• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Aselith

Teknoman said:
Isnt the silencer supposed to suppress sound? I've shot a guard that was clearly standing away from others, yet the rest start looking around like they've heard something as soon as I shoot them.

Also I think I need to sell this rocket launcher...its just too big.

Most of those suppressed weapons will still attract guards that are close. They're suppressed not silent so they still make some sound. i think they may see the muzzle flash possibly also though it's always a bit hard to tell what the AI keys off of. Sometimes though enemies will only see you if you're far enough away when you shoot so that's definitely seeing the muzzle flash.

Teknoman

Ken said:
I carried the rocket launcher all the way to the end of the game thinking I'd need it but never did use it.

lol yeah I used it in the first boss fight, then got punched in the face. Never again.

Aselith said:
Most of those suppressed weapons will still attract guards that are close. They're suppressed not silent so they still make some sound. i think they may see the muzzle flash possibly also though it's always a bit hard to tell what the AI keys off of. Sometimes though enemies will only see you if you're far enough away when you shoot so that's definitely seeing the muzzle flash.

Ah didnt think they reacted to seeing the flash. I think I need to work on dermal armor, especially since a run in with a certain person point blank almost killed me in two shots. From a hand gun no less.

toasty_T said:
Has there been a patch? My load times are about 10s now.
Yep. http://store.steampowered.com/news/6146/

-A frequent issue for AMD/ATI hardware users that can cause the game to crash on startup.
-Improvements to loading speed. The speed increase depends on machine spec and settings, but loading time improvements of over 50% have been measured on some machines.
-Some control fixes:

Diagonal movement is no longer faster as intended.
Adjustments have been made to mouse sensitivity in response to user feedback.
Mouse sensitivity for X and Y axis can still be configured separately, but is now consistent when set to default settings.
The range of settings for mouse sensitivity has been adjusted to provide for more accurate adjusting.
The default mouse sensitivity has been altered to be somewhat less sensitive.

Oh and if someone from Nixxes is looking at this and if we're getting things like mouse control worked on, can you make it so that the "use" key will holster your weapon if there's no interactive object in front of you? Just means I have to use bind fewer keys, the original game did that too, very convenient for controls. And maybe better scaling for the HUD in larger resolutions? The hotbar in particular isn't always clear.

mxgt

Banned
Played 2 hours when it unlocked last night and Steam says I haven't played it at all :|

something is indeed messed up with the counter

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I would just like to say that this game is still fuckawesome and I basicaly have to pass out to stop playing. lol

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Kintaro said:
I would just like to say that this game is still fuckawesome and I basicaly have to pass out to stop playing. lol
Meeee too. I just put in six more hours, haha. So enthralling. I just made it to
Montreal
, so I think I'm about half through, with an estimated 20 hours played. So far, so awesome.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Kintaro said:
It's almost 3:30 AM and I had to force myself to stop playing. :p

Steam says I've played 17 hours and I'm still in Hengsha. Really just taking my time and soaking everything in. Doing all sidequests, exploring everywhere, hacking everything,
breaking into random apartments and killing people with their own refrigerators

Marco1

Postman been and gone and no game.
This and my last lovefilm rental were shipped last week and both have not arrived.
I have a kleptomaniac postman.

Salsa

CrankyKong said:
Is it normal for the tranq gun not to have a reticle in aim mode?
Its completely useless

the range holds up to less than a meter near of a guy, not much sense for it to have a crosshair

Fjordson

Hmm, my friend was talking about this cool side quest in Detroit called "Cloak & Dagger" but I haven't come across it yet.

Is there some specific way to trigger it? He said he got a page from someone that initiated it.

I'm about to leave the Detroit hub, but like I said, have yet to get a page like that about it. Trying to finish this before I move on with the main quest.

Nemesis_

Fjordson said:
Hmm, my friend was talking about this cool side quest in Detroit called "Cloak & Dagger" but I haven't come across it yet.

Is there some specific way to trigger it? He said he got a page from someone that initiated it.

I'm about to leave the Detroit hub, but like I said, have yet to get a page like that about it. Trying to finish this before I move on with the main quest.

There's a bunch of hookers somewhere on the street. Go and talk to the dark skinned one, I think her name is Jenny, to initiate the quest.

vazel

Banned
Fjordson said:

Speak to the dark skinned hooker across the street to Derelict Row.

God, this is a Deus Ex game. The sneaking, the atmosphere, I needed this so much. Playing on Give Me Deus Ex, easy as hell so far. Stuck in Detroit, want to experience and find out everything.

How can I increase the accuracy with Tranq Rifle? Is the reticle always going to be shaking like that?

Salsa

Castor Krieg said:
God, this is a Deus Ex game. The sneaking, the atmosphere, I needed this so much. Playing on Give Me Deus Ex, easy as hell so far. Stuck in Detroit, want to experience and find out everything.

How can I increase the accuracy with Tranq Rifle? Is the reticle always going to be shaking like that?

there's an upgrade later on (check for arms dealers before missions) that gives you the ability to know where to place the bullet to get a hit when a character is moving, no matter the distance

it sounds overpowered but its not easy to pull off, weapon becomes godlike

Ken

Castor Krieg said:

There's an augment that reduces recoil, and when maxed, removes all recoil while aiming. I also attached the tracking/aim assist mod in my Tranq. rifle which helped a bit.

Fjordson

Nemesis556 said:
There's a bunch of hookers somewhere on the street. Go and talk to the dark skinned one, I think her name is Jenny, to initiate the quest.
vazel said:
Speak to the dark skinned hooker across the street to Derelict Row.
Many thanks!

Everything has been great so far. I loved exploring Detroit, taking care of the various side quests. Hopefully the later hubs are as enjoyable. And the main quest levels were a lot of fun as well. I was certain I was just going to brute force my way through the game yet I've gone all stealth. Mostly using takedowns and the stun gun.

Only segment that I didn't enjoy was the boss battle. Found it kind of lame, but luckily it didn't last long.

Ken said:
There's an augment that reduces recoil, and when maxed, removes all recoil while aiming. I also attached the tracking/aim assist mod in my Tranq. rifle which helped a bit.

Yeah, I was wondering about that - does "recoil" in this case mean the reticle won't shake so much? Or is it simply for weapons like Combat Rifle?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I think steam enabled retail games are the perfect combo. I installed Deus Ex in less than 15 minutes. Also, 1080 p on my 42" plasma with 7.1 is glorious.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wow that second boss was way easier than the first especially with the heavy rifle.

Really dig the shotgun in this game. It doesn't fall to pieces after 3 feet.

Ken

Castor Krieg said:
Yeah, I was wondering about that - does "recoil" in this case mean the reticle won't shake so much? Or is it simply for weapons like Combat Rifle?
My bad. Made a mistake in my other post.

I meant to say the augment that reduces reticule sway. It's its own augment tree right next to the arm augment tree. The arm augment tree has the augments that allow you to lift heavy objects, punch through walls, and reduce recoil on, what I'm guessing are guns like the combat rifle and machine pistol. The augment tree to the right of it with the crosshairs IIRC is the one that reduces sway while aiming with rifles. It takes two point to somewhat reduce sway and another to remove sway completely.

Proc

Spent most of my playtime last night hacking computers in a police station. Yep, i am in love with this game. Soo good.

SLV

I'll be damned, Direct X 11 is really game breaking for me, got to that Mei chick for a sidequest as soon as i start to talk either the game crashes with looping sounds, or the graphics card entirely shuts down, and i get the no signal thingy -_- FFS.

Ken said:
My bad. Made a mistake in my other post.

I meant to say the augment that reduces reticule sway. It's its own augment tree right next to the arm augment tree. The arm augment tree has the augments that allow you to lift heavy objects, punch through walls, and reduce recoil on, what I'm guessing are guns like the combat rifle and machine pistol. The augment tree to the right of it with the crosshairs IIRC is the one that reduces sway while aiming with rifles. It takes two point to somewhat reduce sway and another to remove sway completely.

Thanks, never noticed that one.

As I like to sell everything, and I'm swimming in energy bars, I decided to just roll with Tranq Rifle and Knockdowns. :D Keeping Combat Rifle for bosses, but I'm thinking of ditching that as well, damn thing is taking my inventory space.

Is there any way of tracking your play time on PS3?

I think I'm ready to leave Detroit. I'm assuming you can return later, since Sarif HQ is there...

I think it's crazy that some of you guys are beating the game at around 15 hours. Maybe I'm just really slow but I just finished
the police station mission
and I've played for about 10 hours. There is just so much to do and see.

MrCookiepants said:
Is there any way of tracking your play time on PS3?
No, and it's really annoying.

Ken

Castor Krieg said:
Thanks, never noticed that one.

As I like to sell everything, and I'm swimming in energy bars, I decided to just roll with Tranq Rifle and Knockdowns. :D Keeping Combat Rifle for bosses, but I'm thinking of ditching that as well, damn thing is taking my inventory space.
Typhoon augment is a great boss killer, and you only need inventory space for the ammo. However, it does make every boss fight ridiculously easy and will cost you two to three PRAXIS points.

Last night I realized that it's pretty important to have some sort of direction with how you augment Jensen instead of going for a jack-of-all-trades approach. I was punished pretty badly for the augmenting decisions I've made so far. Here's the story: (spoilers for second story mission)

At this point in the game I had put Praxis points towards the cone of vision, cloak, and level 2 hacking augs. I went to the Police Station and was unable to convince the guy at the desk to let me in so I had to go outside and look for a secret route in. First I found the electric floor route which I couldn't take because I didn't have the skin aug. I then walked over to the other side of the alley where the fence is but I couldn't stack the dumpsters to get over that because I didn't have the heavy lifting aug. Off to the sewers. When I got to the door that lets you out of the sewers in the alley behind the police station I was greeted by a level 3 security hatch. My hacking skills were only level 2. So basically I was screwed.

I ended up going back to the main entrance and walking straight in the front door using invisibility. Unfortunately I had to do this after "alarming" the guard at the main door to my presence because I could only go invisible for a few seconds so I then had to wait while they looked around confused for awhile. I made it through the entire police station eventually but it was not pretty and it involved lots of re-loaded saves thanks to the fairly underdeveloped stealth based build I was using.

Anyway I now realize how important it is to invest in some augs that open up alternate paths. Hacking level 5, here I come.

Oh my goooooood this game is so ridiculously good. Surpassing the preview build something fierce. Been playing it for three hours now and I'm having a real hard time pulling myself away from the game to eat food at stuff.

I'm playing on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty with ALL of the visual/gameplay aids turned off, including the reticle display. This actually makes it so that first person combat is more beneficial than standing in cover trying to pick people off in third person view, because there are no iron sights when firing from cover. Anyone disliking the Gears of War type of gunplay should definitely try it this way. Input lag and load times aren't that bad at all post-patch for me. I'm forcing triple buffering via d3doverrider with v-sync/TB turned off in-game. No tearing, just a tiny touch of input lag. It's okay considering the game isn't all that hard when it comes to fps skills.

I've yet to get past the point where I stopped playing the preview build (due to load times and crashes) but thus far I've been exploring every nook and cranny without any item highlighting and I've been having a blast. Already looking to be my GOTY which is no small feat considering all the ridiculously good releases we've had this year.

Ken

The_Darkest_Red said:
Last night I realized that it's pretty important to have some sort of direction with how you augment Jensen instead of going for a jack-of-all-trades approach. I was punished pretty badly for the augmenting decisions I've made so far. Here's the story: (spoilers for second story mission)
[/spoiler]

Anyway I now realize how important it is to invest in some augs that open up alternate paths. Hacking level 5, here I come.
Things like this made me wish there were more side quests to allow players a chance to get more PRAXIS points to get out of a pinch. I had a situation later in the game where I couldn't complete a hack, ran out of hacking items, had no PRAXIS, and not enough money for a PRAXIS kit for Hacking: Stealth. Eventually got the money from completing a sub-quest but not in the way I wanted to complete it.

The_Darkest_Red said:

At this point in the game I had put Praxis points towards the cone of vision, cloak, and level 2 hacking augs. I went to the Police Station and was unable to convince the guy at the desk to let me in so I had to go outside and look for a secret route in. First I found the electric floor route which I couldn't take because I didn't have the skin aug. I then walked over to the other side of the alley where the fence is but I couldn't stack the dumpsters to get over that because I didn't have the heavy lifting aug. Off to the sewers. When I got to the door that lets you out of the sewers in the alley behind the police station I was greeted by a level 3 security hatch. My hacking skills were only level 2. So basically I was screwed.

I ended up going back to the main entrance and walking straight in the front door using invisibility. Unfortunately I had to do this after "alarming" the guard at the main door to my presence because I could only go invisible for a few seconds so I then had to wait while they looked around confused for awhile. I made it through the entire police station eventually but it was not pretty and it involved lots of re-loaded saves thanks to the fairly underdeveloped stealth based build I was using.

It really had nothing to do with your choice of augs, just your failure to convince him to let you in. I was able to do it without the social enhancer. You would have had no trouble if you reloaded your save and tried again there. :p

The_Darkest_Red said:

There's also
a way in through the sewer, and also a fire escape I believe, though that may be behind the fence.

Dude it was cemented as my game of the gen after I jumped into the Detroit hub. Huge waves of nostalgia hit me.

Only games I would put close to it this gen would be STALKER and uh......uhh...Batman? They obviously had to make a few changes to suit this gen but the dev team also showed that they respected the first game a lot.

With this in mind Thief 4 will be very promising. They have my wallet.

edit: and whoever hasn't jumped on board yet...turn off object highlighting! and damn that intro is so good.

Top Bottom