• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm in the second hub, and I'm having trouble finding side missions:

I just completed the chain where I ended up framing the pimp for the hooker in the whorehouse. I also completed the first story mission, going into the penthouse. Should I just continue on with the story missions, and more sidequests will open up? I've run all over both load zones of the lower city and only found that one side quest so far...

TheExodu5

Banned
coopolon said:
Same for me, but the fps during loading is also still 50. Is yours higher?

With vsync on, it's 60. With vsync off, it's ~165

Specs:

i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz
2x GTX 570 (SLI disabled, currently...not needed for this game)
8GB DDR3
Windows 7 64-bit

coopolon

TheExodu5 said:

Specs:

i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz
8GB DDR3
Windows 7 64-bit

Even with fps of 165 during the loading screen you're getting long load times? That would seem to contradict that theory then. For me when vsync is off my FPS can be over 100 during the game, but always goes back to 50 during the loading.

TheExodu5 said:
No, I'm not. I load in ~15s or so with 165fps. I said the load times are long with vsync on (either in game, or through d3d).

Ahh, my mistake, I misunderstood.

Edit: On the bright side, this should definitely be fixable with a patch right? It can't be something built into the engine.

TheExodu5

Banned
coopolon said:
Even with fps of 165 during the loading screen you're getting long load times? That would seem to contradict that theory then. For me when vsync is off my FPS can be over 100 during the game, but always goes back to 50 during the loading.

No, I'm not. I load in ~15s or so with 165fps. I said the load times are long with vsync on (either in game, or through d3d).

Card Boy

Banned
Excellent game so far. I had some hickups trying to get it running smooth at the start but now its fine. I got it maxed out with Direct X 11 on at 60fps on my 1gig 5870 at 1920x1080 res. All i changed was putting SSAO to normal instead of high and changed the AA from MMLA to FFLA Low (i see no jaggies with it on). Tessellation and everything else remains the same.

The only thing the annoys me so far is loading a save takes 10 to 20 seconds and is bloody annoying for a Stealth character, took me 3 hours just to do the first mission because of this.

I disabled that 'COD' style marker that tells you where to go as i felt it was handholding too much. The hacking mini game is pretty good, it shits on Alpha Protocols and Mass Effects one.

Hawk269

Anyone have the Strategy Guide for the game?

Just wondering if it is any good. Some guides are rubish, while others are really detailed.

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
bathala said:
that kinda tough having only a stun gun for the first boss battle.

lucky I have those sticky remote bombs, and the detonation control sucks too. U tend to throw an extra bomb if u don't holster ur weapon
There's guns all over the boss rooms.

Blizzard

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Yup.

The stutters are starting to drive me insane.

Way too many technical issues for me to bother with this game at the moment:

1) Mouse lag
2) Audio lag
3) Stutter
4) Improperly working SSAO
5) Load times
6) Diagonal movement

I think I'm going to save my playthrough for after they fix their game.
Honestly if SSAO bothers you too much to play a Deus Ex game, considering the horrible graphics of the first, then ehhhhh. :p Also I'm not bothered by mouse or audio lag, stutter isn't showing up even though I had stutter with Underworld, load times don't bother me too much and I try not to die too much, and I LIKE the idea of diagonal movement.

I forgot about straferunning. It's classic like 007! I didn't even think to use it. Thanks for the reminder. :D

Also did you ever try a game like Borderlands or maybe even Crysis 2 at release? The amount of options and lack of problems for me makes me just not understand how you can talk about so many technical issues as if the game is blanket bad. o_O

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
After getting my saves all screwed up yesterday I was finally able to make some real progress on this today, mostly sidequests. I'm really surprised at how meaty, fun, and interesting the sidequests are. They feel like real missions as opposed to simple distractions for some extra XP.

somedevil

FlyinJ said:
I'm in the second hub, and I'm having trouble finding side missions:

I just completed the chain where I ended up framing the pimp for the hooker in the whorehouse. I also completed the first story mission, going into the penthouse. Should I just continue on with the story missions, and more sidequests will open up? I've run all over both load zones of the lower city and only found that one side quest so far...

I found two more sidequests. One is in the hive where you have to talk to the bartender and the second one opens up during the story missions when you go to the hive to find the location of the hacker and when you go to him the other sidequest happens.

TUROK

The OnLive codes that come with the PC version, can those just be given away to people who don't have the game?

TheExodu5

Banned
Blizzard said:
Honestly if SSAO bothers you too much to play a Deus Ex game, considering the horrible graphics of the first, then ehhhhh. :p Also I'm not bothered by mouse or audio lag, stutter isn't showing up even though I had stutter with Underworld, load times don't bother me too much and I try not to die too much, and I LIKE the idea of diagonal movement.

I forgot about straferunning. It's classic like 007! I didn't even think to use it. Thanks for the reminder. :D

Also did you ever try a game like Borderlands or maybe even Crysis 2 at release? The amount of options and lack of problems for me makes me just not understand how you can talk about so many technical issues as if the game is blanket bad. o_O

Borderlands had annoying net issues, but was fine otherwise, and Crysis 2 worked fine from the start (actually, Crysis 2 is one of the more polished games I've played at launch).

The only issue bad enough here to get me to stop playing is the stuttering, but otherwise, it's the combination of technical flaws that is just telling me to come back after the game gets a few patches. As for the SSAO...it's not a huge deal, but it's still an issue and I might as well wait for it to get fixed (assuming they can fix it =\), along with the rest of the issues.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Games got one of the most interesting worlds ever in a game. The whole dynamic of working for a company that prides itself on augs and watching what it does to the city streets, while at the same time understanding what fellow employees are thinking is just brilliant. Especially since everything is coated with a Blade Runner vibe.

Derrick01

Banned
Seems like everyone went to Phoenix University. I caught a degree in Jensen's office and my friend found one in Sariff's :lol.

Off to check Pritchard's lab for one :p

FGMPR

Banned
loganclaws said:
Do you have a 120Hz monitor? i don't think it has anything to do with your SSD.

I'm using a 120hz monitor and my load times are pretty good, for what its worth.

And I'm using a shitty old hard drive (can't remember the speed, but its old and slow) and only have 2gigs of ram.

Blizzard

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Borderlands had annoying net issues, but was fine otherwise, and Crysis 2 worked fine from the start (actually, Crysis 2 is one of the more polished games I've played at launch).

The only issue bad enough here to get me to stop playing is the stuttering, but otherwise, it's the combination of technical flaws that is just telling me to come back after the game gets a few patches. As for the SSAO...it's not a huge deal, but it's still an issue and I might as well wait for it to get fixed (assuming they can fix it =\), along with the rest of the issues.
Wait, what? Borderlands had arrow keys not working with UI stuff, horrible network connection problems, lacked a ton of graphical options, and ended up with a user patch utility program to make it look nice. I'm not even sure if some of the AA options were ever available for AMD cards (as opposed to the like, 3-4+ AA options I can choose from in DX:HR).

Crysis 2 lacked DX11, lacked graphics options, had problems with people losing the catalyst stuff for ages, had crappy textures in areas (only recently addressed with DX11 I think)... I mean let's be fair here, was it really so polished for everyone besides you? :p

~Kinggi~ said:
Games got one of the most interesting worlds ever in a game. The whole dynamic of working for a company that prides itself on augs and watching what it does to the city streets, while at the same time understanding what fellow employees are thinking is just brilliant. Especially since everything is coated with a Blade Runner vibe.
I think this is one of the best points about the game. It draws you in with environments, art, music/sound, and world. I would describe it as "complex" and "interesting" I guess.

Gvaz

Banned
TUROK said:
The OnLive codes that come with the PC version, can those just be given away to people who don't have the game?
I would assume so.

If anyone has an OnLive copy they aren't going to use, I can deal with playing a low quality display if it means I get to play DXHR :(

I have a 2MB/s download speed so that's not an issue.

TheExodu5

Banned
Blizzard said:
Wait, what? Borderlands had arrow keys not working with UI stuff, horrible network connection problems, lacked a ton of graphical options, and ended up with a user patch utility program to make it look nice. I'm not even sure if some of the AA options were ever available for AMD cards (as opposed to the like, 3-4+ AA options I can choose from in DX:HR).

Crysis 2 lacked DX11, lacked graphics options, had problems with people losing the catalyst stuff for ages, had crappy textures in areas (only recently addressed with DX11 I think)... I mean let's be fair here, was it really so polished for everyone besides you? :p

But none of those issues really hindered playability. The game pausing/skipping every time I walk 50 feet does.

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
revolverjgw said:
How does the Reflex Booster work? How close together do the enemies have to be? Is it just two at once or can you take down more?

I'm considering buying it, but I'm not sure... right now, when I need to take down two guys at once, I usually run up to one with the stun-gun, then quickly take-down the other guy. It works well, but the RB is tempting...
Pretty sure the icon changes to let you know when you're close enough for a double takedown. It's two guys at once. If you see two enemies standing still and talking go for it.

ironcreed

Banned
Talk about a finely crafted game. Everything is just intricately woven together in a way where not even the side quests feel tacked on. They have an actual sense of importance and urgency, like you have to do them. More importantly, you actually want to. Because the atmosphere completely sucks you in and makes you feel like you are there partaking in something huge.

To top it off, you are constantly being made aware of different ways you could have done something. So it makes you want to play it again before you are even done the first time. This game is pure gold.

And here we are my fellow gaffians... an unboxing of the Collectors Edition from Australia.

YUMMMMY!

The figurine is one of the best I've got... SO DAMN GOOD!

14oaq.jpg

25o6u.jpg

3nol0.jpg

4fo70.jpg

52pqe.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pictures... I use my iPhone 4. It takes decent enough pictures outside, and they look okay on the iPhone 4 but when put on the computer they never come out looking so flash... well. Yeah, they're alright.

Lots of awesome kit here though, very very very nice shiz.

Installing now, looking forward to sinking my teef into it :D

TheExodu5 said:

Specs:

i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz
8GB DDR3
Windows 7 64-bit

Son of a bitch, I have the identical rig and have v-sync on. I noticed a little stuttering and figured the NVIDIA drivers weren't there yet. What settings are you currently using? (I am use 360 controller, input lag doesnt bother me)

BrikHog

Neo Member
This game is insane.

I got the "Punch through walls" aug at one point thinking it would be garbage or I will never use it. Then I proceed to stumble upon a ton of goodies. Now I cant imagine not having this aug.

(ps. im telling you to get the "punch through walls" aug. Its very handy for finding free stuff. Its one Praxis kit too...)

Social Enhancer aug is amazing also. Makes social encounters far more refreshing.

TheExodu5

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
Son of a bitch, I have the identical rig and have v-sync on. I noticed a little stuttering and figured the NVIDIA drivers weren't there yet. What settings are you currently using? (I am use 360 controller, input lag doesnt bother me)

SSAO off, DX11 off (both of those to fix input lag), VSync off (to fix loading). I haven't been able to find anything to fix the stuttering. I've spent too much time troubleshooting this game, so I'm just going to wait on it. I should hopefully be getting my Xenoblade copy before the weekend. <3

iavi

I remember reading somewhere that the team took the background hints--during conversations-- out of the game during the development because they saw that people stopped paying attention to the conversations... That can't be right. They're still in.

When trying to talk your way into the precinct, for example;
during the conversation with wayne, there's an empty pill bottle that's sticking out of the trashcan in the back of the office. It flashes. And if you have the persuasion aug you can use it to pressure him.

x3sphere

Well, I loaded up FRAPS and I'm getting around 120 FPS on the loading screen, so it seems like there's other factors?

With VSync off I'm getting load times of 7 seconds, sometimes as low as 4.

I also have the game on my Intel X25-M SSD right now. Besides that, other specs are i7 92 (3.5ghz), 6GB RAM, and a HD6970.

Turning ON VSync brings loading times back up to around 20 seconds, and that's on an SSD.

As far as game settings go, I'm running everything maxed, aside from SSAO off and FXAA High.

Solo said:
Jensen's apartment is like
Deckard from Blade Runner's meets Anderton from Minority Report's
. Awesome. When I walked in, heard "welcome home, Jensen", and watched the blinds automatically roll up, that was my first *special* moment of the game so far. So good.

Things are going in the right direction!

God yes! That was my first reaction. I just stood there and watched the shutters go up and the light filtering in. Reminded me of Bladerunner instantly. This game is amazing so far.

Einbroch said:
Figure kinda looks like he's permanently striking a sexy pose.

Just how I posed it :) It's posable.

Totally awesome figurine, I thought it would be just stuck in one position, but you can pose it however you want, and it comes with the gun, and also replaceable arms with fists and gun hands and also arm blades.

So sweet.

The artbook is small, but has some awesome artwork in it - frankly I'm a little disappointed by the art book, because artbooks are my favourite collectors item in collectors kits, but it's still got some great art.

I'll be getting the Skyrim Collectors Edition with the Steel Dragon for the big arse Art Book but I don't want the metal dragon... if anyone wants to buy the dragon from me afterwards... well, maybe it'll be good.

TUROK

Gvaz said:
I would assume so.

If anyone has an OnLive copy they aren't going to use, I can deal with playing a low quality display if it means I get to play DXHR :(

I have a 2MB/s download speed so that's not an issue.
Yeah, I'm hoping to bum an OnLive code too.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I did everything in the Cloak and Dagger sidequest and it won't let me complete it, still telling me to neutralize all of Double-Ts boys, even though I wrecked all of them. Guess it's bugged. Lame.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
GuiltybyAssociation said:
I did everything in the Cloak and Dagger sidequest and it won't let me complete it, still telling me to neutralize all of Double-Ts boys, even though I wrecked all of them. Guess it's bugged. Lame.
If you listen to the dialogue you are not supposed to kill them.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
GuiltybyAssociation said:
Chance are, you didn't, and he actually spawned on the unaccessible floor above. Get the see through walls aug, and you'll spot him.

Sucks.

ironcreed

Banned
Shortt Sirket said:
God yes! That was my first reaction. I just stood there and watched the shutters go up and the light filtering in. Reminded me of Bladerunner instantly. This game is amazing so far.

This game just gives you that... feeling. What I mean by that is at times it gives you a real sense of actually being there in this futuristic society. Even the apartment with it's lighting and overall ambiance had this effect on me. Not many games can pull that off, but this one nails it. Such a rare treat indeed.

TheExodu5 said:
SSAO off, DX11 off (both of those to fix input lag), VSync off (to fix loading). I haven't been able to find anything to fix the stuttering. I've spent too much time troubleshooting this game, so I'm just going to wait on it. I should hopefully be getting my Xenoblade copy before the weekend. <3

Well the latest NVIDIA driver fucked up my computer's ability to get video on returning from standby. Happen to know why the fuck that's going on?

Salsa

Im just dealing with the input lag really. Was gonna play a stealthy character with emphasis on takedowns and dart guns anyway.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
K2Valor said:
If you listen to the dialogue you are not supposed to kill them.

But I just knocked them out. There's a little tab on the quest page that tells me to so the cops can come in and whisk Double-T away. Was I not supposed to do even that?

Lyphen said:
Chance are, you didn't, and he actually spawned on the unaccessible floor above. Get the see through walls aug, and you'll spot him.

Sucks.

But I punched his lights out too. I followed everything on the quest page, him being knocked out was checked, but not his boys. Maybe some of them spawned on that unaccessible floor above? Weird.

Kinda bummed!

MechaX

Lyphen said:

Sucks.

I did read a fix to that bug on the GameFAQs forums. Apparently, you need to drag everyone you neutralized out of the room and somewhere else, leave, go inside the LIMB building or HQ, come back out, go back to the apartment, and knock out that last guy who hopefully properly spawned in the right area.

Top Bottom