• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
The_Darkest_Red said:
Is there some kind of warning before the story takes you out of Detroit? I need to do a few more story missions to get my hacking augs upgraded but I don't want to accidentally leave town.
Just do all the sidemissions. One of mine got automatically canceled and I couldn't do it even upon returning to the hub after one of the missions. So frustrating.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Is there some kind of warning before the story takes you out of Detroit? I need to do a few more story missions to get my hacking augs upgraded but I don't want to accidentally leave town.
Yeah, the game warns you to complete all side missions before leaving.

daedalius

So, on the xbox, I ran into a bug trying to hand in the quest to Megan's Mom. Once I offered up all the pertinent information, the dialogue wheel was still there, but empty; also could not back out of the dialogue with any buttons.

Had to move on and skip the quest :(

BobsRevenge

daedalius said:
So, on the xbox, I ran into a bug trying to hand in the quest to Megan's Mom. Once I offered up all the pertinent information, the dialogue wheel was still there, but empty; also could not back out of the dialogue with any buttons.

Had to move on and skip the quest :(
Did you open up the safe in the room you had to break into?

This seems like one of those games where a strategy guide would be nice to have as a reference for multiple playthroughs. Anyone know if the Future Press one that's being sold everywhere is any good?

Tip for the second boss.
When Eliza tells you to run for it, just watch her arrow and then sprint around one of the server tower things in circles. Yelena will never catch you. You can time your sprints so that she'll use her claymore while you run behind the server tower (it wont hit you). I found using the machine pistol the best way to take care her.

webrunner

Infinite_Daremo said:
Just completed it. IMO better than the first. The ending was pretty anti climatic, I felt the endings for the first were better but then they couldn't really do anything too risky or it wouldn't have flown with the Deus Ex timeline.

Only other nitpicks wer the hacking got dull eventually. Initially it was irritating but then it became a chore, I much preferred the originals way of Lockpicking / Hacking. Also the bosses, playing through on hard the first time without knowing the bosses weaknesses/patterns was annoying only to be further greeted with 30 second load times.

Checking the Steam achievements it looks like I missed a few side quests. Yay i can play again :)

Your personal achievments or the Global ones?

Steam Achievements can be hidden but they don't show up in personal as "Hidden Achievement" like they do on Xbox.

There's actually probably more than double the actual achievements you see fi you look at the personal achivement page.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
There is one quick question.

Anyone know how many side missions are available in each area? I believe I got everything in Detriot, but now I'm not sure.

Derrick01

Banned
So are the saves automatically using steam cloud? I can't seem to find them anywhere on my computer so I have to assume it's on the cloud.

Derrick01 said:
So are the saves automatically using steam cloud? I can't seem to find them anywhere on my computer so I have to assume it's on the cloud.
Yup. If you are online it seems like every save you make is automaticaly in the cloud.

Derrick01 said:
Yup. At least, Jeff Gerstmann in the GB quick look mentioned that he was able to continue his save from his home PC in the office. Pretty sure I've seen the game mentioned something about syncing to cloud once I've closed it, too.

Derrick01

Banned
hmm I guess that's alright. I'd prefer an option to save wherever I want, including the cloud, like how dungeon siege 3 does it but no big deal I guess.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
alphaNoid said:
Any tips for how to beat the first boss?
Warehouse boss
Fire extinguishers, poison barrels, explosive barrels. Throw 'em. Four or five barrels should do it.

alphaNoid said:
Any tips for how to beat the first boss?
Warehouse boss

Stun gun him (I think there's one in the room if you don't have one). While he's stunned, headshot the shit out of him. When he shakes it off, stun him again, rinse repeat. He'll never move a step.

alphaNoid

Banned
Lostconfused said:
What items do you have? How are you playing? Just use everything you have and stay in cover.

Most points have gone to hacking, 1 into heavy objects. I'm basically sneaking around large rooms of enemies but have enough guns/ammo to fight it out. Is there any one single gun I should be using on this boss? I've done the whole run and gun and cover but he eventually gets close and starts pounding. Once I had him low and he tossed tons
of grenades, nowhere to hide

It was late, perhaps a fresh run tonight will be successful. But it was a challenging boss fight, after a challenging level grind (I thought).

Laekon

Has anyone gotten stuck in a conversation yet? I can't finish a mission because after running through the info I found all the dialog options are gone but the npc doesn't say anything. I also can't leave the conversation without alt-tab'ing out and then reloading.

alphaNoid

Banned
revolverjgw said:
Stun gun him (I think there's one in the room if you don't have one). While he's stunned, headshot the shit out of him. When he shakes it off, stun him again, rinse repeat. He'll never move a step.
I did have an EMP grenade left over which I noticed did the same thing. I dont have a stun gun so I'll have to find the one in the room. Awesome, thanks guys!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BobsRevenge said:
Just do all the sidemissions. One of mine got automatically canceled and I couldn't do it even upon returning to the hub after one of the missions. So frustrating.
I'm pretty sure the sidequest you are referring to had to do with the mission you left Detroit to go on so that is why it was cancelled. The sidequest would be completely pointless after the mission.

Wallach

Just about to finish downloading.

Can I fuck people up pretty good just with my robot arms? I kind of want to go with more non-lethal weapons since those should provide me more opportunity to jack people up with my cyber-pythons. Is there a way to be intentionally lethal with 'em? I don't really want to use guns (partly because guns in the first game were effective but boring as all fuck) but I'd like to be able to really smash people if I feel the need. That and I definitely want to punch through walls.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wallach said:
Just about to finish downloading.

Can I fuck people up pretty good just with my robot arms? I kind of want to go with more non-lethal weapons since those should provide me more opportunity to jack people up with my cyber-pythons. Is there a way to be intentionally lethal with 'em? I don't really want to use guns (partly because guns in the first game were effective but boring as all fuck) but I'd like to be able to really smash people if I feel the need. That and I definitely want to punch through walls.
Yeah the takedown button is tapped for non-lethal and held down for lethal.

This might seem like a pretty basic question but it's something I haven't experienced personally so I figured I would ask. Is it possible to do a takedown on an enemy that has already seen you and is facing you? I mean, can you just run up to some guy who is behind cover and pull a takedown on him, or do you have to do it from stealth?

Wallach

Stallion Free said:
Yeah the takedown button is tapped for non-lethal and held down for lethal.

Okay. That is pretty good. Is there any way to hurt bosses with them, though? Or do I need to use environment stuff and/or regular weapons to kill those?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The_Darkest_Red said:
This might seem like a pretty basic question but it's something I haven't experienced personally so I figured I would ask. Is it possible to do a takedown on an enemy that has already seen you and is facing you? I mean, can you just run up to some guy who is behind cover and pull a takedown on him, or do you have to do it from stealth?

Takedowns always work, so yes, you can just run up to someones face and smack them silly.

Going to ask again - how many hubs are there? I thought
, but some people mention there are in fact
such cities. (spoiler tags for sensitive folk)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ikuu said:
Uggh boss fights, why did they have to add them to the game.
They aren't that bad, even on the hardest difficulty if you play to your strengths. I had a hunch the mission I went on would have a boss so I grabbed some mines on the way and during the mission I was able to find a couple EMP nades. That was all I needed.

daedalius

Ikuu said:
Uggh boss fights, why did they have to add them to the game.

Because sometimes you really don't have a choice, and you just have to take someone out.

Although, the mechanics in said fights aren't exactly amazing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
moop1167 said:
So are people using toggle or hold for the cover system?
When I play with keyboard and mouse, I use toggle. When using the gamepad, however, I switch to hold.

Varna

CrudeDiatribe said:
Except in the prologue 'mission'. Was quite surprised when melee didn't work.

Yeah. That was dumb. Like they wanted to force you to kill enemies so someone could use it against you later or something.

Zeth

Can anyone tell me how far I am/how much I have left?
recently arrived at the Montreal TV station, it's now swarming with bad guys

I'm not finished with the game, probably around 2/3 done I think.
Got back to Detroit after fighting the 2nd boss.
Game is for the most part fantastic but so far I haven't seen any true "I can do that?!" moments like in first game. There's nothing so far that comes close to being able to (DX1 Spoilers)
kill Anna Navarre on Lebedev's plane, or being able to save Paul after he explicitly tells you to run away.
I don't know, maybe someone who's completed the game can correct me if I'm wrong.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Corky said:
Aww I'd like me some tactical pack codes...

edit : waitaminute, I preordered it on D2D, shouldn't I get the ingame items wherever I preordered from?

Anyone?` Tactical pack that is, I know people who bought outside steam don't get tf2 items.

BobsRevenge

daedalius said:
Yes, I got everything about Megan's case; at least so I thought. There was nothing left to get in the room.
Did you get the
bracelet?

Not really sure why I spoilered that. I doubt anyone cares.

Top Bottom