• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

masterkajo said:
I am exactly in the same boat... Have the disc right on front of me and steam taunts me by saying "No no no... wait about 24 more hours!"

ARGH!!!
Wow... I never even thought about the possibility of this happening. That really sucks and honestly it's kind of unacceptable.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
dogmanstaruk said:
no!!!

Got my PC Augmented Edition today, but I can't install it due to bloody Steam.

Its bloody annoying that since it isn't released via Steam yet that I can't install and play my copy of the game which I have actually paid for.

Anyway around this?
If you can't install the game then you need to wait, if you have it pre-loaded then download https://anonymitynetwork.com, connect to a US network, open Deus Ex in Steam and then go into Offline Mode until Friday.

Dakota47

The_Darkest_Red said:
Wow... I never even thought about the possibility of this happening. That really sucks and honestly it's kind of unacceptable.

It happened to me a couple of times, Just Cause 2 springs to mind. I can still remember the Steam pop-up: You can't install Just Cause 2 because the game isn't available yet. "BUT IT IS!!!1!!one!!" Raging on an official forum about it always helps to relax.

masterkajo

The_Darkest_Red said:
Yeah... I still don't understand why in this day and age a global release (especially for a PC game with a high DD rate) isn't standard. Because some retailers in my country want me to pay double the price (that I paid by importing from the UK) and buy on a Friday I have to sit here now and wait 1 more day even though I have the game in my hand... I am actualy holding the disc right now.

Whatever... back to passing time, I guess.

Dakota47 said:
It happened to me a couple of times, Just Cause 2 springs to mind. I can still remember the Steam pop-up: You can't install Just Cause 2 because the game isn't available yet. "BUT IT IS!!!1!!one!!" Raging on an official forum about it always helps to relax.
Great idea. I might go to the official forums and rage a bit there. It's not like I have anything better to to right now - thanks to the release restriction.

Deadbeat

Banned
So I beat the game. I liked it. What I didnt like is

OBVIOUSLY END GAME SPOILERS DONT MOUSE OVER
they left the endings as abrupt as they were in the original Deus Ex. Also the zenith pistol just murdered the final boss. Fucking stupid design. I chose self destruct because I hate people.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
A little off topic, but I was wondering how the industry works on patches and updates.

The problems that we have seen at release (though no where as bad as other parts of the industry) should have been recognized especially before release. When a game goes gold, do they not have people testing it more to see if there is any more bugs? Who are the people that work on these patches, the people who worked on the game or just code monkeys that are used to clean the code up? If it is the people who worked on the game, are they simply allowing them to take a break after finishing the game, having it go gold, and then working on patches/updates when the game releases? Does a day 1 patch convey that they did something critically wrong or something, so they don't want to do that?

I'm hoping a patch comes soon. Fixing the loading, some of the graphical nuances, and being able to play in Direct X 11 without worrying that I'll get a black screen would be welcome.

LastWindow said:
Has anyone had any issues completing the Cloak and Dagger sidequest? I was able to get most of it done but there was one part that wasn't showing up as to be done. Like, I'd go into my apartment building and see the blue text showing how far it is but once I left the text was gone. I even went to where it was supposed to be in the description but nothing was there.

Bump for new page. This has me really confused.

FStop7

Banned
I pre-ordered from Amazon. I thought there was supposed to be a code sent out to be able to download the Whisperhead rifle and a shotgun. No code yet. Anyone get theirs?

Aeana

Finished the first mission, and completed all of the objectives. After changing the FOV to 90, it's been really smooth sailing for me. Game runs at 60 FPS at 1080p on my PC with FXAA medium and SSAO/tesselation off. Pleased with that. Tesselation seems to cause momentary drops when I turn before it returns to 60, so I decided to turn it off since the differences seemed fairly small to my eyes.

As for the game, I'm having a great time. I don't like to be forced to stealth in games since I'm awful at it, but it's rewarding when I can pull it off. I like that the game always seems to give you several paths through a room, and if I do get sighted, dispatching enemies isn't too big of a problem. Perfect balance for me.

The takedowns requiring energy, and energy being so seemingly limited will take some getting used to, but with augmentations it should get better.

Paches

This game is stunning so far. I love that it rewards you for having played Deus Ex the original story wise with a couple call backs and subtle mentions of names and discussion of the future (nano-augmentations!) on the eBooks. If anyone is curious about hardware I am running at 60fps in 1080p on a 460GT, i7 2.93GHz, 10 gigs of RAM (Use it for other applications) on mostly high everything except SSAO.

So I just heard about the BS GameStop is doing with the OnLive digital copies of the game included with the PC version, however I ordered the Augmented Edition from Amazon and I didn't getna code either. Is it only included in the regular versions of the game or something?

Esch

Banned
Yeah, i also pre-ordered from Amazon. I have the steam registration code, the squeenix one, and i've already validated my game with the CD key. Is there something i'm missing here?

Persona7 said:
Are their any differences between console versions?
There are a few differences but it sounds like they are mostly negligible. 360 load times are slightly faster (5 seconds or so) than PS3 IF the game is installed on the 360. The 360 image is slightly smoother and the PS3 image slightly sharper, which causes a bit more aliasing on the PS3 version. Other than that they are basically identical. I have the PS3 version and I think the IQ is great for a console game, I haven't really noticed any aliasing issues worth mentioning myself.

fresquito

Since it worked for a fellow gaffer, I will try it: Does anybody have a spare copy of the original Deus Ex? I've never played it and although I've seen it go for really cheap, I didn't buy it because I didn't know about the awesome mods and couldn't get myself to play the game as it was released. So, anybody willing to gift it to me, feel free to PM me.

Thanks in advance.

Keric

I haven't enjoyed a game like this in years. I'm at work, and I can't wait to get home and play. For awhile, I thought I was just growing up and not as interested in games anymore.

Turns out I was wrong. They just don't make 'em like they used to, until now.

The soundtrack is fantastic.

You can kill just about every enemy in a level, but it still pays to be stealthy in your approach to doing so, just as I imagine it would in real life. If you run into the center of a room with a machine gun blazing against a handful of armed guards with no regard for spacing, cover, or flanking, you deserve to get shot to pieces.

If, on the other hand, you take one guy down by hand (or by tranq), wait for his buddies to converge on the body, and then pop out and either shoot them in the head, grenade them, or spray them with bullets while they're all condensed in one spot, that's obviously a much more efficient tactic that will save you ammo and damage.

The game's contextual stealth makes sense, in a way that only Hitman or Chronicles of Riddick have really pulled off. Minor spoiler for early parts of DE:HR
when you walk into the police station, you can talk with several officers, and even complete a side mission. You can also simply walk into the restricted area to do some of the other objectives, but the cop standing guard is going to do his job and try and stop you, as is every other cop in the station once they hear a gunshot. It makes much more logical sense to sneak in through the side window, or to sneak in through the sewers, so you don't have to fight through 50 guys just to access a few computer terminals.

When I completed the first real mission, I'd killed or KO'd roughly half of the guys in the stage, but I only got into one big prolonged firefight that required frequent reloading and health powerups.

SlaughterX said:
So I just heard about the BS GameStop is doing with the OnLive digital copies of the game included with the PC version, however I ordered the Augmented Edition from Amazon and I didn't getna code either. Is it only included in the regular versions of the game or something?
It's ony included in the US versions. If you don't have the code, I would contact Amazon and quote the Square Enix Press Release which was posted in the other thread.

Carm

They need to fix these pc load times and fucking fast. I'm close to just giving up and uninstalling for the time being. Playing on the highest difficulty,stealthy and reloading when caught=not a fun experience at all. The Witcher load times were less irritating.

Cheech

EschatonDX said:
Yeah, i also pre-ordered from Amazon. I have the steam registration code, the squeenix one, and i've already validated my game with the CD key. Is there something i'm missing here?

Right click on the game in your Steam library, pick "DLC", and you'll see the DLC pack listed there. It is part of the Steam key you bought from Amazon.

warbegins said:
because so few games do stealth this well in terms of level design, enemy scripting, customization, etc. there are a plethora of games out there that satisfy the need to go all shootysplosion.

it's also rather intense. i get a good rush out of dragging an unconscious foe into hiding just as his buddy shows up on the scene.

Yeah, I'm waiting for a good little mod that makes the stealth even more difficult. Even on the highest difficulty it seems that guards can get a glance at you and not go into full alert immediately. Maybe a mod could also extend and prolong their search routines. One of the most exhilarating things in this game is slipping around corners as guards mill about looking for you.

What a great game. Way better than any of the Mass Effects and is on par with Alpha Protocol as my favorite console Rpg this gen.

I'm mostly a stealth guy, but I have the stealth kill transition. Really big flow breaker.

thehillissilent said:
It's ony included in the US versions. If you don't have the code, I would contact Amazon and quote the Square Enix Press Release which was posted in the other thread.

Yeah I live in the US and have a US copy of the game, I will shoot them an e-mail when I get home, but I don't see them replacing the game since they are currently sold out...

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Goddammit I need this game in my veins now. Didn't care about it until yesterday, then just started getting caught up in the hype. Sounds like it's a real great old-school game. But I have no money. Guess I'll play the original, since I never did that before.

Philthy

I decided to start playing the game guns blazing and it's rough only a few hours in. I absolutely hate stealth games because it's generally "oh no, he saw me, reload. oh no, reload. I sneezed accidentally bumped the controller, reload." .. The difference I'm finding with this game is that it really DOES push stealth as a primary means of getting around the game, but if people like myself simply suck balls, we can just go rambo and curb stomp our way through the bits where we get spotted.

I've been playing stealthy just because that is the way it pushes me, and in true fashion I totally suck at it, so I do end up leaving a trail of corpses in my wake. Spare a few situations where I somehow didn't mess up.

I'm not complaining. It feels like a stealth game for Halo players. Which works for me.

domstah

Tap (B) to KO and Hold (B) to Kill was a really bad controller mapping choice.

I've accidently murdered fools in my eagerness to knock their asses out. :(

So, how do people feel about the action? I've seen some reviews give it a knock as the weak part of the game, but personally, I find the cover based shooting mechanics deeply satisfying. Everything from the animations, sound, impact of the weapons, and enemy reactions come together pretty well. I love how blind-firing at enemies makes them go into cover.

Compound the above with weapon upgrades, multiple grenade types, combat oriented augs, and a low tolerance for damage, and it's a damn good shooter.

My style is that I'll go stealthy/non-lethal as much as I can, but if I fuck it up and alert the guards, I'll go with it and switch to lethal (brilliant design choice making non-lethal weapons only hold a single round in the chamber).

can you tell that I'm bored at work?

Deadbeat

Banned
I have nothing to spend my money on. You never will either.
I mean theres 2 piraxis kits to buy on the last level but thats it
Also to comment on the weapons
Yay I get to use the plasma rifle ONLY ON THE LAST LEVEL OF THE GAME FUCK OFF

Dizzy-4U

Keric said:
I haven't enjoyed a game like this in years. I'm at work, and I can't wait to get home and play. For awhile, I thought I was just growing up and not as interested in games anymore.

Turns out I was wrong. They just don't make 'em like they used to, until now.

The soundtrack is fantastic.
Are you me or somethin'?

Paches

Deadbeat said:
I have nothing to spend my money on. You never will either.
I mean theres 2 piraxis kits to buy on the last level but thats it

Have you gone to
LIMB for Praxis Point purchasing?
but I agree with your overall sentiment.

Deadbeat

Banned
Paches-EJ- said:
Have you gone to
LIMB for Praxis Point purchasing?
but I agree with your overall sentiment.
I have bought everything. All piraxis kits, upgrade kits, equipment such as emp nades, pain killers, ammo, etc. Had over 20k at the end with nothing to buy.

And you know the audacity of the game?
you can find credit chips on the last level worth thousands. Seriously?

alphaNoid

Banned
Been playing for about an hour and a half and HOLY FUCKING SHIT! This is the cyberpunk game I've been craving since well Deus Ex 10 years ago, and after watching Blade Runner recently. I wasn't planning on buying this at launch (to save bucks) but I am SOOOO glad I did.

I rarely finish games these days and I expect to beat this on several playthroughs. My cock, its rock hard.

Paches

Dunlop said:
I don't think I have ever died so much in a game...and kept playing

How you do this without being noticed is beyond me

Patience, watching guard routes, and search for alternate routes. It is possible, just keep trying!

MrCompletely said:
So, how do people feel about the action? I've seen some reviews give it a knock as the weak part of the game, but personally, I find the cover based shooting mechanics deeply satisfying. Everything from the animations, sound, impact of the weapons, and enemy reactions come together pretty well. I love how blind-firing at enemies makes them go into cover.

Compound the above with weapon upgrades, multiple grenade types, combat oriented augs, and a low tolerance for damage, and it's a damn good shooter.
I agree, I don't think HR's action is bad at all. The only part that really bothers me is using R3 to toggle in and out of ADS but that's just something I'll adjust to eventually.

MrCompletely said:
My style is that I'll go stealthy/non-lethal as much as I can, but if I fuck it up and alert the guards, I'll go with it and switch to lethal (brilliant design choice making non-lethal weapons only hold a single round in the chamber).
That's my style as well. I just want to experience the game and let it flow for my first playthrough without worrying about accomplishing some specific goal and re-loading every time something goes wrong. I'll go back later to try a pacifist run-through.

Ryun1

FStop7 said:
I pre-ordered from Amazon. I thought there was supposed to be a code sent out to be able to download the Whisperhead rifle and a shotgun. No code yet. Anyone get theirs?

If you got the 360 version, it's on a piece of paper, inside the game box, behind the manual.

Aeana

A Human Becoming said:
I'm so anal. If I'm not pleased at all with something I did I go back to my last save. For this reason I am saving very often.
I was doing that to start with, but the loading times have convinced me to just roll with it as long as I'm alive. :/

Paches

Deadbeat said:
I have bought everything. All piraxis kits, upgrade kits, equipment such as emp nades, pain killers, ammo, etc. Had over 20k at the end with nothing to buy.

You already beat it? Damn, you would know better than me I guess.

Deadbeat said:

The game is a day old at this point and isn't even out in some territories, I don't think you're gonna get too much of a reaction on end-game talk.

and fix your spoilers

ArjanN

Derrick01 said:
Yeah stealth is the preferred and more satisfying way to go which sucks for me because I'm trying a non lethal run and I have some suped up pistol of doom. I found a silencer mod, laser sight, armor piercing and I'm pretty sure something else that I forgot about and I pretty much can't use it until the bosses.

Stealth is pretty much always the most rewarding option in any game that allows it.

Deadbeat

Banned
Paches-EJ- said:
You already beat it? Damn, you would know better than me I guess.
It took me 21 hours to beat the game. I did most of the quests. I looked through the achievements and saw I missed only two I think.
MrCompletely said:
and fix your spoilers
yeah I noticed that.

bathala

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:
Where the heck do I get the gamestop preorder content? i am in detroit and still haven't seen crap.

Anyone?
I got the autounlock from the gas station guy and apartment, the sticky bombs r given u right from the tutorial. r u talking about the mission?

derFeef

I am watching the Giantbomb quicklook right now, and the game seems to be
walking... loading time... walking... loading time... shooting... loading time... talking...
LOTS of loading. Do they just play fast or whats up, I am not having fun watching this :(

Ferrio

Banned
derFeef said:
I am watching the Giantbomb quicklook right now, and the game seems to be
walking... loading time... walking... loading time... shooting... loading time... talking...
LOTS of loading. Do they just play fast or whats up, I am not having fun watching this :(

There's lots of Loading if you die/load often. Isn't much loading while doing missions.

derFeef said:
Do they just play fast or whats up, I am not having fun watching this :(

They rush through locations.

Btw, how many of you guys are playing with highlights and objective markers? I'm thinking of playing my first time with all turned off.

Top Bottom