• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

wutwutwut

How the fuck do you beat the third boss? I fucked up and
got the biochip "upgrade" from the LIMB clinic, which means I have none of my augs.

Hmm, I guess I should try bringing a robot down and putting some praxis points into stuff.

See You Next Wednesday said:
I actually upgraded armor piercing on one of my weapons & it still doesn't seem to take down the enemies quick enough.
I asked my brother about this.

He said that the shotgun is terrible for taking down armored enemies unless you're using explosive rounds.

His upgraded pistol, on the other hand, takes down Heavy Rifle heavies with 1-2 headshots.

/XX/

First hours with the game, and what can I praise that hasn't been praised before? This game set-ups an overall alluring experience and then grants you those moments that makes you experience it how you want to.

And said overall alluring experience is set-up by its atmosphere; opportune and not overpowering music that accompanies you in a discrete but extremely good way
(I'll specially mention that melancholic melody that plays when you are in Jensen's apartment, because the mood transmitted by that place reminded me of Deckard's one in Blade Runner)
, and that magnificent genre specialty of functional and simple modern architecture with classicist overtones in building ornaments and interior furniture (that mix can be called a postmodern style, no? I don't even know...).

Having said that, for me there is one thing jarring what I think is a exemplar general ambiance, the non-playable characters' design. I'm not going to say anything about models repetition or their stiff animation and such, I don't mind that at all and I understand why it is like that, what I don't appreciate is its bland design, uncharacteristic nonetheless. For a game that explores so well what to achieve with a fairly particular visual approach, those impersonal and simplistic designs (ironic in a world where augmented specialization is all the rage) that sometimes doesn't even correspond with their situation are a small gripe for me, aren't interesting enough, a contrast to some of the good designed main characters. Uniform shadows in their beautiful environment...

Extravagant characters also help in shaping a unique world personality, as other cyberpunk sub-genre works have demonstrated.

But this is a minimum issue, I adore what they have done with this game, and appreciate their effort!

Red Blaster said:

Dear God, I just played 17 hours non-stop, time for bed. I cannot remember last time this happened. When I was 15 I managed to go from Dungeon Level 3 to Dungeon Level 14 in Diablo, that took 10hrs+. This game is sooooooooooooo damn good.

Tanolen

EmCeeGramr said:

He said that the shotgun is terrible for taking down armored enemies unless you're using explosive rounds.

His upgraded pistol, on the other hand, takes down Heavy Rifle heavies with 1-2 headshots.

Yeah, my pistol has gotten pretty much every upgrade I have found and on normal 1 headshot seems to kill any human.

Zeliard

EmCeeGramr said:

I can confirm this since that's what I've been doing, and with just one headshot (on Deus Ex difficulty). My pistol has just one damage upgrade and, along with the laser sight and armor-piercing kit, it's enough to put fools down quickly. In fact I just headshotted heavies like 15 minutes ago while escaping from
the raid on Alice Garden Pods.

This is were we disagree. I find that is one of the worst game designs one can make.
If I try different combat & weapon scenarios, different routes to take out enemies & they all fail miserably with the only viable option being a tedious stealth approach where I just have to wait out their patrol routes, then that's not good.

I can't remember Deus Ex & IW that well from so long ago, but I remember the combat & stealth were much more equal to each other than this game is.

I think it's very difficult to approach a particular map or area with pure combat. I explore very well, and even I would run out of ammo quick.

I think the game is best when it's a use stealth as much as you can and resort to combat when possible and applicable.

In the factory before the first boss fight, I used stealth for 90% of it, and finally got caught in the last 10%. I said fuck it, I'm not reloading a save, let's just combat it the way through, and it was hard - I think I died a few times before I actually passed it. And I pretty much ate through most of my ammo.

I'm playing on normal, and sometimes I do wonder how much harder the combat would be (especially the boss fights) on hard mode. Man that would be tough.

It's satisfying to play a game that just doesn't have "stealth" as a side option - for me, I need to use it but I don't need to only use it.

Gibbo

Loving this game so far. Not sure if it has to do with my set, but the framerates in the game are very unstable? Seems to go below 30 whenever I walk through the backalley in Detriot. 360 version here

Zeliard

Still can't really understand the ammo problems people have been having. I now shoot everyone and still have well over 100 pistol rounds, each individual bullet being a virtual guaranteed kill, and I can't even count the number of times I've come across combat rifle rounds, which may actually be more common than 10mm. I've totally ignored the combat rifle but I could have amassed a silly amount of ammo for that thing.

Combine that with headshots being highly damaging if not outright one-hit kill and you should definitely be able to shoot your way through the game if you really want. I think that's less an ammo issue then a "don't get yourself surrounded by 5 guys" issue, since on Deus Ex difficulty they do massive damage to you quickly.

I can see if you're intent on sticking to a very specific weapon with less common ammo, but if your goal is just to gun people down whichever way, that option seems easily viable.

Salsa

man, so glad the game finally gave me a reason to kill someone. I basically killed every one of these assholes even after putting them to sleep with a tranquilizer. Fuck'em!

Grisby

Gibbo said:
Loving this game so far. Not sure if it has to do with my set, but the framerates in the game are very unstable? Seems to go below 30 whenever I walk through the backalley in Detriot. 360 version here

It's been pretty crappy for me in the first hub area.

Qwomo

Man, how the fuck am I supposed to (near end of the game spoilers)
save Malik? I'm a pure stealth character, all I have is tranqs/tazer/peps, and I'm supposed to take down this massive area full of dudes + a huge robot? is there something I'm missing?

plc268

Seems like there's some sort of memory leak on the PC version...at least for me.

For the first 30 minutes or so, the framerate is perfectly smooth, and then it goes sub 30fps for some reason. If I exit out of the game and reload, the framerate is back to ~60fps.

Qwomo said:
save Malik? I'm a pure stealth character, all I have is tranqs/tazer/peps, and I'm supposed to take down this massive area full of dudes + a huge robot? is there something I'm missing?

Nope. Not missing anything. You made the choice, Master Bruce. Stick with it.

You call yourself stealth yet you have no EMP? Shame on you!

Qwomo

shagg_187 said:
Nope. Not missing anything. You made the choice, Master Bruce. Stick with it.

You call yourself stealth yet you have no EMP? Shame on you!
I don't like grenades. :(

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Still can't really understand the ammo problems people have been having. I now shoot everyone and still have well over 100 pistol rounds, each individual bullet being a virtual guaranteed kill, and I can't even count the number of times I've come across combat rifle rounds, which may actually be more common than 10mm. I've totally ignored the combat rifle but I could have amassed a silly amount of ammo for that thing.

Combine that with headshots being highly damaging if not outright one-hit kill and you should definitely be able to shoot your way through the game if you really want. I think that's less an ammo issue then a "don't get yourself surrounded by 5 guys" issue, since on Deus Ex difficulty they do massive damage to you quickly.

I can see if you're intent on sticking to a very specific weapon with less common ammo, but if your goal is just to gun people down whichever way, that option seems easily viable.

Have you used anything but the 10mm? It could be a case of armor, I don't know if weapons like the combat rifle or shotgun get any ability to pierce armor.

Ken

Is there a reason why a single EMP grenade can disable and destroy a Box Guard mech yet doesn't affect the smaller patrol mechs?

Wallach said:
Have you used anything but the 10mm? It could be a case of armor, I don't know if weapons like the combat rifle or shotgun get any ability to pierce armor.

I think Armor Piercing is unique to the Pistol.

Moaradin said:
I just love how this game REWARDS you for exploring. Makes a huge difference.

Yeah, most games wouldn't let you stack boxes to reach a ladder in the background, allowing you to use rooftops to bypass heavy security and then reward you with xp. The fact that this game allows you to step back and think, usually without hints or tunnelling you, is totally refreshing.

One question, though:
When you're reaching the transmitter in gang territory in Detroit, is there any way to avoid the wall-mined corridor? Are there other routes? Is there a way to get by them without setting them off. I ended up chucking barrels at them to set them off, which ruined my chance for a ghost bonus.

Linkzg said:
mid-game, minor spoiler, but wow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXZHle21BMs

that's a convincing argument

I've noticed that characters who are not meant to die won't die. In a lot of areas, guns are inaccessible but in some places you can't prevent someone from shooting and attempting to kill.

Ken said:
Is there a reason why a single EMP grenade can disable and destroy Box Guard mech yet doesn't affect the smaller patrol mechs?

Yes, it does. I think you need an augmentation or something, not sure but it does work when I do it...

Mindlog

Qwomo said:
Since they're all so focused on that one objective you can actually charge them fairly easily. Punch and Taze.

Has anyone tried using the taser on a bot?

Qwomo

Mindlog said:
Since they're all so focused on that one objective you can actually charge them fairly easily. Punch and Taze.

Has anyone tried using the taser on a bot?
Yeah, that's what I'm doing. Also barrel-throwing. Taser does stun bots, thankfully!

GavinGT

Banned
I'm about to start playing....should I take Jeff's suggestion and play it on Easy? I gave up on the demo because of the combat.

Is it just me or do the big robots say "BEEP BOOP BOP BOP" under all that distortion sometimes?

Btw, I'm way past it now, but the fight at the end of
Tai Yung Medical
was straight out of Ghost in the Shell. Even the music felt the same. Incredible part of the game

Ken

shagg_187 said:
Yes, it does. I think you need an augmentation or something, not sure but it does work when I do it...

Really? Early in the game I threw two EMP grenades at the patrol mechs and noticed it did nothing so I ended up using the stun gun + heavy weapon to kill them for the rest of the game. Will have to try EMPing them again later.

wutwutwut said:
How the fuck do you beat the third boss? I fucked up and
got the biochip "upgrade" from the LIMB clinic, which means I have none of my augs.

Hmm, I guess I should try bringing a robot down and putting some praxis points into stuff.
He is pretty easy
just go to a corner, look until you see him, shoot, then he throws grenades, run to the other end, and repeat. There is ammo/guns in the small dresser looking things.

Tacitus_

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Yeah, most games wouldn't let you stack boxes to reach a ladder in the background, allowing you to use rooftops to bypass heavy security and then reward you with xp. The fact that this game allows you to step back and think, usually without hints or tunnelling you, is totally refreshing.

One question, though:
When you're reaching the transmitter in gang territory in Detroit, is there any way to avoid the wall-mined corridor? Are there other routes? Is there a way to get by them without setting them off. I ended up chucking barrels at them to set them off, which ruined my chance for a ghost bonus.

Crouch and hold walk to approach mines safely. So Ctrl + C on PC. Walk up to a mine and defuse them.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Better yet, CoD gunplay & Splinter Cell stealth mechanics.

Human Revolutions combat is already better than Call of Duty.

*reads rest of posts*

So you are just really bad at the game, then?

I'm honestly surprised the bosses get so much hate. I've done two and they're fine. I mean, it feels out of place, but still fine. Reminded me of Metal Gear bosses.

Both were suuuper easy too, and this is on hard. For both it's simply
stungun to stun them, BLAST THEIR FACE OFF, repeat once or twice. Second boss took one attempt, all of like 40 seconds with my EXPLODING REVOLVER.

Tacitus_ said:
Crouch and hold walk to approach mines safely. So Ctrl + C on PC. Walk up to a mine and defuse them.

or if you have silent walking, I think that works fine too. It's not clear at first because the game doesn't tell you until you buy augs. Stealth is all about sound and line/cone of sight. Mines work on audio, not proximity.

Ken

Linkzg said:
stungun to stun them, BLAST THEIR FACE OFF, repeat once or twice. Second boss took one attempt, all of like 40 seconds with my EXPLODING REVOLVER.

Or 10 seconds with a stun gun/EMP grenade and two Typhoons.

Tanolen said:
Yeah, my pistol has gotten pretty much every upgrade I have found and on normal 1 headshot seems to kill any human.
Yep. I used the pistol and tranquilizer rifle exclusively in the preview and that's the same case here. The pistol is easily the best gun in the game for me. This is pretty much the same case for me in DE1, since a fully upgraded pistol with a scope makes you unstoppable.

Ken said:
Or 10 seconds with a stun gun/EMP grenade and two Typhoons.
Yeah. So far, with the two boss fights I've had, I just used the Typhoon and ended each fight with a couple head shots.

Jensen is pretty much a Ferrari compared to everyone else who's augmented.

Tacitus_

Linkzg said:
I'm honestly surprised the bosses get so much hate. I've done two and they're fine. I mean, it feels out of place, but still fine. Reminded me of Metal Gear bosses.

Do them on a pure stealth focused character on the hardest difficulty. I had barely gotten the first level of dermal armor when I fought the 2nd boss. Luckily they're kinda stupid so the mines I had stashed for breaking doors worked.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Linkzg said:

That was why it was easy. The Exploding revolver wipes out any guy in a hit, and only takes about one and a half loads into a boss

Its also why they are poorly designed. The rest of the game has revolved around playing smart and being stealth. These don't use any of that. Its basically just spam + blow up. It just cheap.

Tacitus_ said:
Do them on a pure stealth focused character on the hardest difficulty. I had barely gotten the first level of dermal armor when I fought the 2nd boss. Luckily they're kinda stupid so the mines I had stashed for breaking doors worked.

I am a pure stealth focused character. Hell, I haven't even used my tranq gun yet. Also haven't sounded alarms.

I just pack a gat to blast any fool steps at me is all.

Aselith

Linkzg said:

or if you have silent walking, I think that works fine too. It's not clear at first because the game doesn't tell you until you buy augs. Stealth is all about sound and line/cone of sight. Mines work on audio, not proximity.
Biggest problem is that this is a game about multiple way to approach a problem and for the bosses, there's only one. Having a conversation that led to being able to talk around the fight or knock them out or some way to let them go after knocking them out. They could have written in a way to beat them without the need to fight and kill them. Capturing them for the police maybe or something of that nature.

shintoki said:
That was why it was easy. The Exploding revolver wipes out any guy in a hit, and only takes about one and a half loads into a boss

Its also why they are poorly designed. The rest of the game has revolved around playing smart and being stealth. These don't use any of that. Its basically just spam + blow up. It just cheap.

I agree. It's why I said they feel out of place! but at most it's a speed bump. At least for me it doesn't detract from the overall experience.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Just beat the game. It has the best story I've experienced thus far in a game. Its a pioneer, hopefully more developers see the importance of a story, its characters and world. The only thing is though to truly get the meat of the games story you have to be hacker oriented, otherwise you'll have to have a crapton of stop/nuke programs. I love the ability to make choices in this game. And I will be replaying it at least three more times to see the outcome of the three other endings. Also playing as a pacifist is so time consuming but atleast I got the trophy can't wait to play the game again with a more combat oriented focus. My personal game of the year beating out KZ3 and Infamous 2, actually its probably the best thing I've experienced this entire generation. Quick question regarding the endings do they ALL lead into Deus Ex 1 but some obviously more than others? I've never played DX1 so I don't know the significance of
a person named Bob

The Stealth Fox

Allonym said:
Just beat the game. It has the best story I've experienced thus far in a game. Its a pioneer, hopefully more developers see the importance of a story, its characters and world. The only thing is though to truly get the meat of the games story you have to be hacker oriented, otherwise you'll have to have a crapton of stop/nuke programs. I love the ability to make choices in this game. And I will be replaying it at least three more times to see the outcome of the three other endings. Also playing as a pacifist is so time consuming but atleast I got the trophy can't wait to play the game again with a more combat oriented focus. My personal game of the year beating out KZ3 and Infamous 2, actually its probably the best thing I've experienced this entire generation. Quick question regarding the endings do they ALL lead into Deus Ex 1 but some obviously more than others? I've never played DX1 so I don't know the significance of
a person named Bob

Bob page is the enemy in DX1

Top Bottom