• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
Bootaaay said:
Man, I just don't get that shitty hacking mini game. I seem to get detected too fast to do anything, and now I'm fucking stuck.
If you look around enough you can find the passwords instead of hacking.

was wondering why people are complaining about the police station, it seems
they alert on you if you don't convince the guy at the front desk to let you in?

Two hours play time = not even past the third stage of the first level. Playing on the hardest difficulty and exploring as much as possible. It's.... It's just like mah Deus Ex I know and love.

Because the developers probably read this stuff: THANK YOU.

1stStrike

Banned
Hacking is another one that takes some getting used to. Try the following:

1. When starting, make sure you upgrade your own node at the beginning, as well as the first one or two that you capture to slow the PC down.

2. Capture more then one at once. If you're only going via one path, then the computer can possibly come up the other path and get you.

3. Use the special nodes, like "spam", to slow the computer down.

4. Don't be afraid to use a nuke virus when capturing larger nodes (like a 5 or 6) or the final node if the PC is encroaching on your territory.

The thing about hacking: take a few seconds to examine the current setup, see how you want to attack it, and then BE QUICK. If you take your sweet ass time, you'll never be fast enough to beat the PC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Imagine how us PC players feel when we're faced with those ghetto videos.
It's annoying, but it makes more sense in the PC version if they want to keep file size down (to ship on one DVD and reduce size of download). With the PS3 version, the game ships on a large disc regardless so there is no reason not to include them.

Sotha Sil

So glad to read positive comments. After all those years, and all this hype... I thought not being disappointed would be almost impossible.

Solo

1stStrike said:
For those of you having difficulties in the police station:
You can talk the guy at the front desk into granting you permission to go in, and then you can wander around unmolested without having to kill everyone.

Or you could do the exact opposite and actually have fun. When I see a police station in a game, I gets my Terminator on.

1stStrike

Banned
Sotha Sil said:
So glad to read positive comments. After all those years, and all this hype... I thought not being disappointed would be almost impossible.

They did a great job. I'm just past china now and again, like with Detroit, I'm sure I still missed stuff there. There's SO much crammed into this game, that even scouring everything I can find, it's still easy to miss something. I have no qualms about the combat either - stealth + the ability to knock out two people at once is great. Or, simply shooting them from a distance with the tranq rifle.

I haven't been bored with any of the side missions, either. In fact, I usually do them before the main missions because they've all been fun.

It's got a thumbs up from me.

Solo said:
Or you could do the exact opposite and actually have fun. When I see a police station in a game, I gets my Terminator on.

I did have fun - it was fun walking around in plain sight, silently taking out patrolling officers, and sneaking into offices via air vents or hacking offices doors. I'm on a sneaking/non-lethal play through so I want to avoid killing the entire police station this time around :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
dark10x said:
It's annoying, but it makes more sense in the PC version if they want to keep file size down (to ship on one DVD and reduce size of download). With the PS3 version, the game ships on a large disc regardless so there is no reason not to include them.
That's quite true, but the game is also steamworks. There's no reason why once you install the game, it doesn't update the videos with high res.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Even the guys who got the game on PC are dealing with the crappy cutscenes so it's definitely not a problem that's exclusive to the console versions. It seems really weird to me as well.

It's sad, esp. since extended CGI included with Augmented Edition looks glorious.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Castor Krieg said:
It's sad, esp. since extended CGI included with Augmented Edition looks glorious.
Is that what's on the bonus disc? I haven't popped it in, yet, for fear of spoilers.

goldenpp72

Someone I know is having this problem, anyone have a solution? I'm doing a no kill run thus far so I don't know.

"I'm totally missing something obvious here, but I keep running out of ammo when I have ammo clips in my inventory. It wont let me reload. What the deal?"

newsguy

1stStrike said:
You can buy a crossbow at the weapon merchant in china. It's 2,000 credits for it. So, you shouldn't worry about it.

You're following the tree wrong, then.
As per the text that comes up, you have to first calm him down, then bring him back up again to get what you want. If you don't pressure him at the end, he'll get all sappy and tell you to go away.
Thanks, but now that I messed it up the first time I dont get an option to even talk to him. Do you know if he'll eventually open up again?

Trouble said:
Goddamn, I am loving this game!
tuhEI.jpg

Is that a Demolition Man reference? LOL Awesome, I love that movie.

Gvaz said:
I had to go look up demolition man on youtube cause I've never even heard of it.

:(

Sotha Sil

1stStrike said:
They did a great job. I'm just past china now and again, like with Detroit, I'm sure I still missed stuff there. There's SO much crammed into this game, that even scouring everything I can find, it's still easy to miss something. I have no qualms about the combat either - stealth + the ability to knock out two people at once is great. Or, simply shooting them from a distance with the tranq rifle.

I haven't been bored with any of the side missions, either. In fact, I usually do them before the main missions because they've all been fun.

It's got a thumbs up from me.

I'm really, really glad to hear it. I would have bought any decent hub-based adventure game, but if we're talking Deus Ex-level quality... I'm just glad I bought the collector on a whim.

Pete Rock

This game is a triumph, flat out. I haven't ever had this much genuine enjoyment in a single player game, nor been remotely as involved with my character development in the context of the storyline and quest results. I love working your way through a section of the world so thoroughly you exit through a backdoor route that you hadn't even thought of in the first place, finding a cache of items to support that type of approach nearby. Fantastic.

1stStrike said:
For those of you having difficulties in the police station:
You can talk the guy at the front desk into granting you permission to go in, and then you can wander around unmolested without having to kill everyone.

I found that out the hard way. I snuck into the police station without realizing it was one. I was just screwing around and sneaking into buildings and stealing stuff.

Blizzard

Banned
Pete Rock said:
This game is a triumph, flat out. I haven't ever had this much genuine enjoyment in a single player game, nor been remotely as involved with my character development in the context of the storyline and quest results. I love working your way through a section of the world so thoroughly you exit through a backdoor route that you hadn't even thought of in the first place, finding a cache of items to support that type of approach nearby. Fantastic.
The best part is, weren't some people saying that single player games are dying? I'm happy to have a complicated, singleplayer, non-Facebook-enabled, FPS/RPG to play in 2011. :) And in theory it might even workin Steam offline mode! Technology these days, I tell you what.

1stStrike

Banned
newsguy said:
Thanks, but now that I messed it up the first time I dont get an option to even talk to him. Do you know if he'll eventually open up again?

Yeah, you're going to have to either reload an earlier save or wait till your next play through. I recommend saving before that conversation so you can tackle it the right way, as it's quite significant.

Varna

Hm. Moving someone after they have been knocked out for a while kills them? This is a glitch right? I wish they would wake up after a while. Ruined a reward for myself. :(

newsguy

1stStrike said:
Yeah, you're going to have to either reload an earlier save or wait till your next play through. I recommend saving before that conversation so you can tackle it the right way, as it's quite significant.
:((((( there is so much I want to see in there but its super packed and very tough to sneak through.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Varna said:
Hm. Moving someone after they have been knocked out for a while kills them? This is a glitch right? I wish they would wake up after a while. Ruined a reward for myself. :(

I've had this happen, but only once, and I've moved tons of sweet sleeping guards.

Drakken

Question about the first mission:
Is it possible to get to the warehouse in time to save the hostages, or do they die no matter what? I took a really, really long time heading to the warehouse, cause I was exploring every inch of the Sarif building. David contacted me a few times, urging me to hurry, finally saying something like "The situation has gotten much worse." I'm wondering if that had any effect on the outcome.

Also RE Mrs. Reed sidequest:
I found all the documents and talked to Megan's mom in the Chiron lobby. I believe the mission is now marked as complete. However, I didn't open the safe (with the bracelet in it). I'm waiting till I can hack it per that guy's (the detective who gives you the info... can't remember his name) request, as I don't want him to get in trouble because of me using the code. (I don't know if he would actually get in trouble, but I didn't want to take any chances.) Does the bracelet factor into things? I don't want to miss out on something here because of not giving the bracelet to her mom or something.

Derrick01

Banned
Volcynika said:
If you punch someone through the wall, does that knock them out or does it kill them?

Pretty sure kill. It appears like he snaps the guy's neck after he grabs him. It makes sense since breaking the wall makes a shit ton of noise anyway so they intended it to be a lethal manuever.

alphaNoid

Banned
Drakken said:
Is it possible to get to the warehouse in time to save the hostages, or do they die no matter what? I took a really, really long time heading to the warehouse, cause I was exploring every inch of the Sarif building. David contacted me a few times, urging me to hurry, finally saying something like "The situation has gotten much worse." I'm wondering if that had any effect on the outcome.

For what its worth, I gunned my way through quite fast, opted not to save the hostage at the end boss, and instead fought him and killed him in one shot. SWAT came in and David said the hostages could not be saved by SWAT. I'm not sure they can be saved at all honestly.

So I take it this game at least met expectations? Or did it exceed them?

Thinking of picking it up when I get paid on Friday. I've never played the original Deus Ex.

Drakken said:
Yes, it is possible, and yes, it's your fault that they died. A few people in this thread were able to save the hostages and I'm guessing that it's because they didn't ignore David for a long time like you did. Don't feel bad though, I did the exact same thing.

ctrayne

alphaNoid said:
For what its worth, I gunned my way through quite fast, opted not to save the hostage at the end boss, and instead fought him and killed him in one shot. SWAT came in and David said the hostages could not be saved by SWAT. I'm not sure they can be saved at all honestly.
They absolutely can be saved.
You have to move quickly though.

Volcynika

I was just wondering! I was going for no kills. Didn't know if he just punched through and knocked the guy unconscious with rubble and such. Hadn't seen the animation.

Solo

Sotha Sil said:
Guys, if you throw an unconscious guard in the street from the third floor to mess with the hobos, does he die? This is important

No, but he breaks his back, ends up in a wheelchair, develops telekinesis and eventually starts up a school for the gifted.

Drakken

The_Darkest_Red said:
Yes, it is possible, and yes, it's your fault that they died. A few people in this thread were able to save the hostages and I'm guessing that it's because they didn't ignore David for a long time like you did. Don't feel bad though, I did the exact same thing.

Awesome! Crazy that the story events can change in a major way just based on passage of time.

So has anyone's Amazon.co.uk order shipped yet? I have a bad feeling I'm not going to be playing this weekend :-(

Edit: Long weekend too...double :-(

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
ctrayne said:
They absolutely can be saved.
You have to move quickly though.
tbh, I didn't even feel like I moved quickly. I was using stealth and everything. It seems like it gives you a reasonable amount of time to do it...

MedIC86

I did not play the game, but can anyone tell me:

- Is it possible to kill enemies while they are unconscious ?

- If a living enemy finds a dead one, does this trigger the alarm (or something like that)

- is it possible to drag bodies, to hide them or whatever?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
alphaNoid said:

I was able to save all of them. First off, don't hang around for long at the Detroit office. You can explore for a couple minutes, but you will come back to the area after the mission. Proceed through the mission normally. At some point, you should come across a room that has the hostages. DO NOT GO THROUGH THE DOORS. You will set off the bomb, and there is no way to stop it then. There is an air vent nearby that leads into the room. Find it, get into the room, and defuse the bomb. Mission accomplished.

I was also able to save the woman at the end by negotiating with Sanders. He let her go and got off free. Turns out the woman is married to one of the hostages. If you save both them, find their apartment in Detroit, talk to the husband, and you can get a 25% discount with one of the merchants. It's a side quest if you meet the requirements, so you should be able to find the husband. I'm still looking for the merchant, so I don't know yet if that discount is really worth it, at least for my stealth character.

I think I got pretty lucky by accomplishing all of this, especially with the end negotiations, so YMMV. I killed the hostages at first, but I screwed up soon after and was shot dead anyway. I was glad I saved before I tripped the bomb.

SLV

MedIC86 said:

- If a living enemy finds a dead one, does this trigger the alarm (or something like that)

Yes on all accounts

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MedIC86 said:

1) Haven't tried, but I'd imagine so

2) If another enemy finds an unconscious one he will wake him up and go into alert mode. It doesn't necessarily raise an alarm, but it does alert the people in the area.

3) Yes, it is possible to drag and hide bodies anywhere.

Drakken said:
Awesome! Crazy that the story events can change in a major way just based on passage of time.
I know! That realization seriously blew my mind when I first found out about it. It's crazy how we get so used to silly things in games (like a false sense of urgency) that we start expecting them to be in other games. Well played, Eidos Montreal.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Heavy said:
Have you tried D3D Overrider? Just turn it on with that. Have the in game setting off

Tried that, and still get tearing. Thanks for the suggestion though I had not tried it before.

Also tried CCC, and Radeon Pro.

Any suggestions?

Top Bottom