• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Aselith

Calavera520 said:
Yeah, I'm waiting for a good little mod that makes the stealth even more difficult. Even on the highest difficulty it seems that guards can get a glance at you and not go into full alert immediately. Maybe a mod could also extend and prolong their search routines. One of the most exhilarating things in this game is slipping around corners as guards mill about looking for you.
Do it first person only.

derFeef said:
I am watching the Giantbomb quicklook right now, and the game seems to be
walking... loading time... walking... loading time... shooting... loading time... talking...
LOTS of loading. Do they just play fast or whats up, I am not having fun watching this :(
The load times only happen when entering/exiting buildings and missions. They aren't that frequent. Then again, I haven't died yet.

charsace

derFeef said:
I am watching the Giantbomb quicklook right now, and the game seems to be
walking... loading time... walking... loading time... shooting... loading time... talking...
LOTS of loading. Do they just play fast or whats up, I am not having fun watching this :(
There really isn't a lot of loading if you don't die.

Paches

Castor Krieg said:
They rush through locations.

Btw, how many of you guys are playing with highlights and objective markers? I'm thinking of playing my first time with all turned off.

As soon as I saw the first one I immediately went to go turn it off. Felt like it took me out of the game and a bit too hand-holdy.

JoeBoy101

Cheech said:
Right click on the game in your Steam library, pick "DLC", and you'll see the DLC pack listed there. It is part of the Steam key you bought from Amazon.

Thank you.

EDIT: I take it back. Still no DLC showing.

Frankfurt

Banned
Reviews are making it sound like the combat is as mediocre as Mass Effect... Which was unbearable to me. I'm rather have no combat at all (or even turn-based combat) than having to put up with bad combat. I believed I could play the whole game avoiding combat, but that isn't possible, so... It went from "buy at $30" to "buy when it's $10".

Kinda lame how the marketing is entirely built around one thing, and that is a lie.

derFeef

charsace said:
There really isn't a lot of loading if you don't die.
But they don't die, they just walk through the environment and it's 3 loading times until he reaches the point. The areas seemed small.

Grisby

Castor Krieg said:
They rush through locations.

Btw, how many of you guys are playing with highlights and objective markers? I'm thinking of playing my first time with all turned off.

Playing with it on. Don't want to miss anything.

cackhyena

Frankfurt said:
Reviews are making it sound like the combat is as mediocre as Mass Effect... Which was unbearable to me. I'm rather have no combat at all (or even turn-based combat) than having to put up with bad combat. I believed I could play the whole game avoiding combat, but that isn't possible, so... It went from "buy at $30" to "buy when it's $10".

Kinda lame how the marketing is entirely built around one thing, and that is a lie.
Wow, you suck.

Frankfurt said:

AND THAT IS A LIE

Zeth

I'm curious about the punch through wall aug. For those who have it, how common are the contextual punchable walls?

In Detroit there should only be like 6 loading zones in total where going between those zones the game has to load. Haven't watched the quick look but it might be different in the console version.

Frankfurt said:

I've played the game doing non-lethal combat and when I'm forced to do combat I just cheese it. There aren't a lot of points in the game where you're forced to do combat.

wutwutwut

Frankfurt said:
The combat isn't bad at all, and it isn't possible to avoid it on 4 occasions. That's like 1% of the game. Don't be stupid, get it.

If they are talking about ME 1, that is a complete and total lie.

If they are talking about ME 2, it's still better than that.

This is NOT a FPS. This is a RPG with aiming/hit detection that isn't tied to a skill system.

Frankfurt said:

Those reviews are an opinion, and one that many (including myself) heartily disagree with. Why don't you try reading some opinions from people in this thread before throwing this kind of post out?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Playing it on 360 and loving it, but I have a few questions/comments:

How can you find more side quests? I'm in Detroit and the two side quests I've done, they've come to me.

Second, during the
Megan's mother morgue investigation side-quest
, I reached the inside of the
police station and was told to hack two computers, but I couldn't because my hacking wasn't at level 2 and I had no way of finding the password out. There wasn't even an objective marker at the bottom floor where the morgue was.
I fear that situations like this are going to occur more often where I have to depend on just going in every room until I stumble on the objective rather than having an objective marker on them.

I don't know, I just felt like I was doing that quest all wrong even though I completed it.

And can you buy/find a silencer for the Pistol? I enjoy carrying silenced pistols when I play stealth games so I'm hoping to do the same here.

Paches

Frankfurt said:

Your post is a lie!

The combat is fine, the cover system is fine, the stealth is awesome. It seems like you are blowing the boss fights out of proportion, those are the only situations in the game where killing is required.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Frankfurt said:

I finished the first mission last night, and I didn't kill a single person. Takedowns were very satisfying. Hell, I chose to go in Lethal, and did the exact opposite.

Amir0x

Banned
oh wow went to pick up my pre-ordered PC copy of Deus Ex Augmented Edition and for some reason Gamestop didn't have it. I hate Gamestop so much.

I'm just ordering on Steam like I should have done in the first place.

Sullen

Frankfurt said:

Must be weird to be unable to form your own opinion without having someone else (gaming 'press' of all things) give it to you.

bathala

Banned
I only get load times if I go out and in the main hub.
I'm surprised the sewers and derelict r part of the hub which means no loading

Bleh amazon.co.uk hasn't shipped yet. Guess I won't get it on Friday :( Stupid out of date credit card.

As to make myself overcome this problem, I've decided to play through on hard and not touch a single person (no kills, no knock-downs, other than unskippable bosses)

Derrick01

Banned
Frankfurt said:

Is that an Alan Wake avatar?

Combat is solid enough to be an average FPS. It's really not a problem and I can shoot people just fine if needed, but if it's a huge problem for you then just play stealthy.

george_us

Frankfurt said:

It's much better than Mass Effect 1 but a step down from ME2 imo.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
george_us said:
It's much better than Mass Effect 1 but a step down from ME2 imo.
I've had zero problems with it. Honestly, the combat feels wonderful for the most part. It took a bit to get use to the Tap vs Hold, but everything else has been breezy.

Mass Effect on the other hand still felt clunky to me 5 hours in. DE3 on the other hand has been excellent since the 2nd level.

FStop7

Banned
Sarif.png

and

374379-jgreen_large.jpg

just sayin'

ok i need help with something. in the detroit area
i think i totally botched trying to get into the morgue. the cop at the front desk wouldn't let me in. do i have to put some praxis points into the social enhancement aug to get in?

Swifty

Frankfurt said:

That's a whole load of bull. There's an entire achievement dedicated towards you not killing anyone. There are people in this very thread complaining that this game is too much leaned towards stealth. :lol

boredofcanada said:
i think i totally botched trying to get into the morgue. the cop at the front desk wouldn't let me in. do i have to put some praxis points into the social enhancement aug to get in?

You made the incorrect choices in the dialogue sequence. You will have to find another way into the police station/morgue. There is another way. Good luck!

boredofcanada said:
No. There are other ways to get into the station.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
boredofcanada said:
There is more than one entrance to the police station. ;)

I finished the game a couple of hours ago, and have started my hard difficulty playthrough. I can safely say that it is my GOTY 2011 at this point.

I don't think any other game will be better this year, imo.

I loved the stealth, haven't had this much fun sneaking around since Hitman: Blood Money

Now back to my second playthrough.

george_us

shintoki said:
I've had zero problems with it. Honestly, the combat feels wonderful for the most part. It took a bit to get use to the Tap vs Hold, but everything else has been breezy.

Mass Effect on the other hand still felt clunky to me 5 hours in. DE3 on the other hand has been excellent since the 2nd level.
My biggest complaint about combat in HR is that it's not even viable most of the time because there's practically no ammo. Granted I'm only a little over two hours into the game but, for a game about freedom, combat seems pretty restrictive so far. I also dislike how melee attacks are basically cutscenes but it's not that big of an issue.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Finding sidequests help -

I just finished up detroit, but before I leave I wanna do some sidequests. I've done a few but I'm wondering the best way to go about finding more? There's some areas I've explored that haven't been used - sewers, the convention center, etc. Are there any sidequests related to those?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Six hours in, and I have a pretty large stock pile of ammo. In fact, I even sold a good bit. It all depends on how often you use firearms. Excluding the tranq gun, I've probably fired two dozen bullets so far. :)

The ammo drops are pretty pathetic, though.

Deadbeat

Banned
Ive never had any ammo problems through the entire game. This might be due to the fact I play System Shock 2 a lot and that game preps you for being a pack rat.

This is the first game I have EVER played when I can see that actual interior designers and fashion designers worked on levels and NPCs clothing.

Or is that a LIE?

The combat is much better than Mass Effect 2. The guns actually have some punch (you can actually kill most un-armored enemies with just a few pistol rounds to the chest), the cover system works more like Gears of War minus the vaulting mechanism, and breaking line of sight actually works mid-confrontation.

malfcn

Thinking about this game. Now I wish I would have pre-ordered..Would have done it at Gamestop, the hated place. :p

I do have Best Buy credit though..

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Speaking of that mission in Detroit, it turns out I haven't completed it. All I need to do is
hack 'rpenn's' computer and I'll be done, but my hacking isn't at level 2 and I don't know his password.
:(

Top Bottom