• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

ctrayne

charsace said:
Its mind boggling to me. He's passing up one of the best games of this generation because of a gold post process filter.
I don't know that it's even a filter, it's just how certain areas are designed. There are some white, blue, gray, etc. areas too. But I am totally in agreement with your post.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
pirateben said:
I've just reached the first boss. Question for those who have got further... will I be able to return to Detroit hub after the Highland Park section? I still have one loose end to tie up there.
Yes. You have to actually go talk to someone before going to China.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Glass Rebel said:
Man, I'm doing the early
Cloak & Dagger
sidequest in Detroit. Is it possible to
get into that gang turf without being noticed? Well, of course it is, but how?
Easiest way to do this is to
sneak through that tube next to the front gate and sneak your way to a nearby sewer grate. Don't worry all that much about being spotted here, because people will shout at you but will not go hostile right away if you're seen. Once you're in the sewer, avoid all enemies as you go through it (go into the water and crawl under the bridges if you need to) and go up the ladder on the other side. There is a little hole blocked by barrels once you're back on the surface, and the cache is right there.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
OK so this game didn't grip me from the start, but I kept on playing in my first session even though I wasn't feeling it. I didn't want to stop for some reason. Now I'm hooked, I just stopped playing and don't want to do anything else. Jumping back in

wutwutwut

pirateben said:
I've just reached the first boss. Question for those who have got further... will I be able to return to Detroit hub after the Highland Park section? I still have one loose end to tie up there.
The game warns you if leaving an area will cause unfinished sidequests to be cancelled, don't worry.

wutwutwut

Akuun said:
Easiest way to do this is to
sneak through that tube next to the front gate and sneak your way to a nearby sewer grate. Don't worry all that much about being spotted here, because people will shout at you but will not go hostile right away if you're seen. Once you're in the sewer, avoid all enemies as you go through it (go into the water and crawl under the bridges if you need to) and go up the ladder on the other side. There is a little hole blocked by barrels once you're back on the surface, and the cache is right there.
Yeah.
BTW, there's a free praxis kit behind a weak wall near the sewer exit closest to the cache.

Ferrio

Banned
So someone earlier said they completed the game in 30 hours, t hat's longer than I was expecting. This seem to be the norm?

MrCompletely said:
There's at least 4 different ways I've found:

building adjecent to the territory; climb up the fire escape, break through a wall in the upper floor, and then descend the elevator shaft. The landing augmentation is required for this, the wall can be punched through or blown up with explosives. Gets you past many of the gang members, but you still have to sneak your way to the building

there's a sewer that goes through the territory and exits at the building you're trying to locate. There are gang members in the sewer though. Not sure where the entrance/beginning of that sewer is, but keep your eyes open.

You can stealth/takedown your way through the main territory area. There's various paths here too, some inside of adjacent buildings, there's a vent that hidden by a moveable box (requires strength augment or you can destroy the box); The vent takes you into an abandoned building, but I havent explored it because I was missing some required augment

Across frome the chiron building there's a maintenance hallway, same one you find omalley's crossbow in, where you can move/destroy heavy crates to open a path into the territory. There's still gang members patrolling that area as well.

Ahh, I tried the first and the last one. Don't have the augs yet though. Oh well. Thanks though!

Ferrio said:
So someone earlier said they completed the game in 30 hours, t hat's longer than I was expecting. This seem to be the norm?
It really just depends on your playstyle. Some people have beaten the game in 15 hours or so while some reviews have stated that the game could take 40-45 for those who are more meticulous and interested in seeing everything. If you do all of the side-quests and take the time to explore some of the extra areas in the hubs I would estimate that the game will take you 30 hours or so to beat. I haven't made it out of the first hub and I've already played for around 10 hours, and I honestly don't feel like I'm going all out in terms of exploration.

The scope of this game is very impressive.

Stallion Free said:
I'm glad the piss filter turned out as well as it did. I haven't read a single complaint from people who are actually playing the game. I certainly have no complaints.

I'm glad I could eventually get it working. The game just looks bad without it, too day glo. It's like when you see RE5 with that crappy ENBSeries mod that removes the filter.

It took me 30 hours dead, and that was with most (if not all) of the side-quests done.

Still, that's a long game, and it's rare for one to engross me that much. Typically, I can only play an hour or two at most of a game in one day. For this, 30 hours in 4 days. Pretty sad actually! :D

Superimposer

In Cloak and Daggers, how do you
get into the alley where O'Malley is? There's a corridor leading there but the floor is electrically charged.

PaulLFC

It's crashed again for me :( this time while trying to change the FOV. My brother says it's not crashed once for him though, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I want to play this game, just wish it'd work for longer than about 10 minutes before crashing.

wutwutwut

Superimposer said:
get into the alley where O'Malley is? There's a corridor leading there but the floor is electrically charged.
That's not the only way through.
Try piling some boxes to jump over a fence.

Zeliard

Stallion Free said:
I'm glad the piss filter turned out as well as it did. I haven't read a single complaint from people who are actually playing the game. I certainly have no complaints.

"Piss filter" complaints have been laughably overblown. It's a critical part not only of the art style but also helps convey a major theme of the story, and you would only sap the game of atmosphere if you somehow just stripped it out. Plus it helps the game stand out as a piece of cyberpunk when it could have easily been hugely derivative in that area, especially visually.

I'm pretty pleased that I didn't get the augmented edition now that I know the items weren't supposed to be in there. It's just another case of giving out cheats as a pre-order bonus (DA:O is another example). Though I am sorta pissed that I won't be seeing det-packs anytime soon, guess I'll get that punching aug after all!

And that silverback shotgun was nice...

But eh, better this way. Or can you disable the pre-order bonuses somehow?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Superimposer said:
There's a sewer grate near the exit of the train station thing. Use the sewers there.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
OK, question about the a possible side mission in Detroit
After I left the police station I got a call from the tech guy who said that my old partner wanted to contact me. He said that she would be waiting for me on some street. Problem is, I can't remember her name or what the name of the street was. I didn't get a new side mission pop up in my journal or any indicator on my map either. Where the hell is this chick? I have looked everywhere!

purg3

slept with Malkin
Superimposer said:
you can use boxes to get through there. Or if you gave the strength aug you can stack dumpsters in the alley next to the police station to get over the fence. I did the latter.

jonah777

Superimposer said:

Boxes are your friend.
There's a moveable box in the corridor along with one right outside the entrance near a car. Use those two to basically build a path over the water. Alternate the boxes and move over to the next until you clear the corner, then you can turn the electricity off via a switch.

Superimposer

wutwutwut said:

I saw the fence and put a dumpster up against it but couldn't jump high enough. Couldn't see any boxes.

Solo, thanks, found a sewer grate but [/spoiler] there were some hostile punks in there [/spoiler]. Don't know if it's the right one, I might have another look around.

Funny people complaining about that filter... I haven't bought the game yet but one of the main reasons I'm interested in it is because of its distinct atmosphere. The filter really seems to be contributing to the enjoyable ambiance.

Solo

Superimposer said:
Solo, thanks, found a sewer grate but
there were some hostile punks in there
. Don't know if it's the right one, I might have another look around.

Thats the right one.

blackflag

This game is great fun but buggy as hell. I'm on the
Motherly Ties
side quest and it is bugged to all hell. Once I turn in the evidence, I get the dialog wheel with no options and can't continue. I've read that it is because you have to
meet with the detective in the police station
but since i snuck in during the mission there, he is now no longer there and the quest actually says I've completed all steps.

Seems like an interesting sidequest and there's no way I'm skipping it or starting over. I think I'm screwed until they patch it. Very annoyed.

wutwutwut

Superimposer said:
I saw the fence and put a dumpster up against it but couldn't jump high enough. Couldn't see any boxes.
You could either get the jumping aug or carry one from a bit away. I'm pretty sure there's one in that tunnel nearby.

Government-man said:
Funny people complaining about that filter... I haven't bought the game yet but one of the main reasons I'm interested in it is because of its distinct atmosphere. The filter really seems to be contributing to the enjoyable ambiance.

indeed. it's also not overbearing. there are actually TONS of places that don't have any *piss* at all. after playing the game for a long session the other night i started noticing gold/dark color variations in my apartment. went into my bedroom and thought "hmm, could use a little more gold and black..."

Wait a cotton pickin' minute, I haven't played Deus Ex in a while so I have a question about the post-credits video:
how does it reveal that Megan is JC's father?

blackflag said:
Motherly Ties
side quest and it is bugged to all hell. Once I turn in the evidence, I get the dialog wheel with no options and can't continue. I've read that it is because you have to
but since i snuck in during the mission there, he is now no longer there and the quest actually says I've completed all steps.

Seems like an interesting sidequest and there's no way I'm skipping it or starting over. I think I'm screwed until they patch it. Very annoyed.

I have the same exact issue :(

Zeliard

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
indeed. it's also not overbearing. there are actually TONS of places that don't have any *piss* at all. after playing the game for a long session the other night i started noticing gold/dark color variations in my apartment. went into my bedroom and thought "hmm, could use a little more gold and black..."

Yeah it also helps places stand out which don't have a lot of gold, like the LIMB clinics and their gleaming white.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
charsace said:
Glad you've seen the light. I was really pissing off in the threads prior to the games release that so many people were harping it even though almost everyone that played the leak either liked it or had no problems with it.
Oh I have always liked piss-filters (like the one in RE5) and I knew I would appreciate it's artistic use here.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I'm glad I could eventually get it working. The game just looks bad without it, too day glo. It's like when you see RE5 with that crappy ENBSeries mod that removes the filter.
ENB made RE5 look like utter shit and it would make this look like utter shit too.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
wutwutwut said:
Yeah.
BTW, there's a free praxis kit behind a weak wall near the sewer exit closest to the cache.
Oh snap, I'm gonna have to go back there now.

Also, for the main territory area,
That vent hidden by the tall crate leads to the rocket launcher the gangsters were talking about. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens later, since I stole it. :D

Philthy

blackflag said:
Motherly Ties

The funny thing with having both these quests at the same time, you don't need to sneak when he IS there, and you basically have free reign to go anywhere. He is all "OKAY FINE, i'll tell all the guys you have access to the building." So I completed both missions by simply walking in and out. lol

ukas

jonah777 said:
Boxes are your friend.
There's a moveable box in the corridor along with one right outside the entrance near a car. Use those two to basically build a path over the water. Alternate the boxes and move over to the next until you clear the corner, then you can turn the electricity off via a switch.
I honestly don't think I've seen a game that has more boxes laying around.

blahblah...blah said:
Wait a cotton pickin' minute, I haven't played Deus Ex in a while so I have a question about the post-credits video:
how does it reveal that Megan is JC's father?

Who said that? I thought it just implied that Adam was the basis for the creation of the Dentons.

blackflag

Philthy said:
The funny thing with having both these quests at the same time, you don't need to sneak when he IS there, and you basically have free reign to go anywhere. He is all "OKAY FINE, i'll tell all the guys you have access to the building." So I completed both missions by simply walking in and out. lol

Lol yeah I know that now but now it's too late :(

wutwutwut said:

You can also hack a backdoor to the alley on the second floor of the police department, I believe it's level 3.

man I love this game.

Drakken

Anyone else super annoyed that you can't switch off takedown animations? They were cool at first, but now that I've seen them all, I wish the game would just switch into 3rd person a la MGS (iirc). When you're sneaking around and taking guys out one by one, I find going into the animations really pulls you out of the experience (plus most of the ways he takes people out are the opposite of being stealthy).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
blackflag said:
Motherly Ties

Weird. Talking to the detective was the very last thing I did on that quest and everything worked for me.

wutwutwut said:
The game warns you if leaving an area will cause unfinished sidequests to be cancelled, don't worry.
Brilliant!

charsace

Zeliard said:
Yeah it also helps places stand out which don't have a lot of gold, like the LIMB clinics and their gleaming white.
The bright whiteness and sterile look of the limb clinics makes them creepy. And they get even creepier when you talk to the customers in them.

This game is some great cyber punk. I love that they are using the genre to touch on some current issues and to focus on some that people don't really attention to.

Dan said:
Weird. Talking to the detective was the very last thing I did on that quest and everything worked for me.
I wonder what my chances are of being screwed. I stopped playing last night after
completing all of the objectives associated with this quest and now it's telling me to return to Megan's mom. Who is the detective that you have to talk to? I talked to two guys when I first went into the police station but I got nothing out of either of them. After that I ended up killing most of the guys in the building so I don't know if I can do what I need to do or not...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
revolverjgw said:
The music is god-tier, the main theme makes my heart rate go to like 200

Such great music in this game. Unfortunately, the "soundtrack" that game with the Augmented Edition is crap. Each song is like 1:30 - 2:00 in length, and there are only twelve of them. It feels more like a collection of samples.

alba

Little is the new Big
Superimposer said:

Solo, thanks, found a sewer grate but
there were some hostile punks in there
. Don't know if it's the right one, I might have another look around.

Turn around, go to your right and there are some boxes right in front of you a little further

The_Darkest_Red said:
I wonder what my chances are of being screwed. I stopped playing last night after
completing all of the objectives associated with this quest and now it's telling me to return to Megan's mom. Who is the detective that you have to talk to? I talked to two guys when I first went into the police station but I got nothing out of either of them. After that I ended up killing most of the guys in the building so I don't know if I can do what I need to do or not...

You need to hack Chet Wagner's computer and look at emails, then you need to confront him. Or you can confront him and use social enhancement. You might be screwed if you killed most of them

cackhyena

Wait, I missed that praxis kit by the cache, I think. Can i go back to the Detroit hub later if I already moved on to Hengsha..or however it's spelled?

Top Bottom