• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

cackhyena said:
Search second floors. In a room with several terrorists you have to take down, they are on the second level. Just...take it slowly.

This bothers me, so i'm compelled to respond that you don't HAVE to take down anyone, you can sneak in and complete that objective without being seen and/or subduing a single enemy.

cackhyena

MrCompletely said:
This bothers me, so i'm compelled to respond that you don't HAVE to take down anyone, you can sneak in and complete that objective without being seen and/or subduing a single enemy.
Yep, you're right. I think when I typed that, I was in the mind set of getting the code off of one of them like I did for the bomb. Absolutely right, though. Until that point, I didn't take down anyone. And I love that that is possible.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So, I know people don't like this, but now that the dust has settled what's the pc performance like and have people found the solutions to the most issues?

Ferrio said:
The higher difficulty causes the load screen to come up very often.
Yeah I've heard of the dreaded load screens :)

I'm tempted to try the higher difficulty, but I fear it will only turn into an exercise in frustration. I want to be kicked in the balls if I approach fights in a bad way though.

cackhyena

BigJiantRobut said:
I know this is a throwback to a few pages ago, but why is stealth held up on a pedestal in a game that gives you tons of options?
I've always found it more satisfying to stealth my through objectives. There is a lot to gain. Not only that, but my personal opinion is the gun play in this is one of it's weakest points.

Has anyone had any issues completing the Cloak and Dagger sidequest? I was able to get most of it done but there was one part that wasn't showing up as to be done. Like, I'd go into my apartment building and see the blue text showing how far it is but once I left the text was gone. I even went to where it was supposed to be in the description but nothing was there.

anddo0

boredofcanada said:
yes. i tested it with one of my weapons last night.

Damn. Too little too late for me. I wasted so many mods, and sold weapons I didn't want to sell because there was nowhere to store them. :(

cackhyena said:
I've always found it more satisfying to stealth my through objectives. There is a lot to gain. Not only that, but my personal opinion is the gun play in this is one of it's weakest points.

The stealth isn't exactly robust, either - it's PS1-era pattern based. Doesn't make it bad, the game is better than the sum of its parts. I just find it weird that virtually everyone is playing stealth and harping on people who don't.

For the record, I'm playing lethal stealth. Silenced pistol yeaaaah

BigJiantRobut said:
I know this is a throwback to a few pages ago, but why is stealth held up on a pedestal in a game that gives you tons of options?
Because it is generally seen as the option that takes more skill and thought, plus it's different from the approach most games force you to take. Also, the game encourages it.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Because it is generally seen as the option that takes more skill and thought, plus it's different from the approach most games force you to take. Also, the game encourages it.

Buh? It requires different skills, but it is not "more skillful" to play through stealthy. Also smh, the game encourages you to do lots of things, not just playing one way. That's why it's friggin' Deus Ex! :lol

cackhyena

BigJiantRobut said:
The stealth isn't exactly robust, either - it's PS1-era pattern based. Doesn't make it bad, the game is better than the sum of its parts. I just find it weird that virtually everyone is playing stealth and harping on people who don't.

True, it's nothing revolutionary, but when stealth is done good enough in any game I'm always gonna go for it. It's hard for me to fathom playing a game like this guns blazing. Add the different ways the conversations can go and hacking and all that and it just ups the level of enjoyment a lot more for me, personally.

Plasma

Banned
My copy arrived today in the post, I managed to get it preloaded using the CD Key (Despite having the disc right there to install it) and have downloaded it most of the day.

Can't get it to unlock using the method someone posted a few pages back looks like its going to be a long wait for Friday ):

The biggest thing that adds to the feeling of stealth are the multiple paths in the environment.

Sneaking through air ducts or finding another path to sneak past a guard or something is really fun, especially when you can use the environment to your advantage.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm surprised I'm having framerate issues seeing I have a pretty good gaming laptop. I haven't been keeping up with this thread, so is this just one of the issues people are experiencing? I tried turning down the settings which did help a bit, but I still notice a delay. Any recommendations on what to adjust?

charsace

BigJiantRobut said:

What? This game has some of the best stealth gaming ever. There so many ways to get through levels without being seen and its just one of the things that makes the game really fun.

Its too bad there isn't an option to record things like in a racing game because they would have been fun to watch. It would have been a cool feature. Seeing some people going in with flash bangs and mowing people down or someone that chose to level the augs that make Jenson super human and watch him jump from out of nowhere, stun 3 guys, do a multi-takedown and then shoot the last guy in the face with a silenced pistol while he's still disoriented.

legbone

BigJiantRobut said:

shhh! it's the right way to play it. don't tell anyone.

just kidding. i don't know but i understand where you are coming from. it seems even the developers wanted to reward this with their choice of achievements. unless i missed them, there aren't really any cheevos for going in guns blazing and leaving bloody carcasses everywhere. there should be a cheevo for killing everyone in the game you come in contact with. anyway, i try to play stealthy but i suck at it so it always devolves into me against five or so heavily armed thugs with nothing but a tranq sniper rifle. it's still the best game i've played all year. i actually enjoy finding vents to bypass sneaking. but then it feels like a rat simulator.

Dizzy-4U

You know, I'm at work right now and this is torture. I NEED to get back home to play more of this game, NEED. Just when I thought I was getting burned out of videogames and I needed a break, Eidos gives me this beauty. I haven't had this feeling in years.

BigJiantRobut said:
Buh? It requires different skills, but it is not "more skillful" to play through stealthy. Also smh, the game encourages you to do lots of things, not just playing one way. That's why it's friggin' Deus Ex! :lol
That's why I said it is "generally seen" that way. Most people have the perception that it takes more skill to sneak through a game without being seen or triggering an alarm than it does to blast your way through with force. I can't comment on the accuracy of that opinion because I haven't played through the entire game using both play-styles but I honestly think it's a popular view.

As far as the whole "option" thing, I'm not saying that you don't have options but rather that stealth is encouraged more than the other options. Here's an excerpt from Kagari's review:
There are also a few gripes regarding the gameplay systems. DXHR claims to let the player ‘choose’ their course of action throughout the game, but the truth of the matter is that it forces you to use stealth more often than not. While it's easy to spec Adam to be more combat-focused, Ammo is extremely limited even in the easier game modes - even though enemies themselves are plentiful, they drop little ammunition. You’re better off just sneaking by the lot of them to conserve everything you have for bigger battles and boss fights.
Also, Kagari in the reviews thread:

Kagari said:
Yeah, it definitely DEFINITELY almost holds your hand toward taking the stealth routes.
I don't really have an opinion in terms of which play-style I value more, I'm just answering your question based on what I've seen and heard.

legbone

Dizzy-4U said:
You know, I'm at work right now and this is torture. I NEED to get back home to play more of this game, NEED. Just when I thought I was getting burned out of videogames and I needed a break, Eidos gives me this beauty. I haven't had this feeling in years.

man, i know exactly how you feel. i'm working too. i don't think i've felt this way about a game since metal gear solid when it launched. this thing has just totally sucked me in with the story and atmosphere. kinda funny, the gameplay reminds me a lot of mgs.

Gah. I hate paying full price for games but all this masturbation and nostalgia is killing me. This close to school starting, too.

You evil bastards.

44% complete steam d/l.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Damn, I didn't explore any nook and cranny of the first mission for fear that
the hostages would die
if I didn't get there as fast as I could, based on what other people were saying earlier in the thread. Was this thought misplaced? Is the only time you are allowed to go through the level again, is right before you are about to leave? Can you not go back there again?

Damn I wonder what I missed.

charsace

The_Darkest_Red said:
That's why I said it is "generally seen" that way. Most people have the perception that it takes more skill to sneak through a game without being seen or triggering an alarm than it does to blast your way through with force. I can't comment on the accuracy of that opinion because I haven't played through the entire game using both play-styles but I honestly think it's a popular view.

As far as the whole "option" thing, I'm not saying that you don't have options but rather that stealth is encouraged more than the other options. Here's an excerpt from Kagari's review:
The game does encourage stealth, but I've had no ammo problems in the full game or the preview and I'm playing on hard. as long as you have something like a pistol on you you won't have ammo problems. As long as you're economical with your shots you won't have ammo problems. There are augs that even help with this since you can make the reticle bloom less and eliminate gun kick.

cackhyena

fastford58 said:
Gah. I hate paying full price for games but all this masturbation and nostalgia is killing me. This close to school starting, too.

You evil bastards.

44% complete steam d/l.
I'm pretty sure you won't regret this purchase.

charsace said:
The game does encourage stealth, but I've had no ammo problems in the full game or the preview and I'm playing on hard. as long as you have something like a pistol on you you won't have ammo problems. As long as you're economical with your shots you won't have ammo problems. There are augs that even help with this since you can make the reticle bloom less and eliminate gun kick.
I don't doubt that the forceful route is feasible, but it's possible for that to be the case while the stealth approach is more heavily encouraged or favored as well.

BigJiantRobut said:
because so few games do stealth this well in terms of level design, enemy scripting, customization, etc. there are a plethora of games out there that satisfy the need to go all shootysplosion.

it's also rather intense. i get a good rush out of dragging an unconscious foe into hiding just as his buddy shows up on the scene.

alphaNoid

Banned
Installing on my PC right now
3AQmK.gif
got it for $25.

newsguy

If anyone tranqs a quest giver please report back to see if that quest line is still available. I'm at work and its eating away at me to think I lost some quests for being nosy.

Anyone else with problems on NVidia card? Have nvidia 460m quad core laptop playing at 1080p all options on, framerate is good but:

1. Non-realtime cutscenes stutter like crazy and I mean crazy, eg an awesome one is ruined with 1/2 sec play then 1/2 sec pause then 1/2 sec play then 1/2 sec pause etc and on for the whole scene totally ruining it.

2. Tutorials do not work I see a black space where presumably video or images are supposed to be displayed, and it crashes the game and I have to reboot the computer. There are a bunch of tutorials and the manual is thin so this is annoying as I cannot see any tutorials.

3. 3D Vision doesnt work its ATI only presumably

4. Environments are fine but almost every single NPC character in the game has tiny white dots flickering over them constantly.

charsace

The_Darkest_Red said:
I don't doubt that the forceful route is feasible, but it's possible for that to be the case while the stealth approach is more heavily encouraged or favored as well.
It is more heavily favored. They designed the game to be a stealth game. But it's easier to play run and gun in this than it is in the metal gear games or early splinter cell since your character moves around better in this game and has the ability to be augmented into a killing machine.

Yaska

legbone said:
shhh! it's the right way to play it. don't tell anyone.

just kidding. i don't know but i understand where you are coming from. it seems even the developers wanted to reward this with their choice of achievements. unless i missed them, there aren't really any cheevos for going in guns blazing and leaving bloody carcasses everywhere. there should be a cheevo for killing everyone in the game you come in contact with. anyway, i try to play stealthy but i suck at it so it always devolves into me against five or so heavily armed thugs with nothing but a tranq sniper rifle. it's still the best game i've played all year. i actually enjoy finding vents to bypass sneaking. but then it feels like a rat simulator.
I stealth, but when I'm out of choices, it's shooting time. Can really play balanced between blazing guns and stealth. I really like the fact.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah stealth is the preferred and more satisfying way to go which sucks for me because I'm trying a non lethal run and I have some suped up pistol of doom. I found a silencer mod, laser sight, armor piercing and I'm pretty sure something else that I forgot about and I pretty much can't use it until the bosses.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
anddo0 said:
Damn. Too little too late for me. I wasted so many mods, and sold weapons I didn't want to sell because there was nowhere to store them. :(
I just throw them on the floor of Jensen's room if I want to hang on to them lol. It's so silly how you can't actually place items back in his room's hidey hole.

luxarific said:

Menelaus said:
You'll need a $15 chinese knockoff receiver from ebay.

That's something I have to keep in mind. Thanks.

I actually meant just using a wireless controller (but say with a USB cord), isn't there software that allows for that? Sorry, I wasn't clear.

That said for 15 bucks, the investment is so small and the benefit of not needing to have a cord, is a big plus. However, I guess I'll just say for the moment I just want to see what I can do with the stuff I have sitting around my house (USB and the regular wireless 360). Most just to see if I enjoy it more.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
That's something I have to keep in mind. Thanks.

I actually meant just using a wireless controller (but say with a USB cord), isn't there software that allows for that? Sorry, I wasn't clear.

That said for 15 bucks, the investment is so small and the benefit of not needing to have a cord, is a big plus. However, I guess I'll just say for the moment I just want to see what I can do with the stuff I have sitting around my house (USB and the regular wireless 360). Most just to see if I enjoy it more.

On the wireless 360 controller (at least the older ones), the USB cord only transfers power, even when it's plugged in it needs a wireless receiver.

marjo

This game shows how real player 'choice' should be handled.

For all the lip service certain publishers (cough... Bioware) like to give about providing choice, it usually boils down to a simple binary good/bad option that often doesn't even effect how the game is played.

In the original Deus Ex, and now in Human Revolution, I actually feel like my actions and choices matter.

I can't overstate how much more satisfying that makes the entire gameplay experience.

pelican

no!!!

Got my PC Augmented Edition today, but I can't install it due to bloody Steam.

Its bloody annoying that since it isn't released via Steam yet that I can't install and play my copy of the game which I have actually paid for.

Anyway around this?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
padlock said:
This game shows how real player 'choice' should be handled.

For all the lip service certain publishers (cough... Bioware) like to give about providing choice, it usually boils down to a simple binary good/bad option that often doesn't even effect how the game is played.

In the original Deus Ex, and now in Human Revolution, I actually feel like my actions and choices matter.

I can't overstate how much more satisfying that makes the entire gameplay experience.

That's because Bioware has the rep to do whatever they want, even if it's crappy, and get praise for it. I personally think this is better than any game Bioware has made, no matter how immersive their games might be.

masterkajo

dogmanstaruk said:
no!!!

Got my PC Augmented Edition today, but I can't install it due to bloody Steam.

Its bloody annoying that since it isn't released via Steam yet that I can't install and play my copy of the game which I have actually paid for.

Anyway around this?
I am exactly in the same boat... Have the disc right on front of me and steam taunts me by saying "No no no... wait about 24 more hours!"

ARGH!!!

Top Bottom