• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

clip

Alright dudes, give me your opinion on this one.

My specz:
i7 3.36 GHZ
8 GB RAM
GTX 260
Latest nVidia drivers

Regardless of whatever my video settings are, the game will launch and I can navigate the menus just fine. Once I actually load into a level, the game will CTD with an error message I should probably take a screenshot of.

Now here is the tricky bit, if I turn my settings to MAX, the game will not crash, and run wonderfully. If I turn even one setting down, or turn V-Sync off or something like that, it will crash.

What's the deal?

cackhyena

clip said:

My specz:
i7 3.36 GHZ
8 GB RAM
GTX 260
Latest nVidia drivers

Regardless of whatever my video settings are, the game will launch and I can navigate the menus just fine. Once I actually load into a level, the game will CTD with an error message I should probably take a screenshot of.

Now here is the tricky bit, if I turn my settings to MAX, the game will not crash, and run wonderfully. If I turn even one setting down, or turn V-Sync off or something like that, it will crash.

What's the deal?
Wait, if it's running great with everything maxed, why bother with the "problem"?

clip

cackhyena said:
Wait, if it's running great with everything maxed, why bother with the "problem"?

It's just weird! I had originally run the game at MAX settings and played for an hour or so, then when I came back to play later I wanted to turn off V-Sync, because someone had said that it may help with the mouse controls, and wa-bam, crash-time.

Aon

The_Darkest_Red said:
Wow, that seems really short compared to most of the times I've seen in reviews and such. Did you spend much time doing side missions or just exploring or did you basically critical-path it? Does anyone know if there is a timer anywhere on the console versions of the game?

I explored the hell out of everything after Detroit, which I already know off the back of my hand from the Preview. I also was only playing on Normal, where in the Preview I was playing on Hard. So I definitely blew through Detroit like a Bat Outta Hell, but I loitered my ass off in the rest of the game.

Looking through the achievements, I skipped only one side quest outside of the Preview material and hit the rest of them, so while there is time to add onto mine, I sure as hell didn't critical path the thing.

Can't wait till the sun rises tomorrow and I get to start my Give Me Deus Ex redux no kills run. Should take a bit longer? Who can say.

Also, Boss #2 and #3 are sensational fights that feel right out of a Metal Gear game, lack of a long winded death speech aside. Really creative fights with amazing atmosphere.

Although the forced boss fights are still kind of jarring. As is a game play change right at the end of the game, which I desperately want to discuss with someone but won't spoil. You will go WTF. It's just, wow.

dark10x said:
Yes, that would be awesome. Even better if you could upload to Youtube.

You could even record a video with your phone and do the same. I just want to see if it is indeed possible for the game to load that quickly.

My bad, I guess I was counting slowly because it is around 20 secs timed with my phone. Doesn't really feel that long though. I must be too used to longer in other games.

shuri said:
can we get more gameplay impressions? This thread seems to be more about people having problems with the pc version than actual gameplay..

I almost wish there were seperate PC performance and gameplay threads. This is why I prefer console games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Confidence Man said:
My bad, I guess I was counting slowly because it is around 20 secs timed with my phone. Doesn't really feel that long though. I must be too used to longer in other games.
OK, so your results are consistent with mine. Guess we can only wait for a patch (if that).

lowhighkang_LHK said:
How is the difficulty?

I don't want to be frustrated, but in a game that offers so many options id like to be semi required to use them.

So normal or hard? Is normal a pushover?

Well normal for me so far is challenging but certainly not too hard. I will say I find smart weapon assault easier than sneaking, but sneaking is so satisfying.

randomwab

My Euro CE arrived!

SFBa9.jpg

Cyrillus

I am certainly in love with this game, but I have to also chime in about the lengthy load times. It seems especially frustrating given the incentive to re-load tricky parts when trying to complete missions with the ghost xp bonus. Having to sit for more than a minute between loads should be considered unacceptable with an SSD. Especially considering Resource Monitor shows that the drive isn't even being accessed rigorously during those load times, and the CPU is also sitting almost idle.

The game is kind of tough on normal ( I like it, its more realistic ) but I am dying often. The 360 version runs great and loading times are about 10-15 seconds but they don't happen that often unless you die, If you have played fallout then you can handle this.

I love how after I die I can approach a room completely different then before like going stealth etc.

so yeah GREAT game.

edit: oh yeah the Soundtrack is really fucking good!

1stStrike

Banned
I can't believe how bad I am at this game lol. I'm also super impatient - I want more augments, but it takes so long to level up right now :|

Cyrillus said:
I am certainly in love with this game, but I have to also chime in about the lengthy load times. It seems especially frustrating given the incentive to re-load tricky parts when trying to complete missions with the ghost xp bonus. Having to sit for more than a minute between loads should be considered unacceptable with an SSD. Especially considering Resource Monitor shows that the drive isn't even being accessed rigorously during those load times, and the CPU is also sitting almost idle.

Thats really interesting, i wonder what the game is doing during CPU idle and SSD idle? copying stuff between buffers? or synchronizing some behind the scenes events, thats weird

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
randomwab said:
My Euro CE arrived!

SFBa9.jpg
I didn't expect this, but I actually think the US CE looks better (outside of the actual cover)

DrBo42

clip said:

My specz:
i7 3.36 GHZ
8 GB RAM
GTX 260
Latest nVidia drivers

What's the deal?

An idiot idea here but perhaps it saved some sort of config with your initial settings at some point and now it's seeing a change and unable to process it correctly.

Yaska

So could anyone pm me the way to the VPN workaround. I'm really bad with these stuff. Also is it allowed to use vpn to trick the system? didn't find anything in subscriber agreement or terms of use.

I have no idea how to spend my points on augmentations. I want to play stealthily but idk... after just the first mission I was getting caught left and right.

jorgeton said:
I'm playing it on normal and I've already bitten it a couple of times. At least early on, Jansen can't take many hits, like literally three or four hits and it's game over. It adds a nice bit of tension when sneaking around. But it looks like you can adjust the difficulty any time in case it gets too tough or not tough enough.

K, thx.

I wish the way ammo was handled was a little more realistic. I feel like enemies should either run out of ammo (considering they are usually carrying only a few bullets plus a few in the gun) or have a lot more ammo on them. I'm guessing it was a decision done for balancing reasons to discourage rambo-esque players from succeeding easily but it can be a bit jarring at times because I always feel like I don't have enough ammo for my weapons. It's a minor issue though, and some would probably argue that it's a good thing.

What are some of the best augments for early game you think? Is the move heavy objects any good? Just what are the most useful in the beginning. I am playing mostly stealthy.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
The_Darkest_Red said:
I wish the way ammo was handled was a little more realistic. I feel like enemies should either run out of ammo (considering they are usually carrying only a few bullets plus a few in the gun) or have a lot more ammo on them. I'm guessing it was a decision done for balancing reasons to discourage rambo-esque players from succeeding easily but it can be a bit jarring at times because I always feel like I don't have enough ammo for my weapons. It's a minor issue though, and some would probably argue that it's a good thing.
Add me on the camp that thinks its a good thing. Having too much ammo is less fun than having too little. Having too little forces me to conserve & think. I prefer all my games like this, though.

Sorry for the silly question but:

I bought the Augmented Edition from Steam. Where do I find my DLC items? It's not under "View Downloadable Content" when I right-click the game from my Installed Game List or anything.

Sullichin

I agree that this thread is starting to deplete my boner battery with all of this PC performance talk.

I got the PS3 version last night and I love it. The last big budget game I bought was Crysis 2, and Dues Ex just makes it seem like Crysis doesn't have a soul. I'm loving the integrated storytelling mechanics, the consistent aesthetic, and the slow pace of the gameplay. I only did the first mission, focusing on stealth, and it felt akin to going to a dungeon in an RPG before returning back to the over world. It just combines so many elements and mechanics that I love about games, and so far it seems to be combining them pretty perfectly. I haven't played any of the other DE games but I'm really liking the world and the lore. But, I'm also ignorant to which mechanics were present in previous games and which were lifted (graciously) from other great games. I want to go home and play this!

coopolon

The_Darkest_Red said:

I think having to think about your ammo is always a good thing but this game really over does it. And it's also kind of jarring having the enemies empty infinite clips into the cover your hiding behind but only actually having one or two bullets on them. I mean, I guess they just used all their ammo on you, but somehow whenever I kill someone who didn't fire anything he only had a few rounds to start with, and every person I kill after they fired always happen to die right as they near the end of their ammo.

DrBo42

Heavy said:
What are some of the best augments for early game you think? Is the move heavy objects any good? Just what are the most useful in the beginning. I am playing mostly stealthy.
Best is the stealth ability early game. Move heavy objects is something more secondary. Go for the essentials for how you want to play. Stealthy hacker? Put some more points into your capture and stealth hacking skills etc.

TenshiOni said:

I bought the Augmented Edition from Steam. Where do I find my DLC items? It's not under "View Downloadable Content" when I right-click the game from my Installed Game List or anything.
Someone was saying it's in tools somewhere, I think.

Dizzy-4U

TenshiOni said:

Go to the "Tools" section. It's there.

Syriel

Solo said:
Fair enough. My question still stands though: is there some nuance I am missing or is hacking pretty much impossible NOT to be successful at?

In the early game, hacking is stupid easy, especially on the Level 1 and Level 2 machines. As you progress it does get more difficult, requiring you to plot out your path in much more detail and/or make use of items like stop and nuke.

The look of the system can also be deceiving, with some of the simple layouts having a complex look and others looking more direct, but being much more difficult in terms of time to plot the proper path.

If you upgrade your hacking augment all the way up, the hacking bit in general does get near impossible to lose on the lower level systems, but remains a challenge on the higher level systems.

Darklord

Banned
Jintor said:
Anyone have a solution for the horrendous mouse sensitivity/acceleration?

Yeah, it's bad. I had to turn the sensitivity to about. 1 bar and even then it feels weird. Other than that it runs great. Maxed settings, 60fps, 1080p. Delicious.

Also, dat soundtrack!

Aselith

Heavy said:
Hacking and social is what I got first.

DrBo42 said:
Best is the stealth ability early game. Move heavy objects is something more secondary. Go for the essentials for how you want to play. Stealthy hacker? Put some more points into your capture and stealth hacking skills etc.

Someone was saying it's in tools somewhere, I think.
You mean the cloaking stealth ability tree? Or the tree with vision cones and noise radius and so on? If the cloaking stealth tree then I'd imagine getting some points in the extra energy cell tree would be worth it. The vision cones in the other tree sound like they could be quite useful.

And I still don't understand hacking lol... I just click on em as fast as I can and get to the green node before the timer runs out.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Heavy said:
You mean the cloaking stealth ability tree? Or the tree with vision cones and noise radius and so on? If the cloaking stealth tree then I'd imagine getting some points in the extra energy cell tree would be worth it

And I still don't understand hacking lol... I just click on em as fast as I can and get to the green node before the timer runs out.
That's the thing man, you choose your augments. Base it off your playstyle.

Zeth

This game is fucking incredible. I've never been this engrossed in a game world. Also the music and sound design are god-like.

K2Valor said:
Add me on the camp that thinks its a good thing. Having too much ammo is less fun than having too little. Having too little forces me to conserve & think. I prefer all my games like this, though.
I'm kind of mixed on it, really. On one hand I like it because it forces me to play more stealthily and conservatively (which I enjoy) but on the other hand I want to feel like I have enough ammo when I do a separate, more aggressive playthrough.

When I think about other games with similar gameplay, like the MGS games, I recall always having plenty of ammo but still opting for the stealthy approach under most circumstances. So it's not like you would be restricted from playing that way just because you have an adequate amount of ammo, it's just that you have more options.

Then again, I can understand the enjoyment that comes with being forced into a more conservative play-style. Like I said, I'm mixed on it.

Hawk269

Jtrizzy said:
What settings should I have on? I'm. Getting constant crashes

Well the in-game settings I am using is everything set to the max. Basically every slider on or to the right where you are on the last one.

As far as settings in the driver, the only thing that I do have set that I know some dont is set the power mode in global settings to "prefer maximum power". Not sure if that will help you. Perhaps posting your global nvidia settings me or someone else can help?

Aon

Heavy said:

When I start up my hard run, I'm definitely going beeline for the higher jump feet and the ability to move heavy objects. With the lack of invisible walls in HR, those two work together super well and let you make some pretty awesome alternate routes.

Heavy objects is also really nice because you can take those tall boxes and put them between a security camera and something you might want to hack, since you can't hack crouched.

Gvaz

Banned
clip said:

My specz:
i7 3.36 GHZ
8 GB RAM
GTX 260
Latest nVidia drivers

What's the deal?
Do you have updated direct x or VC++ or whatever installed?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Darklord said:
Yeah, it's bad. I had to turn the sensitivity to about. 1 bar and even then it feels weird. Other than that it runs great. Maxed settings, 60fps, 1080p. Delicious.

Also, dat soundtrack!
Make sure the bar for the Y axis is two notches above the X.

Solo

DennisK4 said:
Are the loading times bad on a SSD as well?

Anyone here have the game installed on a fast SSD?

Loading times are bad period, regardless of hardware.

Also, I have V-sync on and am still seeing lots of tearing.

Aon said:
When I start up my hard run, I'm definitely going beeline for the higher jump feet and the ability to move heavy objects. With the lack of invisible walls in HR, those two work together super well and let you make some pretty awesome alternate routes.

Heavy objects is also really nice because you can take those tall boxes and put them between a security camera and something you might want to hack, since you can't hack crouched.
Very interesting, thanks. The jumping one sounds great...making your own routes. This game is a treasure trove of awesome.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Lonestar said:
I did run into a slight problem last night.

I had walked into the Police Station, and kind of...got into a gunfight. I was running out of dodge, made it through the door. Loaded into the Outside world with 4 hp left. Oops, Cops still hate me, BLAMO I'm dead.

Load Autosave: Load outside the Police Station, Cops still hate my 4 hp self, BLAMO, I'm dead.

Thankfully, had a slightly older save.

Now wondering, how I'm going to
get to the Morgue, now that the Cops hate me
There are other ways in, some of which don't require being seen by ANYONE if you're careful.

Mindman said:
Same here brutha, same here.
I actually agree and I'm playing the PC version. This happens quite often. The Crysis 2 thread is a good example... like 75% of the posts are about messing with config files and tuning settings (many of which I'm a culprit of). Similar thing is happening here. This is a much deeper game than C2 with tons of features and gameplay options that deserve to be discussed rather than graphics settings. /2cents

MaizeRage25 said:
I almost wish there were seperate PC performance and gameplay threads. This is why I prefer console games.

YES! I want to talk about the game, not here are my specs why am I screen tearing? over and over again. The console people all seem to be having a good time, while the PC people only care about FPS and load times.

I am not trying to start anything that is just my observation in this thread.

.la1n

Zeth said:
This game is fucking incredible. I've never been this engrossed in a game world. Also the music and sound design are god-like.

I am dying to do a second play through but I swore I would clean up my backlog before I did. This thread only makes it worse but I can't stop clicking. I have a problem.

Choosing augments is a very difficult process for me because there are two camps of thought constantly warring with each other:

1. Choose augments that will allow you to see more of the game world i.e. improved hacking, higher jumping, heavy lifting, etc.

2. Choose augments that will allow you to move through the environments and enemies more efficiently i.e. cloak, vision cone, combat/stealth improving augments, etc.

They've done a great job of balancing the pros and cons of each approach (based on what I've seen so far, anyway) and it's really got my brain in a twist. It's an incredibly interesting system that they've created and I'm looking forward to seeing how well it's balanced over the long run.

Top Bottom