• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Jtrizzy

this game is great, but it now crashes my new PC every 5 or 10 minutes. Other games are working fine. I have a brand new 2600k and 580, and this game doesn't really seem like it should be pushing either of those.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Van Buren

It's frustrating to see a game that does so many things right stumble unnecessarily. Playing a stealthy pacifist, I'm not a fan of watching the prudent Jensen in my playthrough being reduced into a bumbling incompetent who stumbles into traps and boss fights when control is taken away from me via scripted and badly-encoded cutscenes.

Speaking of boss fights, there really ought to have been a different consequence if a player chose to go the non-lethal route.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DennisK4 said:
Deus Ex mode - what does it do?

Besides turning off the highlighting, I mean

I'm playing on Normal, but the first thing I did was turn off the highlighting and mission objective pointers.

Fuck that noise.

charsace

Zeliard said:
Closest thing is the tilde key to toggle the 0-9 menu, but yeah.

Personally I sort of wish there was a way to toggle the radar off. :p After all, in the first game you were sneaking by enemies using lean in first-person, with no radar. This time around the detached third-person cover generally gives you a significantly wider view of the environment and the routes enemies take. Ultimately you're watching the radar more than you are watching the enemies themselves, which makes perfect sense in the setting, but is perhaps a bit less interesting gameplay-wise.
I like the radar. It allows you to plan better and make your way through the rooms quicker. Radar makes it easier to plot out a kill line so that you can just go crazy. My Jensen could be a MGS boss. Just call him The Motherfucker because he tears shit up.

Wanace

Anyone experiencing input lag?

I'm playing on a 2010 Macbook Pro, framerate doesn't seem bad or anything but when I move the mouse there is a perceptible delay in my movement on the screen. I turned up sensitivity which helped a little but it's still there.

I have V-Sync off so that isn't it.

Have to go to work now but looking forward to putting time into this later.

masterkajo

Is it normal that everytime I want to launch the game I get asked if I want to "Play Deus Ex" or "Setup Deus Ex". Kind of annyoing. I get that I am prompted the first time but every time?

DaBuddaDa

Cryptozoologist said:
Anyone experiencing input lag?

I'm playing on a 2010 Macbook Pro, framerate doesn't seem bad or anything but when I move the mouse there is a perceptible delay in my movement on the screen. I turned up sensitivity which helped a little but it's still there.

I have V-Sync off so that isn't it.

Have to go to work now but looking forward to putting time into this later.
Turning off SSAO also has been reported to work for some people.

masterkajo said:
Is it normal that everytime I want to launch the game I get asked if I want to "Play Deus Ex" or "Setup Deus Ex". Kind of annyoing. I get that I am prompted the first time but every time?
Happened once for me

Dakota47

I've just played through the intro section. The game runs just fine, except for a freeze after the starting titles. Apparently that patch fixed the long loading times, because I didn't have any problems with them. I can't say much about the sneaking yet. I thought you had to gun down everyone in the prologue, with all the alarm bells ringing and all. Oh well, I actually enjoyed the gunplay in combination with the cover mechanics. Can't wait to really dive into this game tomorrow and the rest of the weekend.

JambiBum

I'm so angry/upset/annoyed. I played through the entire game not killing anyone. Endgame spoilers coming!
Except at the very end when I killed that lady without realizing it.
. So when I didn't get the pacifist achievement I racked my brain trying to figure out why. Eventually I realized what I did and decided to reload a save. Except the save I reloaded was a few hours play time back. I went all the way back to the end and this time used my stun gun instead of a weapon. Figured I would get the achievement this time. Nope. Don't know who I killed. I'm sad. :(

Salsa

oh wow, so there's no way to attach a silencer to a sniper rifle besides the pre-order bouns? what a load of crap.

Now i know im gonna play non-lethal even when i screwed up the pacifist run, i mean what's the point of playing stealth if sniping from afar produces the loudest noise ever. Tranq gun it is. Bullshit :/

Zeliard

charsace said:
I like the radar. It allows you to plan better and make your way through the rooms quicker. Radar makes it easier to plot out a kill line so that you can just go crazy. My Jensen could be a MGS boss. Just call him The Motherfucker because he tears shit up.

The radar's fine, though I probably won't get any upgrades for it. I just really loved how the first was based so much on your own reading of the physical environment around you. Made it feel that much more immersive.

Van Buren said:
It's frustrating to see a game that does so many things right stumble unnecessarily. Playing a stealthy pacifist, I'm not a fan of watching the prudent Jensen in my playthrough being reduced into a bumbling incompetent who stumbles into traps and boss fights when control is taken away from me via scripted and badly-encoded cutscenes.

Speaking of boss fights, there really ought to have been a different consequence if a player chose to go the non-lethal route.

Yeah the boss fights are one of the major stumbling blocks in this game. Seems like a very strange design decision to force you to fight them when the rest of the game prides itself on letting you progress how you want.

SalsaShark said:
oh wow, so there's no way to attach a silencer to a sniper rifle besides the pre-order bouns? what a load of crap.

whaaaaaat

Dennis

Banned
SalsaShark said:

Now i know im gonna play non-lethal even when i screwed up the pacifist run, i mean what's the point of playing stealth if sniping from afar produces the loudest noise ever. Tranq gun it is. Bullshit :/
What....the.....fuck

Can others confirm?

Using silenced sniper rifles was one of my planned tactics.

Zeliard

DennisK4 said:
What....the.....fuck

Can others confirm?

Using silenced sniper rifles was one of my planned tactics.

Yeah seems the case. When I picked up the silencer add-on in my game it only allowed me to put it on my 10mm, but not the sniper rifle. :/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeliard said:
Yeah seems the case. When I picked up the silencer add-on in my game it only allowed me to put it on my 10mm, but not the sniper rifle. :/

That is disgusting. It would be bad enough if the option wasn't available to begin with, but a preorder bonus? For shame.

SalsaShark said:

A sniper rifle is pretty loud. A silencer is pretty loud too.

Dennis

Banned
This is so fucking dumb. And its just going to encourage people to pirate games when buying it legit makes you miss out on stuff like this.

When pre-order bonus - particularly retailer-specific - items are shit, like outfits, I don't really care but this directly affects gameplay.

Zeliard

AlimNassor said:
A sniper rifle is pretty loud. A silencer is pretty loud too.

Silenced sniper rifle was one of Deus Ex' ultimate stealth weapons. It's a shame they'd relegate it to a pre-order bonus.

Blizzard

Banned
DennisK4 said:
This is so fucking dumb. And its just going to encourage people to pirate games when buying it legit makes you miss out on stuff like this.

When pre-order bonus - particularly retailer-specific - items are shit, like outfits, I don't really care but this directly affects gameplay.
I don't like preorder items that affect gameplay especially when I would have to preorder 4 places to get them all, or when I miss a mission because I don't choose one place.

Anyway, there's a lot of good stuff about the game. I mean, everything might have been perfect if you'd ordered from Wal-mart, but you take what you can get man. :D

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
AlimNassor said:
it's not that far. Snipers aren't magically silent.

Neither are assault rifles but I've silenced mine in game no problem.

You know it's cool to like a game yet criticize obviously stupid design decisions right? You know that? Or do you actually think that only being able to silence a pre-order a weapon is a good choice?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
AlimNassor said:
it's not that far. Snipers aren't magically silent.

I think it's safe to say that most of us aren't concerned with plausibility. But that's not important, silencers CAN be used with sniper rifles in this game, but it's locked away as a preorder bonus.

Sinatar said:
Neither are assault rifles but I've silenced mine in game no problem.

You know it's cool to like a game yet criticize obviously stupid design decisions right? You know that? Or do you actually think that only being able to silence a pre-order a weapon is a good choice?

I don't get it. Are you suggesting I'm defending it? All because i said "snipers aren't silent" lol.

Zeliard

Think I'm gonna have to get rid of my sniper rifle now. It's a lot less fun to use if it isn't silenced and it takes up a chunk of inventory space.

Now I regret giving Jenny Alexander that
crossbow
. :p

ctrayne

^ Guyz. I am pretty sure there is a silenced sniper rifle a bit through the game without the pre-order pack. Pre-silenced, has a camo pattern I think. Slightly hidden.
It's in the early phases of Tai Yong Medical.

The second hub
China

Let me just say, original language, that is really awesome. I also decided to turn off the mission markers. It just seems a great place to explore and with the loading fix, trying different things isn't as big a deal anymore.

Max

I am not Max
Tried my darndest to no trip any alarms and not kill anyone. No achievements for them but I can't recall ever actually having an alarm go off (without reloading a save) :(

I guess dropping that guy off the building was a death by my hand, haha

Does anyone know why I can't buy it from Steam? There's no option to add it to cart...

edit:
Steam forums said:
We're aware of an issue where users are unable to purchase Deus Ex: Human Revolution. This should be resolved shortly. We appreciate your patience.

I think they might be overestimating my patience.

double edit:
Scratch that, it's back up.

Mrbob

No wonder I couldn't put a silencer on my sniper. So lame. For shame, Square Enix.

Jtrizzy said:
this game is great, but it now crashes my new PC every 5 or 10 minutes. Other games are working fine. I have a brand new 2600k and 580, and this game doesn't really seem like it should be pushing either of those.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm hoping the patch fixes things. I'm having crashes on PC as well. I've had 6 of them in the 6 hours I've played the game. Running with a GTX 470, could be some nvidia issue but two of my friends on steam are using Nvidia cards with no issue. I don't have the most current drivers, however, and will get them later tonight.

Erudite

5ShIj.jpg

Anybody know how to fix this graphical issue that's appearing on every face model in the game? It doesn't look too bad in stills, but it's super distracting during conversation scenes.

Tried installing to the latest (beta) drivers to no avail (running a 460 GTX)

wutwutwut

Yes, this game is very good. I'm in
Montreal basement section
right now and having a great time. Zero crashes too. Probably the third best game I've played this year, behind Portal 2 and Bastion.

I've found three or four praxis kits just lying around in somewhat hidden places. I also have like 6 unspent points right now.

the load patch was a godsend. game went from 10/10 to 11/11

Anyone else find cloak aug to be a waste. it burns through your energy bar before you even have time to be stealthy?

Max said:
Tried restarting steam? Making sure you're logged in?

Well I asked both of my friends who are logged in and playing it now to gift it to me, but they have no option to add it to cart either. Tried relogging, and nothing.

Mrbob

fuzzyreactor said:
the load patch was a godsend. game went from 10/10 to 11/11

Anyone else find cloak aug to be a waste. it burns through your energy bar before you even have time to be stealthy?

You'll probably want to go all in on this augmentation and max it out for full potential.

ctrayne said:
^ Guyz. I am pretty sure there is a silenced sniper rifle a bit through the game without the pre-order pack. Pre-silenced, has a camo pattern I think. Slightly hidden.
It's in the early phases of Tai Yong Medical.

Yeah, I remember seeing one in the game somewhere. I didn't take it cause I already had the pre-order one, but I'm 90% sure there is a silenced sniper rifle out in the wild somehwere.

Salsa

Traced-Velocity said:
http://i.imgur.com/5ShIj.jpg/[/ ]
Anybody know how to fix this graphical issue that's appearing on every face model in the game? It doesn't look too bad in stills, but it's super distracting during conversation scenes.

Tried installing to the latest (beta) drivers to no avail (running a 460 GTX)[/QUOTE]

changing from MSLAA to FXAA high helps, but i can still see it on black characters because the game is racist

Top Bottom