• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

MrCookiepants said:
It really had nothing to do with your choice of augs, just your failure to convince him to let you in. I was able to do it without the social enhancer. You would have had no trouble if you reloaded your save and tried again there. :p
Well yeah, I know I messed that part up but I'm purposefully forcing myself to play through regardless of what happens so I didn't want to reload the game just to cheese my way through. The point I was making is that the game gives you at least three alternate ways to solve that issue if you mess up the conversation but I was unable to take advantage of any of them due to my choice of augs. My story wasn't meant as a complaint, more as a realization that it's important to get a few augs early on that let you take advantage of alternate pathways.

Darklord

Banned
Uh, I just went onto steam to get the new patch. It started unlocking the game again, now it's stuck at 65%. Did my game just break?

important augs would be arm strength and hacking for alternate routes.

also social enhancer helped me out a lot. Haven't upgraded any of that radar/cone stuff. Would take out the fun of stealth for me.

Discotheque said:
important augs would be arm strength and hacking for alternate routes.

also social enhancer helped me out a lot. Haven't upgraded any of that radar/cone stuff. Would take out the fun of stealth for me.
It takes the fun out of stealth for you? I guess you're not a very big fan of the MGS games, huh?

bitoriginal said:
Game (UK) haven't delivered my copy. Terrible news. Gonna have to drive to town and temporarily double dip.

Shopto sent this out first class on Tuesday and I still haven't got it, it's the first time I haven't received a game on release and it has to be with this one. Fucking Royal Mail...

The_Darkest_Red said:
It takes the fun out of stealth for you? I guess you're not a very big fan of the MGS games, huh?

I liked first 3. But yeah I'd prefer to play this game just relying on corners and not the radar (the radar barely existed for me in the first DX)

You know, I don't knowwhy I feel this way but this game had a lOT of similar feelings to witcher 2. Id call it witcher 2 in the future.

One thing I wish is that the augment screen was better and as you changed parts it physically changed them on your character.

I would have preferred heading to the clinic or sarif or some store every time I earned enough praxis points so that I could upgrade my characters arms and biotic parts more visibly and gameplay affectively... If that makes sense?

At least that's how I felt about how it all worked in de when I was younger.

Discotheque said:
I liked first 3. But yeah I'd prefer to play this game just relying on corners and not the radar (the radar barely existed for me in the first game)
Fair enough, it's more of a "pure" stealth based experience. Then again, you are basically half robot in HR, why not take advantage of it? ;)

The vision cone aug has been extremely helpful for me so far, it even shows you a cone for security cameras. I don't feel like it's taking away from the stealth aspect of the game for me, it's just helping me plan my routes a little more efficiently.

Solo

Looking forward to finally getting back to this tonight. Will be my first time playing post-patch. I'm just about to infiltrate Derelict Row.

Only another 7 hours of work first :/

bitoriginal

Spirit of Jazz said:
Shopto sent this out first class on Tuesday and I still haven't got it, it's the first time I haven't received a game on release and it has to be with this one. Fucking Royal Mail...

I'm pretty pissed off to be honest. Took the day off work, and the postie has been and gone. Theres no way I'm not playing it today, I'll spend another £50 just for that leisure. Dissapointed with Game though, they're usually on the ball with preorders. I've heard a few people received theirs from Shopto on Wednesday as well.

I guess we're just the unlucky ones!

FGMPR

Banned
I've just finished it. Now it's over and I want more :(

I'm going to go and play IW as I haven't played it since release and I NEED more Deus Ex, no matter what insidious form it takes (I finished the original a couple of months ago and The Nameless Mod doesn't work on my PC for some unknown reason).

Sotha Sil

Has the PS3 version been patched too? The load times are pretty tolerable so far.

FGMPR said:

I'm going to go and play IW as I haven't played it since release and I NEED more Deus Ex, no matter what insidious form it takes (I finished the original a couple of months ago and The Nameless Mod doesn't work on my PC for some unknown reason).

I hear you. IW is bad, but it's still a hub-based adventure game. There is so few of those.

Mafro

A question for those that are far into the game:

I've just started Montreal and haven't come across a silencer at all yet. Can I get one in this section?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
purchased an x360 copy this morning. begin my journey after work. good gaf buzz INSTRUMENTAL in pushing this sale and i'm sure many others. i needed something rich and something different. i love worlds.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
FGMPR said:

Don't do it to yourself, doggie.

-Winnie-

I bought DE1 and 2 back during a Steam sale in anticipation for Human Revolution. Played the first, it was awesome, but I'm playing DE2 and finding it a bit shit.
Are there any connections in Human Revolution to DE2 at all? So would I gain anything by playing DE2 before HR?

He should play Alpha Protocol instead. It's no Human Revolution but it does the dialogue system justice and takes a few cues from the genre.

Plus being a superspy is awesome.

Enco

Just played it for 20 or so minutes.

Man this game is stunning. Everything about it is perfect. From the music to the world and to the open missions.

The Sarif hq is awesome. Would love to work there :lol

This is all coming from someone who couldn't play DE1. Far too dated.

Drakken

Any word on a 360 update to decrease loading times? (Excuse me if this was already mentioned; I haven't read through the whole thread yet.)

FGMPR

Banned
Discotheque said:
He should play Alpha Protocol instead. It's no Human Revolution but it does the dialogue system justice and takes a few cues from the genre.

Plus being a superspy is awesome.

I already have :)

Same with Vampire:TMB

Solo

Enco said:
This is all coming from someone who couldn't play DE1. Far too dated.

*rage*

90% of the stuff getting flowery hyperbole in this thread was present in DX1. Sad panda, I am.

I've only just started, but already I found the AI a bit wonky.

I went onto the roof of the warehouse and dropped through the vent into the warehouse proper, with the boxes. I spotted a guy a way away and, not realising there were others in the room, whacked him from on top of the boxes with the tranq dart rifle. He fell over and a guard ran over to check him, all "Huh?!", so I shot him too. In the end I had 5 or 6 bodies lying there, who'd all done the same thing. I walked over, ransacked them all, and that's where I saved, but yeah, they seem pretty dumb.

Ken

Mafro said:
A question for those that are far into the game:

I've just started Montreal and haven't come across a silencer at all yet. Can I get one in this section?
A weapon vendor has a silencer for sale in Hengsha, IIRC. Don't remember if Montreal has a silencer anywhere.

masterkajo

I still have that problem that everytime I start the game from within Steam it asks me to either "Play Deus Ex" or "Setup Deus Ex". The only thing that seems to solve it is creating a desktop shortcut. But I don't want to have it on the desktop. I want to start it from within the game without having to do the extra click always again. Anyone know if there is a soultion to this?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Solo said:
IW is only bad as a DX sequel. On its own, you could do a lot worse.

Ehhh it's pretty bad. It's stupid easy and mission design is like... braindead. Uni-ammo is disgusting, as well. The UI is also disgusting. And the aug system.

Yep, I think I hate it.

glaurung

Deus Ex finally got released to European peasants last night. I managed to play for about 20 minutes before I collapsed onto my bed, trying to rest up for the Friday office rush.

But the weekend is before us.

gabe.png

Solo

masterkajo said:
I still have that problem that everytime I start the game from within Steam it asks me to either "Play Deus Ex" or "Setup Deus Ex". The only thing that seems to solve it is creating a desktop shortcut. But I don't want to have it on the desktop. I want to start it from within the game without having to do the extra click always again. Anyone know if there is a soultion to this?

This is a first world problem if ever I've heard one.

Sotha Sil

DE1, too dated? I re-installed it a few days ago, and it's still got it. Even without the nostalgia goggles, I would absolutely love it. Exploring the Liberty Statue area, stunning guards, finding a laser sight mod in some corner of the map... it's as exciting as ever. Everything just clicks.

Back to HR: God, it's awesome.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, that new patch really saved the day. Game runs better and loads super fast (like ~5 seconds per area). The game just became 10x more playable and I'm loving it!

Game is soooo good. I love the fact that the mission following the Police Station takes place in a fair large area that is actually apart of the main hub map. No extra loading or anything. You just sneak in off the street and keep going. Very cool!

DE1 too dated? I re-installed it a few days ago, and it's still got it. Even without the nostalgia goggles, I would absolutely love it. Exploring the Liberty Statue area, stunning guards, finding a laser sight mod in some corner of the map... it's as exciting as ever. Everything just clicks.
It does have a sense of scale that is uncommon today. I believe this is due to the sheer lack of detail. A lot of Unreal 1 games used massive flat surfaces to create the environments.

A lot of the core design is still pretty relevant. Where the game feels dated is in the animation department. Firing a weapon, watching guards move around, and generally performing any action simply looks dated and janky. Even in 2000, the game did not move well at all. Easy enough to overlook due to how damn good the game is, but it's definitely an area where it feels dated. Just a year later we got our hands on Metal Gear Solid 2 which is light years beyond Deus Ex visually and I remember specifically thinking how I'd love to have a game with MGS2 quality animation and visual design with the complexity of Deus Ex.

Still, Deus Ex is still a magical game that manages to surprise and delight even today.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Accidentally left the game on all night, so my steam-tracked time with the game is useless now. :\

FGMPR said:
I already have :)

Same with Vampire:TMB
No One Lives Forever 2 isn't really a hub-based RPG thing, but it might scratch your itch. Worth a try, certainly, if you haven't played it yet.

Sotha Sil

BobsRevenge said:
No One Lives Forever 2 isn't really a hub-based RPG thing, but it might scratch your itch. Worth a try, certainly, if you haven't played it yet.

That's good advice, actually. Incredible game.

is there any penalty to loading previous saves? ie: loss of XP or charging you credits?

i panicked and shot a guy, but have come up with an idea on how to hide from him if i try again. :x

for the trophy "Deus Ex Machina (silver) - Experience all the different endings that Deus Ex: Human Revolution has to offer."
I saved right before I made my final decision, then I loaded it over and over to get different endings. how come it is still locked?
do i have to play the game multiple times to get this trophy?

masterkajo

Solo said:
This is a first world problem if ever I've heard one.
I installed a retail UK copy from the disk if that helps anything. It is not a ver big issue but it gets annoying fast if you try to start the game several times in a row. I get that I am asked about the setup the first time but every time I start doesn't seem right - especially since I can edit all from within the game.

NBtoaster

This game isn't enthralling me as much as it is for some people here, probably because I never played past the first level of Deus Ex1. It's definitely a good game though, I just don't feel like playing it all night. Currently snooping around the Detroit police station.

The gunplay feels so good in this game, sometimes I just want to go in guns blazing but then I miss out on hidden goodies...and I die a lot. Decisions..

FGMPR

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
Accidentally left the game on all night, so my steam-tracked time with the game is useless now. :\

Is there anywhere that sells it DD? or is it one of those titles which is kind of in limbo in regards to acquiring it? (legally)

Also, I'm playing EYE with a friend, and I'm enjoying that. It doesn't have the details that make's exploring the game world so much fun like Deus Ex and Vampire though.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
FGMPR said:
Is there anywhere that sells it DD? or is it one of those titles which is kind of in limbo in regards to acquiring it?

Also, I'm playing EYE with a friend, and I'm enjoying that. It doesn't have the details that make's exploring the game world so much fun like Deus Ex and Vampire though.
NOLF 2 is really fun to explore. Not easy to buy though, as far as I know. :\

Top Bottom