• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Solo said:
Okay, so I'm finally starting to have some fun. Spent 2 hours inside the police station and its easily the best 2 hours I've spent with the game yet. Lots of fun to be had in there with sneaking, theft, electronics, etc. And the more of Detroit I get to explore, the more I like it. The outdoor/street area does have a very nice DX kind of feel (DX meets HL2, more like it).
I thought Detroit was cool (once you get going in apartments it feels more like Hell's Kitchen in DX1 than Lower Seattle in DX2), but I'm in Hengsha right now and it's fantastic.

Jumping aug + Icarus mod is great in the Lower City.

TheExodu5

Banned
There's a lot of audio lag, at least for the gunfire. I take a single shot, and the audio plays maybe 200ms later. I did fix the mouse input lag, so maybe this brought the video further away from the audio.

So many little issues. :(

Aeana

I'm having a really hard time being stealthy in the Cloak and Daggers sidequest. :\
After getting into the area, there's a wrecked car and a concrete tube thing. Beyond that, there's two guards talking to each other, and no matter what I do to try to get myself into position, they see me. I literally cannot seem to even get them into my own field of vision without one of them coming after me.
Any tips?

Exuro

TheExodu5 said:
There's a lot of audio lag, at least for the gunfire. I take a single shot, and the audio plays maybe 200ms later. I did fix the mouse input lag, so maybe this brought the video further away from the audio.

So many little issues. :(
I noticed the lag as soon as I shot my first bullet. I thought it was bad lip syncing(well it IS bad) but there's a sound delay that makes it even worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVFYQL5zC6Q

Aeana said:
I'm having a really hard time being stealthy in the Cloak and Daggers sidequest. :\
After getting into the area, there's a wrecked car and a concrete tube thing. Beyond that, there's two guards talking to each other, and no matter what I do to try to get myself into position, they see me. I literally cannot seem to even get them into my own field of vision without one of them coming after me.
Any tips?
If they just see you,
they'll get angry and tell you to piss off, and I used that opportunity to climb the fire escape and tranq them from above (I managed to reach them from behind). They have to actually turn hostile for the secondary objective to fail.

Aeana said:
Any tips?

Go up the fire escape and knock them out with the tranq gun. An alternative solution is get seen and have them follow you by the wrecked car while you hide, after they turn around just knock one of them out.

EmCeeGramr said:
If they just see you,
they'll get angry and tell you to piss off, and I used that opportunity to climb the fire escape and tranq them from above (I managed to reach them from behind). They have to actually turn hostile for the secondary objective to fail.

Malik's chopper is waiting for me at the top of derelict row, can I go with her and come back and give Jenny the evidence? Or is this my last chance to finish that quest?

Aeana

EmCeeGramr said:
If they just see you,
Oh, weird. The thing says that you can't be detected, but obviously being seen is being detected! Thanks, I'll see what I can do with that.

Discotheque said:
Malik's chopper is waiting for me at the top of derelict row, can I go with her and come back and give Jenny the evidence? Or is this my last chance to finish that quest?
You're stuck in a mission after you go with Malik, but after you complete it and get back, they'll let you finish up your sidequests.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
How necessary is it to play the original Deus Ex? I understand it's a prequel, but are there tons of references to the original?

Really want to buy this and have a forever alone weekend.

garath

TheExodu5 said:
Not everyone is going to feel it. I'm uber sensitive to it, so I feel it quite a bit.

Blizzard said:
Or it's different on different system/video card/OS/driver/CPU/background program setups, I would theorize, but naturally I can't really prove that. :p

I'm leaning toward Blizzard's theory. I'm a LONG time fps player. I played competitively for many years and I know when my mouse is off.

My card is a GTX 460 with the latest nvidia drivers. My whole system is pretty clean as I just built a new machine a few weeks ago (and reinstalled windows). I do have an MX518 with setpoint software which detects games and turns off mouse accel. I've never known it to be any sort of magic bullet but maybe it's working in this case.

Other than the setpoint software, drivers is the only thing I could think of.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ermac said:
How necessary is it to play the original Deus Ex? I understand it's a prequel, but are there tons of references to the original?

It isn't at all necessary. This may be a "prequel" but it feels like it takes play in an entirely different universe. It's supposed to be like 20-30 years prior to DX but the world looks like 200 years in the future.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Aeana said:
Oh, weird. The thing says that you can't be detected, but obviously being seen is being detected! Thanks, I'll see what I can do with that.

You can't be seen at all in the area past that IIRC.

Tzeentch

Re: Boxes
Uhm. Are boxes supposed to be almost an exploit in this game? The AI can't resist investigating a flying box, even if they see the box being thrown by me, hiding behind a corner with a pile of their friends that investigated those damn mysterious flying boxes earlier.

My friend saw me use the boxes and said "I wish I hadn't seen that ..."

Blizzard

Banned
Cheech said:
Playing the PC version. Is there a texture pack or something I'm missing? These graphics are seriously shitty. I have DX11 turned on, MLAA, but don't see a texture quality setting.
Make sure you never play the original Deus Ex. :p I thought the textures looked fine. Walls full of papers weren't super high res, but otherwise everything through the first mission has been passable.

TheExodu5 said:
I'm beginning to think it's just a poor audio job. The reload animation seems completely in sync (though maybe it's hard to tell with that kind of sound).
I paid attention to lipsyncing, and it seemed fine to me. :p Maybe I need to be more sensitive about everything. Normally stuttering and syncing stuff drives me nuts I thought.

How do you break boxes? Just throw them?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Tzeentch said:
Uhm. Are boxes supposed to be almost an exploit in this game? The AI can't resist investigating a flying box, even if they see the box being thrown by me, hiding behind a corner with a pile of their friends that investigated those damn mysterious flying boxes earlier.

Everyone in the world is wondering where all the fucking boxes are coming from.

Zeliard

Sinatar said:
It isn't at all necessary. This may be a "prequel" but it feels like it takes play in an entirely different universe. It's supposed to be like 20-30 years prior to DX but the world looks like 200 years in the future.

Well that's the issue when you're dealing with making a game in the series with much better visuals.

Whether or not that's viewed as some amusing visual anachronism is going to vary with different people, but for me it isn't really an issue because the whole concept of mechanical vs. nano augs sets the whole past vs. future thing pretty cleanly. HR looks more futuristic visually but the other things they do are effective enough to set it in the past, relative to Deus Ex 1.

MechaX

Phew. Haven't spent a 8 hour-straight streak on a game in years.

Also, this is me being new to the Deus Ex series as a whole, but I like how the game does reward you for thinking just a little bit outside the box. Spoilers for the first real boss battle ahead.
So here I am, facing against this Juggernaut mother fucker named Barrett. Melee is out because Jensen is pretty scrawny in comparison. I could just decide to play like it was a chest-high wall shooter and move from cover to cover, popping him with bullets through blindfire. I mean, the guy was big enough where blindfire was still a 100% chance of hitting him. But hey, gas canisters! It took a bit of work getting to them but hey, let's try throwing this at him instead. Oh man, he's stunned by the gas! Oh hey, a red explosive barrel! I wonder how this wi- oh man, Barrett died.
I saved so much ammo by just doing it that way.

Tzeentch said:

I never get the chance to throw boxes all that much at enemies. They are usually too far or I'll mess up the aiming. But it is funny to play with the AI in this manner throwing refrigerators and vending machines.

x3sphere

The graphics are fine. Far from the best, but not the worst either. At least it runs 60 FPS on modern setups, you couldn't say that about the original and Invisible War at release.

Gvaz

Banned
The textures are a great example of "don't get too close or they look like shit" except in this case close is like 15 feet or less. Imagine the textures are like one of those dot paintings. Far away it looks great but close up it could be anything.

Solo

Oh man, I just about shit my pants when I walked into O'Malley's apartment and
BLEW THE FUCK UP
. Goddamn you, O'Malley!

Jensen's apartment is like
Deckard from Blade Runner's meets Anderton from Minority Report's
. Awesome. When I walked in, heard "welcome home, Jensen", and watched the blinds automatically roll up, that was my first *special* moment of the game so far. So good.

Things are going in the right direction!

Still can't play this game because of the stuttering that is affecting the game on my machine and quite a few people. Will have to wait until it's patched to experience this game in all its glory.

;_;

Solo

Zeliard said:
How did you get into the armory? I just
paid off that homeless black lady stereotype (her voice acting and dialogue, holy shit) and she gave me the code straight up.

Used a vent to get inside the adjacent office, then hacked the security terminal in the office to open the door.

TheExodu5

Banned
Blizzard said:
I paid attention to lipsyncing, and it seemed fine to me. :p Maybe I need to be more sensitive about everything. Normally stuttering and syncing stuff drives me nuts I thought.

I never noticed it with the lip synching. Try taking single bullet shots. Listen to your mouse click, and see how long it takes for the sound to play.

dmshaposv

BigJiantRobut said:
Boards of Canada, the TRON Legacy soundtrack, Faunts, M83, Helios, Dan Hecker, Actress, Com Truise.
Did you mean Tim Hecker?

The main menu music reminds me a lot of the stuff from harmony in ultraviolet. Awesome ambient/electronic album

TheExodu5

Banned
Lasthope106 said:
Still can't play this game because of the stuttering that is affecting the game on my machine and quite a few people. Will have to wait until it's patched to experience this game in all its glory.

;_;

The stuttering is quite annoying. I'm playing on an SSD, and it still stutters. Terrible streaming engine.

Spookie

Man I must be over half way through the game now and things are getting extremely batty...

Just like playing a Deus Ex game then!

Blizzard

Banned
Solo said:
Hey, please spoiler tag stuff, especially surprises like that. :( I'm not even done the first mission, I'm so tired I don't have time to play tonight, and I'm afraid I should bail out of this thread already.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Ok so I just timed my loading in the detroit hub after about 14 hours of play time, some interesting results, this is on an SSD:

- Load of quicksave with VSync disabled in-game, in the ATI control panel and D3D Overrider off: 1:17

- Load of quicksave with Vsync off in-game, set to "off unless application chooses otherwise" in ATi control panel and D3D Overrider on: 0:45

Here is my SSD speed for those wondering:
ibx64x.jpg

It's strange that I am getting longer load times with VSync off when everyone is saying the contrary. Regardless, the loading times are atrocious.

CaLe

Ermac said:

Absolutely not necessary to play the first one prior to it.

Yes there are some references here and there, but nothing that will ruin it for you.

Zeliard

Loading times are definitely a big issue since this is the type of game that demands experimentation. Personally I'm constantly trying new stuff out but having to spend so much time reloading if things don't go right takes a bit out of it.

Salsa

you know im noticing the game stutters a bit on Detroit during some areas, but lowering the graphic options dont make this go away. Anyone with any similar issues?

gtx 560ti and i5 2500k 3.3ghz. Playing at 1360x768 so i should be able to pull it off with no issues. No difference between any of the graphic options regarding how much it stutters.

coopolon

Pretty interesting post over at the official forums about the loading.

megabnx said:
After having similar issues to everyone else, I started doing some monitoring to see if I could pinpoint the source of the problem. I originally held my data on a regular HDD and experienced 40 second save load times and 10 second level load times. I migrated over to an SSD and experienced the same thing. I then ran Performance Monitor to see exactly what is going on.

Loading a level from a save

Loading a level by walking into it

In each case the solid black line represents disk operations per second. The lighter line underneath it is MB of data read per second. What you should notice is that aside from the spike at the start of the save loading one they look almost identical, exact just a little spread out. On average I seem to be making 50 file loads per second at an average rate of 5MB/s. Intrigued by this near constant rate of file load, I loaded up fraps and redid all of my loads. Much to no surprise, I held steady at almost a constant 50fps in both scenarios. I saw that some people had success with disabling vsync, but even that kept me at 50fps (frames AND files per second). Given all this, it seems safe to agree with the general consensus that the frame rate of the loading screen is an issue. What could be happening is that every frame the process spews out another fileIO request. However this does not explain why (some of us at least) see the same thing happening even with vsync forced off. In addition it is extremely odd that the constant is 50fps despite having a refresh rate of 60hz. Alternatively, the problem could be the reverse, i.e. Its sending out file requests at its constant rate of 50fps, and every time it gets a file back, it syncs the screen and waits for that sync to finish before sending off another request. The reason vsync helps some people is that the fileIO is handled differently depending on hardware, and the people it helped were getting more than my 50 for some arbitrary reason. It would be interesting if one of you who had v-sync fix it could post your loading fps with and without.

As a random extra datapoint, I rebooted my computer from Windows 7x64 into xp x86 and tried running the game then with vsync off (I probably should try it on too....). This time I had 100fps during loading screens and it loaded twice as fast.

tl;dr
The game is reading files as fast as the screen refreshes. Refresh the screen faster please.

Blizzard

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I never noticed it with the lip synching. Try taking single bullet shots. Listen to your mouse click, and see how long it takes for the sound to play.
Oh, I just loaded up (without the 360 pad plugged in this time) and shot a wall. I guess it's L4D2-like delay then, or maybe similar to Just Cause 2.

I just looked back at some of my screenshots. Though there are not a lot of high-resolution textures shown, I think what I like so much is how clean everything looks (like Mirror's Edge in a sense), and how semi-realistic some of the environments feel, as if someone could actually use an office.

TheExodu5

Banned
SalsaShark said:
you know im noticing the game stutters a bit on Detroit during some areas, but lowering the graphic options dont make this go away. Anyone with any similar issues?

gtx 560ti and i5 2500k 3.3ghz. Playing at 1360x768 so i should be able to pull it off with no issues. No difference between any of the graphic options regarding how much it stutters.

Yup.

The stutters are starting to drive me insane.

Way too many technical issues for me to bother with this game at the moment:

1) Mouse lag
2) Audio lag
3) Stutter
4) Improperly working SSAO
5) Load times
6) Diagonal movement

I think I'm going to save my playthrough for after they fix their game.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
alphaNoid said:
Load times need to be patches (PC version). My ssd though..vertex 2 can load in about 12 seconds...vsync off...D3D on.

Do you have a 120Hz monitor? i don't think it has anything to do with your SSD.

I can run the Witcher on Ultra at 40+ fps, Crysis 2 on Hardcore with DX11 at 30+ fps, but I can't run this game properly. I feel as if Nixxes is completely ignoring the people who have this issue. Hopefully once Europe gets the game on Friday more people will report the problem and cause Nixxes and Eidos to put more people to fix this.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The load times are synced to screen refresh?

What the flying fuck kind of amateur hour horseshit is that!?

Top Bottom