• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Reave

Trouble said:
Adam Jensen, Grammar Nazi.
vGFNql.jpg
Okay, that shit was funny.

foogles

Dan said:
Quick question: can you store items in your apartment and/or office? And with the former,
you can't put things into the hidey hole can you?
You can store things pretty much anywhere in the game by dropping them on the ground. It helps to know whether you'll actually be coming back to that spot, though.

Card Boy

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Oh yeah, the voice acting in this is terrible. It's only slightly redeemed by what I thought was Lambert from Splinter Cell.

pfffffttttttt, opinions are like assholes everyone has got one.

foogles

Deadbeat said:
Dont you see
Tracer Tong
in a much later quest
When you plant the bomb at the harbor you see him run to a speed boat and ride away
Yep. In the bonus quest,
you free him and get the chance to talk to him a little bit.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Oh yeah, the voice acting in this is terrible. It's only slightly redeemed by what I thought was Lambert from Splinter Cell.

Hearing Lambert psyched me up. But that was like 5 seconds into the game, and I haven't heard him again in the next 15 hours...

But yeah, most of the voice acting is bad. It sounds like they were all instructed to be as loud and obnoxious as possible. I actually like Jensen a lot, though.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
foogles said:
You can store things pretty much anywhere in the game by dropping them on the ground. It helps to know whether you'll actually be coming back to that spot, though.
Okay, thanks. That's enough of an answer for me.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I thought Sarif's voice acting was excellent. Adam, son, it's evolution, some people will be left behind!

Gez said:
pfffffttttttt, opinions are like assholes everyone has got one.

"WELL SHEEEEEEEEIIIIIT IF IT AIN'T THA CAP'N HISSELF"

"HERRO AMERICAN! GO YANKEES!"

"YOU LEAVE HERE NOW GWAILO"

"men are so QUEEEK to underesTIMATE WIMUN"

revolverjgw said:
Hearing Lambert psyched me up. But that was like 5 seconds into the game, and I haven't heard him again in the next 15 hours...

But yeah, most of the voice acting is bad. It sounds like they were all instructed to be as loud and obnoxious as possible. I actually like Jensen a lot, though.

Speaking of Lambert, the conspiracy theory guy on the radio did like all the guard voices for Chaos Theory.

Sub_Level said:
I thought Sarif's voice acting was excellent. Adam, son, it's evolution, some people will be left behind!

If the intent is for me to want to use my Punch Through Wall aug on his face, well, the actor did a great job. I hope he's the Big Bad because I want to kill him.

Been playing this a bit, excellent so far.

I haven't played the first (only about 2 hours or so), so I decided to preorder it (also for TF2 hatz).

So far, I'm playing how I usually play games with stealth options--no alerts, leave environment as is after I'm done (except for boxes and such), and read everything. Controls are fine, voice acting is lol, gold and black is a cool color scheme, and I'm having fun. Don't know if I'm going to improve combat skills, though. I heard that you can't really avoid killing people, so -_-

Gattsu25

Banned
Framerate is much better with the patch (I am now able to play @ 1080p at a constant 60+fps) but now the game seems to have more aliasing and also crashes frequently. Loading is quicker but the game crashes before I typically hit a loading screen

Card Boy

Banned
Cyrillus said:
I knew it had to be an achievement...I'm not willing to admit how long it took me to get this.
ibm0J9gXZ9fHli.png

I found an easy way to do it, just stand on the big blue garbage dumpster bin behind you (if your facing the basket ball ring) and aim for the red line on the Basketball ring board.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Tom Penny said:
So is the final version better than Halo, Killzone etc?
Deus Ex is an entirely different game so you can't really compare it directly to those. This is way more of an open ended RPG as opposed to a straight up shooter like those.

Varna

Just met up with
Zeke
again. I wonder if his men respond differently if you handled the situation differently (nice touch if they do).

Love that you can find all sorts of things if you just jump around.

Blizzard

Banned
I actually like Jensen's voice, but I figure it's divisive.

Teknoman said:
Btw you guys say 90 is a good FOV setting for 16:10?
I think I used 90 with 16:10, and someone liked it for 16:9.

Gez said:
Is Icarus drop worth it?
I don't have it yet, but from what I hear it's useful for both shortcuts and looking awesome. :p

Teknoman

After testing, 80 FOV it is. The guns seem a little skinny at 90 for me. Also more action games need to take notes on HR's sound design. The impact sounds are so satisfying.

Once you get the cloak aug maxed, it's really useful and fun. It's also intense because it's so short lived and you can't just go around cloaking and taking down every enemy, that drains too much energy and gets you caught easily. It's awesome going from cover to cover, evaluating whether those 7 seconds can get you through an elaborate room or hallway full of patrols, and trying to make every millisecond of it count.

Glad it's not the gamebreaking ability it was in Alpha Protocol

ColtraineGF said:
Been playing this a bit, excellent so far. It was basically God mode in that and I couldn't help myself.

I haven't played the first (only about 2 hours or so), so I decided to preorder it (also for TF2 hatz).

So far, I'm playing how I usually play games with stealth options--no alerts, leave environment as is after I'm done (except for boxes and such), and read everything. Controls are fine, voice acting is lol, gold and black is a cool color scheme, and I'm having fun. Don't know if I'm going to improve combat skills, though. I heard that you can't really avoid killing people, so -_-

It's not hard to avoid using lethal force on regular enemies. But there are bosses you have to fight, and that's my only real complaint about the game. They're not fun and the normal rules of engagement are thrown out the window. Keep a stun gun on hand for them...

Teknoman

Neverfade said:
Tips for hacking?

I'm...very bad. Upgraded to level two and have yet to successfully hack one of those.

Just make good use of shielding, disconnecting before being detected, and the malware programs.

Neverfade said:
Tips for hacking?

I'm...very bad. Upgraded to level two and have yet to successfully hack one of those.

I found not waiting for a node to be captured before clicking on the next sped things up a lot in my favor.

Neverfade

DualShadow said:
I found not waiting for a node to be captured before clicking on the next sped things up a lot in my favor.

Maybe I'm an idiot and missing something, but it seems like sometimes that works and sometimes it does jack shit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Neverfade said:
Tips for hacking?

Get a couple of the stealth hack upgrades and be very mindful of the percentages for each node that you capture. The levels in vanilla hacking only allow you to hack more secure systems. Always try to trace a direct line to the exit and if you have the time, go after the extra stuff with the path to the end open so you can bail if the trace is catching up with you.

Varna

Neverfade said:
Tips for hacking?

Are you understanding how it works? I had problems until I realized how it worked

Try to set up your path going across lower level nodes. It will give you more time when you finally alert the system. I usually use my nukes on anything level 4-5 (or even 3 if it's really early in the sequence) unless you are sure you will have enough time when the alarm is triggered. Save your stop worms (space key on pc) for when you desperately need more time.

You can always cheese it by save/reload and try to get further in without hitting the alarm. So many of the codes can be found in the environment too.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Teknoman said:
Just make good use of shielding, disconnecting before being detected, and the malware programs.
I don't even know what shielding is and there still hasn't been anything I can't crack.

Its basically just a spam rush. Scroll out to view the routes. Nuke when you have too, but just pick which way is the best to go by difficult of the nodes. Getting the Hacking Detection Prevention helps so much. Everything from 1-3 then becomes 15%.

Always get the cube pieces too. They give extra EXP, Cash, or more importantly, more Nukes and Stops. Once you get the detection rate down, they'll stack up like crazy. I'm sitting on about 20 each.

Chiggs

Gold Member
The shotgun, once upgraded, is such a perfect weapon. It just feels right, and the impact it delivers. Perfection.

Well at least Eidos/Square got the patch right. Load times are probably 30% of what they were before. It's sort of sad that I'm really happy about some sort of PC support from big publishers at this point. Definitely very happy overall with the PC version thus far.

This game is so great, but I can't wait to start a second playthrough with lethal force. Only keeping my lethal weapons for boss fights is killing me, and some of the sequences that pit you up against a bunch of hostile guards coming right at you are insanely tough if you aren't willing to use lethal weapons.

Also I'm a super idiot and never realized that to turn off security cameras you have to click the green light. I mean, I clicked the video feeds and that just changed my view, and there was no "cameras" button next to the turrets, robots, and doors one, so...

Cyrillus said:
I knew it had to be an achievement...I'm not willing to admit how long it took me to get this.
ibm0J9gXZ9fHli.png

Actually if you stand almost under the hoop and throw the ball straight up it's really easy.
Got it on my second try.

EmCeeGramr said:
This game is so great, but I can't wait to start a second playthrough with lethal force. Only keeping my lethal weapons for boss fights is killing me, and some of the sequences that pit you up against a bunch of hostile guards coming right at you are insanely tough if you aren't willing to use lethal weapons.

Also I'm a super idiot and never realized that to turn off security cameras you have to click the green light. I mean, I clicked the video feeds and that just changed my view, and there was no "cameras" button next to the turrets, robots, and doors one, so...

Aw shit! I haven't been saving any lethal weapons. Mother.... I JUST dropped all my ammo and lethal guns a few saves ago >.< Need to pick another one up...

Dead

well not really...yet
BigJiantRobut said:
"WELL SHEEEEEEEEIIIIIT IF IT AIN'T THA CAP'N HISSELF"

"HERRO AMERICAN! GO YANKEES!"

"YOU LEAVE HERE NOW GWAILO"

"men are so QUEEEK to underesTIMATE WIMUN"
I have to admit that the voice for the female hobo informant NPC on the streets outside HQ had me do a double take

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fuck the second boss fight.

This makes two otherwise phenominal games released this year that I've felt had serious flaws when it comes to bosses.

EatChildren said:

This makes two otherwise phenominal games released this year that I've felt had serious flaws when it comes to bosses.
I got really fucking lucky with that. They got stuck on a corner and kept running forward, trapped in place.

I just don't understand why they thought these bosses were necessary.

snack

EatChildren said:

Lots of Typhoon = win!

EatChildren said:

What was the other game if you don't mind me asking

when does that EXPLOSIVE GAMESPOT EXCLUSIVE dlc mission take place? I watched the trailer and it looks like Shanghai, but it didn't come up. Earlier in the game, I had a pop up window and it said "here are some EXCLUSIVE BOMB PACKS we'll tell you about the grenade launcher n' shit later"

it's later, damnit.

EmCeeGramr said:

I kinda like how tough a lethal, stealth run it. Most satisfying pure stealth game in a while (if you exclude Batman's predator stealth).

It's really not so bad. I'm playing hardest mode, no alarms, and haven't even used my tranq gun yet. It has been all takedowns, watching patrols, hiding bodies, and that good stuff.

Top Bottom