• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

MedIC86

dark10x said:
1) Haven't tried, but I'd imagine so

2) If another enemy finds an unconscious one he will wake him up and go into alert mode. It doesn't necessarily raise an alarm, but it does alert the people in the area.

3) Yes, it is possible to drag and hide bodies anywhere.

Thank you !

this is gonna be glorious:D

I wish Steam would just do simultaneous worldwide unlocks. The two day wait for this has been painful, and there's still another 6.5 hours to go.

A question for PC users - the game is probably much better with keyboard, but is it good with a controller too?

BobsRevenge said:
tbh, I didn't even feel like I moved quickly. I was using stealth and everything. It seems like it gives you a reasonable amount of time to do it...
I don't think it matters how long it takes you to do the mission, just how long it takes you to start it.

I got through the first boss last night, was surprisingly good after reading some complaints about the bosses.

Had a bit of trouble at first, but after 2 emp grenades and one exploding barrel mixed with shots to the face in between, he went down really fast - even with having a stealth/hacking character with no points to improve combat. Also on "deus ex" difficulty.

Do the bosses get worse from here? Because I actually liked it.

Cutscenes continue to get a little more and more annoying though. Spend a lot of money on CGI, render them like complete ass. Makes sense.

Also - I haven't seen it mentioned, but I reduced the luminosity from 100 to 50 and it is a massive improvement, everything is not so bright and it matches the lighting closer to what is seen in the console versions and cutscenes.

MedIC86

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I wish Steam would just do simultaneous worldwide unlocks. The two day wait for this has been painful, and there's still another 6.5 hours to go.

Plus, whole Europe is gonna decrypt on 00:00 so the servers will die also probarly...

Varna

Tadale said:

If I knock someone out and move them right away they are sleeping. But if I come back to an hour I cleared out earlier (few hours) and try to move some bodies they die once I move them...

hamchan

ridley182 said:
So I take it this game at least met expectations? Or did it exceed them?

Thinking of picking it up when I get paid on Friday. I've never played the original Deus Ex.

Well I expected this to be a great game so my expectations were met. Other people though, if you read through past threads when the trailers were popping up, some people were so damn down on the game, had zero expectations and were pretty much expecting Invisible War 2. So I expect this game to blow those people's minds.

Ourobolus

Banned
Since I'm going non-lethal, is there a way to tell if you've killed someone that you've knocked unconscious? Some notification on-screen or something?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I tried capping the FPS to 30 and wow it causes the game to emphasize the stuttering even more. The fps is rock solid 30, but damn does it feel super jittery.

Ourobolus said:
Since I'm going non-lethal, is there a way to tell if you've killed someone that you've knocked unconscious? Some notification on-screen or something?

When you go to loot the body, it will show Zs if they are asleep or something else if they are dead, skull and crossbones maybe? It has been a while since I killed anyone so I can't remember.

I had 4 games, above all others, that I was looking forward to for the rest of 2011 - Deus Ex HR, Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3, and Skyrim.

To the last three - the opening act killed it. Good luck.

I can't remember the last time a game delivered the way Deus Ex has so far. I feel absolutely filthy that I have yet to take the time to play through the first now. Like, Lindsay Lohan filthy.

This will also be one of only 2-3 games in my 20 years as a gamer that'll Ill probably end up playing more than twice.

Pete Rock

ctrayne said:
They absolutely can be saved.
You have to move quickly though.
Not only that, but there is a nefarious fail safe that requires a more nuanced approach within that quicker timeframe.

Threading your actions back into the single hostage at the end of the level is probably one of the most interesting things I've ever seen attempted in a game and again, as everything else, it is handled astoundingly well considering it's entirely "optional" and you could just blow off that whole angle of the mission.

It immediately reminded me of playing the SkyJack paper sim years ago in school, as the instructor always made a point iterating the consequences of your actions through mock newsreels and media announcements after decisions were finalized and executed.

Fantastic.

Ourobolus said:
It will say "Sleeping" with a ZZZ icon above the search option in the context menu, if they are dead it will say so along with a skull icon above the search option.

Zeth said:
anyone know how to find out total play time on 360?
I've asked that question a few times regarding the PS3 version and based on what people have said I don't think there is a counter anywhere. The only way PC players know is through Steam so I'm guessing we're out of luck. It really bothers me not knowing how long I've played the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
dark10x said:
While far from the largest issue with the PC version, I do find that disappointing as that start screen is absolutely beautiful.

If the PC version ran fine, I'd be satisfied. Fuck I wish I had purchased it on PS3. :\
My PC version runs buttery smooth. I get like, a nano second of stuttering when I transition into a new area, but that's about it. I honestly haven't had any issues at all.

Ourobolus

Banned
Treemonkeys said:
When you go to loot the body, it will show Zs if they are asleep or something else if they are dead, skull and crossbones maybe? It has been a while since I killed anyone so I can't remember.
I haven't been checking. God I hope I haven't fucked that up.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
thetrin said:
My PC version runs buttery smooth. I get like, a nano second of stuttering when I transition into a new area, but that's about it. I honestly haven't had any issues at all.
Besides for the load times I'm not really having any issues, and I'm maxing the game out.

Loam

Do unconscious enemies ever wake up? I'm playing through on normal now and I have never had an instance of a stunned/tranquilized guard regaining consciousness. Currently in Shanghai, and even several hours after completing the first mission if I return to the area I can still find all the enemies asleep in the same places I left them.

Second big boss spoilers:
So what exactly is the proper way to dispose of Yelena with a stealthy build? I thought there would be something around the environment that I could use to my advantage without firing a round, like with Barrett, but all I found were the reactors on the walls that can shock her.. and yourself, thus making it kind of useless (unless there's a safe spot to the electricity that I didn't find). I ended up setting EMP mines and filling her with lead when she was staggered... something I never did in the game up until that point (use lethal arms). It's a good thing I chose to carry it around with me, though.. otherwise I'd probably be boned.

Aeana

thetrin said:
Do you not get any slowdown in the city area? I have a great solid 60 FPS everywhere but some parts of Detroit, where my framerate will go into the 40s. :\

Marleyman

Banned
Pete Rock said:
It will say "Sleeping" with a ZZZ icon above the search option in the context menu, if they are dead it will say so along with a skull icon above the search option.

Thanks for this. I believe I screwed up and killed someone because I definitely remember seeing the skull icon. Why would they die if I just stun gunned them or took them down non-lethally?

kokujin

Banned
I just met this black woman, I can't remember her name, but she is riddled with racial stereotypes.I am not offended, but it's pretty ridiculous.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Aeana said:
Do you not get any slowdown in the city area? I have a great solid 60 FPS everywhere but some parts of Detroit, where my framerate will go into the 40s. :\
None at all. Solid 60, and I have everything maxed at 1920x1080. I've got like, a second of slow down when I enter a new street once or twice, but that's it.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Wren said:
Do unconscious enemies ever wake up? I'm playing through on normal now and I have never had an instance of a stunned/tranquilized guard regaining consciousness. Currently in Shanghai, and even several hours after completing the first mission if I return to the area I can still find all the enemies asleep in the same places I left them.
Only if someone wakes them up.

Pete Rock

malfcn said:

I know RS brings up the iron. But in cover I can't.
You have to lean out of cover so as to not be in a blind-fire position, then you have to push RS to activate the iron sights/scope if available on the weapon. Agreed it is kind of strange but you get used to it quickly.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
thetrin said:
None at all. Solid 60, and I have everything maxed at 1920x1080. I've got like, a second of slow down when I enter a new street once or twice, but that's it.
You seriously don't get ANY hitching or pausing?! I don't even see how that's possible.

My framerate is always 60 fps, but there are pauses and skips that occur when moving through the environment. It's really quite maddening. It has nothing to do with GPU performance.

I'm running 12GB of DDR3-1666 ram with the game installed on an SSD. There is no reason why it should be hiccuping. It doesn't make sense. I'm also running a very fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit.

What are your specs?

The skipping doesn't occur all the time, but as you move around they do occur randomly and this is really damaging my experience. I'm loving the game, but I'm feeling frustrated by these issues and wish I had just purchased the console version as a result. :\

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Treemonkeys said:
I got through the first boss last night, was surprisingly good after reading some complaints about the bosses.

Had a bit of trouble at first, but after 2 emp grenades and one exploding barrel mixed with shots to the face in between, he went down really fast - even with having a stealth/hacking character with no points to improve combat. Also on "deus ex" difficulty.

Do the bosses get worse from here? Because I actually liked it.
First boss spoilers, kinda:
Yeah, I have a stealth/hacking character, too, but I took him down with relative ease. Two rockets to the face, an EMP grenade, and then two headshots with the pistol. It took me about ten tries till I thought of using an EMP grenade, though. :lol

kokujin said:
I just met this black woman, I can't remember her name, but she is riddled with racial stereotypes.I am not offended, but it's pretty ridiculous.
Yeah, this game relies heavily on racial stereotypes to give characters personality. So far, I haven't found it to be a racist thing, but my feelings may change with more play time / thought.

dark10x said:
You seriously don't get ANY hitching or pausing?! I don't even see how that's possible.

My framerate is always 60 fps, but there are pauses and skips that occur when moving through the environment. It's really quite maddening. It has nothing to do with GPU performance.

I'm running 12GB of DDR3-1666 ram with the game installed on an SSD. There is no reason why it should be hiccuping. It doesn't make sense.

What are your specs?

The skipping doesn't occur all the time, but as you move around they do occur randomly and this is really damaging my experience. I'm loving the game, but I'm feeling frustrated by these issues and wish I had just purchased the console version as a result. :\

Maybe you are just extra sensitive to this stuff (no offense), i havent noticed any stuttering or pauses, this is on a crossfire setup which is more prone to them, well maybe a little slowdown during the first mission in those decontamination rooms.

I also run on a SSD, Vertex 3 6GB/Seg and 2 6950 2GB

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Got my Collector's Edition in the post today. It's a bit annoying that you don't get a proper case for the game that you can put on your shelf.

I just have to finish playing through the first game now (I just got past the Lebedev mission).

dark10x

Chinner said:
i thought people were talking about crashes and stuff?
The loading times are extremely long for no good reason and there is stuttering. Most people seem to be running into it. Those who are not are flat out lucky as it seems to have nothing to do with hardware muscle.

Maybe you are just extra sensitive to this stuff (no offense), i havent noticed any stuttering or pauses, this is on a crossfire setup which is more prone to them, well maybe a little slowdown during the first mission in those decontamination rooms.
I am super sensitive to those issues (can't even use crossfire or SLI due to the stuttering that is inherent in those setups). :-(

SLV

Chinner said:
i thought people were talking about crashes and stuff?

As i havent got any steam updates for the game for various reasons, at times the game does crash for me, seams mostly videocard related but then again im not sure at times... shrug

dark10x said:
The number of options you have available are what make the game great, but man, sneaking through the police station and silently taking out cops was truly fantastic. Takes me right back to late 90s PC games. Absolutely fantastic!

It felt like playing Thief, a big stealth playground with no signposts pointing out which hallway or vent or staircase to take, and you feel your way through while finding all the little secrets on the way. Thief 4 is in good hands.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
dark10x said:
The loading times are extremely long for no good reason and there is stuttering. Most people seem to be running into it. Those who are not are flat out lucky as it seems to have nothing to do with hardware muscle.

I am super sensitive to those issues (can't even use crossfire or SLI due to the stuttering that is inherent in those setups). :-(

Disabling triple buffering, turning ssao off, and leaving v sync on kind of fixes the stuttering issue for me, but performance is still a bit uneven(more likely due to my oldish gpu)

dark10x

revolverjgw said:
It felt like playing Thief 1-2, a big stealth playground with no signposts pointing out which hallway or vent or staircase to take, and you feel your way through while finding all the little secrets on the way. Thief 4 is in good hands.
Absolutely! It's so refreshing to play a game like this that doesn't hold your hand. The fact that you can turn off objective markers and everything makes it even better. It really does feel like an old school PC title. I really hope it succeeds.

If only I could get it running perfectly. :(

Disabling triple buffering, turning ssao off, and leaving v sync on kind of fixes the stuttering issue for me, but performance is still a bit uneven(more likely due to my oldish gpu)
I've tried all of these variables. It's not a graphical performance issue. Framerate is always 60 fps (or 150+ without v-sync) regardless of settings. The stuttering occurs on lowest and highest settings.

x3sphere

thetrin said:

Same here. I get an occassional hitch JUST after loading a new level, but after that it's smooth sailing. I do have SSAO off, so maybe that's a factor.

dark10x said:

To me the only thing getting me out of the game experience is the character's geometry getting cut in half when they appear in the extra screens on a triple screen setup, but im used to that in many games :(

Ferrio

Banned
So turning off Vsync helped my load times.. but fuuuck the tearing! Should time it see how much of an improvement in times I got.

Also at the first boss fight... think I'm fucked. All I got is like a stungun, and a rifle I've never used.

dark10x said:
Absolutely! It's so refreshing to play a game like this that doesn't hold your hand. The fact that you can turn off objective markers and everything makes it even better. It really does feel like an old school PC title. I really hope it succeeds.
I'm primarily a console gamer these days with roots in 90's PC gaming and I have to agree. Even playing on PS3 I totally got that "good ol' PC game" feeling after a few hours or so. Man, I can't wait for a new Thief now.

The Stealth Fox

Ferrio said:
So turning off Vsync helped my load times.. but fuuuck the tearing! Should time it see how much of an improvement in times I got.

Also at the first boss fight... think I'm fucked. All I got is like a stungun, and a rifle I've never used.
You're fine. Just use your tools wisely, but there are always more guns in the area if you don't want to use those.

Top Bottom