• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Mindman

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
it's also worth noting that no matter what version you get, the cutscenes are always crappy and overcompressed.

Actually, not on the 360 version, ironically enough...

Zeliard

charsace said:
Damn dude you are vicious. There is a side quest that branches and you get it as a reward.

If it's the reward for
getting him his extortion money for that aug chip he gave the girl then I wasn't getting it anyway. I ended up returning the actual chip to him instead of money, leaving that girl socially retarded in the process, and he didn't give me anything in return. So I took it from him.
Jensen don't play that shit.

ok so i've been iching for a new rpg. was thinking either getting this or fallout NV. I want to know what everyone's impression of this game is so far? thanks!

Mindman said:
Actually, not on the 360 version, ironically enough...
You have any kind of proof of this?

macfoshizzle said:
ok so i've been iching for a new rpg. was thinking either getting this or fallout NV. I want to know what everyone's impression of this game is so far? thanks!
Most people are loving it. I would definitely suggest this game over NV but that may come down to personal preference. I haven't played NV but I played a lot of Fallout 3 and I like HR a great deal more. It's probably the best game I've played so far this year.

Ferrio

Banned
macfoshizzle said:

This by a mile.

Eusis

macfoshizzle said:
You waited this long on New Vegas, I'd say wait longer and see if they pull out a GotY version once the final DLC is out. Either way though I think Deus Ex is probably the better game, certainly it's the better built of the two.

Mindman

The_Darkest_Red said:
You have any kind of proof of this?

Most people are loving it. I would definitely suggest this game over NV but that may come down to personal preference.

No I don't, sorry.

Just playing the 360 version, I'm always thinking, what are people complaining about? It's literally difficult to spot compression on the 360 cut scenes. They are very nice looking.

Wallach

macfoshizzle said:

I'm not going to put this game above NV yet, but it would make more sense to get this if you're buying right now. It isn't going to see a price drop for a while since it just came out, whereas NV is likely going to have a DLC-included GOTY edition coming out in 2-3 months for the holiday season. Would get DE:HR now and NV later when GOTY lands.

ctrayne

They're different styles of RPG for sure, but I would also recommend this over New Vegas. That's not to say NV is bad though - far from it.

Lakitu said:
Not to my recollection. I did sell some. Although, who knows. I may have accidentally while I've tinkered with the inventory. Would it wear off?

Lay off the beer as this game models alcoholism. so prepare for a long haul towards recovery. They hold an intervention for you in the Sarif Industries cafeteria.

Enco

Really enjoying this. The atmosphere is great.

The cut scenes are awful though. Improved from DE1 a bit but damn they can't make good cut scenes to save their lives. They should have stuck with the in game engine for cut scenes if they're that awful at making watchable normal cut scenes.

Eusis

ctrayne said:
They're different styles of RPG for sure, but I would also recommend this over New Vegas. That's not to say NV is bad though - far from it.
Definitely. Check out New Vegas eventually, especially if you have any plans to get a solid gaming-capable PC (or already have one), it's just now's probably not the best time.

Wallach said:
I'm not going to put this game above NV yet, but it would make more sense to get this if you're buying right now. It isn't going to see a price drop for a while since it just came out, whereas NV is likely going to have a DLC-included GOTY edition coming out in 2-3 months for the holiday season. Would get DE:HR now and NV later when GOTY lands.
The guy with the Fallout avatar just told you to get HR. I think that should just about settle it.

Dambrosi

Banned
There was a guy on Channel 4 News in the UK just now, who is a documentary film maker who lost his right eye in a shooting accident. He got it replaced with a video camera, and although he can't see through it - yet - it's hooked up to a small recorder/monitor, and records everything he looks at. The "vid-eye" is even mirror-coated, and it looks RAD AS FUCK.

He also plugged a new documentary at the end of his interview with Zeinab Bedawi (sic?), and I'll give you one guess where you can find it.

:p

Lakitu

st5fu
Looks like some others have had their HUDs disappearing as well. It seems to be a bug that has affected a few. The only way to do it is to either restart the game or go to a previous save that has it. I have 2 save slots... my current one and the one when I finally get into Detroit. I'm going to lose about 3 hours game time. Damn.

I'm going to be so paranoid now and alternate between saves.

Just finished it. Pretty good. A solid 8/10 I'd say. Didn't care much for the story or the characters but the gameplay was pretty good aside from the boss battles. The final boss was about the easiest thing ever.

macfoshizzle said:

If you want a RPG get New Vegas. If you want a stealth/shooter get this.

Damn, finding myself hoarding points. Got 6 to spare, hacking is done except turrets/robots (worth it?), I guess I can go Cloak, and larger inventory.

Confidence Man said:

BS.

I really dig the different outcomes that quests can have. And even completely optional things will have repercussions, even in NPC dialogue. Really cool stuff. Haven't left Detroit yet but there's still so much I have to do and explore.

Mindman said:
No I don't, sorry.

Just playing the 360 version, I'm always thinking, what are people complaining about? It's literally difficult to spot compression on the 360 cut scenes. They are very nice looking.

I know if I had this on my 360/TV the videos would look much better too, just because it would hide the compression much better than me sitting right in front of my 1920x1080p computer screen.

It would be nice to get some accurate comparisons, but I personally find it hard to believe the 360 has the best videos when it has the least amount of space available.

Balehead

Doing the first mission on average difficulty. I'm liking how open this game seems to be, I'm just sneaking around and the place feels like an actual building. I hope the game keeps this up.

It's quite plain looking though, most characters seem to look terrible and the voice acting/dialogue is lacking. I mean what's with all the awkward pauses, just trying to make sure we really seriously get that "the subject we just talked about" is an annoying subject to the main character. And there seems to be next to no ambient sounds in the game world, seems scary silent with the music humming in the background. Maybe it's my setup.

Zeliard

disappeared said:
I really dig the different outcomes that quests can have. And even completely optional things will have repercussions, even in NPC dialogue. Really cool stuff. Haven't left Detroit yet but there's still so much I have to do and explore.

Wait till you get to Hengsha. I think there's where the game really starts to shine. Detroit is cool but I have a few issues with it, mainly the overall layout, which I don't really like. Hengsha is much more enjoyable to traverse (especially with some of the movement augs) and a lot more visually evocative.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
macfoshizzle said:
Human Revolution is much more polished and approachable. New Vegas feels a lot more open. It comes down to preference, really, and I'm not sure I could choose between the two.

I'd get Deus Ex for now, and get the GOTY for NV later, like other people have been saying. Thought I'd weigh in.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
The second hub is so good, the synth playing in the background is phenomenal. Eat your heart out, Jack Wall.

Also looking at the steam currently playing and it's got to be the first game I've seen that is in the top 4 that's not COD, outside of Valve games. This definitely going to sell huge on the PC platform.

Akkad said:
Yeah, just figured it out. I thought you had to unequip your weapon.
I accidentally figured it out on some random hobo and ended up brutally murdering him right in front of his friend. A minute or so later I came back to the scene and talked to the friend who was standing right beside the dead corpse. The two things he had to say to me?

1. Don't mind my friend, he's a little paranoid.

2. You seem like a nice enough guy.

Interfectum

The_Darkest_Red said:
I accidentally figured it out on some random hobo and ended up brutally murdering him right in front of his friend. A minute or so later I came back to the scene and talked to the friend who was standing right beside the dead corpse. The two things he had to say to me?

1. Don't mind my friend, he's a little paranoid.

2. You seem like a nice enough guy.

I know exactly who you are talking about. I punched that guy out too. Any bigoted comments towards augs and you get a fist to the face.

charsace

Zeliard said:
If it's the reward for
getting him his extortion money for that aug chip he gave the girl then I wasn't getting it anyway. I ended up returning the actual chip to him instead of money, leaving that girl socially retarded in the process, and he didn't give me anything in return. So I took it from him.
Jensen don't play that shit.
You can talk him into accepting a buy out so that the girl gets to keep the aug and then he gives you the praxis.

Gvaz

Banned
Confidence Man said:
12276316102565.jpg

Interfectum said:
I know exactly who you are talking about. I punched that guy out too. Any bigoted comments towards augs and you get a fist to the face.
Punching him in the face would be considered nice compared to what I did to him. Whoops!

TimmiT said:
I'm going to buy this game, is the Augmented Edition worth it? Is the making-of any good?
I haven't watched the making-of yet but I honestly think the Augmented Edition is worth it for the packaging alone (I have the PS3 version). The art-book is kind of small but it looks nice, altogether it's just a really beautiful package.

Jerk

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
Eh, I disagree. Like I said, I haven't played NV but if I was in the mood for an RPG I would much rather play HR than Fallout 3.

I thought we were talking about New Vegas?

Mrbob

I'm really digging the stealth aspect of this game, much more than the original. The combination of going into 3rd person when in cover and being able to flip around cover combined with take downs make me feel like a true bad ass. Started Highland Park and just took down those spec op dudes one by one without ever noticing me there. Not using any augmentation enhancements for stealth either at the moment. Watch their movements and strike quickly when the opportunity arises.

RPGCrazied said:
Just picked up the PS3 version. Not really a shooter fan, but I love the setting. Looks cool.

I think you are really going to enjoy this. You don't have to play the game as a shooter at all.

Zeliard

charsace said:
You can talk him into accepting a buy out so that the girl gets to keep the aug and then he gives you the praxis.

I know, I didn't actually have the 5000c at the time and wanted to see what would happen if I just gave him the chip straight up. But he started bitching and gave me nothing in return (and kept the chip) so I just knocked him out for a chuckle. I looted his body expecting nothing so it was a treat to get that Praxis kit.

And it looks like I saved the 5000, which I used to buy another Praxis kit at the LIMB clinic. :p

Jerk said:
I thought we were talking about New Vegas?
What I was trying to say (in the post you quoted) is that I would rather play HR than Fallout 3, a game that is very similar to NV based on what I've heard. For that reason I would suggest HR over NV.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I miss having a simple melee weapon like the baton from the original. I want to bust up cardboard boxes and sneak up on people and smack them in the back of the legs repeatedly.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The_Darkest_Red said:
What I was trying to say (in the post you quoted) is that I would rather play HR than Fallout 3, a game that is very similar to NV based on what I've heard. For that reason I would suggest HR over NV.
NV is a much better game than Fallout 3.

zkylon

zkylewd
TimmiT said:
I'm going to buy this game, is the Augmented Edition worth it? Is the making-of any good?
Haven't watched it yet, but they usually are just the free developer videos you can watch in Gametrailers or some site like that.

I got the Aug Edition mainly for the awesome soundtrack.

Syriel

TimmiT said:

Worth it for the soundtrack alone. It's an extra $10, so not like it'll break the bank.

Top Bottom