• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Zeth

For new page: Anyone playing as a sniper with aiming aug maybe? Shotgun?

I'm thinking that could be fun in my next play through (stealthy, cloaked, lvl 5 hacker now). Curious how that would play out since I don't really want to use automatic weapons. I want to be lethal but still precise.

Well we're getting to the point where people have beaten it and discussions are starting... I'm outta this thread in case someone messes up a spoiler tag or doesn't think something is a spoiler when it is or even just little hints. It'll take me at least 30 hours to beat this at the methodical pace I'm going to taste every delicious drop of this GOTY fruit... probably closer to 40. Bzzz Ghost Protocol activated Bzzz

TheExodu5

Banned
From the official forum:

On the Steam boards, people have been successful reducing load times by turning v-sync off (with the in game toggle).

Initial load with Vsync: 46 seconds
Load with Vsync straight after save in same area: 44 seconds
Initial load without Vsync: 18 seconds
Load without Vsync straight after save in same area: 16 seconds

Called it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ferrio said:
How... how does that affect load times? I'm confused. Oh god I don't wanna turn it off...

The loading engine is waiting on the game to render a frame before it continues to load. The loading is essentially synchronized with the framerate.

Silly.

TimeLike

Zeth said:

I'm thinking that could be fun in my next play through (stealthy, cloaked, lvl 5 hacker now). Curious how that would play out since I don't really want to use automatic weapons. I want to be lethal but still precise.
Is there a silenced for the sniper? I got one but put it on the combat rifle. Is there chance to get more than one?

Fucking hell. Even changing to compatibility mode and running as an admin didn't stop constant crashing, so I go to verify my game cache for the third time today and the game starts downloading again from scratch. So now I'm downloading the game for at least the third time, hoping that I won't crash every 5 minutes when it finishes in an hour.

And you bastards are finishing the game already. My hatred is white hot and full of pointy pointy needles.

TheExodu5

Banned
It also means that if your rig can barely manage 60fps, then you probably won't get better load speeds by turning off vsync. The faster your rig (with vsync off), the faster it will load.

More anecdotal evidence:

Even more telling:
@1920x1200 with the rig outlined above
Vsync off: 180-200 FPS in loading screen, 10 seconds to load save.
Vsync on: 60 FPS in loading screen, 34 seconds to load save.

A third of the framerate, a third of the loading speed. Fun.

Maybe circumstancial, maybe not.

BigJiantRobut said:
Hrm, but I have V-sync off and the loads are still atrocious...

That means your framerate is probably around 60fps or below, hence removing vsync does not improve the framerate, and by associate, the load times.

On the first major mission, so first impressions.

-INVENTORY. What the fuck? I flipped my shit when I saw this. I thought inventory was too hardcore for console people. Somehow, I think they'll manage. Love it.

-Character model animation could have used a bit longer in the oven. Seems better for some characters than others.

-Great atmosphere, and I already like the characters. Graphics aren't stunning, but I do like the environments.

-I love dragging bodies into dark corners. I could do it all day. Er...in videogames, that is.

Dizzy-4U

TheExodu5 said:
From the official forum:

Initial load with Vsync: 46 seconds
Load with Vsync straight after save in same area: 44 seconds
Initial load without Vsync: 18 seconds
Load without Vsync straight after save in same area: 16 seconds

Called it.
I have Vsync forced from the nvidia drivers and the loading is nowhere near 40 seconds. I thought people were kinda exaggerating but now I see why.

Klocker

Heavy said:
I'd say so, yeah. Btw you can probably find a good deal with $10+ in credit or just straight up $50 somewhere. Pre-release Amazon had a $20 credit and Newegg $48 total

The game is not open world like Fallout but there are hubs and the gameplay sounds like it could be your cup of tea. It's definitely deeper than Mass Effect and more akin to Fallout.

hey thanks!

TheExodu5

Banned
Just ran some tests.

During the first part of the game.

Loading with VSync ON: 31.8s (60fps)
Loading with VSync OFF: 13.9s (165fps)

The loading is most certainly framerate dependent.

TacticalFox88 said:
PC users! How are the controls! These controls on consoles are wierd. But oddly, I still love this game.

Only good if you have SSAO and DirectX 11 off.

So in summary, to properly play this game, you need to run with SSAO off, DirectX 11 off, and VSync off.

=\

slipknot2009

Neo Member
So far I've learned that Stealth is HARD. Every time I've gone in expecting to be stealthy and not engage the guards, I've ended up having to blast my way out. When I take a more agressive proach, I run out of ammo and have to run and hide. It seems like the game forces you to play a hybrid style, which I really like.

x3sphere

TheExodu5 said:
Just ran some tests.

During the first part of the game.

Loading with VSync ON: 31.8s (60fps)
Loading with VSync OFF: 13.9s (165fps)

The loading is most certainly framerate dependent.

That's sloppy :/ GTA IV had the same issue if I recall

CaLe

Anyone here unable to turn on Stereoscopic 3D ? I'm running crossfire 6870 AMD cards.

Edit: Found the problem. Crossfire shouldn't be enabled.

MarshMellow96 said:
I know what you meant, it's just a really, really dumb choice.

I'm hoping the PS3 version allows you to download the soundtrack from the BD.

nope. you have to put the BD in an actual BD drive installed in your PC, and then explore the disc and go to the MP3 folder.

no way to get the music off of the disc to your PS3 directly.

eidos forums have a thread going and a mod said "it's being looked into". hopefully that means they will figure out a way for us to download it, but i don't see how that could work without *everyone* getting the soundtrack. (not that they don't deserve it, but i paid more for it...)

This game is actually pretty hard imo. If i go guns blazing i die pretty fast, if i stay behind cover I'll die, if I go stealth I'll get seen and die.

Zeth said:

I was planning on being a murderous stealth sniper.

I've been playing this whole first play through as Rambo, on normal difficulty, and haven't had any trouble at all. My second play through will be stealth, though.

Pimpbaa

x3sphere said:
That's sloppy :/ GTA IV had the same issue if I recall

It has the same issue if you force v-sync with d3doverrider. It's fine if you use the in game v-sync and only use d3doverrider to force triple buffering. Just Cause 2 has a similar issue as well, but not as bad and it's only when you first load the game.

TheExodu5

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
It has the same issue if you force v-sync with d3doverrider. It's fine if you use the in game v-sync and only use d3doverrider to force triple buffering. Just Cause 2 has a similar issue as well, but not as bad and it's only when you first load the game.

In the case of Deus Ex, it doesn't matter if you force the vsync through the game or d3d.

hamchan

I have plenty of ammo and I'm doing a hybrid of stealth and Rambo style. Enemies die quickly when you shoot them in the head so yeah.... Aim if you want to save ammo instead of spray and pray.

Swifty

When going aggro, I find that the same tips I figured out from the original Deus Ex still apply.

Minimize the number of shots you have to take a hostile down in order to conserve ammo (Aim for the head).
Dispatch your enemies as fast as you can (Aim for the head).
Take out enemies that are alone and not alert (Aim for the head from a concealed location)

Forget about taking on swarms of guys. You'll just get overwhelmed and swarmed like in the original Deus Ex if an alert is sent out.

TheExodu5

Banned
x3sphere said:
Can confirm it works. Diabled VSync, load times are down to 7 seconds for me now.

Yep.

Now, keep in mind that if your framerate is no higher than 60fps, you should not expect improved load times.

Ferrio

Banned
BadTaste105 said:
Any word on a patch to fix these nuisances in the game? i.e loading screen etc.

As said just recently, doing things to increase your FPS will decrease your loading. Still they should fix it, least there is a work around.

Zeliard

hamchan said:
I have plenty of ammo and I'm doing a hybrid of stealth and Rambo style. Enemies die quickly when you shoot them in the head so yeah.... Aim if you want to save ammo instead of spray and pray.

Not understanding the ammo complaints either. Maybe people meant something very specific, like tranquilizer darts? Otherwise it's mystifying, because shotgun and 10mm ammo for example are found everywhere. I can have easily blasted through every section so far if I wanted to.

I certainly don't feel pressured to play stealth as others have said. That just happens to be the naturally smarter, more efficient way to play, but you can shoot everyone in the face if you choose to play that way. Right now I have 75 bullets for my 10mm pistol and 25 shotgun shells. Maybe people are also forgetting to loot bodies? They often carry ammo, and plenty of 10mm ammo, since that's the weapon enemies primarily use in the early going.

Shit I totally forgot about those kills in the prologue. Well screw the achievement then, will continue stealthy but use lethal force when necessary/fun (killing someone through a wall).

Swifty

I think even if people are getting sub v-sync framerates during gameplay, shouldn't they still get a boost in load times from turning off V-sync especially if they're only GPU limited but not CPU limited? I would think the GPU is essentially just rendering one big textured quad during the load screen while the CPU is the one doing all the preprocessing work at that moment.

Just beat
Barrett
, took me 9 times though. I have no idea why he had so much health, three oil barrels exploding at him should have been enough.
Hopefully the other three are easier

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Zeliard said:
Not understanding the ammo complaints either. Maybe people meant something very specific, like tranquilizer darts? Otherwise it's mystifying, because shotgun and 10mm ammo for example are found everywhere. I can have easily blasted through every section so far if I wanted to.

I certainly don't feel pressured to play stealth as others have said. That just happens to be the naturally smarter, more efficient way to play, but you can shoot everyone in the face if you choose to play that way. Right now I have 75 bullets for my 10mm pistol and 25 shotgun shells. Maybe people are also forgetting to loot bodies? They often carry ammo, and plenty of 10mm ammo, since that's the weapon enemies primarily use in the early going.

On the mission for the third storyline mission. I went in with nothing other than my Traq gun and Stun Pistol. I picked one a combat rifle and all the bullets I could get from knocked out guards and exploring. I had a full mag + about 2 full ammo stacks of it. I used maybe 12-15 bullets on the boss.

Basically, I'm finding more ammo than I can carry. And once you get use to the stealth system. I'm going through groups of guards in a few minutes. The biggest slow down for me has been hacking.

Zeliard

hamchan said:
Looting the guns is separate from looting the bodies too, so many people are missing ammo that way.

Probably. Some people probably see the guns laying on the ground and think "well I don't want another one of those in my inventory." But if you already have that gun you only pick up its ammo.

Zeliard

Yeah I've had to throw away weapons and ammo because I was finding too much of it and it took too much space. Like the combat rifle. Its ammo like all ammo takes up two slots so I just got rid of it entirely. I'm using a tranq rifle and stun gun for non-lethal purposes, and my trusty upgraded 10mm and a shotgun when things get bloody.

TheExodu5

Banned
Swifty said:
I think even if people are getting sub v-sync framerates during gameplay, shouldn't they still get a boost in load times from turning off V-sync especially if they're only GPU limited but not CPU limited? I would think the GPU is essentially just rendering one big textured quad during the load screen while the CPU is the one doing all the preprocessing work at that moment.

I don't know what kind of framerate they're getting on the loading screen. I'm getting ~160, and someone with a GTX 580 was getting ~180, so I'm assuming the GPU speed does matter. =\

lack of ammo? i have 150 pistol rounds, 100 assault rifle rounds and a dozen tranq darts and stun gun charges. im not only a stealth player either. Loot, ppl sell ammo, loot.

garath

TheExodu5 said:
I don't know what kind of framerate they're getting on the loading screen. I'm getting ~160, and someone with a GTX 580 was getting ~180, so I'm assuming the GPU speed does matter. =\

I see ~80fps in game but I'm rock solid at 50 during loading screens. I've had v-sync off the whole time.

Not quite sure what's causing mine to stick at 50. I started turning things off one by one but I got bored of the load screen. I'll try again tomorrow.

Still don't see the fuss about the mouse though. No lag here at all. vync off, dx11 on, ssao normal, triple buffering on.

1stStrike

Banned
Damn, this game is so awesome. I'm 21 hours in and JUST about to leave Detroit. There's so much hidden shit to find - even now, I'm sure that I've missed stuff.

Top Bottom