• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

sam27368

Banned
GAF how is long is a playthrough? I really want to play it but I'm at that age where time is sparse and I don't want to spread the experience out as I'll forget details along the way.

wutwutwut

JetBlackPanda said:
YES! I want to talk about the game, not here are my specs why am I screen tearing? over and over again. The console people all seem to be having a good time, while the PC people only care about FPS and load times.
You can't blame us for having higher standards. :)

I can already tell this game will take a long time to complete for me, played for 3 straight hours and didnt even finish the first mission, i wasntt exploring everything either!

Gvaz

Banned
I don't really see the point. I've been reading almost every post in this entire thread and the gameplay discussion is still 2:1. Calm down.

sam27368 said:
GAF how is long is a playthrough? I really want to play it but I'm at that age where time is sparse and I don't want to spread the experience out as I'll forget details along the way.

I remember hearing 25 hours from Eidos Montreal.

So probably around 15-20 hrs.
grin.gif

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
FantasticMrFoxdie said:
I remember hearing 25 hours from Eidos Montreal.

So probably around 15-20 hrs.
grin.gif
I'm currently at 9 hours and I'm not that close to finishing Detroit (I'm guessing) so I'd put money on my playthrough taking more than 25 hours.

Ourobolus

Banned
God I want to leave work and play this damn game.

I have to balance this game and Oblivion right now, because if I stop Oblivion completely I'll never get back to it, but I want to beat this game without firing a single shot (unless I'm forced to) as soon as possible. Grrrrrrr...

Zenith

Banned
I almost wish there were seperate PC performance and gameplay threads. This is why I prefer console games.

As a pc player I agree. Nothing more boring than a list of specs followed by how well it runs or a discussions about whether mouse smoothing is better on or off.

Gvaz

Banned
The leak took me about 10-11 hours at most to beat detroit, doing every single little thing. If you skip most of that stuff and just do the story and random sidequests, its more like 5 or 6.

Ourobolus said:
God I want to leave work and play this damn game.

I have to balance this game and Oblivion right now, because if I stop Oblivion completely I'll never get back to it, but I want to beat this game without firing a single shot (unless I'm forced to) as soon as possible. Grrrrrrr...

Solution: don't play Oblivion. At this point, it's kind of a waste of time, many better WRPGs out and coming out soon.

unless you're on PC and have fixed the game with mods.

My load times on the PS3 are pretty good: 15 seconds or so. Obviously its not ideal, but I've put up with much worse in my time (X-Com for the PS1 anyone?)

Marleyman

Banned
Anyone struggle with hacking at first? So far, so good though; love the story and the way they throw nuggets about the game world at you through ebooks and news. I am progressing through my first playthrough without any kills so far, which is tougher but such a good feeling. Can't wait to leave work and get back into it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It might not be the most 'useful' augmentation, but the icarus landing system makes you feel bad as hell.

Also, any decent mods out yet?

Ourobolus

Banned
Smision said:
Solution: don't play Oblivion. At this point, it's kind of a waste of time, many better WRPGs out and coming out soon.

unless you're on PC and have fixed the game with mods.
Yep.

And I'm aware there are better ones out and coming soon, but dammit I'm about 75% done with this one! :p

Ferrio

Banned
Solo said:
Its fun to shoot a guy with the tranq gun, leave his body in the open, snipe the next guy just before he tries to wake him up, and repeat.

Wait... there's a tranq gun? All I got is this stungun... it's making a no kill run very difficult on Deus EX difficulty.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The_Darkest_Red said:
Choosing augments is a very difficult process for me because there are two camps of thought constantly warring with each other:

1. Choose augments that will allow you to see more of the game world i.e. improved hacking, higher jumping, heavy lifting, etc.

2. Choose augments that will allow you to move through the environments and enemies more efficiently i.e. cloak, vision cone, combat/stealth improving augments, etc.

They've done a great job of balancing the pros and cons of each approach (based on what I've seen so far, anyway) and it's really got my brain in a twist. It's an incredibly interesting system that they've created and I'm looking forward to seeing how well it's balanced over the long run.
Yeah, I'm trying to crank my hacking as fast as possible, but I REALLY want to pick up things like double takedown and the social aug asap, too. It's agonizing.

stufte

Ferrio said:
Wait... there's a tranq gun? All I got is this stungun... it's making a no kill run very difficult on Deus EX difficulty.

before the very fist mission, you had a choice between long range or short range. you choose poorly. ;)

JetBlackPanda said:
YES! I want to talk about the game, not here are my specs why am I screen tearing? over and over again. The console people all seem to be having a good time, while the PC people only care about FPS and load times.

I am not trying to start anything that is just my observation in this thread.

That's certainly a very generalizing statement. PC people have all stated they love the actual game, it's just that technical issues are obviously a concern. Are you saying console players wouldn't talk about it if there was bad, sub 30 fps performance on consoles? I myself have had no technical troubles in my rig but it's definitely understandable if people want to find a fix so they can get back to playing the game.

Stallion Free said:
I'm currently at 9 hours and I'm not that close to finishing Detroit (I'm guessing) so I'd put money on my playthrough taking more than 25 hours.

Yeah I imagine this game would be hard to get a rough playtime depending on your style of play. I'm an explorer and I usually always play with stealth so it would probably take me 30+

Simo

Zeth said:
This game is fucking incredible. I've never been this engrossed in a game world. Also the music and sound design are god-like.

This. The music leading over the developer names and then the title screen....I mean I just left it sit there to listen to it with the sound system up high. And that is one sexy title screen.

I played for around 3 hours last and finally had to, reluctantly, call it quits during the latter part of the first mission. Totally loving it and again the game just immerses you in the world and I'm having really fun and rewarding time playing it more stealthy with no kills thus far and finding the alternate paths to situations has been a blast.

Though I read one Gaffer took his time at Sarif HQ to explore all the rooms and whatnot so I wanted to do the same, only to get chewed out by Sarif himself for taking too long with apparently led to
the death of 8 civilians
and Prichard calling me out for going in the ladie's room...

Zabojnik

God, how I hate Steam sometimes. I have the (EU) retail PC version here in my hands, but I can't play it because it hasn't been released yet. Torture, pure torture.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
JetBlackPanda said:

I am not trying to start anything that is just my observation in this thread.
Did you ever stop to think that some of the people talking about how much they enjoy the game... are also PC players?

Stallion Free said:
Shoulda asked for a non-lethal weapon on the first mission.

Lethal as possible. Whenever I get spotted, I kill the guys and go back and murder the sleeping guards. NO CHANCES

epmode

MaizeRage25 said:
I almost wish there were seperate PC performance and gameplay threads. This is why I prefer console games.
Agreed. Except for the part about preferring console games. The tweaking is part of the fun.

But yeah, it should be entirely separate from the official thread.

Sullichin

stutte said:
before the very fist mission, you had a choice between long range or short range. you choose poorly. ;)

I also chose "poorly" - although I enjoyed going through the first mission with the stun gun. I'll have another opportunity to pick up a tranq rifle.. right?

DrBo42

For those that are still confused about the hacking system, there's a help option in the minigame itself. Read that shit. It essentially comes down to this, the red stacked tiles is basically the system security. Take a look around the nodes and such, see what your best path is. Numbers next to folders represent how difficult they will be to capture. Both you and the security system (when alerted) blow through level 1, while having difficulty with level 4s etc. If you're going through a particularly lengthy hack, you should fortify.

Think of it as a battlefield, with higher security folders being fortified positions. If you can find a choke point (where the system has no choice but to go through to get to your entrance point) fortify it once captured to gain yourself some time. Another very important bit is the travel paths between nodes. If they're solid double lines, they're a two-way street meaning you can travel to the next node and the security system can travel to you. Arrows indicate a single path, use this to your advantage when fortifying like I wrote above.

Keep in mind that fortify I believe has a 100% detection rate so if you haven't been spotted yet, don't use it. Plan a route that's efficient and works to your augmented abilities.

Do you get more/less experience with non-lethal approaches? And if you skip enemies entirely (sneak past them) do you lose out on XP that you'd otherwise get by taking them down in some way?

Is there a stealth pistol in the this game? like in the first one or do i have to mod the regular pistol with addons? i need to know this!!!!! I played entire Deus Ex with the silenced pistol

Gvaz

Banned
So apparently there's a skybox limit. Seems pretty low to me.

here

also the load times take so long because on some setups the game is like "okay lets load this shit into vram reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaly slowly, like under 1mB/s"

Coop

Technosteve said:
Is there a stealth pistol in the this game? like in the first one or do i have to mod the regular pistol with addons? i need to know this!!!!! I played entire Deus Ex with the silenced pistol
You have to mod the pistol. I think there's a silencer you can buy in the first hub.

DrBo42 said:
For those that are still confused about the hacking system, there's a help option in the minigame itself. Read that shit. It essentially comes down to this, the red stacked tiles is basically the system security. Take a look around the nodes and such, see what your best path is. Numbers next to folders represent how difficult they will be to capture. Both you and the security system (when alerted) blow through level 1, while having difficulty with level 4s etc. If you're going through a particularly lengthy hack, you should fortify.

Think of it as a battlefield, with higher security folders being fortified positions. If you can find a choke point (where the system has no choice but to go through to get to your entrance point) fortify it once captured to gain yourself some time. Another very important bit is the travel paths between nodes. If they're solid double lines, they're a two-way street meaning you can travel to the next node and the security system can travel to you. Arrows indicate a single path, use this to your advantage when fortifying like I wrote above.

Keep in mind that fortify I believe has a 100% detection rate so if you haven't been spotted yet, don't use it. Plan a route that's efficient and works to your augmented abilities.

The fortify detection rate has the same percentage as capturing the node (which is shown in game anyways) and I believe if you use a nuke virus to capture a node the percentage of getting caught with fortify is 0%, so you can hack a high level node and make it even harder for the enemy to get through.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
aegies said:
Check your PMs. Have fun, etc.

I know I'm late on this (been catching up on the thread at work), but that brought a huge smile to my face. I just really love when people can help each other out in whatever way they are able. It chips away at the armor of cynicism I wear daily...

I won't be joining in on the Deus Ex fun until tomorrow or Friday (freaking shitty gamestop), but I'm living vicariously through this thread, and Crysis 2 will be arriving via gamefly today.

Game is looking awesome, and it's probably for the best that I don't get it until the weekend, since I can see myself staying up way too late on a work night playing it.

Visually, a lot of the screens I'm seeing remind me of MGS2. I'm digging it. I'm almost tempted to give Deus Ex another run through, but I'll just hack away at my back catalog in the meantime (I'm 20 hours into Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, but only at 45% completion. lol. I think it may be a while...).

To anyone who preloaded on Steam and it hasn't unlocked yet in your region, make sure on the unlock date to press "PLAY" and start the decryption/download process right away, preferably before you head out or sleep for several hours.

I thought I was all smart and pre-loaded over the weekend, only to have to re-download it all last night after decrypting. Checked this morning though and it plays fine.

charsace

Running and gunning can be done, you just need to plan for it. There are augs that improve your shooting ability and damage resistance. And you should carry a balanced arsenal. If you preordered then you have enough tools to at least slaughter everyone in the first mission.

I play on hard if it makes any difference. Right now I have the magnum, silenced pistol and a sniper rifle.

And the CASEY AI is cold and detached and the options it gives you reflects that.

Gvaz said:
also the load times take so long because on some setups the game is like "okay lets load this shit into vram reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaly slowly, like under 1mB/s"

Is that even patachable or are we fucked? I mean I love the game, but the 30+ second load times are horrendous, won't stop me from playing, but it does cause me to explore as much one location before going somewhere I need to load again (which sucks for FedEx or new Aug so I can do this now situations).

bob page

Simo said:
Though I read one Gaffer took his time at Sarif HQ to explore all the rooms and whatnot so I wanted to do the same, only to get chewed out by Sarif himself for taking too long with apparently led to
the death of 8 civilians
and Prichard calling me out for going in the ladie's room...
Haha, same here. I thought it was hilarious and ironic that he finds out that you're snooping in the ladies room (it means he must be via cameras, too).

cackhyena said:
Where. I have seen no such thing. Is there more than one place to buy items for weapons there?

There's an apartment block accessible via a fire escape, right opposite the basketball court. The weapons dealer is on the 3rd floor (the first one you can access through the window). Bear in mind that killing the people on the 4th floor might affect a future quest (I think it will make you fail the corrupt cop one, but I don't know as I didn't kill them)

blackflag

Sullichin said:
I also chose "poorly" - although I enjoyed going through the first mission with the stun gun. I'll have another opportunity to pick up a tranq rifle.. right?

I wonder if that's why I had so much difficulty during the first mission. I only used the stun gun and it kinda sucked. I had a really hard time and was caught and killed more than several times.

Really fun game though and I think I finally got the hang of it. I remember back in the day just blowing everything up in Deus Ex 1 but I want to be more stealthy this time.

cackhyena

blahblah...blah said:
There's an apartment block accessible via a fire escape, right opposite the basketball court. The weapons dealer is on the 3rd floor (the first one you can access through the window). Bear in mind that killing the people on the 4th floor might affect a future quest (I think it will make you fail the corrupt cop one, but I don't know as I didn't kill them)
Thanks, don't know how I missed that. And no worries about killing people. I have yet to take one life in the seven hours I've played. Makes you wonder why I'm bothering at all with the silencer.

charsace

bob page said:
Haha, same here. I thought it was hilarious and ironic that he finds out that you're snooping in the ladies room (it means he must be via cameras, too).
[Conspiracy]Or there could be a tracker in your body.[/Conspiracy]
DE-Icarus-Announced.jpg

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
blahblah...blah said:
What if I tranq'd them? :(

Top Bottom