• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, so I checked out a "walkthrough" video on Eurogamer for shits and right from the start they show a "press start" screen displaying Jensen created with triangles. It's absolutely beautiful, but I've never seen anything like that in my PC copy.

Anyone know what that screen is?

Derrick01

Banned
Red Blaster said:
I'm not finished with the game, probably around 2/3 done I think.
Got back to Detroit after fighting the 2nd boss.
Game is for the most part fantastic but so far I haven't seen any true "I can do that?!" moments like in first game. There's nothing so far that comes close to being able to (DX1 Spoilers)
kill Anna Navarre on Lebedev's plane, or being able to save Paul after he explicitly tells you to run away.
I don't know, maybe someone who's completed the game can correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm only a couple hours into the 2nd hub but I feel the same way. It's a great game but doesn't have any of those kinds of moments that made DX1 truly memorable. I don't think any game will ever be able to nail that kind of stuff again.

Philthy

dark10x said:
OK, so I checked out a "walkthrough" video on Eurogamer for shits and right from the start they show a "press start" screen displaying Jensen created with triangles. It's absolutely beautiful, but I've never seen anything like that in my PC copy.

It's the opening screen on my PS3 version.

Stallion Free said:
I wasn't surprised at all. He isn't modified at the start of the game.

He could've pulled out a knife or clubbed the foe with his rifle (though if it worked, why do you need energy to do a takedown later?). Not a big deal once you're past the first ten minutes of the game, but it was annoying at the time.

Derrick01 said:
I'm only a couple hours into the 2nd hub but I feel the same way. It's a great game but doesn't have any of those kinds of moments that made DX1 truly memorable. I don't think any game will ever be able to nail that kind of stuff again.

They took the (mostly bad to mediocre) moment-to-moment gameplay of DX1 and improved that ten-fold but I also feel that they kind of missed the bigger picture. The lousy boss fights are indicative of this too.

newsguy

I was going through with no kills and I did the dumbest/funniest thing. In Detroit
I was in the sewers and there were some thugs who wouldn't let me pass. I tranq'd them all and snuck them in the water. I made sure they were alive and not drowning. As I was leaving the sewer I flipped a breaker that I forgot was used to electrify the water. Sure enough all the guys were dead in the water... literally.

Are there any side quests other than the two for Mei, and Shanghai Justice, before taking the shuttle out? The game is warning me that side quests will be cancelled if I go...

SalsaShark said:
i probably will, but its not the same

now deep down i know i have an evil heart, my jensen is fucked, he's a murdererrrrrrr

They were asking for it.. they broke into your company and started shit.

jorgeton

Question about the quest you get from the prostitute in Detroit:

I completed it and gave her
back the crossbow I retrieved.
I am now regretting that decision. Do I get it back later in the game or pick up one like it? Is it worth reloading a save for?

dark10x

Philthy said:
It's the opening screen on my PS3 version.
Hmm, really? How very odd. I'm playing on PC and have not seen that at all.

I'm actually regretting buying the PC version. This is the kind of shit I absolutely HATE about PC games. My enjoyment of the game is being compromised by the constant stuttering and other bullshit that is impossible to fix and probably won't be patched.

Watching videos of the PS3 version, the framerate is obviously 30 fps, but it's much more consistent and doesn't hitch or stutter at all. The loading times are also just as fast as the PC version (which is another bizarre problem as the PC version should be 5x faster).

I'm just disappointed that all of the problems in the preview build remain unfixed.

The only thing the PC version gives me is the ability to change the FOV, which is nice.

The fact that the problems here cannot be eliminated with more powerful hardware is even more frustrating. The PC version simply doesn't run as well as it should on ANY PC. They put so much effort into PC features, but the performance isn't good enough. Wish I could return the PC version at this point.

newsguy

jorgeton said:

I am now regretting that decision. Do I get it back later in the game or pick up one like it? Is it worth reloading a save for?
Is it mean that I'm filling the blank with "AIDS?"

dark10x said:

It's the start screen for the console versions, it has been removed from the PC version because games that have screens like those often make people cry "console port".

Nixxes on the PC version:

JK: We really want them to know that Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a true PC game. Yes, you will have a lot of options, no “press start” screen, full mouse support everything we feel a PC game should have. Further, with the graphics, there are multiple options for anti-aliasing, shadow quality levels, and the ability to enable or disable various post processing effects. All controls can be fully remapped as expected from a PC game as well.

newsguy said:
I was going through with no kills and I did the dumbest/funniest thing. In Detroit
I was in the sewers and there were some thugs who wouldn't let me pass. I tranq'd them all and snuck them in the water. I made sure they were alive and not drowning. As I was leaving the sewer I flipped a breaker that I forgot was used to electrify the water. Sure enough all the guys were dead in the water... literally.
Haha that's so awesome! I just went invisible and snuck by those guys.

blackflag

I must be the worst player ever at this game. I died like 500 times in the
police station
and now I have to go back for another mission. RAGEEEEEE

I should just start capping everyone.

legbone

jorgeton said:

i'm glad you posted this. what is the mission number on that mission? i did not get that mission and cannot figure out why.

jorgeton

newsguy said:
Is it mean that I'm filling the blank with "AIDS?"

No, it is hilarious.

legbone said:
i'm glad you posted this. what is the mission number on that mission? i did not get that mission and cannot figure out why.

It's mission number 4 or 5, you can find her on the street close to derelict row and the chiron building (i forget the name of the building actually, but it's near the left-most spot on the map.)

Any stealth tips? Successful stealth maneuvers are so exhilarating in this game, but I'm finding I get halfway through a mission and then end up having to shoot up the whole damn place because I get spotted and set the whole base on high alert (see:
the Detroit Police Precinct, oh god that place was a mess - I even killed the guy I was supposed to intimidate for the Megan side quest, I also did a number on the gang territory where the transmitter needed to be taken down
). I've been putting Praxis points into stealth-related skills, but with how unsuccessful I've been in Sam Fisher mode, I'm wondering whether these were wasted points.

Also, where am I supposed to see the Tactical Enhancement Pack? I have a sniper rifle already, and I'm not really the shotgun type, so I could care less about the weapons --- but I'd really like those credits.

This game has been brilliant so far by the way.

ctrayne

Question: how many city hubs (or how many visits to existing hubs in the story), and how many bosses? Just curious. Loving it so far.

legbone

jorgeton said:
No, it is hilarious.

It's mission number 4 or 5, you can find her on the street close to derelict row and the chiron building (i forget the name of the building actually, but it's near the left-most spot on the map.)

cool thanks. damn, maybe that's not the one i am missing. i think the one i am missing is 1 or 2. i'm not sure, i'm not home right now so i can't check. why in the hell did i choose free shipping on my collector's edition strategy guide. i could be reading it right now and spoiling the crap out of myself.

Yaska

Hacking minigame really frustrates me. Without proper detection augs, level 3 hacks are damn nigh impossible.
Other than that I really love this game.

Syracuse022 said:
Also, where am I supposed to see the Tactical Enhancement Pack? I have a sniper rifle already, and I'm not really the shotgun type, so I could care less about the weapons --- but I'd really like those credits.
I'm not sure what system you're playing on but on PS3 you have to go to the store, enter the code, and download the pack. Once you do that you're automatically given the content when you start the first main mission.

Man, I just don't get that shitty hacking mini game. I seem to get detected too fast to do anything, and now I'm fucking stuck.

Maybe I just suck at the game, but I seem to hit a brick wall on every mission I play until, like now, I end up with nothing to do. Two missions that need me to get inside the police station and back out without killing any cops, one mission that needs me to wander around looking for a weapons cache in gang infested territory and one mission that needs me to hack a level 2 gate to get past, and I can't do the piece of shit mini-game. I spent my initial aug points poorly so had to grind to get hacking up just so I could open that gate, and now I can't do the freaking mini-game. I could go do the other missions, but I'm low on ammo and the only guy I can find that will sell and buy stuff doesn't seem to replenish his stock. Also, it'd be really helpful if I could find somewhere to store stuff, so I don't have to keep dropping shit to pick up new loot.

I'm sure this game does a lot of things well, it's just a shame that explaining itself isn't one of them.

dark10x

angular graphics said:
It's the start screen for the console versions, it has been removed from the PC version because games that have screens like those often make people cry "console port".

Nixxes on the PC version:
While far from the largest issue with the PC version, I do find that disappointing as that start screen is absolutely beautiful.

If the PC version ran fine, I'd be satisfied. Fuck I wish I had purchased it on PS3. :\

Mindman

blackflag said:
I must be the worst player ever at this game. I died like 500 times in the
police station
and now I have to go back for another mission. RAGEEEEEE

I should just start capping everyone.

Lol, I hear ya. I'm gonna sneak back out and visit the L.I.M.B. clinic first and then come back, I need some more augs to help me out.

daedalius

BobsRevenge said:
Did you get the
bracelet?

Not really sure why I spoilered that. I doubt anyone cares.

Yes, I had the
bracelet from the safe.

I imagine its gone now since I went ahead and flew to China. Kinda wanted to move on instead of keep screwing around with a borked side-quest.

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
jorgeton said:

You can buy one in the stores and I found 2 later on.

1stStrike

Banned
For those of you having difficulties in the police station:
You can talk the guy at the front desk into granting you permission to go in, and then you can wander around unmolested without having to kill everyone.

Bootaaay said:
Man, I just don't get that shitty hacking mini game. I seem to get detected too fast to do anything, and now I'm fucking stuck.

Maybe I just suck at the game, but I seem to hit a brick wall on every mission I play until, like now, I end up with nothing to do. Two missions that need me to get inside the police station and back out without killing any cops, one mission that needs me to wander around looking for a weapons cache in gang infested territory and one mission that needs me to hack a level 2 gate to get past, and I can't do the piece of shit mini-game. I spent my initial aug points poorly so had to grind to get hacking up just so I could open that gate, and now I can't do the freaking mini-game. I could go do the other missions, but I'm low on ammo and the only guy I can find that will sell and buy stuff doesn't seem to replenish his stock. Also, it'd be really helpful if I could find somewhere to store stuff, so I don't have to keep dropping shit to pick up new loot.

I'm sure this game does a lot of things well, it's just a shame that explaining itself isn't one of them.

I'll help you out..

Gate code -

Hacking isn't that hard.. the main things you have to keep an eye on are the server's path to your entry point and the path to your objective (green orb(s) ). Trace the path from the server to your entry point and make note of the type of path it is.. remember it can't traverse directional links in the direction opposite of what the link says (<< or >>) so don't worry about nodes that are connected to those links only, so it may not have a direct route to your entry point.

What you want to do is slow it down.. you can do this by fortifying the nodes you capture and fortifying your entry point. Spam objects also slow down its ability to detect you. I wouldn't fortify anything until you've already been detected, as it is more likely to be picked up by the server monitoring the network.

Hope this helps.

Bootaaay said:

It's not supposed to explain itself. The idea is that YOU have to find the explanations yourself. Just try doing random stuff that seems like it would be impossible in other games - chances are - it just might work in this one. Try distracting guards by throwing boxes around, look for alternate passages that might avoid the requirement of hacking or combat. Exploration is key in Deus Ex.

It may just be because I'm playing this after a bit of a summer hiatus from gaming but I'm pretty blown away by this game. I can't wait to have more time with it!

dark10x

1stStrike said:
For those of you having difficulties in the police station: You can talk the guy at the front desk into granting you permission to go in, and then you can wander around unmolested without having to kill everyone.
The number of options you have available are what make the game great, but man, sneaking through the police station and silently taking out cops was truly fantastic. Takes me right back to late 90s PC games. Absolutely fantastic!

The_Darkest_Red said:
I'm not sure what system you're playing on but on PS3 you have to go to the store, enter the code, and download the pack. Once you do that you're automatically given the content when you start the first main mission.
Hmm, I did that, I wonder if the unlock got saved to a different hard drive (Xbox 360) and, as a result, didn't get loaded up when I started the game. Guess I'll be tactically enhanced on the second playthrough.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bootaaay said:
You're doing it wrong. DX's strength is offering you options, but making you investigate them for yourself. It's about exploring and figuring out a solution. The game is not going to spoonfeed you the answers.

dark10x said:
The number of options you have available are what make the game great, but man, sneaking through the police station and silently taking out cops was truly fantastic. Takes me right back to late 90s PC games. Absolutely fantastic!
I dunno about you, but the most gratifying part for me was hiding half the police force in the air vents.

newsguy

1stStrike said:
You can talk the guy at the front desk into granting you permission to go in, and then you can wander around unmolested without having to kill everyone.
Even after upgrading my chat aug I wasn't able to sweet talk him into letting me in. Will he be available to talk to later or is that's option done?

1stStrike

Banned
jorgeton said:

You can buy a crossbow at the weapon merchant in china. It's 2,000 credits for it. So, you shouldn't worry about it.

newsguy said:
Even after upgrading my chat aug I wasn't able to sweet talk him into letting me in. Will he be available to talk to later or is that's option done?

You're following the tree wrong, then.
As per the text that comes up, you have to first calm him down, then bring him back up again to get what you want. If you don't pressure him at the end, he'll get all sappy and tell you to go away.

dark10x

thetrin said:
You're doing it wrong. DX's strength is offering you options, but making you investigate them for yourself. It's about exploring and figuring out a solution. The game is not going to spoonfeed you the answers.

I dunno about you, but the most gratifying part for me was hiding half the police force in the air vents.
Yep, I loved cramming them in there. Man, that mission was so good that I want to go play it again. If the rest of the game can keep that kind of quality, I'm going to be in heaven!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
dark10x said:
Yep, I loved cramming them in there. Man, that mission was so good that I want to go play it again. If the rest of the game can keep that kind of quality, I'm going to be in heaven!
The best was stuffing the entire 3rd and 2nd floors into the vents, and then going around front to get Haas' permission, and then casually walking back up to the 3rd floor to observe my own handiwork.

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
Syracuse022 said:
Any stealth tips? Successful stealth maneuvers are so exhilarating in this game, but I'm finding I get halfway through a mission and then end up having to shoot up the whole damn place because I get spotted and set the whole base on high alert
try getting the enemy cone of view aug, cloaking (maxed), and the silent running/walking augs.
ctrayne said:
how many bosses? Just curious. Loving it so far.
Yaska said:
Hacking minigame really frustrates me. Without proper detection augs, level 3 hacks are damn nigh impossible.
Other than that I really love this game.
Use the Nuke and Stop worm for the harder ones. or just look for the passwords.

This has to be one of the best games I've played in a while. My only complaints thus far are when you go in for a close quarters attack, the game cuts to black for a moment before the animation is displayed. It breaks the immersion for me, and could have easily been a 1st person to 3rd person transition instead.

Also, playing on the PS3 version, all the FMVs are compressed. Don't see how that's even necessary when it's a BD. And even if they had to be compressed, I'm assuming those look identical to the FMVs on the 360 build. How are they the same? Why can't PS3 gamers get the benefit of added disc space instead of having to watch those blurry FMVs.

thetrin

Even when you're low on nuke and stop worms (which is rare), level 3s are pretty easy. All you have to do is fortify every choke point on your way to the goal. Don't bother with level 1's the defense network can circumvent.

Stop worms make things infinitely easier, and Nukes are great for lvl 3+ nodes.

FairXchange said:
This has to be one of the best games I've played in a while. My only complaints thus far are when you go in for a close quarters attack, the game cuts to black for a moment before the animation is displayed. It breaks the immersion for me, and could have easily been a 1st person to 3rd person transition instead.

Also, playing on the PS3 version, all the FMVs are compressed. Don't see how that's even necessary when it's a BD. And even if they had to be compressed, I'm assuming those look identical to the FMVs on the 360 build. How are they the same? Why can't PS3 gamers get the benefit of added disc space instead of having to watch those blurry FMVs.
Imagine how us PC players feel when we're faced with those ghetto videos.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
1stStrike said:

I should have done that first. :lol

FairXchange said:
Even the guys who got the game on PC are dealing with the crappy cutscenes so it's definitely not a problem that's exclusive to the console versions. It seems really weird to me as well.

Top Bottom