• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

iavi

Nobody really knows yet. And even then, all the previews have pointed to the difference being negligible, save for the master race.

Zeth

Wow $53 for the game and OnLive console with all the special extras. I'm seriously thinking about doing this. How would it work with the OnLive controller for a pc game? Or can I use a keyboard and mouse with onlive? This is blowing my mind. Besides minor input lag what reasons are there to NOT jump on this?

sfried

Zeth said:
Wow $53 for the game and OnLive console with all the special extras. I'm seriously thinking about doing this. How would it work with the OnLive controller for a pc game? Or can I use a keyboard and mouse with onlive? This is blowing my mind. Besides minor input lag what reasons are there to NOT jump on this?
Keyboard and mouse work with OnLive by default. Virtually any controller with XInput should work for OnLive. The OnLive Controller, so far, isn't usable yet for PC as far as I can tell, but all it needs are some drivers which the offical statement said will be made available later on. (Windows detects it correctly but will say it couldn't find drivers.)

As far as lag and whatnot, that depends on your connection. If you have FiOS, there's really no reason to pass up the service. I highly suggest you try it first and use the Trial function to see if you are satsfied with the response times. If it doesn't bug you at all, then getting Deus Ex HR on this will spare you 8 Gigs and a need to have a fancy setup.

I know I did the jump already. At least I'll have a piece of genuine history with me if the service ever goes down, then the MicroConsole price will probably cost as much as a 1st run REAL 3DO.

RedSwirl

Damn. I do not want to have to rent this game a week later to decide whether or not I want to buy it. Why the fuck couldn't you just put out a demo Eidos?

I mean it's not like I would even be paying for it. I have a $50 GameStop gift card, but I could just as easily blow it on Gears 3 or the Ico/Colossus Collection.

RedSwirl said:
Damn. I do not want to have to rent this game a week later to decide whether or not I want to buy it. Why the fuck couldn't you just put out a demo Eidos?

I mean it's not like I would even be paying for it. I have a $50 GameStop gift card, but I could just as easily blow it on Gears 3 or the Ico/Colossus Collection.

Deus Ex is a once in a generation game.

As good as Gears 3 will be, no other game can compare to Deus Ex.

RedSwirl

This is why I hope to Christ I can get into the GameFly Unlimited PC Play beta.

Fuck it. I'll be playing 3rd Strike when this comes out anyway.

Derrick01

Banned
RedSwirl said:

They did put a demo out :p

And if you buy Gears 3 instead of this I will cry. That's like the absolute worst thing to do, buy another online dudebro shooter instead of this.

RedSwirl

Is it okay if I ask about Win7 versions of the "demo" versus Vista versions here on GAF? For some reason my Win7 exe boots up on Vista. Is it advised that I run it?

eshwaaz

OXM US review (8.5) says the game has "dismal voiceovers". Those of you who have played the PC leak - agree or disagree?

Truant

eshwaaz said:
OXM US review (8.5) says the game has "dismal voiceovers". Those of you who have played the PC leak - agree or disagree?

Disagree. They're not the best ever, but they fit with the Deus Ex world. I love Jensen's voice.

x-Lundz-x

eshwaaz said:

Granted I have not played the game yet but all you need to do is watch a few of the leaked build videos on YouTube to know that the reviewer is nitpicking with that comment, probably because they couldn't find anything else to knock about the game.

The voice work is top notch..."dismal" according to them? Dismal is something I would attach to the voice work in Deadly Premonition (Which I am currently playing and actually enjoying).

What else did they knock about the game to give it an 8.5?

Nemesis_

Jensen has this almost Christian Bale-as-Batman-esque voice but it's not as obnoxious. It's very gritty sounding and I feel it fits perfectly in the game, almost like Walton Simons from the original game but obviously a lot better.

I didn't mind the voicework at all, especially coming off the original two games.

Wonder how they'll handle
......Tong's
voice in the DLC mission?

randomwab

Nemesis556 said:
Jensen has this almost Christian Bale-as-Batman-esque voice but it's not as obnoxious. It's very gritty sounding and I feel it fits perfectly in the game, almost like Walton Simons from the original game but obviously a lot better.

Jensen reminds me of Gabe from Syphon Filter if he had a cold and couldn't find a throat lozenge. All husky and that. I like it.

Nemesis_

randomwab said:
Jensen reminds me of Gabe from Syphon Filter if he had a cold and couldn't find a throat lozenge. All husky and that. I like it.

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR AN EXPLANATION.

THIS IS THE ONE I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR, FOR SO LONG

<3

charsace

eshwaaz said:
Bullshit score and a bullshit complaint. The voice acting is great.

And the voice actor for Jensen isn't changing the sound of his voice. That's the way he sounds.

randomwab

Nemesis556 said:
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR AN EXPLANATION.

THIS IS THE ONE I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR, FOR SO LONG

<3

I do what I can. :D

It's too late to ask, but I'm guessing the 360 version will be fine, right? I went and ordered the UK Collector's Edition for 360 months ago and never changed it to PC.

Nemesis_

charsace said:
And the voice actor for Jensen isn't changing the sound of his voice. That's the way he sounds.

2re5qnn.jpg

RedSwirl

RedSwirl said:
Is it okay if I ask about Win7 versions of the "demo" versus Vista versions here on GAF? For some reason my Win7 exe boots up on Vista. Is it advised that I run it?

Anyone?

Here's an article from a weekly here in Montreal about the game:

http://www.montrealmirror.com/wp/?p=24496

COVER: The transhuman factor
Eidos Montreal’s Deus Ex: Human Revolution, featuring a technologically enhanced protagonist versus stubbornly all-natural enemies, is philosophically profound and thrilling to play
by ERIK LEIJON
August 18, 2011

POWER TO PROSTHESES: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
The year 2027 may seem an eternity away, but as Eidos Montreal found out in the four years it took them to complete their first game, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, even the most outlandish predictions about the not-too-distant future are already in the process of coming true.
If the hypothetical world presented in Human Revolution is to be believed, in 16 years mankind will find itself at a transhumanist crossroads: we’ll have begun to embrace cybernetic prosthetics called augmentations, spawning a generation of healthy people willing to amputate their perfectly good body parts in order to improve themselves with mechanical appendages. A disturbing prophe­cy that could never happen, right?
“We thought it was far-fetched at first,” says game director Jean-François Dugas. “But early on, when we were brain-storming—trying to define the world of 2027—we wrote a storyline about an Olympic athlete that wouldn’t be allowed to compete because he was augmented and had an unfair advantage. Then a year after we conceptualized it, the Olympic committee was debating whether to let Oscar Pisto­rious run.”
The very real Pistorious, also known as “the fastest man on no legs,” is a South African runner who competes against able-bodied athletes thanks to a pair of flexible prosthetics. Granted, Pistorious didn’t willfully lose his real legs, but Dugas can cite cases such as an Austrian man, known only as “Milo,” who did elect to have his attached-yet-non-functional hand removed in favour of an artificial one. “What shocked me the most in the last four years was, at first I was worried we were pushing it too much, but it’s already happening for medical purposes,” Dugas says. “So how far away are people from doing it in the name of science or art?”
CHOOSE YOUR OWN AUGMENTATION
Mankind’s march towards the singularity is the backdrop for PC, XBox 360 and PlayStation 3 first-person role-playing game Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a prequel to 2000’s seminal Deus Ex. In terms of storyline, Human Revolution predates the original cult classic by 25 years and downgrades the highly advanced nanotechnological augmentations to more barbaric mechanical ones. No one from Eidos Mon­treal was involved in the making of the original, although the studio sensibly retained the series’ landmark strategic first-person gameplay and cyberpunk theme. Specifically, the Eidos Montreal team calls their man-merging-with-machine motif the cyberpunk renaissance, where proponents of augmentations, including shadowy biotechnology corporation Sarif Industries, adopt an extravagant and colourful visu­al style reminiscent of Leonardo da Vinci and his trailblazing peers. Exhibiting a more militant demeanor are the movement’s detractors, many of whom belong to radical organization Purity First, a group that uses disturbing imagery to depict augmented humans as helpless addicts hooked on the drugs that prevent their bodies from rejecting their new limbs.
Human Revolution’s world features a staggering amount of detail—down to near-nanoscopic scales—where everything from the contents of a room to the ruffled sleeves on a character’s shirt hides a deep­er meaning designed to subtly immerse gamers into this chilling alternate reality. This technique of visual storytelling is designed to allow players to explore and make up their own mind on augmentation without feeling like they’re being pushed in a certain direction.
“The point of the game is not to make a statement or be moralistic,” says Dugas. “This game is about being able to explore a world, to show where humanity might be going and what it might mean, and to allow players to make their own decisions as a result.”

RESURRECTING CYBERPUNK: (L to R) Jean-François Dugas, Mary DeMarle, Jonathan-Jacques Belletête
Photo by ANTOINE THISDALE/EIDOS MONTREAL
BLUE-COLLAR HERO
Straddling that line more perilously than anyone is protagonist Adam Jensen. If the game is about players understanding the effect of transhumanism on society, Jensen feels like the one char­acter in Human Revolution who hasn’t made up his mind either.
“He’s a true blue-collar hero,” says lead writer Mary DeMarle. “Adam represents the guy who’s trying to do the best job he can, get paid and live his life in peace.”
Jensen, a security consultant, begins the game as a regular human, but a would-be fatal accident at Sarif headquarters forces him to accept augmented body parts in order to survive. After his difficult recov­ery, Jensen is thrust back into the job, and players are free to tinker with his body as much as they want, giving him everything from super strength to new eyes, new lungs or even a more stable shooting arm. These new augmentations come in handy for his line of work, as he’s often infiltrating bases behind enemy lines where he’s severely outnumbered and unable to succeed simply by running and shooting. The game is broken down into four main gameplay pillars, so players have to consider combat, stealth, hacking and social/ dialogue techniques when trying to achieve their goals. Augmentations neatly fit into each pillar, so it’s possible to give Jensen a highly specialized skill set or upgrade him into a more well-rounded character.
“We wanted to offer Jensen as a blank slate,” says art director Jonathan-Jacques Belletête. “He’s really a vessel for all the game’s main ideas, and it’s up to players to decide how much of a gray area he represents.” One thing players won’t be able to do is create an all-purpose superman, says Dugas, as there’s only enough in-game currency (called Praxis points) to acquire 70 per cent of Jensen’s potential augmentations.
PAINTING THE TOWN FUTURISTIC
Much of Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s storyline unfolds with Jensen exploring the game’s main hubs and interacting with characters around him, so to ensure players remain cognizant of their new sur­roundings, the team strove to make their vision of the future as realistic as possible. The game’s main hubs—which include real world cities like Detroit and Shanghai—are designed to marry current archi­tecture with futuristic buildings dotting familiar landscapes.
“We don’t raze cities in real life,” says Belletête. “It’s not the massive structures that change over time, but the smaller things like light fixtures or parking meters.” In terms of new buildings, Belletête found inspiration in existing constructions, citing London-based architect Zaha Hadid as a good example of how cutting-edge designs already exist. Not ones to exclude their hometown, Montreal makes a brief appearance in the game, as Jensen visits a re-purposed Olympic Stadium that houses media conglomerate Picus Communications.
“Montreal was originally going to be a full hub,” admits Belletête, who says he has an impressive secret stash of discarded Montreal artwork. “I envisioned what the Plateau might look like, because there was going to be a house Jensen would have to infiltrate there. In our early tech demos, the first city we put together was the Plateau, based on the brick duplexes and triplexes with spiral staircases. It was honestly really stunning to see it in a 3D environment because to people who aren’t from here it looked so unique, but if you live here it was quite touching. We even modelled it.”
IN WITH A BANG
In speaking with the team, it’s remarkable to consider how much content was obsessed over and ultimately didn’t make the final package gamers will be able to finally experience on Aug. 23. It’s even harder to imagine working on something for over four years, which is what Eidos Montreal’s team (which totals over 300 people working on multiple projects) did. In that span, U.K.-based parent company Eidos underwent a massive restructuring and was eventually purchased by Japanese publisher Square Enix, known primarily as the creators of Final Fantasy. Yet as tumultuous as things appeared around the brand new studio, the project was never affected, and when it came time to delay the project in late 2010, it was a decision made by the team to make the game as complete as possible.
Eidos Montreal has a short history, but as the studio’s general manager Stephane D’Astous says, it’s a dense one. “What would be considered the most successful first game by a new studio?” he confidently asks. “I don’t know the answer, but I will say we’re creating a very high mark.”
Reflecting the attitude of the team, though, Belletête says the predominant feeling after four years of hard work is relief. “It’s really done, this game needs to get out. We gave it everything we had, and there’s really nothing we could have added to the game.” &#9632;
DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION COMES OUT AUG. 23 FOR THE XBOX 360, PLAYSTATION 3 AND PC
Short URL: http://www.montrealmirror.com/wp/?p=24496

eshwaaz said:

Dismal is a bit strong, but it's no LA Noire in the acting dept. Honestly, you won't mind at all. in the preview build, I did find one specific conversation very hokey, but other than that, i was totally enthralled.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
TimHortons said:
Here's an article from a weekly here in Montreal about the game:

http://www.montrealmirror.com/wp/?p=24496

That's a great article. I think Eidos Montreal has to be one of the great points to show how new companies can start up during bad times (when the recession hit hard on many developers) and how Canada has been great for their tax aproach. I am just hoping with the great success Human Revolution will bring, Thief 4 can be the life saver for bringing back core stealth again.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I'm frankly stunned that anyone is giving this less than 9/10.

(edit - what am I talking about, I haven't even played it... maybe the hype is getting to me, but it just looks so damn good)

eshwaaz

x-Lundz-x said:
Granted I have not played the game yet but all you need to do is watch a few of the leaked build videos on YouTube to know that the reviewer is nitpicking with that comment, probably because they couldn't find anything else to knock about the game.

The voice work is top notch..."dismal" according to them? Dismal is something I would attach to the voice work in Deadly Premonition (Which I am currently playing and actually enjoying).

What else did they knock about the game to give it an 8.5?
I don't have the issue in front of me, but I believe the other main complaint is that the overall story is disappointing, and doesn't really come together in a satisfying way at the end.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The voice acting seems fine to me. Jensen could have been a little more expressive, but it doesn't really bother me.

eshwaaz said:
I don't have the issue in front of me, but I believe the other main complaint is that the overall story is disappointing, and doesn't really come together in a satisfying way at the end.
That's disappointing to hear. Hopefully I end up disagreeing.

Zenith

Banned
Kagari said:
The voice acting seems fine to me. Jensen could have been a little more expressive, but it doesn't really bother me.

Down to personal taste, but the voice actor said he was instructed to hold back on the expression as they don't know what "moral" path the player is taking and so he can't sound particularly outraged or exhuberant over something as it's not clear cut Pargon/Renegade option.

Zenith said:
Down to personal taste, but the voice actor said he was instructed to hold back on the expression as they don't know what "moral" path the player is taking and so he can't sound particularly outraged or exhuberant over something as it's not clear cut Pargon/Renegade option.
Same explenation was used for Alpha Protocol I think? So that Thorton comes of as kind of a dick in every single spoken line.

Durante

Zenith said:
See, that's why real RPGs shouldn't have voice acting for the player character :p

Suzzopher

Anyone playing this on PS3? If so how is the performance?

Wondering if I should purchase it on PS3 as I won't be getting a new PC until late October.

trw

Red Blaster said:
Are people really going on about what scores a game they haven't played should be getting?

well, there is a bit of difference between this and other pre-release reviews since a lot of people have played 5-10h of it (the leak) and can recognise silly stuff like the ones about the voice-acting.

v0mitg0d

v0mitg0d said:
Review copy is here!

http://t.co/HKv9V5k

Now, gaf tell me: what would you like in your review? Please be specific and I'll do my best to cater to the poignant questions/topics.

Also, would love to hear from people who have not played the first game too. There are people out there who've never played any of the previous games and, I'm sure, are interested in this title. Would love to hear what you're interested in seeing.

v0mitg0d

Suzzopher said:
Anyone playing this on PS3? If so how is the performance?

Wondering if I should purchase it on PS3 as I won't be getting a new PC until late October.

I've seen the PS3 version of the game twice over the last 1.5 years and it's always looked great.

Zenith

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Are people really going on about what scores a game they haven't played should be getting?

I've played it, and even if I hadn't you don't need to to listen to the voice acting.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
v0mitg0d said:
Also, would love to hear from people who have not played the first game too. There are people out there who've never played any of the previous games and, I'm sure, are interested in this title. Would love to hear what you're interested in seeing.

I haven't played either of the previous games.

x-Lundz-x

Red Blaster said:

When a "reviewer" uses the term dismal to describe voice acting when it couldn't be further than the truth then yeah I will argue about it.

All you need to do is watch about 10 minutes of the leaked footage on you tube to know that guy is full of shit.

Top Bottom