• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

About two hours in, fucking amazing.

Question about the first mission,
where are the hostages? I didn't end up running across them and ended up confronting Sanders with the last one

The stealth is so satisfying, I shot some dudes in the prologue so I can't go for the pacifist achievement. I'll still try to keep the bloodshed to a minimum though.

Here's something I want to know about Detective Chase, for those who have finished the game:
he disappeared after I used his access code to get into the storage room safe, and I think I got him killed (he was paranoid about giving me the code) - does he reappear, or am I to assume that his battered body is lying in a ditch somewhere outside of Detroit? :(

cackhyena

toasty_T said:

where are the hostages? I didn't end up running across them and ended up confronting Sanders with the last one

The stealth is so satisfying, I shot some dudes in the prologue so I can't go for the pacifist achievement. I'll still try to keep the bloodshed to a minimum though.
Search second floors. In a room with several terrorists you have to take down, they are on the second level. Just...take it slowly.

Coop

toasty_T said:

Just going from memory.
They are in the first assembly room (I think that's what it's called. It's after the first decontamination chamber ). As soon as you enter they are directly across from you on the second level.

toasty_T said:

My second play-through is going to be a pacifist one, but for now the gunplay is just too satisfying to ignore. I swear, something about the world is just so engrossing and terrifying. For example (the end of the Detroit main quest):
I accidentally quicksaved myself into an unfortunate position in the underground FEMA lab, with all pretenses of stealth abandoned as I sprinted along a walkway and jumped off the edge, barely surviving the fall and landing in one of the prison cells. Hugging the wall as I tried to escape the maze, I only just managed to slide into an air duct before I was killed. My heart was racing throughout

Blizzard

Banned
Silly question since this was basically in the original cinematic trailer, but about the very start of the game:

In the trailer, the woman screams Adam as you're thrown out a window. In the game, the woman gets knocked down and you're about to be shot, and then you're apparently being revived. From what someone says it sounds like you still got thrown through the window. I haven't skipped any cutscenes as far as I know. Is there ever any explanation why they didn't make sure you were dead? Did they just shoot you once and then throw you through a window?

knitoe

bPod said:
could someone explain the hacking system...not getting it
The KEY is you can hack more than one terminal at a time so be quick as possible once that terminal is done an open the next option(s). Once you are detected (timer), quickly hack the end Globe terminal(s). Use Nuke to hack a terminal undetected or Worms to temporary stop the timer.

The more terminal linked to the next one the faster it can be hacked. Also, some terminal lowers (faster) resist to hacking and some gives you money / items for hacking them.

Aeana

Whew. I played for about an hour and was feeling really ill. It seems to have been the default FOV, since after setting it to 90 I feel much better. Wish I wasn't so sensitive to this stuff.

charsace

Blizzard said:
Silly question since this was basically in the original cinematic trailer, but about the very start of the game:

In the trailer, the woman screams Adam as you're thrown out a window. In the game, the woman gets knocked down and you're about to be shot, and then you're apparently being revived. From what someone says it sounds like you still got thrown through the window. I haven't skipped any cutscenes as far as I know. Is there ever any explanation why they didn't make sure you were dead? Did they just shoot you once and then throw you through a window?
It's a robocop type of moment. He gets thrown through some thick as fuck glass, an arm broken and then shot in the head (that's why he has a metal plate that's slightly visible).

Trouble

Banned
So if I leave a ton of crap in my apartment when I
go to Heng Sha
will I be able to get to it later? I worry because of the
message that says all sidequests will be canceled

A simple yes/no will suffice, please no spoilers. Just trying to figure out if I should lug my rocket launcher with me or not, leaning towards yes currently, but that damn thing takes so much inventory space.

Tokubetsu

Aeana said:
Whew. I played for about an hour and was feeling really ill. It seems to have been the default FOV, since after setting it to 90 I feel much better. Wish I wasn't so sensitive to this stuff.

Where are the FOV options?

Peterthumpa

For those who care, about the SSAO on the PC version... created a thread yesterday on the official forums, and this is the answer coming straight from the mouth of one of the devs:

The SSAO on PC is not broken, but different. We opted to implement a more physically correct algorithm for the PC version that produces dark nooks and crannies as well as proximity shadows. Megan's not casting an SSAO shadow on the elevator on PC, because she is too far away.

Jim Offerman
PC Lead Programmer

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119709

D6AMIA6N

I'm just wondering, but why do so many feel as though not killing anyone is some sort of badge of honor? Stealthing your way through the game, to me at least, seems to only allow you to experience but a fraction of what the game offers. I mean I like stealth too, but it gets pretty old constantly skulking around, constantly crouching, constantly hiding.

I decided that if people are going to try and kill me, and I have the means and abilities to kill them first rather, why not?! At least the game allows you to play it either way which is awesome.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
D6AMIA6N said:
I'm just wondering, but why do so many feel as though not killing anyone is some sort of badge of honor? Stealthing your way through the game, to me at least, seems to only allow you to experience but a fraction of what the game offers. I mean I like stealth too, but it gets pretty old constantly skulking around, constantly crouching, constantly hiding.

I decided that if people are going to try and kill me, and I have the means and abilities to kill them first rather, why not?! At least the game allows you to play it either way which is awesome.

Shooting/killing people makes me feel badass.
Not needing to kill people makes me feel like the ultimate badass.

zoner said:
It might not be the most 'useful' augmentation, but the icarus landing system makes you feel bad as hell.
I found it very useful for sneaking into that Detroit gang's area.

Awesome animation though, yeah.

Really looking forward to start playing this tomorrow. Does anyone know what changing the difficulty affects? Is it only the amount of damage you can take or does it increase the difficulty of stuff like hacking as well?

Ferrio

Banned
faulty_fork said:
Really looking forward to start playing this tomorrow. Does anyone know what changing the difficulty affects? Is it only the amount of damage you can take or does it increase the difficulty of stuff like hacking as well?

The higher difficulty causes the load screen to come up very often.

faulty_fork said:
I'm curious about this as well. Does increased difficulty add more enemies? Does it make them smarter? Does it make it easier for them to hear you? Or do they just do more damage?

Zaptruder

Banned
AI... may be too easy to break.

Throw a box (of which there are plenty around) - get them to investigate (pretty much only 1 guy investigates), punch them in the head as they round the corner.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
K2Valor said:
Shooting/killing people makes me feel badass.
Not needing to kill people makes me feel like the ultimate badass.

I sort of figure too, that Jensen is a private citizen now, not a cop. He's not going to want to put his employer at risk by going nuclear on everyone. Knock em out or simply avoid them are the better options, from the corporate perspective.

Re mission 1:
ticked (and delighted) that the "hurry up, idiot" messages you get actually mean something for the outcome of the mission. I ignored them to talk to every person in the lobby and eight people died (sob/grin). In every other game I've played, those warnings can be safely written off as a developer trying to artificially increase the sense of tension/hurry for the mission. But in this game they actually mean that NPCs will die. Love it.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Im sort of tempted to get one, since I can use it with The Witcher 2. Is there anyway to use a regular 360 wireless controller on a pc with out needing to get additional cables or receivers?

You'll always need a receiver if you want to use it wirelessly.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/design...controller-gaming-receiver-for-pc-black-56546

Aselith

D6AMIA6N said:

I've been playing like I sneak as much as possible. BUT if they see me...well....it's time to roll on these bitches.

Ferrio

Banned
So killing people in prologue does count right? Man that sucks... I should just shun my passive ways if that's the case.

Menelaus

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Im sort of tempted to get one, since I can use it with The Witcher 2. Is there anyway to use a regular 360 wireless controller on a pc with out needing to get additional cables or receivers?
You'll need a $15 chinese knockoff receiver from ebay.

Top Bottom