• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Castor Krieg said:
Any impressions of playing without highlighting objects?
i played till about 2 mission in china without highlights and i think it is a lot of fun but i know i missed a crap ton of stuff because im going back now through some parts in china and finding a lot of thing i didnt at first. I cant see cracked walls for a crap without it

Zeliard said:
When do our European friends get to play this?
In around 15 minutes. Or 1hr 15 minutes depending on the Steam unlock. However my Augmented Edition (£24.97 Amazon) is coming in the post so nothing for me until Friday evening when I get back from work.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
DennisK4 said:
Which reminds me: is there an option to turn off HUD?

Doesn't appear to be. Thankfully, the HUD isn't nearly as bad as most multiplatform games. It's small, refined, and it hugs the borders of the screen. Plus, you can turn off the hotkey bar, which is the largest part of the hud. Still, the option to disable the entire HUD should be in every PC game.

L00P

Heavy said:
Guys I'm thisssss close to abandoning my non-lethal , never detected approach. Why? Because the weapons and augs look like they'd be so fun to use. I'm picking up all these weapons (sniper rifle, shotgun, SMG) as well as attachments like a silencer and laser sight... yet all they're good for is selling to the vendor for credits. While the non-lethal approach is very rewarding, I feel like I'm missing out on half the game. This isn't even counting the augments which are geared towards lethal play (break through walls, Typhoon, etc.).

But then I'm thinking... why not just go non-lethal the entire way through the first time then on the second playthrough go lethal as well as stealth whenever you feel like it.

BUT THEN I'm thinking... "don't I want the first playthrough to be 100% as good as it possibly can to try to take in as much of the game as I can?"... because that would mean mixing it up with both stealth and guns.

Not sure what to do at the moment...gonna take a break. Right now I'm just doing side quests in Detroit. Haven't even done the police station mission yet.

Reading Shagg and Zeliard's posts just make me wanna try lethal stuff too because it sounds like they're having so much fun.
dude just play with what you think is fun. Full-stealth with no fatalities is kinda frustrating imo, so I go stealth and then take out people in my way with my silenced pistol, Sam Fisher style

Zeliard

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I have reticle disabled and object highlight disabled. I found them both distracting. I wish I could disable the entire HUD. :/

You can toggle the 0-9 hotkey bar on and off with the tilde key on PC. You can still use it when it's not visible as well.

MisterAnderson said:
I hate how weapon upgrades take up inventory space...it forces me to use it almost right away instead of save it for a later weapon. Is the 10MM pistol good even later on or should I try to save the ammo capacity upgrade I just found for something else?

I've been upgrading my basic 10mm since the start, a classic Deus Ex strategy. :p

It certainly gets good after you upgrade it. Right now mine has armor-piercing, a laser sight, and a silencer, along with a couple of other upgrades to its base stats. I plan on upgrading it for the rest of the game, along with my sniper rifle (which I need to find another silencer for). Best part is that ammo for the 10mm is plentiful.

Snuggler said:
Doesn't appear to be. Thankfully, the HUD isn't nearly as bad as most multiplatform games. It's small, refined, and it hugs the borders of the screen. Still, the option to disable HUD should be in every PC game.

You can get rid of the mini-inventory at the bottom by pressing (on my keyboard, ± / §, which is to say whatever's to the left of 1 and above Tab on most other keyboards)

Anilusion

Slackbladder said:
In around 15 minutes. Or 1hr 15 minutes depending on the Steam unlock. However my Augmented Edition (£24.97 Amazon) is coming in the post so nothing for me until Friday evening when I get back from work.

Holy shit, £25? I cannot even find the augmented edition on amazon, and the standard edition is £27. I wish I could order my augmented edition now but its not even listed :( maybe its sold out?

charsace

I'm looking to get explosive rounds for my revolver. Where to cop?

DennisK4 said:
Deus Ex mode - what does it do?

Besides turning off the highlighting, I mean
Enemy AI gets better? I notice that the AI is more accurate, uses cover more and will sometimes try to box you in.

Dennis

Banned
Snuggler said:
Doesn't appear to be. Thankfully, the HUD isn't nearly as bad as most multiplatform games. It's small, refined, and it hugs the borders of the screen. Plus, you can turn off the hotkey bar, which is the largest part of the hud. Still, the option to disable the entire HUD should be in every PC game.
thanks for the reply

I started out non-lethal but I actually quite enjoy the cover shooting so I'm about 50/50 now. I try to take out as many guards with non-lethal CQC first but if it all goes to shit I get behind a crate and start busting caps. Definitely going to try 100% non-lethal for my next run.

Also, I just solved a puzzle by leap-frogging crates. Deus Ex, baby.

Wallach

DennisK4 said:
Deus Ex mode - what does it do?

Besides turning off the highlighting, I mean

Turns off aiming reticule, various tweaks to health/regen and enemy stats (not that much between normal/hard, bigger between easy/normal).

Deadbeat

Banned
Linkzg said:
I...I have a serious problem

http://i.imgur.com/cRLTR.jpg

srKRv.jpg

/smug

Dennis

Banned
Wallach said:
Turns off aiming reticule, various tweaks to health/regen and enemy stats (not that much between normal/hard, bigger between easy/normal).
OK, so Deus Ex mode is in addition to the Difficulty setting?

Zeliard

Wallach said:

Just to note, the stuff like object highlighting, locators, reticule, etc can still be turned back on in Give Me Deus Ex difficulty if you want to. I left it all off. Game feels nicer that way.

The objective locator in particular is a bit silly since you already get one on both your radar and your map.

Wallach

DennisK4 said:
OK, so Deus Ex mode is in addition to the Difficulty setting?

No, that is the difficulty setting. They all have dumb names like "Give me a good story" or something (which is easy) or "Give me Deus Ex" (which is hard). You can still toggle that stuff from the options menu regardless of which difficulty you pick anyway, it just changes the defaults and the stats I mentioned (which are enforced).

Torraz

I've got a question about one of the first side quests.
The one where you are asked to infiltrate the appartment for your drug dealing buddy. When the appartment owner enters the appartment he is always "alarmed". Any way around this?

thanks

Dennis

Banned
So am I right in assuming that everyone, not being pussies, are of course playing "Give me Deus Ex" with all the crap turned off?

Sounds like a return to the gaming of yore. Excite!

KorrZ

DennisK4 said:
So am I right in assuming that everyone, not being pussies, are of course playing "Give me Deus Ex" with all the crap turned off?

Give me a Challenge and all the default settings are on. Doesn't bother me like it does some people.

Deadbeat

Banned
I wish this game was longer I just want more. I need more Deus Ex.

Maybe a Minerva's Den like standalone expansion with our endgame characters.

Anilusion

Deadbeat said:
I wish this game was longer I just want more. I need more Deus Ex.

Maybe a Minerva's Den like standalone expansion with our endgame characters.

How long did it take for you to beat? What difficulty? What playstyle? You can spoiler the answers if it bothers anyone.

MMaRsu

bought it and it's so amazing!!!!!!!! I just got to the first hub :). Just got a quest from a female ex-cop friend I seemingly used to work with..

Bought it for Ps3 in europe btw :)

Zeliard

They really gun you down quickly on hard mode as well, especially if you don't have augs that reduce damage. Health regen barely even factors in, especially since it recharges slowly. I think this is the way to do health regen if you're going to do it. Make the enemies super damaging but if you manage to get away cleanly, you can wait and get your health back. Since they'll come to your location when hostile, you can't just sit there in one spot, so it also avoids the boring stop-and-pop routine that plagues so many games with regen health and a cover system.

UK-er here who has just put Steam back into online mode and downloaded the patch. Let it be known that my offline clock was at 25 hours, but now that I've gone online it's reset. I just want an accurate measurement of how much time this game has eaten up!

EDIT: Load times are much improved.

DennisK4 said:

Damned straight. I turned the object highlight on for a couple of minutes for giggles and it left me muttering to myself in the dark about "stupid modern gamers" wanting everything to be "a prettier version of Simon Says".

A loading speed patch? Oh man I hope this works.

A frequent issue for AMD/ATI hardware users that can cause the game to crash on startup.
Improvements to loading speed. The speed increase depends on machine spec and settings, but loading time improvements of over 50% have been measured on some machines.

Some control fixes:
Diagonal movement is no longer faster as intended.
Adjustments have been made to mouse sensitivity in response to user feedback.
Mouse sensitivity for X and Y axis can still be configured separately, but is now consistent when set to default settings.
The range of settings for mouse sensitivity has been adjusted to provide for more accurate adjusting.
The default mouse sensitivity has been altered to be somewhat less sensitive.

Torraz said:
I've got a question about one of the first side quests.
The one where you are asked to infiltrate the appartment for your drug dealing buddy. When the appartment owner enters the appartment he is always "alarmed". Any way around this?

thanks

That's not the owner.

Deadbeat

Banned
Anilusion said:
How long did it take for you to beat? What difficulty? What playstyle? You can spoiler the answers if it bothers anyone.
Give me Deus Ex. 21 hours. Judging by achievements I missed 2 to 3 side quests. I killed most people. Used the pistol mostly. Stungun and heavy rifle second.

Incase anyone doesnt know, the stungun works on robots and cameras as well.

edit: I dont know if it works on the big gorilla robot. I wasnt stupid enough to try that.

Dennis

Banned
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
The 26th is here in the UK, and my retail copy should arrive tomorrow morning for me to play this afternoon. I'm a happy bunny.
Lets hope your delivery isn't late. That would be a shame.

Darklord

Banned
Watching the Quick Look on GB. Damn, that black woman they were talking to near the end came reeeally close to racist. Why would they add a character like that in?

Zeliard

x3sphere said:
Kinda wish there was a toggle for hiding the HUD, like in TW2. More games need that.

Closest thing is the tilde key to toggle the 0-9 menu, but yeah.

Personally I sort of wish there was a way to toggle the radar off. :p After all, in the first game you were sneaking by enemies using lean in first-person, with no radar. This time around the detached third-person cover generally gives you a significantly wider view of the environment and the routes enemies take. Ultimately you're watching the radar more than you are watching the enemies themselves, which makes perfect sense in the setting, but is perhaps a bit less interesting gameplay-wise.

ctrayne

I am already at 24 hours and just barely hit
Montreal
. Some people must be blazing through this, or I am really soaking it up. Either way, brilliant game.

Lakitu

st5fu
Didn't get my copy today.

Looks like it is tomorrow after all. Damn this is going to kick start an amazing end to the year.

One thing that I can't figure out; how does energy recharging work? I've put some Praxis points into energy but I only ever recharge a single bar. Can you only charge the other bars with consumables?

Deadbeat

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
One thing that I can't figure out; how does energy recharging work? I've put some Praxis points into energy but I only ever recharge a single bar. Can you only charge the other bars with consumables?
Only the first bar recharges from empty. Everything else must be replenished by consumables. But if any bar is halfway empty it will always charge to full. So 1.5 bars will become 2. But 2 bars will never become 3 without food.

Top Bottom