• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

revolverjgw said:
30 hours at that part? Jesus Christ Denton, how?

I'm close to 30 hours and right after that part.

I'm literally taking out every guard, looking for every entrance point (some of multi-path solutions are amazing), and letting it all sink in nice and slow.

SalsaShark said:
i just remembered portal 2 came out this year

uhm, its a tough one
As much as Portal 2 was fun, it started giving me a headache in the end and became a chore. The last few hours, I rushed to finish it.

Deus Ex, however... "You'll get sucked" is an understatement.

The beauty of Steam: Installing it on my brother's PC so he can try it out on his new card. I'm excited!

EmCeeGramr said:
I got really fucking lucky with that. They got stuck on a corner and kept running forward, trapped in place.

I just don't understand why they thought these bosses were necessary.

They love MGS so much they thought they'd copy their boss fights too.

Linkzg said:
I'm close to 30 hours and right after that part.

I'm literally taking out every guard, looking for every entrance point (some of multi-path solutions are amazing), and letting it all sink in nice and slow.
yep, same here i usually scout every area for awhile and read all emails and pds notes

Qwomo

I'm really pissed that the second boss fight made me fire a bullet for the first time.

Atrocious.
shagg_187 said:
I really don't get the hate towards Boss Fights. Whats so wrong about them? I found them fucking amazing, to be honest.
haha

shagg_187 said:
I really don't get the hate towards Boss Fights. Whats so wrong about them? I found them fucking amazing, to be honest.

Did you play the first Deus Ex? One of the hallmarks of that game was how you could effectively bypass boss fights through creative means.

shagg_187 said:
think it just pisses people off that they dont have a choice to kill them like everything else in the game. i find them to be pretty epic myself

Qwomo

shagg_187 said:
Wait... are you guys pissed cause the boss made you shoot?

Wat...
Yes. The boss fights are lazy and completely contrary to everything the game aspires to stand for.

Jintor

I just got my first crash. Goddamnit, stable through the entirity of the preview code and now you start crashing at retail? Let's not make this a habit, DX.

fuzzyreactor said:
think it just pisses people off that they dont have a choice to kill them like everything else in the game. i find them to be pretty epic myself

Yeah... I get it where they are coming from, but the story needs to progress. The bosses are meant to die or survive depending on the scenario, really. They even provide you with the weapons that you need to kill them with so if you are going commando and only carrying a silencer, you can pick those other weapons and go on a rampage without missing a beat.

Oh Deus Ex you so crazy. I get all kinds of deaths from that static thing that happens with the biochip and then I fix it at the LIMB clinic and then all the scientists talk about how it was bad and now this boss battle is 10 times harder.

I can't tell if I love that they did this or hate it.

Also playing through this has really got me curious about Invisible War. I kinda want to pick it up but is it really as bad as it's made out to be? I might get it now but if it is that bad I might just wait until a Steam sale for it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
shagg_187 said:
Yeah... I get it where they are coming from, but the story needs to progress. The bosses are meant to die or survive depending on the scenario, really. They even provide you with the weapons that you need to kill them with so if you are going commando and only carrying a silencer, you can pick those other weapons and go on a rampage without missing a beat.

Yes, but the whole idea behind an RPG is that you pick a role, a style of play, and the game allows you to play it.

Human Revolution succeeds in letting you play the minimalist, silent non-lethal spy...until you run into a boss, and then it becomes First Person Shooter No.4056. There's no flexibility of play, and the battles benefit from only a very specific selection of augs.

They're the point where the game stops letting you play how you want to play, and tells you how to play.

Carm

So, after the patch loading times are where they should have been in the first place. With that said, I'm seeing more stuttering now after the patch, and noticing textures popping in, right after loading into the game and walking around.

I'm curious what they did to reduce the static screen loading, maybe shifted more of the loading to in game? I noticed turning in a circle after loading in, tons of stutter then it was mostly gone, that didn't happen as much prior to the patch.

Noticing stuttering no matter what walking around outside Sarifs building, and thats with dof,ssao, only edge aa and dx11 off and tried dx11 on, no difference. The game really shouldn't be stuttering for how it looks.

Beelzeboss said:
Oh Deus Ex you so crazy. I get all kinds of deaths from that static thing that happens with the biochip and then I fix it at the LIMB clinic and then all the scientists talk about how it was bad and now this boss battle is 10 times harder.

Yeah, when that happened, I said "Fuck this game!" but then I began to realize how manipulative it is and I fell in love with it. That battle was just Godly! You'll appreciate it more when you get through it! :D

I think the game looks better with normal shadows to me.

I'm running the game absolutely maxxed with normal shadows because the soft shadows look all shitty and fluffy, and while the game isn't necessarily the most technically advance piece of work ever released, it is absolutely beautiful to look at.

I've found that the engine seems to chunk / slow down in the weirdest of areas. Like the vents and plain corridors. It's like these parts weren't graphically intensive so the developers didn't program them efficiently or something...

But alas, even without more polygons than any other game it's the absolute beauty and crispness of the smooth surfaces ad textures that I love.

I'm about to post eight 2560x1440 screens fellas so beware of the awesome.

Behold:

fuzzyreactor said:
yep, same here i usually scout every area for awhile and read all emails and pds notes

yeah, I'm reading everything

some nonessential stuff you read is great. One example is going into the hotel room, seeing blood splatterd on the wall, checking the computer and see an email from the tennant complaining about the armed security troops moving around the place.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Somehow I haven't faced any bosses yet, I guess I'm moving at a snails pace, but the complaints seem very reminiscent of a similar game that came out a few years ago. Thankfully I'm not to focused on non-lethal tactics in this playthrough so I should be prepared for some head on fights.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
EatChildren said:
Fuck the second boss fight.

This makes two otherwise phenominal games released this year that I've felt had serious flaws when it comes to bosses.
I've actually been finding the bosses piss easy on the hardest difficulty. Each one took about sub-30 seconds after 2-3 deaths figuring it out.

Beelzeboss said:

Also playing through this has really got me curious about Invisible War. I kinda want to pick it up but is it really as bad as it's made out to be? I might get it now but if it is that bad I might just wait until a Steam sale for it.

I wonder if u can reach the boss fight and be fine without getting the replacement biochip or does it kill you outright and doesn't let you progress?

It requires that you have two specific items in your inventory (maybe they can be found in the lockers in the boss room, though?) but here's my brain dead easy strategy for beating the second boss:

Template Mine + Frag Grenade. I planted the mine and stood back with my pistol. She ran into the mine, was stunned, and then I proceeded to iron sights point blank shoot her like 10 times in the head with my pistol. She ran away. Shot her while invisible and she was dead in the next shot.

Took like 20 seconds.

Mind you, this was after she killed me 5 times. Figured there was a reason the game was giving me so many template mines in the rooms before it.

EatChildren said:
Yes, but the whole idea behind an RPG is that you pick a role, a style of play, and the game allows you to play it.

Human Revolution succeeds in letting you play the minimalist, silent non-lethal spy...until you run into a boss, and then it becomes First Person Shooter No.4056. There's no flexibility of play, and the battles benefit from only a very specific selection of augs.

They're the point where the game stops letting you play how you want to play, and tells you how to play.

I agree with everything you say, but revenge is the main plot of the game. Their is quite bit of depth to the boss battles, to be honest as you can defeat them in quite different ways, most notable in the first and the last battle.

Sure, you can say that devs got lazy but the story had to continue some how. I guess the main point is that you can't make a prequel without breaking a few bones.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the first boss fight. I thought it was pretty damn fun. I never came close to dying, though. EMP grenade -> combat rifle to the head -> EMP grenade -> combat rifle to the head -> win!

I'm going to tie up some loose ends in Detroit before heading to Hengsha.

Home

Phoenixazure said:
I wonder if u can reach the boss fight and be fine without getting the replacement biochip or does it kill you outright and doesn't let you progress?

I was suspicious of the biochip "upgrade" so I didn't get it. When I got to the boss battle she was damn confused that nothing happened and then I just fought the boss.

They're all from very early in the game... but I haven't gotten real far yet - but you get the idea.

THE CLEAN TEXTURE OF WOW... I LOVE THE LOOK OF THIS GAME ITS SO AWESOME.

1o7nd.png

2p7f5.png

2560x1440 - #3

2560x1440 - #4

2560x1440 - #5

2560x1440 - #6

2560x1440 - #7

2560x1440 - #8

I was wondering why my game's was loading significantly faster when I got to the factory/
FEMA camp
. Then I saw that they released a patch today that addressed the loading issue, and it appears to be working well, since I had 30-second loadtimes before and they're now closer to ~10 seconds.

Anyways, I'm having a blast so far, and I just left Detroit for Hengsha. I've been doing a stealth non-lethal (Takedowns and tranq rifle) run, with a focus on social and hacking augs, so far. Admittedly, after fighting the first boss, I can see why the boss battles are going to be the near-universal sore point of this game. As you can guess, my character is not speced for direct combat, so I had to repeat this battle a few times before I found a working method (
Chuck concussive grenade to stun, chuck a gas barrel at him to injure and stun, chuck an explosive barrel at him, and when out of explosive barrels, stun him and unload an armor-piercing pistol clip into him to finish him off
). Much like with Alpha Protocol, it's ridiculous to have mostly-linear boss battles in a game about choice (You can't get close to the first boss, and there are no turrets to hack in the room), especially since the first game allowed you opportunities to bypass or insta-win any boss battles.

The attention to detail is amazing. I really hate games where they use bullshit phrases or random text and make it look all "technical" and "real". This game is as immersive when it comes to scenery, location and easter eggs as it can get.

fuzzyreactor said:
my browser just crashed

sorry I took six of them out and linked em now heh

shagg_187 said:
The attention to detail is amazing. I really hate games where they use bullshit phrases or random text and make it look all "technical" and "real". This game is as immersive when it comes to scenery, location and easter eggs as it can get.

It really is.

This is so true, I think this is partly what makes me love it so much, it feels and is so 'right' in terms of technology and the technical side of things which is partly what makes it feel so nerdy.

Along with all those nerdy easter eggs it's just an amazing game really.... it's made for us. ITS MADE FOR US!!!

Jintor

Fuck me. Played through 2 hours, no problem at all. Install on work PC, crash a minute after launch 4 times in a row. Can't figure out what's wrong.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
EatChildren said:

Only went through one and two so far.

Had no quarrels with one. I thought it was fairly balanced. You lure him around the map, while throwing the gas tanks and explosion barrels at him. You could also fight him front up too. Everytime you hit him with one, his argo on you reset, though he still had an idea where you were.

With number 2, all I did was stalker her the entire time. Dodged the initial charge, and followed her around. Shooting her in the back. It prevents here from re-entering stealth.
Though the whole, you are on water and EMP effects the entire map is bullshit. I'm sure there is a spot on it to avoid, but it was annoying.

First one actually let me play to the environment. 2nd was just lame.

My big opinion on bosses is that they should have just blended them into the game normally. Like how AssCreed does it. They are just another more power, more aware, NPC. And you can either kill them or subdue them.

Top Bottom