• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Varna

No issues with the first boss fight. Got him on my second try.

Been playing non-lethal. Just kept the revolver I found in the area... stun grenade + Full clip to the face did it.

EDIT: Buffed my HP to 175. Helped when I was running for cover. Would have died otherwise.

Jintor

Jesus fucking christ if anything these crashes are getting worse. Entering conversation with anybody crashes the game instantly. Updated graphics drivers, reverified content integrity, disabled DX11... crash, crash, crash, crash. This is bullshit.

So much for beta testing. The HUD won't show up for me. Well, at least the loading times have improved drastically. It's actually possible to have fun not killing anyone!

1stStrike

Banned
Phew. I just beat this amazing game. I went ahead and watched all 4 endings, and the overall message was really a thought provoking one.

This game really makes you think about the future and where we're heading. Obviously, we're not anywhere near Deus Ex levels of technology yet, but we're definitely going in that direction.

I clocked in at 36 hours played in the end. I finished all the side quests I found, and had quite a few praxis points. I went for a non-lethal role at first, but in the end couldn't help but kill some people :p (I'm not worried about achievements, though).

Ending Thoughts:

In the end, I think the overall best option was to destroy the whole place, including Adam. I honestly didn't want any of those people getting back out into society. I went for the option of revealing the illuminati as my first decision, though. I was torn between killing everyone responsible for all the issues off and revealing the true reason for everything to the world.

Either of these decisions would have a drastic difference on how things progress in the world.

I thought the game, overall, was fantastic. It's the most thought provoking game I've played in a long time, and I can honestly say that I'd have no qualms playing it through again.

Oh and there was only one boss battle that gave me trouble. That was the 3rd one - the rest were pretty easy because I upgraded my inventory early on and carried both lethal and non-lethal weapons, so I was able to change as needed. Emp grenades are your friend too.

Now, I'm going to start working on the original Deus Ex. I've never played it, so it's high time that I give it a go. I seriously hope that they continue to expand this universe as if this team keeps working on Deus Ex, I'm confident that they can make another stellar game.

Salsa

for the first boss fight i just
took cover behind a wall and every time he overheated i aimed and got a few headshots in with the sniper rifle, he was down after 2-3 of these

it was.. underwhelming

Yep. He definitely didn't finish it in 9 hours.

Top are his achievements, bottom are mine.

Unlocked: Aug 23, 2011 4:21pm
Unlocked: Aug 23, 2011 7:34am
Unforeseen Consequence
You convinced Zeke Sanders to
let his hostage go.

Unlocked: Aug 23, 2011 10:29am
Up the Ante!
Upgrade your first weapon of choice.

Unlocked: Aug 23, 2011 12:00pm
Lesser Evil
Deal with Mr. Carella's indiscretion.

The time stamps are messed up. Steam being Steam. It'll take at least 3 to 4 hours to deal with Mr. Carella's indiscretion, especially if you were completing some other main quests or don't have the hacking skill or super strength. The best you can do is 30 minutes assuming you had the passcodes to everything, skipped all conversations, straight up killed the guy without talking or dealing with the problem and returning... which I don't think he did... :p

T;'DR: Steam fucked up.

Glass Rebel said:
So much for beta testing. The HUD won't show up for me. Well, at least the loading times have improved drastically. It's actually possible to have fun not killing anyone!

Do you have Catalyst AI on? If so disable it.

i32oyHAUPscoh.gif

I should have gotten the 360 version. The lure of getting it via digital download without having to leave the house was just too strong, but now I'm paying the price.

Blizzard

Banned
Jintor said:
Jesus fucking christ if anything these crashes are getting worse. Entering conversation with anybody crashes the game instantly. Updated graphics drivers, reverified content integrity, disabled DX11... crash, crash, crash, crash. This is bullshit.
What video card, what OS, how much memory, and which programs are you running in the background?

Also, I think Steam playtime tracking has pretty much always been messed up. I need to remember to track my own time since the game doesn't do it for you.

To the pc players - will I be ruining my experience at all by using xbox controller with the USB dongle? I wanna play this from my laptop hooked up to my samsung led tv. Note: laptop can easily handle this on high settings.

Thanks

shagg_187 said:
Yep. He definitely didn't finish it in 9 hours.

Top are his achievements, bottom are mine.

The time stamps are messed up. Steam being Steam. It'll take at least 3 to 4 hours to deal with Mr. Carella's indiscretion, especially if you were completing some other main quests or don't have the hacking skill or super strength. The best you can do is 30 minutes assuming you had the passcodes to everything, skipped all conversations, straight up killed the guy without talking or dealing with the problem and returning... which I don't think he did... :p

T;'DR: Steam fucked up.

Yeah it would seem that Steam did not track my playtime for the first couple hours.

15 hours is a lot more believable I think, but even that seems short.

Edit: I only say 15 because the rest of my achievements are gapped normally it seems.

In any case I have no fucking clue how long I played because it did it in gap sessions.

Hey have any PC players had a weird stuttering issue? My rig seems to handle the game fine half the time, but it gets really jittery wayyy too often.

Maybe I shoulda waited for a patch and sale. Goddamn console up ports... :mad:

Salsa

BudokaiMR2 said:
Hey have any PC players had a weird stuttering issue? My rig seems to handle the game fine half the time, but it gets really jittery wayyy too often.

yeah that happens

16 hours played, still in Detroit. I just finished a 4 1/2 hour session and the time felt like it flew by. I seriously thought it was like midnight, maaaybe 1am but it's 2:45... good lord. This game is such a rare treat. GOTY and if the quality continues at this level, probably my game of the gen. There aren't enough adjectives to describe the awesomeness that is this game.

Stephen_drewz said:
To the pc players - will I be ruining my experience at all by using xbox controller with the USB dongle? I wanna play this from my laptop hooked up to my samsung led tv. Note: laptop can easily handle this on high settings.

Thanks
I've played this entire time with a wireless 360 pad and it's worked flawlessly. Navigating menus and the UI is a breeze. Great controls.

1stStrike

Banned
The game will sometimes stutter a little bit when I first load it, but it's been smooth after that for me. I only had a couple freezes/crashes with the game all the way through, and never really lost any progress as I'd always saved before it happened (I relentlessly abuse my F5 key).

With the loading time having been fixed in the most recent patch, the game runs like a dream overall now.

Sober

BudokaiMR2 said:

When I load I just do a couple 360s to let it load. It really is only bad it seems in city hubs because other places seem fine (I only left Detroit, so as far as I know, there isn't really any need to be hypervigilant in the hubs).

Jintor

Blizzard said:
What video card, what OS, how much memory, and which programs are you running in the background?

ATI Radeon HD 5800, Window s7 Ultimate, 2 gigs of memory, nothing running in background besides steam, f.lux, and microsoft security essentials.

Gonna head home and see if the latest patch screwed over my flawless home install.

hamchan

My game kept freezing when the save icon appeared and I had to alt tab out and back in for it to unfreeze. Turned on Vsync and that seemed to fix it, though I was also in that Alice Pod Garden place and I hear that specific location has given some people trouble.

Guys, just a quick question:

Is it possible to backtrack to the Sarif Manufacturing Plant after you've left that area? The Sarif Manufacturing Plant is the area accessed (right at the beginning of the game) by taking Sarif's personal elevator. It's the area where the hostages are being held and a bomb is in place. I forgot to pick up an XP book that's located there, that's why I ask. By the way, I'm at the point in the game where I'm about to leave Detroit for the first time. Thanks.

Salsa

think im done for the day.. got about 6 hours in. Cant afford to keep playing till 8am like yesterday :p

19 hours says Steam so far and im doing sidequests in China.

1stStrike

Banned
MortalMonkey said:
Guys, just a quick question:

Is it possible to backtrack to the Sarif Manufacturing Plant after you've left that area? The Sarif Manufacturing Plant is the area accessed (right at the beginning of the game) by taking Sarif's personal elevator. It's the area where the hostages are being held and a bomb is in place. I forgot to pick up an XP book that's located there, that's why I ask. By the way, I'm at the point in the game where I'm about to leave Detroit for the first time. Thanks.

Nope. Once you've left that area you can't get back.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Do you have Catalyst AI on? If so disable it.

Nah, but restarting the game fixed it.

Anyway, I played the leak for a few hours and went with a really agressive and lethal approach and was fascinated. Now with the full game I tried to go as stealthy as possible and I enjoy it even more! Anyone earned the Foxiest of the Hounds achievement? Does having an "alerted" state count against it?

Blizzard

Banned
Jintor said:
ATI Radeon HD 5800, Window s7 Ultimate, 2 gigs of memory, nothing running in background besides steam, f.lux, and microsoft security essentials.

Gonna head home and see if the latest patch screwed over my flawless home install.
I have an ATI 5850, Windows 7 home premium 64-bit, 4GB of memory, Avast, and had no crashes. :/ On an off-chance, try stopping F-lux? Or maybe do a memory scan to make sure none of your memory is bad?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Have a question, directly after you get the "Yes Boss" achievement.

David says he will send files to your home computer and to go look at them and come back when ready. I went home and no files? Whats the deal?

BigTnaples said:
Have a question, directly after you get the "Yes Boss" achievement.

David says he will send files to your home computer and to go look at them and come back when ready. I went home and no files? Whats the deal?

Go to your office.

mandiller

This game is pretty awesome :)

6Jg1G.jpg

Also, one the of the post-it notes near this computer is in binary. I think when it's translated it is the code to the computer. I love the attention to detail.

Finished AND got Pacifist. Was nervous I might've accidentally killed someone. I fully expect to kill a small country's worth of people my next run through.

Ending talk.

Choose to broadcast the message aka the beta version of Tracer Tong's ending in DX1. No way is that one canon lolololololol

Swifty

One of the things I'm impressed with in Hengsha was the decision to have most of the NPCs speak Chinese with subtitles instead of just having everyone speak Chinese accented English. It's pretty immersive, I have to say.

Salsa

Swifty said:
instead of just having everyone speak Chinese accented English. It's pretty immersive, I have to say.

probably cause that would sound damn racist, and there's already a ton of "gangsta" stereotype black characters, lol

Sober

Swifty said:
One of the things I'm impressed with in Hengsha was the decision to have most of the NPCs speak Chinese with subtitles instead of just having everyone speak Chinese accented English. It's pretty immersive, I have to say.
Mista JC Denton, in the fresh

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
BigJiantRobut said:
Go to your office.

Thanks, that was my second guess. Doh. Just made it to the next hub, I'll save that for tomorrow.

Please tell me I still have a lot of game to complete? I don't want this to end!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BigTnaples said:
Thanks, that was my second guess. Doh. Just made it to the next hub, I'll save that for tomorrow.

Please tell me I still have a lot of game to complete? I don't want this to end!

You're not even half way.

watershed

Banned
Man the second hub is huge! I'm glad I grabbed the icarus landing aug as it makes traveling around town much funner and more impressive looking.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got to the second hub, hoooly shit. I'm definitly glad I have Icarus Drop and the improved jumping. Also level 5 hacking and only have something like 15% chance of getting spotted on things level 3 and up, so eff everyone trying to keep me out.

Immediate sidequest here:
I love when games let you handle bribes like this. For the hooker's quest I went to talk to the guy on the roof, bribed him 2000, punched him in the face and took it back. So good.

vazel

Banned
Zeliard said:
Someone said earlier you end up having so much money it breaks the economy, but so far for me that hasn't been the case at all. I'm a couple quests into Hengsha so maybe it's different later on.

But while I've found tons of credits (including single credit chips at 1000+ in Hengsha) and sold a lot of stuff, my credit is largely kept in check by buying ammo, grenades, weapon upgrades and especially the Praxis kits from LIMB clinics at 5000 credits a pop. I dunno how often the shop refreshes those but so far in Hengsha I've bought 2.
Yea, I remember that post too and overflowing with money hasn't been my experience either. The praxis kit prices alone eat 5k credits out of your wallet(I think there's two kits per LIMB clinic). And even though I'm doing a stealth run I still buy weapons and weapon upgrades in preparation for boss fights. The game does a good job with giving you just enough money and praxis points to be comfortable with as you progress.

Question. I'm still in Detroit, and only played a few hours so I don't know if the venders restock stuff like suppressors. I was hoping to suppress more then one weapon. thanks

I asked this before, but it naturally got lost in such a fast growing thread.

What is the minimum level of hacking required to complete every sidequest? 3?

Is there a way in game to check how many people i have killed? I would hate to get to the end of my hard stealth play through to find out I borked someone I didn't notice via a fall or something.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The view from the TYM building right below the Pangu is breathtaking.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SalsaShark said:
gotta say: i love icarus landing, but that animation is getting old :p

Agreed. I love the Icarus landing aug in theory and basic practice, but the animation wears off pretty quickly and I'd much rather it just let you jump and land with no damage all from first person.

Top Bottom