• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

CaLe

Anyone knows if I will have any trouble registering the steam code in my European Collector's Edition, considering that I live in North America ?

Anyone here bought the Collector's Edition and is in North America..?

Thanks

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'm only up to the second hub and I've completed every side quest so far. I can't imagine how much shorter my play-through would be if I was just skipping them all. You get a ton of cool weapons, money, and XP for doing them, and it fleshes out the universe quite a bit.
To me the side-quests in HR are truly what "side-quests" should be. They are quests just like the regular story-based quests but the only difference is that they are optional because they don't push the main story forward. There isn't some massive drop in quality just because they are on the side, and that really goes a long way towards making them enjoyable and interesting. I honestly don't know if I've played a game with better side-quests.

Then again, I've only played 2 so far so my opinion could change. I have a feeling it won't, though.

Derrick01

Banned
Wallach said:
Can't be much worse than the original Deus Ex in this regard, haha.

That much is true, but there were many areas that were much better hidden in that game than in here.

I'm on (location spoiler)
montreal
and I'm still enjoying it as a whole. Someone told me I was only about 60% done so I expect to get even more powerful if the xp keeps flowing like it has.

Derrick01 said:
I've done all of that from the start. It's not combat that's hard as I play stealthy anyway, I'm just too overpowered because of all the experience and gear I got from exploring really well.

The game is woefully unbalanced in favor of forgiveness and abundance. Ideally the choices you make with respect to your character would limit your opportunities to fully turn out the levels (e.g. if you choose punch through walls you get locked out of lifting heavy objects), but since there aren't any tradeoffs you can basically get everywhere and find everything fairly easily.

Man, I'm doing the early
Cloak & Dagger
sidequest in Detroit. Is it possible to
get into that gang turf without being noticed? Well, of course it is, but how?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
tjohn86 said:
Sucks I can't do one side quest in detroit after going on the helicopter to the fema base. They didnt really warn me..
The sidequest has to do with the mission you just left for. You are simply given some info that helps on the mission. Seeing as that you finish the mission before you return to Detroit, there is absolutely no reason to have the sidequest available afterwards.

Glass Rebel said:
Man, I'm doing the early
Cloak & Dagger
It's all about patience.

I'm picking this up tonight, any tips on how I should go about playing it? I've read that people have been turning off highlights, but then that affects some augs? Never played the previous games btw.

Ourobolus

Banned
Glass Rebel said:
Man, I'm doing the early
Cloak & Dagger
The way I did it was to
climb up a fire escape thats directly to the left of the building in front of you (if you're standing next to Jenny and looking at the way into Derelict Row). On top, you'll end up on a roof looking over an alley with a hole in the wall of the building across from you. I couldn't make the jump (I didn't have the aug), but you can hug the wall to the left and leap across some air conditioners to make it to the fire escape across the alley. Then just drop down behind the thugs. After that you should just be able to sneak/takedown your way through the area.

T Ghost

boredofcanada said:
and thats why i preorder stuff. happy hunting!

Yeah, I pre-order when I actually want the collector's edition of something although lately (last 2 years or so) pre-ordering special editions was really not necessary around Tampa Bay. Best Buy always had stock for a week or two in the worst cases.

With the specific case of Deus Ex:HR I didn't believe at all that EIDOS was going to pull up something that would be worthy to cut into my backlog line, specially with the publisher that they got for this one. Then the reviews came up and I was like "Fuuu! Deus Ex IS back! Gotta get this shite!"

But the 360's version is really good. I played the tutorial mission and the first two mission. By now my opinion is that the graphics are really dated, even on PC (judging by the screenshots on this topic). After playing LA Noire is really hard to look at the faces on Deus Ex. The characters and dialogs I found to be mediocre at best for me with the voice over seriously uninspired. The story is also so, so. Stealth game Mechanics are fun and the combination of stealth and hacking is really interesting. Don't know if it will hold my attention for 40 hours with the rest being so mediocre. I'm excited to keep playing but still not sure that I'll not be bored of it in 10 hours of playing it. Resuming it, if I had gameflyed it before buying, I wouldn't keep it.

Edit: Just clarifying, about the characters, I'm talking here about the intelectual and psychological part of the character and not the art of it. The character art I found to be astonishing. Actually I loved the game's art direction and thematic. About the story what I didn't like (for the 2 hours I played by now, probably gets better) is the narrative. The social critique part also pleased me. A lot. Finally I'm not analyzing the game story, dialog and characters as a video game but as an entertainment piece. When analyzing it as a video game only is all really above average in these departments.

Mindman

I have a question for anyone who has been to Jensen's apartment.

Where is the "hole in the wall" that the e-mail on his computer talks about? I checked every nook and cranny, and I can't find it for the life of me...

33-Hit-Combo said:
I'm picking this up tonight, any tips on how I should go about playing it? I've read that people have been turning off highlights, but then that affects some augs? Never played the previous games btw.
Highlights really aren't that bad unless you're a Deus Ex purist so I would keep them on unless you find them really bothering you after awhile. Basically all they do is show you that it's possible to interact with an item so you don't waste your time mashing the interact button on every door that can't be opened.

As far as how to play I would suggest thinking about how you want to play the game and upgrading the augments that suit that playstyle. Generally speaking it's a good idea to get some augs early that help you access optional paths so that you won't be restricted to one, such as higher jumping, heavy lifting, or upgraded hacking (everything that you can hack has a difficulty from 1-5 and if your skill isn't high enough you can't even attempt to hack it). The combat/stealth focused augs are of secondary importance very early on to the exploration type, in my opinion, especially if you want to see a lot of the game's hidden content.

This is all based on my experience with the first 10 hours or so of the game so take it with a grain of salt.

Deadbeat

Banned
Mindman said:

Where is the "hole in the wall" that the e-mail on his computer talks about? I checked every nook and cranny, and I can't find it for the life of me...
As soon as you walk into the house near the doorway into the kitchen theres a security terminal on the wall. That opens the secret behind the TV

Ourobolus

Banned
Mindman said:

This took me FOREVER and I felt stupid.
There's a terminal on the wall just outside the kitchen.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man I just checked out the pre-order packs and when they put those up for purchase I'm grabbing them for a straight up FPS run of the game. That shottie looks sexual.

33-Hit-Combo said:
Thanks, will try to aim for exploration augs then! Makes sense for me I guess as I love searching.
Yeah I definitely had to learn the hard way because I put my first 5 or so Praxis points into stealthy augs and I was constantly finding interesting looking paths that I couldn't access. It makes the game a lot tougher early on because not only are you blocked out of cool optional paths, you have to somehow find a way to get through the "obvious" ones that generally have a ton more enemies.

tjohn86

Stallion Free said:
The sidequest has to do with the mission you just left for. You are simply given some info that helps on the mission. Seeing as that you finish the mission before you return to Detroit, there is absolutely no reason to have the sidequest available afterwards.

It's all about patience.

Is there an achievement tied to the quest?

Is steam forgetting play hours for anyone else? Not a huge deal but I kind of like keeping track.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
tjohn86 said:
Is there an achievement tied to the quest?
Nope, you literally go to a place and talk to someone for about 1 minute.

Though all real side quests have two achievements for them so you have probably missed some of those already (one for completion and one for doing things a certain way).

has anyone confirmed yet if the DLC will show up in the game if you downloaded it AFTER starting your game?

i still don't know where my Tactical pack is. im hoping it's at my apartment, but i don't know where that is yet.

Xander51

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
has anyone confirmed yet if the DLC will show up in the game if you downloaded it AFTER starting your game?

i still don't know where my Tactical pack is. im hoping it's at my apartment, but i don't know where that is yet.

The DLC pops the first time you're in the helicopter/VTOL thing. If you're past that point, you might be screwed.

Dunlop

Xander51 said:
The DLC pops the first time you're in the helicopter/VTOL thing. If you're past that point, you might be screwed.

crap, I think I literally installed it after that point. Explains why I can't find it, lol

Gvaz

Banned
vGFNq.jpg

Did I post this already? Worth a repost if I did.

Dunlop said:
crap, I think I literally installed it after that point. Explains why I can't find it, lol

same here.

this question seems to be the killer of threads. on the eidos forums people are basically saying the same thing "i think, but i dunno". :\

some are saying "yeah but i think you can find the sniper rifle elsewhere in the game." the thing about that, is that the sniper rifle in the DLC is different from the regular sniper rifle in the game. so either those people don't know that, or you actually CAN find it later in the game. i wanted this playthrough to be my "silent assassin" game, and im going to be pissed if i end up wasting an entire playthrough. im already far enough into the game that it would be a chore to start over, and it would sort of unfairly allow me to correct some mistakes. plus i REALLY don't want to do all of that hacking over again...

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Finally got to play it for a bit last night before bed.

So far, I'm really enjoying it, although I'm still in the first mission. lol.

I've been alternating between stealthy and gunplay, opting to try and take out enemies non-lethally, and when the shit hits the fan, start bustin' caps.

I'm playing the PS3 version, and the visuals are solid, as is the framerate. I'm also not really seeing any big issue with load times, either. At the most, my load times have been anywhere from 10-20 seconds so far, but I am at the beginning of the game still.

If I didn't have to go to work, I'd have stayed up way longer playing it. Thank god it's Friday. I plan on spending the weekend getting sucked into it. I'll probably send Crysis 2 back to Gamefly, since I can't see myself touching for a while, and I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping to.

Xander51

Dunlop said:

Yeah, at the end of the first helicopter sequence there's a little pop-up box that says "Thanks for pre-ordering the game, here's your DLC!" I think that's the only time it can happen.

Xander51 said:
Yeah, at the end of the first helicopter sequence there's a little pop-up box that says "Thanks for pre-ordering the game, here's your DLC!" I think that's the only time it can happen.

wow that's some bullshit. i found the rifle on the DE wiki and it says it's only through preordering. doesn't mention if you can find it elsewhere in the game though. (ie: laying in your apartment or something)

wow that's some bullshit. i found the rifle on the DE wiki and it says it's only through preordering. doesn't mention if you can find it elsewhere in the game though. (ie: laying in your apartment or something)
The strategy guide I have shows certain weapons as "DLC Exclusives" so I'm guessing there is no way to get them in the game. Off the top of my head I remember the silenced sniper rifle, the double-barrel shotgun, and the grenade launcher.

Solo

DennisK4 said:
Sounds like the way to go
for Real Man Gamers

I am getting my new PC parts on monday so I guess it makes no sense starting the game now.

Looooooooong ass weekend ahead.....

Dennis playing DXHR before The Wtcher 2? Tsk.

rochegifkq9b.gif

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you slap a silencer on the regular sniper rifle in the game? I could literally have a silenced sniper rifle within 5 or so minutes of entering Detroit.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
wutwutwut said:
Did anybody else (second trip to Hengsha spoilers)
save Faridah
?
Revolver + Explosive Bullets.

Get down right next to the copter and draw their fire.

EMP Grenade takes out robot in one go.

If you didn't come prepared, T.S. The game rewards it massively once you get in a tight spot.

Question

What does the Lazer rifle do? Is it actually worth carrying around than lets say a combat rifle, PEGs, or Heavy?

wutwutwut

Stallion Free said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you slap a silencer on the regular sniper rifle in the game?
Apparently not. I don't know, I'm more than midway through the game and I haven't used the sniper rifle so far.

Zeth

Why can't I combine the armor piercing upgrade with my 10mm pistol?

The upgrade description specifically says it's for the 10mm. Even the 10mm description says it supports the upgrade.

edit: maybe there are two different 10mm brands? the upgrade on the 10mm shows a black icon, my upgrade is red from the gas station in detroit.

wutwutwut

shintoki said:
Revolver + Explosive Bullets.

Get down right next to the copter and draw their fire.

EMP Grenade takes out robot in one go.

If you didn't come prepared, T.S.
Heh. I wasn't prepared for it at all. Took me a few tries, but I ran to the right, used my stun gun to take 3 guys down, threw an EMP grenade when the robot arrived (taking it out along with another 4-5 people I think, took out the one remaining heavy rifle guy with a takedown, then used my tranq gun for the snipers. Felt good, man.)

Dunlop

some are saying "yeah but i think you can find the sniper rifle elsewhere in the game.

you can, I just got one

Why can't I combine the armor piercing upgrade with my 10mm pistol?

The upgrade description specifically says it's for the 10mm. Even the 10mm description says it supports the upgrade.

Mine has the upgrade

If anyone is interested in the Explosive Mission Pack, I have a spare code for the PC that I'd like to trade for the Tactical Enhancement Pack.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

Glass Rebel said:
Man, I'm doing the early
Cloak & Dagger

There's at least 4 different ways I've found:

building adjecent to the territory; climb up the fire escape, break through a wall in the upper floor, and then descend the elevator shaft. The landing augmentation is required for this, the wall can be punched through or blown up with explosives. Gets you past many of the gang members, but you still have to sneak your way to the building

there's a sewer that goes through the territory and exits at the building you're trying to locate. There are gang members in the sewer though. Not sure where the entrance/beginning of that sewer is, but keep your eyes open.

You can stealth/takedown your way through the main territory area. There's various paths here too, some inside of adjacent buildings, there's a vent that hidden by a moveable box (requires strength augment or you can destroy the box); The vent takes you into an abandoned building, but I havent explored it because I was missing some required augment

Across frome the chiron building there's a maintenance hallway, same one you find omalley's crossbow in, where you can move/destroy heavy crates to open a path into the territory. There's still gang members patrolling that area as well.

Solo

unpurposed said:
If anyone is interested in the Explosive Mission Pack, I have a spare code for the PC that I'd like to trade for the Tactical Enhancement Pack.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

Ignore my PM, I didn't finish reading your sentence. I gots nuffin to trade :(

Top Bottom