• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

TheExodu5

Banned
Pachinko said:
so I'm getting a bit of a general concensus here that this game is awesome but people like myself that want to try it on PC should wait for a patch to clean up some issues?

Is that about right? I've got enough on my plate that I don't need this game right now anyway.

Yup.

coopolon

Pachinko said:
so I'm getting a bit of a general concensus here that this game is awesome but people like myself that want to try it on PC should wait for a patch to clean up some issues?

Is that about right? I've got enough on my plate that I don't need this game right now anyway.

I think so. I've really enjoyed how far I've gotten but have decided to just go back to my backlog for a month or two until it's been patched a few times (this is now the third time I've said this though...and I keep playing, that just shows you how much I like the game). There are a lot of great PC features in the port that show some real effort was put into it, but there are also some rather significant technical problems that hopefully will be patched. The mouse controls can be gotten around either via controller or turning off SSAO, but the stuttering and load times are pretty bad and acceptable solutions have still not been found. I wouldn't recommend any PC gamers buy it right now, especially with how prices go on PC. By the time it's fixed to an acceptable state it will probably be considerably cheaper.

Chuck

Still without luck
Firehead said:
Right, looks like I'll have to restart my game. Didn't know it counted against you if you killed people in the prologue. What about the canisters with the green gas? Do those kill them or just knock them out?
I would like to know this as well.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
EmCeeGramr said:
I couldn't do the basketball. If I did, I couldn't tell and didn't get a reward.

IN THE FUTURE MY HIDEOUS ROBOT ARMS ARE TOO STRONG FOR BAS-KET-BALL
Lol I used my strong robot legs to hop on top of the hoop and just dropped the ball in.

watershed

Banned
Papercuts said:
It's whatever shoot is.

That basketball was a bitch to get in the hoop, Jensen hurls that shit. I just crouched near it, aimed at the sky and had it drop in.
Cool thanks, and thanks for all the responses folks!

Zeliard said:
Anyone else been playing through with no object highlights? I've had it off since the start and it's been smooth sailing without it so far. Little objects you can pick up tend to stick out in some way or even flash, and other objects to manipulate like doors and ladders are clear enough. When you're close to an object you still get the button prompt so it ends up working pretty nicely.

God no, there's too many small details in the environment in this game, it's not like the first game where things you could pick up/interact with stood out against the bland backgrounds like a soon-to-be-opened door in a Scooby Doo cartoon. I'm wasting enough time as it is visually scanning every nook and cranny for shit, too many random interactive drawers that look like every other drawer. I never even considered turning the highlight off.

So, I'm getting this next week, Leaning heavily toward the PC version, but am considering the 360 version. Was the PC the lead development platform for this or consoles? Are there any current major technical issues like bugs or performance issues in either version that should sway me to one or the other? Honestly, the only reason I'm thinking about the console version is because I haven't bought a 360 game since like March.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
This game probably has some of the best atmosphere I've ever experienced. Really makes the game a notch better.

pc version seems to be running fine for me.

anyways, is there consequences for going terminator 1 on the police station. i already fucked with the cops so there's no turning back now but im just curious

Firehead

Firehead said:
Right, looks like I'll have to restart my game. Didn't know it counted against you if you killed people in the prologue. What about the canisters with the green gas? Do those kill them or just knock them out?
Anyone know if canisters count against the pacifist thing or not? :/

Carm

So, I've been playing off and on all night, and something has been bugging me. The way the character controls with m+kb feels really off, and I remember it being this way exactly in another game, Alien vs Predator. Controlling the marine in that game feels janky as hell, and that's how DE:HR feels. I really hope they can fix it, along with the stupid load times, stuttering in engine cinematics, etc. I'm also seeing weird graphical effects, like faint black vertical lines, like bad shadowing. Jaggies everywhere to, with it on MLAA, I'm not even sure what that setting is even doing.

This shows the faint lines
4E91DD6F219841FC60F3D0EBAEBB5DFD06B66554

White Man

This voice acting could use some augmentation. The game's presentation is otherwise fantastic, but the VA sticks out like a sore thumb.

supersaw

Carm said:
So, I've been playing off and on all night, and something has been bugging me. The way the character controls with m+kb feels really off, and I remember it being this way exactly in another game, Alien vs Predator. Controlling the marine in that game feels janky as hell, and that's how DE:HR feels. I really hope they can fix it, along with the stupid load times, stuttering in engine cinematics, etc. I'm also seeing weird graphical effects, like faint black vertical lines, like bad shadowing. Jaggies everywhere to, with it on MLAA, I'm not even sure what that setting is even doing.

It feels like there's some type of acceleration/precision scaling being applied to mouse input. Valve games should be the gold standard for mouse input, COD games also have good clean input with no scaling. I'm also not a fan of the seperate x, y sensitivity without any numerical reference. I hope they fix the controls with the upcoming patch as that seriously affects my enjoyment of the game.

Zeliard

duckroll said:
No object highlights, no objective markers, no reticle, no cover/takedown indicators. I picked "Give me Deus Ex" and most of those were already turned off anyway.

Yeah same, I've also been trying not to upgrade radar-related stuff since I already think it's a little too useful. The radar makes perfect sense in the game world and it is pretty cool they made it an actual aug Jensen has, so it doesn't jar with the story and setting.

Still, I could probably do without it. In the first Deus Ex you had to look at the enemies themselves to view their routes, which way they were looking, etc. But this time around the basic radar gives you all that info, which I think makes the stealth gameplay a bit easy.

revolverjgw said:
God no, there's too many small details in the environment in this game, it's not like the first game where things you could pick up/interact with stood out against the bland backgrounds like a soon-to-be-opened door in a Scooby Doo cartoon. I'm wasting enough time visually scanning every nook and cranny for shit as it is. I never even considered turning the highlight off.

They typically do stand out is the point. The little energy bars, the pocket secretaries, etc. Some of them will literally flash. It makes it so you have to actually look around your environment instead of just walking towards the orange highlight.

Grisby

I almost had a heart-attack.

In the first area hub at the apartments,
broke into a dudes room and then found a code for the cache in the back. Open door and *beep* KAAABOOOMMM. I jumped 6 feet I swear.

Derrick01

Banned
I got to Hengsha, did about 10 minutes of wandering around and had to quit for the night. That place looks extremely complex and maze-like. There's like 4 levels of connecting pathways and rooftops and it was making my head spin. It's pretty daunting to look at.

Chuck

Still without luck
GillianSeed79 said:
So, I'm getting this next week, Leaning heavily toward the PC version, but am considering the 360 version. Was the PC the lead development platform for this or consoles? Are there any current major technical issues like bugs or performance issues in either version that should sway me to one or the other? Honestly, the only reason I'm thinking about the console version is because I haven't bought a 360 game since like March.
I'd say get whatever version you want. It was designed for the 360 by Eidos Montreal, but Nixxes Studios did an excellent job on the PC port from what I can tell. Loading times are an issue on all platforms with uninstalled 360 being the worse. There seem to be a few bugs on all platforms too. Still, I'd say PC if you're used to the controls.

I was having so much fun stealthing through the first mission and running through all these air vents that I didn't realize how many rooms full of goodies I was missing. I got to the end of the mission and had missed several ebooks and other items so I decided to backtrack through the entire thing checking every single nook and cranny (damn RPG OCD). 9 hours into the game and I'm just now nearing the end of the first mission! I found a bunch of alternate paths, passwords, loads of ammo and items etc. I also got sidetracked for a while taking FRAPS videos of various stealth kills (only found two unique ones so far. I hope there are more so I can make a nice montage) and then reloading so as not to lose my Ghost status.

Yeah... this is going to take me longer than 20-25 hours to finish. >_<

Grisby said:
I almost had a heart-attack.

In the first area hub at the apartments,
broke into a dudes room and then found a code for the cache in the back. Open door and *beep* KAAABOOOMMM. I jumped 6 feet I swear.

So the game got you to. I had the unfortunate fate of having my surround sound cranked all the way up. My ears rang for 10 minutes.

Getting my ass kicked by the first boss with virtually no ammo. Get into that one room in the back on the left and load up but I either get stuck in that room with him chucking grenades or I run out in time and still get shot the f up. Pissing me the hell off right now.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I'm going to
Shangai
BITCHES!! On maximum difficulty I feel the game very easy accessible :/
I'm taking my time, exploring everything, talking to everyone and playing it on DX without highlights is making me immerse even more into the world.

Drewsky said:
I didn't get the Cloak and Dagger mission in Detroit for some reason. What do you have to do to pick it up?
Talk to a ho :p

jackdoe

coopolon said:
I think so. I've really enjoyed how far I've gotten but have decided to just go back to my backlog for a month or two until it's been patched a few times (this is now the third time I've said this though...and I keep playing, that just shows you how much I like the game). There are a lot of great PC features in the port that show some real effort was put into it, but there are also some rather significant technical problems that hopefully will be patched. The mouse controls can be gotten around either via controller or turning off SSAO, but the stuttering and load times are pretty bad and acceptable solutions have still not been found. I wouldn't recommend any PC gamers buy it right now, especially with how prices go on PC. By the time it's fixed to an acceptable state it will probably be considerably cheaper.
Hopefully, the stuttering issue is fixed soon. I want to say it's my HDD but other games that stream from my HDD don't have this stutter problem every time I turn the camera.

Neiteio

This guy

bhm03_SeaLab2021-QuinnPoint.jpg

is everywhere.

Seriously. I met him as a suit, as a janitor, as a hobo, as a gangbanger, all on the same block. Amazing.

But really, this game is awesome. I've only completed the first couple missions,
the factory
and
the police station
, as well as the side quest with
Megan's mom
, and now that I've been to
Adam's apartment
, I'm off to
Highland Park

I'm playing the PS3 version and the load times aren't bad at all -- in my experience they only take five or six seconds. The performance is great in general; just the slightest of stutters when walking around the expanses of Detroit from time to time.

The "piss filter" is warm, moody and immersive, so that's been pleasant as well. I also love seeing what's hot in 2027, like the black ball decor suspended from Sarif's penthouse suite ceiling, or the Gothic Lolita frills of news anchor Eliza. Gives the game culture. :)

Well, I've played this game about 10-11 hours over two nights. Just saw the launch trailer and I'm eager to see what lies ahead.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Game crashed on me real bad after taking a slight fall. Jensen is not for Mirror's Edging around Shanghai, I guess.

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Game crashed on me real bad after taking a slight fall. Jensen is not for Mirror's Edging around Shanghai, I guess.
Oh he definitely is.

Cybernetic Legs + Icarus = insanity in Shanghai.

Badgerst3

Kinda have a tough time finding walls i can punch through. Are they outlined in yellow like useable objects?

which brings up another question-gaf are you playing with "objects highlighted" or off?

i have toyed with both. Off mandates closer inspecting, with it on, at least i am not missing a ton of items. Thoughts?

Esch

Banned
Drewsky said:
I have to say the game that I'm most reminded of while playing this is MGS.
Yep. The level and art design are very very similar, there's no question. MGS4 in particular. At least for me so far. Which was in retrospect a fucking awesome game to play.

Drewsky

Badgerst3 said:
Kinda have a tough time finding walls i can punch through. Are they outlined in yellow like useable objects?

which brings up another question-gaf are you playing with "objects highlighted" or off?

i have toyed with both. Off mandates closer inspecting, with it on, at least i am not missing a ton of items. Thoughts?
I'm playing with it on.

Badgerst3 said:

I found it distracting so I disabled it.

Badgerst3 said:

Yes.

The game is amazing - PC version here. Mouse and keyboard took a little fine-tuning to get rid of the jank, now it feels silky smooth.

PS - If anyone is getting the "Cloak and Dagger" mission bug, it's because one of the enemies you need to take out has a bugged spawn location. Take everyone else out like normal, then drag them into the bedroom and shut the door. Leave the apartment building, and go into the L.I.M.B. building. Exit the L.I.M.B. building and head back to the apartment, dude should spawn in the right place - just make sure you dragged the other bodies into the bedroom and close the door, or he'll wake them up and you'll fail the mission. If it doesn't work, reenter the L.I.M.B. building and try again - it should work eventually.

Drewsky

EschatonDX said:
Yep. The level and art design are very very similar, there's no question. MGS4 in particular. At least for me so far. Which was in retrospect a fucking awesome game to play.
Yeah, I guess MGS4 specifically is what I was talking about. I'm really loving it though.

Question: I fucked up the beginning of the Detroid PD mission,
tried talking to the Desk Sergeant who has a history with Jensen, got locked out. Now, I got the hacker's chip or whatever and escaped, but I'm wondering if it's possible to go back to DPD and talk to the Desk Sergeant again and patch up the relationship or whatever. I'd like to be able to explore the DPD precinct without getting shot at.

Did anyone else when confronting O'Malley
knock him out, drag him out the building, drop him in front of Jenny, have her completely ignore his body in the conversation, and then proceed to shoot both of them in the face?

Question: I fucked up the beginning of the Detroid PD mission,
tried talking to the Desk Sergeant who has a history with Jensen, got locked out. Now, I got the hacker's chip or whatever and escaped, but I'm wondering if it's possible to go back to DPD and talk to the Desk Sergeant again and patch up the relationship or whatever. I'd like to be able to explore the DPD precinct without getting shot at.

I always save right before a conversation so if I mess it up I just reload my save until I get it right. If you don't have a previous save, your out of luck.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Did anyone else when confronting O'Malley
knock him out, drag him out the building, drop him in front of Jenny, have her completely ignore his body in the conversation, and then proceed to shoot both of them in the face?
I.... umm.... no.

Drewsky said:
I have to say the game that I'm most reminded of while playing this is MGS.

Which is why loved it all the more. Seriously, Jensen crouched with a silenced pistol in hand behind cover looks pretty much like Solid Snake.

Only complaints against the game are the boss battles (not ALL that bad but still not as awesome as 'normal' gameplay ) and shitty recharge on the battery system. Atleast make it auto recharge ALL cells once you fully upgraded the cell aug. I hate having the perfect set up to pull off some badass moves and then realize I'm out of juice. Sucks having all those augs and having to ration out their use. That and some textures are pretty low res on the PC. Well only a matter of time till someone puts out a highres pack I guess ^_^ Pretty stable too, just had one crash...at the ending credits no less.

Also a pulling a takedown through a wall and then slinking away cloaked never gets old.

*runs off for second play through*

Top Bottom