• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Sanic

I didn't end up getting this prior to launch due to the Touchpad thing, but now that that's out of the way... is this game of the forever material?

blahblah...blah said:
Apologies. I figured some might consider them spoilers, but they're really not that significant so I didn't bother. Will keep it in mind for next time, though!

And seriously, someone tell me how to get into Jensen's
"hidey-hole"
. This was not intended to sound like such an innuendo.
No big deal, I just want to have my cake and eat it too by avoiding all spoilers and still spending way too much time in this thread. Also, LOL at the innuendo.

DennisK4 said:
Are the loading times bad on a SSD as well?

Anyone here have the game installed on a fast SSD?
From what people were saying yesterday they seem to be just as bad regardless of how fast your HD is.

cackhyena

DennisK4 said:

I have a 120 gb Intel SSD. The load times are kinda on the long side. It's weird, because I could have sworn they were about half this in the leak build.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
blahblah...blah said:
Apologies. I figured some might consider them spoilers, but they're really not that significant so I didn't bother. Will keep it in mind for next time, though!

And seriously, someone tell me how to get into Jensen's
"hidey-hole"
. This was not intended to sound like such an innuendo.

Try the kitchen area.

zkylon

zkylewd
dark10x said:
Yes. It's extremely common and seems to be an inherent flaw in the way the game was coded.
Oh, it's unfortunate everyone's having the same problems. At least that way someone might come up with a solution.

I'm also having all the problems you list above, though SSAO does bring my FPS down, but my rig is kinda old so that's understandable.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DennisK4 said:

Yes, I'm using a fast SSD and it takes 20-25 seconds to load (timed). Many people are seeing screens last twice as long, however, and that includes some other SSD users.

However, as I've noted, the game is not accessing the drive during loading screens. It appears to be sitting there idle (CPU usage is low, memory usage is under 1GB, and SSD is going unused).

coopolon

Just in case anyone here isn't checking the Steam forum, one tip klkitchens found there was to turn off vsync completely in your GPU control panel. For Catalyst Control Center that meant going to Gaming, and turning Wait for Vertical Refresh all the way to the left to Always Off, not to "Off unless application specifies." For me this dropped my loading times from 40-50s to 20s, which still isn't great but a lot more manageable than 50s. This despite the fact that I had vsync turned off both in the in-game menu and in the out of game set up menu.

Still hope other issues are at play here that will be discovered and help drop the load times even more.

Dennis

Banned
dark10x said:
Yes, I'm using a fast SSD and it takes 20-25 seconds to load (timed). Many people are seeing screens last twice as long, however, and that includes some other SSD users.

However, as I've noted, the game is not accessing the drive during loading screens. It appears to be sitting there idle (CPU usage is low, memory usage is under 1GB, and SSD is going unused).
Sounds like patching time, soon!

dark10x

coopolon said:
Just in case anyone here isn't checking the Steam forum, one tip klkitchens found there was to turn off vsync completely in your GPU control panel. For Catalyst Control Center that meant going to Gaming, and turning Wait for Vertical Refresh all the way to the left to Always Off, not to "Off unless application specifies." For me this dropped my loading times from 40-50s to 20s, which still isn't great but a lot more manageable than 50s. This despite the fact that I had vsync turned off both in the in-game menu and in the out of game set up menu.

Still hope other issues are at play here that will be discovered and help drop the load times even more.
Wait, so you're playing without v-sync at all? Unacceptable for me and many others.

Interesting that it would impact loading, though.

eshwaaz

dark10x said:
OK, I'm very disappointed with the performance in this game.

The loading times are still lengthy (20-25 seconds) and there is additional hitching/skipping that occurs which was not present in the preview build.
I have to be honest - this actually makes me feel a bit better about the load times on 360. I had it installed to the HDD, and my load times are the same as yours.

cackhyena

coopolon said:

Thanks. Gonna try that.

coopolon

dark10x said:
Wait, so you're playing without v-sync at all? Unacceptable for me and many others.

Interesting that it would impact loading, though.

I'm using triple buffering via D3Doverrider.

Edit: I lied, when turning back on D3Doverrider load times shot back up. So yes, that would mean no vsync at all.

Edit 2: I thought I could play with screen tearing, but boy does it tear like a mofo.

So clearly if vsync is effecting load times something is very wrong and hopefully it will get patched.

dark10x

eshwaaz said:
I have to be honest - this actually makes me feel a bit better about the load times on 360. I had it installed to the HDD, and my load times are the same as yours.
Seriously. Loading on consoles is the same or faster than most PC users right now.

I've seen the IGN comparison and both the PS3 and 360 version (installed) require the same amount of time to load a level as my PC and are much faster than many other users PCs. Does not make sense.

The console versions do not have hitching or stuttering either, though they are obviously capped at 30 fps and can slowdown.

From what I've seen, the console experience is more consistent at this point (which should not be the case).

Dennis

Banned
eshwaaz said:
Yeah, very nice of them of them to artificially extend PC loading time to level the playing field!

shuri

Banned
can we get more gameplay impressions? This thread seems to be more about people having problems with the pc version than actual gameplay..

Aon

Beaten! Total of 18 hours I think. What a fantastic ride.

And every one, stick around for after the credits, MGS style. They carry it out with such damn aplomb.

ultron87

dark10x said:
From what I've seen, the console experience is more consistent at this point (which should not be the case).

It makes sense that it should be consistent. On consoles everyone has the exact same set up.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Only issue I've had is the load times (around 30 seconds), apart from that everything has been fine for me.

dark10x said:

Mine don't take that long and I don't have a SSD. Around 10 seconds.

bob page

Are the loading times even that bad? To be honest, I've barely noticed them. Maybe that's because I just got done with New Vegas, but I can name several games off-hand that have worse loading times than this (pertaining to 360, not PC).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
bob page said:
Are the loading times even that bad? To be honest, I've barely noticed them. Maybe that's because I just got done with New Vegas, but I can name several games off-hand that have worse loading times than this (pertaining to 360, not PC).
They're pretty horrific on my PC.

Aon said:
Beaten! Total of 18 hours I think. What a fantastic ride.

And every one, stick around for after the credits, MGS style. They carry it out with such damn aplomb.
Wow, that seems really short compared to most of the times I've seen in reviews and such. Did you spend much time doing side missions or just exploring or did you basically critical-path it? Does anyone know if there is a timer anywhere on the console versions of the game?

Confidence Man said:
That is so out of line with what everyone else has been saying. There's just no way...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The_Darkest_Red said:
Wow, that seems really short compared to most of the times I've seen in reviews and such. Did you spend much time doing side missions or just exploring or did you basically critical-path it? Does anyone know if there is a timer anywhere on the console versions of the game?

Some games attach it to the save data (e.g. Assassin's Creed).

dark10x

Confidence Man said:
Could you perhaps take a stop watch to them? I'm genuinely curious as I've yet to talk with anyone getting sub 20 second loading screens regardless of hardware.

If you truly are seeing load times that last only 10 seconds, I would love to know more about your configuration as you're literally the only person I've encountered with such speedy loading. Maybe the key to solving this lies somewhere on your machine?

Mission 1 stuff:

Where is the black guy's wife? In the hostage room if you talk to the black guy after saving them he says his wife is still being held hostage in an office or something and I can't fucking find that office despite the arrows on the signs pointing the way. GOTY, btw.

Daeda

Heavy said:
Mission 1 stuff:

Where is the black guy's wife? In the hostage room if you talk to the black guy after saving them he says his wife is still being held hostage in an office or something and I can't fucking find that office despite the arrows on the signs pointing the way. GOTY, btw.

Just finish the main objective, it will all become clear

dark10x

Heavy said:
Mission 1 stuff:

Finish the mission and you'll see.

ultron87

Heavy said:
Mission 1 stuff:

She's at the very end. Literally impossible to miss.

bob page said:
first loading for the intro was close to a minute. after that it's been less than 10 seconds which is good. then again i didn't finish mission 1 yet lol.

dark10x said:
Could you perhaps take a stop watch to them? I'm genuinely curious as I've yet to talk with anyone getting sub 20 second loading screens regardless of hardware.

I've been taking mental note of how many seconds are passing. I can try and record it in fraps if you want.

newsguy

Happy to report back and say this game rocks. I'm glad I went in worried about load times because they ended up not being so bad. I installed it on 360. I'm the type who restarts a checkpoint if I'm caught being stealthy, and the load times never felt so bad. I'm like 6 hours in. So far my favorite part is early in Detroit
when you're helping out the guy from the lab in the city and you have to take out the two thugs on the basketball court who are after him. One time I just beat them up, the next I got caught shooting them and got in a firefight with all the hobos in the area. But the best solution was going up the fire escape into a second story window and tranquillizing each one with my rifle. Just watching them drop and knowing I was safe and sound felt so good. Later I went down to drag the bodies and some guy gave me trouble so I quickly knocked him out and added to the pile.

Oh and in the first mission
I took the whole "look in every corner" thing literally so I started rummaging through all of sarifs building while he waited in the chopper. By the time I started the mission all of the hostages were dead anyway.

How is the difficulty?

I don't want to be frustrated, but in a game that offers so many options id like to be semi required to use them.

So normal or hard? Is normal a pushover?

JaseC

The_Darkest_Red said:
Yeah I know but not this one, unfortunately. :( It's one of those things that just bothers me way more than it should.

Oh, boo. :( (And by 'save data' I meant the save file itself, as stored on the console, in case that wasn't clear. I just noticed it could have come across as 'the save data you see in the load/save menu'.)

dark10x

Confidence Man said:
I've been taking mental note of how many seconds are passing. I can try and record it in fraps if you want.
Yes, that would be awesome. Even better if you could upload to Youtube.

You could even record a video with your phone and do the same. I just want to see if it is indeed possible for the game to load that quickly.

Fjordson

bob page said:
Lmao, I'm in the same boat. Been playing New Vegas on 360 an insane amount the past few weeks, and am now going straight into this, so HR's loads are barely noticeable for me.

JaseC said:
Oh, boo. :( (And by 'save data' I meant the save file itself, as stored on the console, in case that wasn't clear. I just noticed it could have come across as 'the save data you see in the load/save menu'.)
Yeah I looked there as well, no luck. I don't know what it is exactly but it just drives me crazy playing a game (especially a longer one) and not knowing how much time I've put into it. Not quite crazy enough for me to keep track myself, though.

Blizzard

Banned
Jintor said:
Anyone have a solution for the horrendous mouse sensitivity/acceleration?
Try adjusting the mouse sensitivity for X and Y. I think lowering them helped me, at least for X acceleration.

I also played -without- D3DOverrider running, with vsync and triple buffering turned on, and with a 360 pad plugged in before starting the game. I don't know if any of those helped but my mouse seemed fine.

However, I'm really not a fan of the jumpy animated menus. Like every Scaleform game ever has obnoxious menus and these feel laggy. Curse you Flash!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I did run into a slight problem last night.

I had walked into the Police Station, and kind of...got into a gunfight. I was running out of dodge, made it through the door. Loaded into the Outside world with 4 hp left. Oops, Cops still hate me, BLAMO I'm dead.

Load Autosave: Load outside the Police Station, Cops still hate my 4 hp self, BLAMO, I'm dead.

Thankfully, had a slightly older save.

Now wondering, how I'm going to
get to the Morgue, now that the Cops hate me

jorgeton

lowhighkang_LHK said:
How is the difficulty?

I don't want to be frustrated, but in a game that offers so many options id like to be semi required to use them.

So normal or hard? Is normal a pushover?

I'm playing it on normal and I've already bitten it a couple of times. At least early on, Jansen can't take many hits, like literally three or four hits and it's game over. It adds a nice bit of tension when sneaking around. But it looks like you can adjust the difficulty any time in case it gets too tough or not tough enough.

JaseC

The_Darkest_Red said:
Yeah I looked there as well, no luck. I don't know what it is exactly but it just drives me crazy playing a game (especially a longer one) and not knowing how much time I've put into it. Not quite crazy enough for me to keep track myself, though.

Yeah, it's something I like to have a look at after I'm done with a game too. Sometimes I wonder if the game took me as long as I thought, but other times I'm just curious. Steam is useful in this regard in that it tracks the hours played of all your particular games. It's a pity PS3/X360 user accounts don't have something similar.

Top Bottom