• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

epmode

zephervack said:
Maybe you are just extra sensitive to this stuff (no offense),
He is.

I have a pretty nice computer these days yet I still notice the stuttering when moving around. I figure it has to do with level streaming.

I'm glad that it doesn't really bother me.

Ferrio

Banned
The Stealth Fox said:
You're fine. Just use your tools wisely, but there are always more guns in the area if you don't want to use those.

I'm on the hardest difficulty too, so I go down in like... 2 hits.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Btw, on
Barrett,
how quickly can I dispose of him with the revolver and 2 EMP grenades?

The game is great so far, but sometimes the cutscenes break and the only option is to end the process in task manager. So I prep before each potential cutscene with a save and now I desperately want a quick-save! Bring back 90s gaming in full, damnit!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The_Darkest_Red said:
Gah... mind tagging that name? I know it's minor but still.
Sorry! Didnt think it was much of a spoiler.

thetrin

Shaundakahl said:
The game is great so far, but sometimes the cutscenes break and the only option is to end the process in task manager. So I prep before each potential cutscene with a save and now I desperately want a quick-save! Bring back 90s gaming in full, damnit!

Have you tried the F5 key? You know, the quick save button in almost every PC game.

Absolutely loving it so far. The first time I shot a fire extinguisher next to two bad guys from corner cover and then sprinted up and executed them while they were still coughing I nearly shouted from excitement. About 14 hours in and incredibly immersed in Shanghai.

So far there are only a few things that have bothered me. When I was in the police station it just seemed odd that the police didn't react when I was stealing stuff out of the drawers and crawling in and out of ducts. I also wish there was a stat system to show me the number of times I have killed/incapacitated/etc. Loading times could use some work as well.

It really is a fantastic game. I really hope this sells well and if they make another game they take player feedback to heart. If they can improve on what they have done here then they would really have a masterpiece.

gqMrQ.jpg

Oh God, Mei. What happened to you.

thetrin

GrandHarrier said:
gqMrQ.jpg

Oh God, Mei. What happened to you.
I definitely had a DRB fall into the floor as he was trying to shoot me. I guess he accepted his fate, because he stopped firing, and slowly sank into the concrete.

TheExodu5

Banned
dark10x said:
You seriously don't get ANY hitching or pausing?! I don't even see how that's possible.

My framerate is always 60 fps, but there are pauses and skips that occur when moving through the environment. It's really quite maddening. It has nothing to do with GPU performance.

I'm running 12GB of DDR3-1666 ram with the game installed on an SSD. There is no reason why it should be hiccuping. It doesn't make sense. I'm also running a very fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit.

What are your specs?

The skipping doesn't occur all the time, but as you move around they do occur randomly and this is really damaging my experience. I'm loving the game, but I'm feeling frustrated by these issues and wish I had just purchased the console version as a result. :\

I'm just setting the game aside in the meantime. I can handle the occasional stutter, but it's incredibly frequent in HR. Running i5 2500K, 8GB DDR3-1333, SSD, GTX 570.

Salaadin said:
What are your guys thoughts on buying PC games on ebay? I see Deus Ex HR on there for 30 bucks and free shipping. Im just worried about piracy and all that jazz. Think its ok?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deus-Ex-Hum...ames_Games&hash=item3cbb5b6370#ht_2753wt_1139

Since it's Steamworks it should be pretty safe.

thetrin

dark10x said:
You seriously don't get ANY hitching or pausing?! I don't even see how that's possible.

My framerate is always 60 fps, but there are pauses and skips that occur when moving through the environment. It's really quite maddening. It has nothing to do with GPU performance.

I'm running 12GB of DDR3-1666 ram with the game installed on an SSD. There is no reason why it should be hiccuping. It doesn't make sense. I'm also running a very fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit.

What are your specs?

The skipping doesn't occur all the time, but as you move around they do occur randomly and this is really damaging my experience. I'm loving the game, but I'm feeling frustrated by these issues and wish I had just purchased the console version as a result. :\

Phenom II x4 840 3.4ghz
8 GB RAM
Radeon HD 6950

I don't know what to tell you man. It's buttery smooth for me. My roommate hasn't had stuttering problems, either.

Ferrio said:
So turning off Vsync helped my load times.. but fuuuck the tearing! Should time it see how much of an improvement in times I got.

Also at the first boss fight... think I'm fucked. All I got is like a stungun, and a rifle I've never used.
Huh? Not sure why V-Sync would help with load times.

Salaadin said:
What are your guys thoughts on buying PC games on ebay? I see Deus Ex HR on there for 30 bucks and free shipping. Im just worried about piracy and all that jazz. Think its ok?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deus-Ex-Hum...ames_Games&hash=item3cbb5b6370#ht_2753wt_1139
I mean... the feedback is there to support a purchase but the seller's location is India so I probably wouldn't do it myself. Did you see the estimated delivery date? September 14th -17th. Then again, it is the Augmented Edition so it might be worth it if you don't mind the wait.

Iron_Scmitar said:
Please help.

I activated the Tactical Enhancement Pack. Where/How do I pick up the cash and the extra guns in-game?
You should automatically receive the items when you start the first main mission. I got a little pop-up screen that thanked me for pre-ordering and showed me what I was getting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Trying to sneak out of
Zhao's office
without triggering hostile/detection and using non-lethal kills would have to be one of the most infuriating and frustrating difficulty spikes I've experienced in a game in recent memory. Christ that was so fucking insanely hard, simply because I didn't have the right augs.

I really wish you could remap controls (360 version).

My kingdom for being able to switch iron sights from right stick to left trigger. I never use their cover system since I hate the jump to third person. So jarring.

=(

epmode

TheNiX said:
Huh? Not sure why V-Sync would help with load times.
It doesn't make sense but it's true. If you have a system that can run this at 100+ frames without vsync, you'll notice a significant difference between both settings.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
thetrin said:
Phenom II x4 840 3.4ghz
8 GB RAM
Radeon HD 6950

I don't know what to tell you man. It's buttery smooth for me. My roommate hasn't had stuttering problems, either.
That's bizarre then. Everyone I've talked to playing this game (6 friends and my younger sister) is having this problem.

I'm running

i7 @ 3.4 GHz
12 GB RAM
Radeon HD 5870 (which generally scores the same or better than a 6950)
128 GB Crucial SSD (along with a 2 TB storage drive)

Another friend of mine is running an i7 2600K @ 4.5 GHz, Radeon 6970, and 8 GB RAM and is seeing the same problem.

thetrin

EatChildren said:
Trying to sneak out of
Zhao's office
without triggering hostile/detection and using non-lethal kills would have to be one of the most infuriating and frustrating difficulty spikes I've experienced in a game in recent memory. Christ that was so fucking insanely hard, simply because I didn't have the right augs.
That's my one gameplay problem. There are some parts of the game that end up being unnecessary difficult because you're missing an aug of some sort. It doesn't help that you get praxis points so slowly that you have to suck it up.

ToyBroker

Banned
I love the first time you go into the Hive and the dude wants 1000 credits...you say no and leave and if you listen carefully, you can hear 2 dudes talking about a secret way in. Game is filled with stuff like that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
thetrin said:
That's my one gameplay problem. There are some parts of the game that end up being unnecessary difficult because you're missing an aug of some sort. It doesn't help that you get praxis points so slowly that you have to suck it up.

Yeah. In the game's defence they are few and far between, and so far I'm finding nearly all encounters very flexible. But that one in particular was mind bogglingly stupid in difficulty. My stealth build just didn't work. Too many guards, too small area, too easy spotted.

thetrin

dark10x said:
That's bizarre then. Everyone I've talked to playing this game (6 friends and my younger sister) is having this problem.

I'm running

i7 @ 3.4 GHz
12 GB RAM

Another friend of mine is running an i7 2600K @ 4.5 GHz, Radeon 6970, and 8 GB RAM and is seeing the same problem.
I've had stuttering in only one spot: leaving the subway station in Detroit leading to the police station. After that, I haven't encountered anything.

It's possible I'm not particularly observant, though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
loganclaws said:
Has Nixxes commented on fixing the load times yet????? Don't feel like playing until this is fixed.
I really don't have confidence that they can even solve the issue. I think the PC problems are inherent in the engine and the way the files are stored. :\

I've had stuttering in only one spot: leaving the subway station in Detroit leading to the police station. After that, I haven't encountered anything.
I see it all the time as walking through areas. Little drops as you move around. It's not like HDD stuttering (ala Half-Life 2 at launch), rather, just bits where the framerate appears to drop for a second or two as you move around (though it's not actually slowdown and FRAPS reports no change).

thetrin

dark10x said:
I really don't have confidence that they can even solve the issue. I think the PC problems are inherent in the engine and the way the files are stored. :\

I see it all the time as walking through areas. Little drops as you move around. It's not like HDD stuttering (ala Half-Life 2 at launch), rather, just bits where the framerate appears to drop for a second or two as you move around (though it's not actually slowdown and FRAPS reports no change).
Hmm, I don't notice anything, but I'm honestly not that affected by framerate changes unless it's major (like dipping 10-15 frames for more half a second).

Again, I might just not notice it.

Proc

This is my favourite single player exerience this year since dead space 2. Im playing on pc and am incredibly immersed.

Fuck! I was going for the non-lethal achievement and now I have to backtrack through the first mission again to find the one guy I did a takedown on in the very beginning just to make sure it didn't kill him when I dragged his body. I had no idea you could kill people by dragging their bodies.

>_>

Carm

There is hitching/stuttering everywhere I've been so far, no way it's my comp causing it, framerate is fine. There was even stuttering in cinematics.

EatChildren said:
Trying to sneak out of
Zhao's office
I've found it to be a good idea to not use your Praxis points as soon as you get them, and to keep some points in the event that you need a new skill or two. At that point in the game I had about 5 points stocked and chose to finish up the cloaking tree and just get out of there. Way too many people in that room to do my usual Batman routine of knocking everyone out one by one.

As for performance issues, no stuttering here whatsoever.

Kweh

Kweh said:
Anybody's el cheapo copy from Gamestop UK shipped yet? I'm expecting a bit of a wait tbh.

Wow. It was sitting on the doorstep when I got home. Impressed and surprised, as I didn't get a despatch email and my order still says PROCESSING on the website.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
thetrin said:
Have you tried the F5 key? You know, the quick save button in almost every PC game.

Wasn't it something like Numpad + in the original Deus Ex? Or is that just something I set it to on my own?

No stuttering on my end, either. Game is working flawlessly. For whatever reason I never seem to have any of the vocal problems with my PC games. Like with New Vegas, Black Ops, now Deus Ex... I just never have issues. *shrug*

mik83kuu

Banned
Zefah said:
Wasn't it something like Numpad + in the original Deus Ex? Or is that just something I set it to on my own?

Don't know about the original, but F5 is the 'de facto' quick save key used in most games that have the feature.

erragal

Carm said:
There is hitching/stuttering everywhere I've been so far, no way it's my comp causing it, framerate is fine. There was even stuttering in cinematics.

Why is there no way it's your PC/configuration causing it? Neither my friend nor I have any stuttering/hitching/framerate drop issues. I'm running on an OC'd 5770 with an X4 and he's on a 5950 and an X6.

EDIT: Is there anyone on an AMD CPU that's had the stuttering issue at all? EDIT2: Question answered below this. Not related to that!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
dark10x said:

I'm running

i7 @ 3.4 GHz
12 GB RAM

You might just be more sensitive to it. For a lot of people (including me, mostly) this sort of thing passes under their radar if it is slight and infrequent.

I've been having hitching/stuttering issues as well. Both on my PC(Phenom II 955, 4g of Ram, GTX 460) as well as my laptop playing on the Normal settings automatically selected for me when I first started the game up.

cackhyena

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Fuck! I was going for the non-lethal achievement and now I have to backtrack through the first mission again to find the one guy I did a takedown on in the very beginning just to make sure it didn't kill him when I dragged his body. I had no idea you could kill people by dragging their bodies.

>_>
Huh?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
mik83kuu said:
Don't know about the original, but F5 is the 'de facto' quick save key used in most games that have the feature.

Oh, indeed.

F5 for Quick Save, F8 or F9 for Quick Load.

I hate it when games have Quick Save and Quick Load on adjacent keys.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
On the likes of them possibly doing a sequel, I think a cool idea would be playing as a younger Tong as a prequel to HR. China is always such a huge part of this universe, but you're always the foreigner there rather than the local. Would be a fun change of pace.

Or just DLC like that

Top Bottom