesterday, or 10 hours of reading impressions of the game. My wife isn't home, she's at my mom's house. I decide to go over since I'm certain my wife has the package. I arrive and ask if she has it.

"Nope. Why would I have it today?"
"Because you picked release day shipping, right?"
"No, I'm not paying $5 extra to get it same day."
"It's free since I have Prime."

In the end, I was a sad panda. But oh well, this gives me time to finish up some other games until tomorrow.

wilflare

DryvBy2 said:
Story of my life:

My wife was getting me this as a not-surprised-at-all present. This happens every year. She was going to give me this early since my birthday is in a few days. I get home after 10 hours of work yesterday, or 10 hours of reading impressions of the game. My wife isn't home, she's at my mom's house. I decide to go over since I'm certain my wife has the package. I arrive and ask if she has it.

"Nope. Why would I have it today?"
"Because you picked release day shipping, right?"
"No, I'm not paying $5 extra to get it same day."
"It's free since I have Prime."

In the end, I was a sad panda. But oh well, this gives me time to finish up some other games until tomorrow.

that's still pretty sweet of your wife! :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, I'm very disappointed with the performance in this game.

The loading times are still lengthy (20-25 seconds) and there is additional hitching/skipping that occurs which was not present in the preview build.

FRAPS continues to report 60 fps, but the drops occur in some areas particularly while turning around. I'm shocked and surprised that this is occurring. The framerate stays high regardless, but these little hitches continue to pop up throughout. It isn't constant, but it occurs as you move through the world.

Seems that both problems are present for everyone (and whether or not you're bothered by them depends upon how sensitive you might be towards them).

Performance is the same regardless of how high or low the settings might be.

I suspect part of this is due to the way the game files are stored. If you check the directory, you'll see that the game is divided into 3 or 4 "bigfiles". Perhaps the issue is related to pulling data from the source files? During loading there is little activity on the drive (and I'm using an SSD even), memory usage remains under 1gb, and CPU activity is virtually nil. It's not pushing my system at all, yet requires a lot of time to load.

Surely there must be SOMETHING that can be done.

The preview build had these problems somewhat. Loading was just as long, but stuttering was limited to the Detroit hub. It was quite a bit more severe, but less constant in the hub, but in the final game, there is minor stuttering in most areas.

Is stuttering a common issue with HR? It's not too bad but i find stuttering really annoying. Ugh, and mouse controls. I think i'm gonna wait for the patch too, if it ever comes. Or at least the new Nvidia drivers.
Yes. It's extremely common and seems to be an inherent flaw in the way the game was coded.

Really cool moment: seeing a random fence in Detroit that seemingly has nothing behind it, jumping over it, and finding
the dead body holding the gun, and the personal secretary with an email from someone pleading him to get help at a hospital in response to his pained message that something had gone wrong in surgery.

I have no idea where the code is supposed to go or if it ties into the main story yet, but it's a really cool example of them putting stuff where in other games you'd assume it's just a wall.

So I'll be picking up my augmented edition tomorrow.

Anyone who played the leaked version - can you comment on whether there is a visible improvement in quality from then to now?

Just jumped to 65%. Getting there!

Funny thing happened, my windows defender got turned off, oh and windows is downloading updates atm, just great!

Is there anyone on GAF who won't pick the "I didn't ask for this" dialogue option when it pops up? I started laughing when I saw it and laughed even harder when Jensen said it.

Valravn

The_Darkest_Red said:
Is there anyone on GAF who won't pick the "I didn't ask for this" dialogue option when it pops up? I started laughing when I saw it and laughed even harder when Jensen said it.

Clicked on it immediately.

marjo

I'm loving the game so far. I was skeptical, but despite a lot of changes to the game mechanics, it really does invoke the feeling of the orignal Deus Ex.

So what augs are everybody using? For my first, I got the strength one that let's you pick up heavy objects, and have been having a lot of fun throwing dumspters at random street hobos. Just have to make sure there are no cops around when I do it, because they seem to frown on that kind of thing.

Moving dumbsters has also proven to be useful to get up to inaccessable places.

One dissapointment though is that I tried barricading a door with a refrigerator, but someone was still able to get in. Still, the fact that this game has me even considering such 'out of the box' thinking is why I love it so much.

coopolon

dark10x said:

The loading times are still lengthy (20-25 seconds) and there is additional hitching/skipping that occurs which was not present in the preview build.

FRAPS continues to report 60 fps, but the drops occur in some areas particularly while turning around. I'm shocked and surprised that this is occurring. The framerate stays high regardless, but these little hitches continue to pop up throughout. It isn't constant, but it occurs as you move through the world.

Seems that both problems are present for everyone (and whether or not you're bothered by them depends upon how sensitive you might be towards them).

Performance is the same regardless of how high or low the settings might be.

I suspect part of this is due to the way the game files are stored. If you check the directory, you'll see that the game is divided into 3 or 4 "bigfiles". Perhaps the issue is related to pulling data from the source files? During loading there is little activity on the drive (and I'm using an SSD even), memory usage remains under 1gb, and CPU activity is virtually nil. It's not pushing my system at all, yet requires a lot of time to load.

Surely there must be SOMETHING that can be done.

The preview build had these problems somewhat. Loading was just as long, but stuttering was limited to the Detroit hub. It was quite a bit more severe, but less constant in the hub, but in the final game, there is minor stuttering in most areas.

Yes. It's extremely common and seems to be an inherent flaw in the way the game was coded.

Heh, it's kind of funny, I read this post almost immediately after reading your post on the Steam forums about how good of a PC port this is.

Loving the game, but man is the load times brutal. I actual had a bowl of popcorn that I made and would use load times to take a break and have some.

I just don't get why it's so bad, I hope there is something patch wise that can fix it (or just even improve it) and it's not something so hardcoded into the engine that it can't be fixed.

jorgeton

Picked up the PS3 Augmented Edition yesterday and got $10 off! Hurray.

Anyway, so far I'm digging the game. I'm going to play it as stealthily as possible because I'm honestly a little burned out on FPSs and playing a game stealthily is new for me. It worked like gangbusters in the first mission, so yay for that.

My one gripe is the cut scene quality -- they look like muddy crap. WTF? It's just a minor thing, but it is very jarring when the image quality jumps from pristine HD to web video quality whenever a cut scene kicks in. Do the cut scenes look better on PC or 360?

jorgeton said:
Picked up the PS3 Augmented Edition yesterday and got $10 off! Hurray.

Anyway, so far I'm digging the game. I'm going to play it as stealthily as possible because I'm honestly a little burned out on FPSs and playing a game stealthily is new for me. It worked like gangbusters in the first mission, so yay for that.

My one gripe is the cut scene quality -- they look like muddy crap. WTF? It's just a minor thing, but it is very jarring when the image quality jumps from pristine HD to web video quality whenever a cut scene kicks in. Do the cut scenes look better on PC or 360?
No, it's pretty much the same as far as I've seen.

coopolon said:
They look like garbage on the PC, but some people have reported the videos are pretty on 360 in this thread.
Yeah, I really need to see what software was used on the PC version. It's reeks of Bink. If it's not them I'm a bit disturbed at the idea that someone has managed to make a shittier codec than Bink.

Mr_eX

I'm getting 30 FPS and it looks fine until I touch the mouse and then the aiming is really jerky. I'm going to try using my 360 pad when I get home, don't see why that would make a difference but it's worth trying I guess.

bob page

coopolon said:
They look like garbage on the PC, but some people have reported the videos are pretty on 360 in this thread.
You can tell there is a little compression on the 360 but it's definitely not noticeable or distracting unless you're looking for it. Certainly not garbage looking.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
I can officially say that I've come around to Jensen's voice, especially since his VA is much better than several others in this.

It took a little while (still in trailers), but I liked it.

Then again I liked a lot of the VO in the original. I used to always think the guy who did JC Denton was the guy who voiced Cornfed in Duckman. lol

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
ColonialRaptor said:
So I'll be picking up my augmented edition tomorrow.

Anyone who played the leaked version - can you comment on whether there is a visible improvement in quality from then to now?
I had a chance to play the augmented edition for a few hours yesterday. Notes on the differences so far:

Major things:

- In real-time sections, the game looks and runs much better for me. I run a 3-core Phenom II with a 4870 1GB, and while the leak was about 30-40 fps for me, the full version is easily 50-60, aside from the loading jitters that everyone has mentioned. This has vastly improved the look of the game for me. I'm not sure if the textures or anything are better either, but the game just looks so much better than it did before.
- I have a HUGE jitter during loading in FMVs. It's so bad that sometimes I think the game has crashed. This never happened in the preview build.
- Load times on quickloads/respawns seem to have been improved somewhat. They're still bad, but we're talking an improvement from multi-minute load times to maybe 30s-1 minute.

Minor things:

- The bug with random text showing up during the tutorial sections has been removed.
- More customization options for PC now. You can adjust the X and Y axes of your mouse sensitivity separately, and adjust FOV.
- Turning on FXAA mid-game caused an error for me and I thought the game crashed initially because the config tool popped up, but I went back to Edge AA and the game came right back up and put me back to where I was, with no loading. Maybe it just minimized instead.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
I can officially say that I've come around to Jensen's voice, especially since his VA is much better than several others in this.

I now love his voice, and my god I've just stepped into his apartment for the first time (having completed all the Detroit side missions) and I'm actually quite moved.

The wonderful soundtrack, the photos of him in the Army and of his parents, the email about Megan's dog, the general state of it. You don't really appreciate that you're playing a real person until moments like that.

Now, where the hell is the hidey-hole?!

Blizzard

Banned
dark10x said:

I suspect you may be right about the loading being due to big files. Mirror's Edge had some jerky level streaming for me in places, even when you weren't in an elevator. I suspect the jerky mouse or whatever that happens for some people is because of the Underworld engine, but it was working fine for me with triple buffering, vsync, and a 360 pad plugged in so I didn't have a problem. The rest of the performance has been 60 fps for me in most places even with my aging e8400, so I'm happy. I imagine being outside in Detroit will bog that down, and I'm rather afraid there aren't settings that are easy to tune down for better performance, since turning shadows off didn't seem to make any difference in the one 40 fps spot I found so far (maybe CPU limited).

Alebrije

I got a copy of DEUS EX INVISIBLE WAR for $5.00 but it seems I need to get now an old xbox (fuck!!).

Anyway I will receive my PS3 HUMAN REVOLUTION copy tomorrow ans since its a prequel I will play it while I get an XBOX.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Alebrije said:
I got a copy of DEUS EX INVISIBLE WAR for $5.00 but it seems I need to get now an old xbox (fuck!!).

Anyway I will receive my PS3 HUMAN REVOLUTION copy tomorrow ans since its a prequel I will play it while I get an XBOX.
They should have paid you $5.00 to take it off their hands.

I would bet the videos are the same as the console versions and that is the whole problem. They are going to look much worse at higher resolution and sitting closer to the screen on PC than they would at 720p on a TV. They are really quite terrible, they need to release a download for high resolution videos.

Also while the graphics are overall quite good on PC, some textures - usually text textures on whatever - are laughably low res. Hopefully modders will fix this.

These are some things that really hold it back from being close to a perfect game and it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't a console port.

Kind of an easter egg:

Did anyone listen in on the cops talking about the Robocop movie? The game is self-aware on how similar it is to that. lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
coopolon said:
Heh, it's kind of funny, I read this post almost immediately after reading your post on the Steam forums about how good of a PC port this is.
Well, it's not quite that cut and dried. A poster over there suggested that this was a "lazy port", which I don't believe is true at all. It's clear that a lot of effort was put into this version of the game.

I believe the issues here stem from the core engine itself as developed by the team in Montreal. Nixxes appears to have done the best they could with the engine they did not develop. Clearly the way the game handles data does not work well on the PC. John Carmack was recently noting some of these same issues in that they had a lot of trouble handling data streaming with Rage on the PC. Due to the extra control you have when working on a console platform, there are tasks that run much faster and more efficiently on the PS3 and 360 than they do on a high spec PC. The problems DXHR seems to have all directly relate to this sort of thing.

It's also the reason why all UE3 PC games suffer from minor hitching here and there as you move through the world. Data streaming just doesn't work well on the PC.

Crysis 2 actually demonstrates one of the other areas where this crops up. On consoles, the level loading is hidden behind videos that play between levels. When the level is loaded, you can skip the videos. On PC, those videos are just videos while the loading itself occurs in a separate screen. I've noticed this many times with PC versions of games in that developers rarely load level data while playing back a video. This is easy to handle on a console, but implementing it on the PC doesn't seem to be easy.

Game was a terrible sequel in 2003, but it has aged absolutely horribly and is virtually unplayable in 2011. The original game holds up much better than Invisible War.

Oh does anyone ever get random freezes (not requiring a reboot, just CAD to Desktop) when trying to load a save? It's only happened 2 or 3 times over maybe 10 times, but I can't seem to figure out what's caused it.

Yeah, playing on PS3 I've definitely noticed the low-quality cut-scenes.

blahblah...blah said:
I now love his voice, and my god I've just stepped into his apartment for the first time (having completed all the Detroit side missions) and I'm actually quite moved.

The wonderful soundtrack, the photos of him in the Army and of his parents, the email about Megan's dog, the general state of it. You don't really appreciate that you're playing a real person until moments like that.

Now, where the hell is the hidey-hole?!
Mind tagging those spoilers? I know I'm annoying.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Mind tagging those spoilers? I know I'm annoying.

Apologies. I figured some might consider them spoilers, but they're really not that significant so I didn't bother. Will keep it in mind for next time, though!

And seriously, someone tell me how to get into Jensen's
"hidey-hole"
. This was not intended to sound like such an innuendo.

Top Bottom