• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

So I'm playing a stealth build - but I got caught and decided to shoot shit up, why the fuck not.

And it's so refreshing to play a game that even on normal, punishes you for being an idiot.

You take a stealth build character and try to FPS the fuck out the enemies and you soon realize that Adam isn't a bullet sponge like characters are in most FPS games, he also doesn't regenerate health 0.003 seconds later.

Kudos Eidos Montreal, you've created a game with some actual challenge, much appreciated. Glad to finally play a game where I need to use my brain.

Hard mode must be hard as fuck I'd imagine...

sladeums

Iron_Scimitar said:
Please help.

I activated the Tactical Enhancement Pack. Where/How do I pick up the cash and the extra guns in-game?
alphaNoid said:
I need to know this as well please.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you installed the DLC after starting the game you will need to restart a New Game

it is mentioned somewhere in this thread over on Eidos forums
too lazy to dig for a specific post...but it is mentioned several times
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119707

if that's not your case, i dunno

Baha

GrandHarrier said:
gqMrQ.jpg

Oh God, Mei. What happened to you.

F2A5834501A82B3DBDE63EE740AA1D74C121E1D4

At least she has a torso, I fear for David Sarif more.

thetrin said:
That's my one gameplay problem. There are some parts of the game that end up being unnecessary difficult because you're missing an aug of some sort. It doesn't help that you get praxis points so slowly that you have to suck it up.

you leave yourself no option but to go lethal, which i think is a really cool thing to compromise as a video game protagonist.

Ferrio

Banned
How common is cell replacing items? Is there any way to replace it without? Like sleeping at home or something? Just seems silly to buy additional cells if you have to have items to fill them back up. Is it one item = one cell, or does it fill up all cells?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

If a guard becomes "alarmed" does that count against you for the complete the game without setting off an alarm achievement/trophy.

I'm assuming they're two separate things because just having one guard become "Alarmed" doesn't alert everyone else in the area to your presence. Just wanted to make sure so I can scrap my stealth run if I already blew it.

KorrZ

Ferrio said:
How common is cell replacing items? Is there any way to replace it without? Like sleeping at home or something? Just seems silly to buy additional cells if you have to have items to fill them back up. Is it one item = one cell, or does it fill up all cells?

There are different types of items that give you different amounts back. They're fairly common also, I have about 15 energy bars on me, 3 packs and 1 jar.

Minsc

Gold Member
dark10x said:
I really don't have confidence that they can even solve the issue. I think the PC problems are inherent in the engine and the way the files are stored. :\

Such a strange problem. The Witcher 2 uses huge 2-4GB+ files to store its data and has no load times for the most part. Same for a 7zip archive, it could have 100,000s of files, but any file in it can be accessed instantly. Oblivion does this too (and probably Fallout 3), and there's no problems with loading times. It may have something to do with the way this game specifically treats the file containers, but in general, it's a much nicer way to put game data on HDDs imo and I vastly prefer it. A Vamprye Story, on the other hand, uses well over 10,000 individual files and takes forever to delete compared to how fast it'd go if it packed the files in to a few larger files.

Unless the file containers are heavily compressed with algorithms that are very inefficient at decoding, I'd be a bit skeptical that unpacking them would make any difference, though it's something that would be worth exploring if it is possible.

The Witcher 1 was able to cut its load times to like 1/5th or more in the EE, maybe something similar is possible here too.

Ferrio

Banned
KorrZ said:
There are different types of items that give you different amounts back. They're fairly common also, I have about 15 energy bars on me, 3 packs and 1 jar.

Ah I didn't have many cause I had item highlighting off... my items were scarce.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh wonderful, another section of the game that freezes and crashes spontaneously.

Meh. Im done for the night. Not really in the mood to put up with technical bullshit.

thetrin said:
My PC version runs buttery smooth. I get like, a nano second of stuttering when I transition into a new area, but that's about it. I honestly haven't had any issues at all.

Mine does too.. with v-sync off I get some tearing, but it runs well.. usually 50 fps or higher at 2560x1440, maxed settings.

Angst

Zefah said:
Oh, indeed.

F5 for Quick Save, F8 or F9 for Quick Load.

I hate it when games have Quick Save and Quick Load on adjacent keys.
For the lulz, switch the keys on a buddy's system. So that when he tries to quick load whilst falling to his death he actually quick saves >.>

robin2

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I wish Steam would just do simultaneous worldwide unlocks. The two day wait for this has been painful, and there's still another 6.5 hours to go.

A question for PC users - the game is probably much better with keyboard, but is it good with a controller too?
edit: I found out

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Robobandit said:
Mine does too.. with v-sync off I get some tearing, but it runs well.. usually 50 fps or higher at 2560x1440, maxed settings.
V-sync off doesn't produce a "smooth" framerate. It's fast, but definitely not smooth.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ILOVEASIANS said:
Sorry if this has been asked before.

If a guard becomes "alarmed" does that count against you for the complete the game without setting off an alarm achievement/trophy.

I'm assuming they're two separate things because just having one guard become "Alarmed" doesn't alert everyone else in the area to your presence. Just wanted to make sure so I can scrap my stealth run if I already blew it.

Nah, that won't count. They can go hostile too, as long as there's no alarm to set off you're fine.

KorrZ

Ferrio said:
Ah I didn't have many cause I had item highlighting off... my items were scarce.

Yeah I definitely noticed a lot of them are in spots where there's almost no way you'd see them without the highlighting, they're too small.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
This game is tons of fun! I have had some glitches so far but nothing game breaking. For some reason, this game reminds me of Metal Gear Solid in first person. The world looks interesting and its awesome to have a game with multiple ways to solve problems! Can't wait to get home and play some more.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
lowhighkang_LHK said:
You take a stealth build character and try to FPS the fuck out the enemies and you soon realize that Adam isn't a bullet sponge like characters are in most FPS games, he also doesn't regenerate health 0.003 seconds later.
My guy is a badass hacker guy. I have a gatling gun and shit, but I'm still all about exploiting security and making the most out of my environment.

Like, I hacked a turret to target enemies, then carried the thing through the level with me, plopping it down whenever enemies were rounding a corner or something.

Felt SO badass. I don't even bother with stealth anymore. If you had a weapon in the China hub, chances are I murdered you because it was easier for me that way.

And now that I beefed up my armor I'm practically a god. I still can't take too much hurt, but I can lay it down so fast it doesn't matter.

I love how satisfying this game is.

Though it is weird when people keep going into a club with around 10 dead security guards at the entrance. And the bartender gives you a quest after watching you do it.

Ferrio

Banned
I did a take down on a hooker. Then all the other hookers started to curl in fetal position scared shitless. I felt really bad :(

BobsRevenge

Heavy said:
One other question... when you're hacking and fail (let the timer go to zero) does that count as an alarm going off and against the achievement?
Some of them do seem to count as an alarm going off, yeah. I'm not sure if it is all of them though.

Salaadin

Just nabbed this from GMG instead thanks to a fellow gaffer. *high fives wilflare*
Is it a good idea to finish Deus Ex GOTY before this? I just started that on Sunday but had some technical issues with the DX10 renderer stuff that I didnt work out yet.

Gustav

Banned
anyone else experiencing a weird graphical glitch where a horizontal line moves in tandem with the character? It's always a few feet in front of me.

Moobabe said:
How big is the download on Steam?

8,5 GB.

Samus4145

Just started my playthrough last night. Threw a barrel at the cops near the beginning of the game. It did not turn out well... Any one else do that?

BobsRevenge said:
Some of them do seem to count as an alarm going off, yeah. I'm not sure if it is all of them though.
Wow that fkng blows. I had a couple go off in that room at the end of the first mission with like 10 computers and a bunch of guards (knocked them out). Nothing happened... no siren alarm sound or anything but it probably counted.

zoner said:
On the likes of them possibly doing a sequel, I think a cool idea would be playing as a younger Tong as a prequel to HR. China is always such a huge part of this universe, but you're always the foreigner there rather than the local. Would be a fun change of pace.

You have no idea how many ppl would refuse to play a game if it's set somewhere exotic. I'm pretty sure part of the reason why Activision cancelled True Crimes HK has to do with setting of the game.

I would love to have more locations in China/Japan/Asian countries, but the truth is games with familiar/US-centered locations probably sell better.

Ferrio

Banned
Samus4145 said:
Just started my playthrough last night. Threw a barrel at the cops near the beginning of the game. It did not turn out well... Any one else do that?

I picked up a trash can and just kinda barley pushed it, cops got pissed off I was moving it and started attacking.

BobsRevenge

Heavy said:
Wow that fkng blows. I had a couple go off in that room at the end of the first mission with like 10 computers and a bunch of guards (knocked them out). Nothing happened... no siren alarm sound or anything but it probably counted.
I definitely could be wrong. I don't know the specifics of the achievements. I haven't looked them up yet.

Carm

erragal said:
Why is there no way it's your PC/configuration causing it? Neither my friend nor I have any stuttering/hitching/framerate drop issues. I'm running on an OC'd 5770 with an X4 and he's on a 5950 and an X6.

EDIT: Is there anyone on an AMD CPU that's had the stuttering issue at all? EDIT2: Question answered below this. Not related to that!

Because no other game, particularly ones that stress my system far more than this console port does, do not have these issues. I'm using a Nvidia gpu, though so who knows.

fake edit: Actually, the only other pc game I own that has ever shown these stuttering issues was Mafia 2, but I was using a dual core cpu and a different gpu at the time.

Edit: Plus, the fact that numerous people are having this problem, across the forums I read.

I did figure out one of my issues though, and it's either badly implemented or Nvidia needs to update their drivers. I had vertical faint black lines showing up everywhere like in this picture. Come to find out, its SSAO on normal, happens on high, but not nearly as noticeable. Cleared up another issue with no AA, chalk it up to me being stupid and the game I think defaulting to MLAA, or me just setting it.

iavi

The interrogation system in this is the best I've ever dealt with. Just made it past the preview code area. Now the real game begins. :D

It really is, and the best thing is; if you fail, it seems as if brute force can fix that right up in a lot of cases. The side mission that deals with the data chip and Tindall, for example
I slipped up during the conversation and he didn't give me the chip. No prob. I just knocked his ass out and took it.
Little stuff like that is really making the game for me.

ctrayne

EatChildren said:
Trying to sneak out of
Zhao's office
without triggering hostile/detection and using non-lethal kills would have to be one of the most infuriating and frustrating difficulty spikes I've experienced in a game in recent memory. Christ that was so fucking insanely hard, simply because I didn't have the right augs.
I was able to stealth out of there very easily -
facing the exit, there is a vent system on the right hand side that will spit you out behind a sofa. You can make it from there to the elevator pretty easily.

ToyBroker

Banned
How the hell do you wake people up? I was sneaking around and peaked around a corner and tranq darted some dude...who now I think is a merchant....and now he won't wake up.

I've tried dragging him into the street, shooting every where, and no one comes and wakes him up. He's the dude in the Hung Hua hotel--if someone could tell me if this dude is important I'll keep working on it but if not I'll move on.

Drakken said:
Awesome! Crazy that the story events can change in a major way just based on passage of time.
Eh, I'm not a huge fan of time limits. Honestly, one of the worst things (and admitted to by it's devs) with Fallout 1. Granted if it's a limited section, it's communicated, and I don't miss anything cool (like docs, items, etc) or I can go back if items can be taken, I guess I don't mind. Uncommunicated ones that can effect something occurring 30 minutes or more in the game, not a fan of. Mostly because I have no clue if it's going to happen again and then I make myself nuts about the time limit. You should see me trying to play The Last Express lol (granted it has a decent game system).

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So many pages and I still have to wait 4 hours. Damn you, Steam, and your political correctness!

Did any Neogaf references pop up in the last few
hundred
pages of this thread?

Ferrio said:
I did a take down on a hooker. Then all the other hookers started to curl in fetal position scared shitless. I felt really bad :(

I was fighting some
D-Row Gangsters
in Detroit, and a wayward shot from my pistol accidentally took down a punk standing about 20-30 metres away. His friends retaliated before I had time to explain what happened.

I hit a point in a side mission wherein I just didn't have the skills to finish it. It was refreshing to have some kind of measurable cause and effect attached to your upgrade decisions. Too many games these days would have had a workaround built into the mission.

ACESmkII

I absolutely love this game!!!

It's fantastic playing a game this generation that provides a solid challenge and does not hold your hand in doing so.

The art design is phenomenal as well.

Potential GOTY.

Top Bottom