• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Heavy said:
Do you get the revolver in Detroit? I had found some ammo for it but sold it cause no revolver. Also, can you put a silencer on it? ^_^;

Sigh.. Icarus Landing was gonna be my next aug but now I'm thinking getting the break walls.

You can kill Zeke Sanders in the intro mission and get the revolver there.

See You Next Wednesday said:
I had to stop playing yesterday because I'm sorta stuck.

I'm at Montreal & have to get to summon elevator (where there will be more guards coming out of apparently) where there is a turret, two guards & a camera guarding it.

I tried sneaking from the back back & hacking the terminal there, but when you start to hack the terminal, you automatically expose yourself to their line of sight.

I tried shooting them, but they're bullet sponges & killing one guy not only took nearly 30 rounds of rifle ammo, but it usually is enough time for him to hit the alarm. Worse, is the 2 cloakers down the hall will join in the fight.

I didn't have the double takedown aug (this is the first time I seen a use for it) & the way the 2 cloaker guards are positioned in the hall before, it will be impossible to stealth takedown one without the other noticing. When one of them does notice, I can't kill him fast enough for him to shout so that the heavy LMGer in the previous room starts coming. When the heavy LMGer starts coming it's game over.

Before I cloaked, flanked the LMGer & whipped out my shotgun, 11 up close up shots with the shotgun & HE STILL DID NOT DIE!

In fact I was in cover & one of the guys with the regular rifles was walking towards me. I popped out of cover, got the first shot & after a total of 2 shotgun blasts to his face, I'm dead & he kills in a 1.5 seconds out of being in cover.
SHOTGUN = MOST USELESS WEAPON IN THE GAME.

Dying 8 times in basically one room from various trial & error (I'm playing on medium difficulty btw) is not fun.
Shoot in the head. Enemies are pretty armored at this point. Oh and create distraction before you hack the terminal. Don't hesitate on using tranquil and knocking a few down. I had a kill a few people before I could hack the bot.

pahamrick

Red Blaster said:
Was that silenced sniper rifle at
Tai Yong Medical
ever confirmed?

I went through that area pretty well and never came across a silenced sniper rifle. I don't have any of the DLC installed, got my copy through GMG. Needing the DLC for a silenced sniper is kinda lame, can't even attach a silencer to the normal sniper to make one.

charsace

Wallach said:
I got the revolver from the first mission. It can't be silenced, and in fact I think you can really only make it louder with explosive rounds.
A made for badass motherfuckers shouldn't be silenced.

Dizzy-4U said:
Can you use it for non-lethal takedowns?
Nope. And the finisher for it is brutal and it can knockout enemies.

ctrayne

pahamrick said:
I went through that area pretty well and never came across a silenced sniper rifle. I don't have any of the DLC installed, got my copy through GMG. Needing the DLC for a silenced sniper is kinda lame, can't even attach a silencer to the normal sniper to make one.
I do wonder if you need the DLC installed, but it is in a hard to find spot. I posted it earlier:
There is a long walkway near the beginning of the area, right after the room with the two scientists. You climb a ladder to get inside it. Walk all the way to the end of it and look around. That is where it was for me.
Check in that spot and then we'll know if you need the DLC or not.

alphaNoid

Banned
Darklord said:
Why the fuck does this game need to "complete installation" every time I close steam and go back in to play?
Steam Cloud, its saving all your game saves to their online system so that they're hosted online. If you had to reformat all of your game saves are online and you never lose them.

Stallion Free said:
I'm glad the piss filter turned out as well as it did. I haven't read a single complaint from people who are actually playing the game. I certainly have no complaints.
I NEED SCISSORS said:
The game just looks bad without it, too day glo. It's like when you see RE5 with that crappy ENBSeries mod that removes the filter.
Zeliard said:
"Piss filter" complaints have been laughably overblown. It's a critical part not only of the art style but also helps convey a major theme of the story, and you would only sap the game of atmosphere if you somehow just stripped it out. Plus it helps the game stand out as a piece of cyberpunk when it could have easily been hugely derivative in that area, especially visually.
Totttalllllly agree. I couldn't stand the "piss filter" comments pre-release....such overblown nonsense. Game is better with it for the reasons you've stated much more eloquently than I could have.

Wallach

charsace said:
A made for badass motherfuckers shouldn't be silenced.

Yeah I wouldn't put a muzzle on the noise the revolver makes. Fuck that. I want to find some of those explosive rounds though (and some real assholes to justify using them on).

syllogism

You don't necessarily need wall smash as you can destroy the walls with bullets/explosives, but they aren't highlighted if you don't have the aug, which is annoying. If you do everything you'll have way more praxis points than you need anyway so it's not a big deal to "waste" some points for convenience.

O.DOGG

pahamrick said:

No big loss, really. Going through the game without killing anyone using non-lethal takedowns and the tranq rifle/stun gun is more fun. Though these preorder DLCs are just so much bullshit. Especially for this game.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Wallach said:
Yeah I wouldn't put a muzzle on the noise the revolver makes. Fuck that. I want to find some of those explosive rounds though (and some real assholes to justify using them on).
Anonymous-X. That smug douchebag is asking for it just with that hat. Goddamn #-chan anons.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
jonah777 said:
Boxes are your friend.
There's a moveable box in the corridor along with one right outside the entrance near a car. Use those two to basically build a path over the water. Alternate the boxes and move over to the next until you clear the corner, then you can turn the electricity off via a switch.
Or just take those two boxes and go to the fence. Stack one on top of the other, and jump over the fence.

Philthy said:
Few pages back someone said they did a speed run through the main missions only and it only took them a few hours.
I finished with about 26 hours. I can definitely see it for doing a strictly main mission on the lowest difficult. But even then, It would be exceedingly difficult right now. Once the guides come out and everything, maybe. But doing a main mission only, you'll lose out on so much XP and upgrades. You'll be severely under leveled. You need 50k to buy the 10 upgrade points from the limb stores, many sidequests give large XP rewards(Every point is 5k XP, shooting a guy for example only gives 10. Non-lethal gives 30, silent takedown gives 50). Hacking is another big boost. Same with all the side quests. This stuff will add up. You probably only get 25-30% of the points to unlock skills in the game. Making much of the later game stuff trickier and boss fights much harder(Which are already kind of poorly designed).

And do be honest, the side missions are fantastic. Exploring the maps too. They are very well designed and actually reward you for doing so. You'll get tons of XP. You'll get stronger weapons earlier. More cash. More ammo. More storylines. And many of them will actually have some effect on the world. One guy who I let go, he removed all the guards on patrol for me. It meant I could move quickly between locations instead of having to avoid packs of them.

And its not like the game is terribly big either. Its not like GTA or Fallout where you travel for 15-20 minutes for some random sidequest. The levels are big enough to give you a lot of freedom, but close of enough to reach everything in a minute or two. Its full of life, not just an expansive map with the occasional Point of interest. Once you start to play, you'll realize how much you are missing out by speed running through.

Zeliard said:
Wait till you get to Hengsha. I think there's where the game really starts to shine. Detroit is cool but I have a few issues with it, mainly the overall layout, which I don't really like. Hengsha is much more enjoyable to traverse (especially with some of the movement augs) and a lot more visually evocative.
Hengsha is clearly designed for when you have more Augs. It works better. Higher hacking opens up a lot more spots. The Icarus for safe landing, while leaping from building to building. Etc.

I finished it, first game in about 3 months I finished. Impressions coming!

Well I let
Zeke
live in the first mission and saved the lady so guess I'm fucked out of the badass revolver... unless it drops later in the game.

I have a question about the no kills achievement, I just had a fire fight with some baddies but I was using a stun gun, however some patrolling policemen entered into the battle and started shooting the enemies. Does that count as a kill against me?

And has anyone gotten the plasma rifle?

pahamrick

ctrayne said:
I do wonder if you need the DLC installed, but it is in a hard to find spot. I posted it earlier:
There is a long walkway near the beginning of the area, right after the room with the two scientists. You climb a ladder to get inside it. Walk all the way to the end of it and look around. That is where it was for me.
Check in that spot and then we'll know if you need the DLC or not.

Well past that part now, and I don't have a save near that area anymore to check. I'm pretty sure I checked in the area you're talking about, but I could be wrong. So if anyone else who doesn't have the DLC who is close wants to check maybe then we'll know.

But from what I've understand most of the other DLC items only show up as pick-up / sale items if you have it installed as well so I'm still leaning towards needing the DLC.

O.DOGG said:
No big loss, really. Going through the game without killing anyone using non-lethal takedowns and the tranq rifle/stun gun is more fun. Though these preorder DLCs are just so much bullshit. Especially for this game.

I agree, doing my non-lethal run with tranq rifle for the first. Would have been nice to have a silenced sniper for my second run where Adam will be psychotic and kill everyone.

Zeliard

Silenced sniper rifle as a retailer-exclusive bonus is a true (what a) shame, but an upgraded silenced 10mm pistol w/ a laser sight helps to mitigate that loss somewhat. The range on it is pretty nice and you can headshot fools all day long just shooting from the hip.

Mindlog

Dizzy-4U said:
Can you use it for non-lethal takedowns?
Unfortunately I don't believe you can. I accidentally killed a guy through a wall. I laughed, but I had to reload. It only happened once. Pop a quick see-through wall vision and its easily avoided.

Wall smash will definitely help a stealth character because of the new pathways it can open up.

Regarding charges:
I wish powers that used 1 full energy unit would use just short of 1 full unit. I would definitely increase my energy stat if that were the case. Currently it's so much more effective to just increase recharge rate and rely on single slot protein bars.

shagg_187 said:
That was a lot of fun for me i.e. trial and error.

Yeah exactly. The best thing about the patch is that meant I could play properly (i.e. reload if spotted) and try out a whole lot of different ways to approach an encounter. Trial and error is a huge part of a game like this, and if you don't completely suck you should be able turn errors into victory anyway.

And then you reload and try again.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Beat the game. What's with the 49 cheevos but only like 40 of them visible? What do I dooo

Also the game was great.
My only complaint was the lack of information on what exactly Reed was going on and on about in terms of scientific breakthroughs. Unless something just went over my head here. I was hoping for more talk between the two after finally being reunited too.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Mindlog said:
Unfortunately I don't believe you can. I accidentally killed a guy through a wall. I laughed, but I had to reload. It only happened once. Pop a quick see-through wall vision and its easily avoided.

Wall smash will definitely help a stealth character because of the new pathways it can open up.

Regarding charges:
I wish powers that used 1 full energy unit would use just short of 1 full unit. I would definitely increase my energy stat if that were the case. Currently it's so much more effective to just increase recharge rate and rely on single slot protein bars.
There should have been a skill to reduce consumption of melee attacks on energy.

O.DOGG

MisterNugNug said:
I have a question about the no kills achievement, I just had a fire fight with some baddies but I was using a stun gun, however some patrolling policemen entered into the battle and started shooting the enemies. Does that count as a kill against me?

And has anyone gotten the plasma rifle?

I don't think it counts against you. Not that I've had it happen but the game seems to be pretty fair in this regard. During this one firefight I was shooting at enemies with the tranq rifle and afterwards I found a corpse among the sleeping bodies. I figure what happened was I tranquilized him, and he fell to his death from a ledge. Still got the achievement no problem.

Also, you get the plasma rifle in the later part of the game. I didn't use it, though.

Got it today in the UK, still in the seme part as the preview build.

But I wonder why they remove the hotkeys from hacking? You could press a button to start hacking before, now you have to click hack. Maybe they felt it was an immersion thing, or it'll make the game slightly longer lol.

BobsRevenge said:
You don't fucking play with Jensen. I also murdered
Anonymous-X
after he threatened me because I didn't let him extort me out of a grand.

Again, you do not. fuck. with. the Jensen.

BABIES!

And yeah, I did the same to that guy, just because the threat seemed like something that could come back to bite me in the future. Not worth the risk.

charsace

BobsRevenge said:
Anonymous-X. That smug douchebag is asking for it just with that hat. Goddamn #-chan anons.
about Anonymous-X
The whole meeting was funny. I think he charges you because he was expecting to meet a girl. You could hear the sourness in his voice when asks why you aren't woman.

PBalfredo

jim-jam bongs said:
Who can forget universal ammo. Oddly enough nobody minded when Mass Effect did the same thing, to be fair.
Mass Effect 2 approached it in a totally different (and much better) way. In Invisible War, every ammo pick up put ammo in the one single ammo pool that fueled all weapons. More powerful weapons used more ammo. So two shots of a rocket launcher meant you emptied your entire pool. No ammo left for even your sidearm. Dumb.

In Mass Effect 2, there was one universal "ammo" pick-up, but it divided up unique ammo to each weapon. So if you emptied your rocket launcher in ME2, your rifle or sidearm ammo remains untouched. Much better. In truth, ME2 didn't have universal ammo so much as it had a universal ammo pick-up.

My favorite way to play:

Someone asks for money. Pay him. Once everyone is pleased and the mission is done, go back and KNOCK HIM THE FUCK OUT. Steal money. Everyone wins!

I did this to the damn bartender after he took 5,000 credits from me! :p

I was going to do a pacifist playthrough whenever I come to revisit the game, but now I've decided that a full-on asshole build will be much more exciting. After the requisite leveling up of hacking, I'm going to get all the most dickish augmentations possible, use solely revolvers and shotguns, and kill anyone in my way.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Stahsky said:
Beat the game. What's with the 49 cheevos but only like 40 of them visible? What do I dooo[/spoiler]
They're for the times were you make a choice.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
shagg_187 said:
My favorite way to play:

Someone asks for money. Pay him. Once everyone is pleased and the mission is done, go back and KNOCK HIM THE FUCK OUT. Steal money. Everyone wins!

I recommend this too, but just hold down Q longer for Anonymous-X.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
blahblah...blah said:
I was going to do a pacifist playthrough whenever I come to revisit the game, but now I've decided that a full-on asshole build will be much more exciting. After the requisite leveling up of hacking, I'm going to get all the most dickish augmentations possible, use solely revolvers and shotguns, and kill anyone in my way.
A bit on the final stage, nothing too spoilery, but just incase

It has to be the single greatest test for the pacifist run. You get moments where there are 20 people on a bridge, surrounded by exploding barrels, and with a hackable turret. On your knees asking for buttermilk!

shagg_187 said:
My favorite way to play:

Wow did not know you could do that

PBalfredo said:
Mass Effect 2 approached it in a totally different (and much better) way. In Invisible War, every ammo pick up put ammo in the one single ammo pool that fueled all weapons. More powerful weapons used more ammo. So two shots of a rocket launcher meant you emptied your entire pool. No ammo left for even your sidearm. Dumb.

In Mass Effect 2, there was one universal "ammo" pick-up, but it divided up unique ammo to each weapon. So if you emptied your rocket launcher in ME2, your rifle or sidearm ammo remains untouched. Much better. In truth, ME2 didn't have universal ammo so much as it had a universal ammo pick-up.

You know I'd forgotten that, it does make a big difference. It's one of the things which annoys me in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, the ammo pools include what is in a weapon so it's possible to empty the clip of one weapon by firing a different weapon. Irritating.

shintoki said:
A bit on the final stage, nothing too spoilery, but just incase

It has to be the single greatest test for the pacifist run. You get moments where there are 20 people on a bridge, surrounded by exploding barrels, and with a hackable turret. On your knees asking for buttermilk!

To be honest, I'd have lost the will to be a pacifist from the moment you arrive in Singapore, let alone Pangea. I was so angry with the cabal, with all the lies, that I actually enjoyed gutting anyone who came at me. Am I psychopathic?

Top Bottom