• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Echoplx

See You Next Wednesday said:
Don't even try, the A.I. the gunplay & stealth all plain suck.

Just watch the GiantBomb quicklook for an example of all 3.

Watch a bunch of guys who suck at playing games as an example? No thanks.

I can agree that the AI is bad but how exactly are CoD/SC better? Gunplay is great imo (for an rpgfps) and the stealth works as intended and is is really satisfying when you get through areas without being detected.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Also also also conducting all the NPC hostiges I saved in a symphony of repeating voiceovers by running up to each in succession was pretty cool.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I think DXHR already has better gunplay thanks to the cover system and ability to hold more than two weapons. Stealth is usually crap in first person games because you can't see your own body in relation to cover, shadows etc, so they can never reach SC standards.

Maybe not SC levels, but Killzone & MoH have good cover system that don't have jarring cuts to a different perspective & don't replay them to be in cover 90% of the time during combat.

Clydefrog

I've tried playing Inivisble War three separate times and each time, somewhere random in the game whether it be after 5 hours or 25 hours of playtime, all of my saves become corrupted. I'll try and load a game and boom my game will crash to desktop. I hate that fucking game.

EmCeeGramr said:
I don't have to watch the GB Quick Look since I'm less than an hour from the end, and those two are wrong. The stealth, especially, is incredibly satisfying.
3chopl0x said:
Watch a bunch of guys who suck at playing games as an example? No thanks.

That may be true for most quicklooks, but the examples Jeff used through the video were incredibly good & completely justified his views.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
EmCeeGramr said:
I don't have to watch the GB Quick Look since I'm less than an hour from the end, and those two are wrong. The stealth, especially, is incredibly satisfying.
Stealth has been a blast. Behind finding all the routes, watching their movement/sight patterns to get by, using distractions, or taking out an entire room completely unnoticed. Its been awesome!

The controls work exceptionally well with it. Its all very smooth with the entrance into cover and what not. Compared to many other 3rd person shooters where you get stuck on shit.

Rez said:
The game has so many terrible video game cutscenes camera angles and pans. The dialogue is ridiculously terrible.

I'm enjoying the game. I died a handful of times on the prologue because I didn't realise there was a cover system. I died a million times post helicopter because I kept throwing cardboard boxes at the police and then trying to run away. Just after getting a "be stealthy" objective, I equipped a beer can and tried to throw it by pressing RT but I shot a bullet into a wall and had to scurry back into the vent I came out of.

This game couldn't possibly taken seriously, everything about it is just daring me to turn the whole thing into a (really fun, hilarious) farce.
Man...seriously?

sladeums

FYI
anyone who pre-ordered from Amazon...they just posted this in their DE:HR forum :

http://www.amazon.com/Pre-order-Credit-Update/forum/FxDH2R318V9MYO/Tx2NT27W7C0FFRZ/1

All customers who had pre-ordered the standard edition of "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" by 8/22/11 will get the $20 promotional credit. You should have received a $10 promotional credit when the game shipped, and we are working on having an additional $10 credit applied to your account.

-Amazon.com's Video Games team

Tacitus_

Honestly, the only complaint about the stealth mechanics is that if I surprise a guard turning a corner, he'll manage to warn every single one of his friends before finishing his first word (which he can't, since he's convulsing from electricity).

The Stealth Fox

The worlds are smaller in DX:HR? What the hell kind of game are you playing?

In fact, I think the fact that there's a super jump aug REALLY opens things up for the game in terms of choices. The complexity of the level design facilitates this.

Heavy said:
Man...seriously?

The game is great but I can totally see someone laughing at the plot/presentation. It's way too self-serious for a game about
THE FUCKING ILLUMINATI
that features awful animation and voice acting.

Not like the original was any different, and I can totally put up with it, but the game can be pretty dopey.

Confidence Man said:
Finished. Fantastic environment design and art, but the core of the game is severely compromised due to it's console focus and the need to be "up to date" with modern (i.e. mass-market palatable) conventions.

Make no mistake, this game is Invisible War freed of the technical limitations of Xbox-level hardware. It's good, but still inadequate.

That's the biggest pile of BS I read all day.

jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah exactly. The best thing about the patch is that meant I could play properly (i.e. reload if spotted) and try out a whole lot of different ways to approach an encounter. Trial and error is a huge part of a game like this, and if you don't completely suck you should be able turn errors into victory anyway.

And then you reload and try again.

This is were we disagree. I find that is one of the worst game designs one can make.
If I try different combat & weapon scenarios, different routes to take out enemies & they all fail miserably with the only viable option being a tedious stealth approach where I just have to wait out their patrol routes, then that's not good.

I can't remember Deus Ex & IW that well from so long ago, but I remember the combat & stealth were much more equal to each other than this game is.

The Stealth Fox said:
The worlds are smaller in DX:HR? What the hell kind of game are you playing?

In fact, I think the fact that there's a super jump aug REALLY opens things up for the game in terms of choices. The complexity of the level design facilitates this.
Agreed, it adds a verticality aspect to the game... really opens it up.

Seriously, this game and Arkham Asylum are tied for my favorite stealth games of the generation, and it's not even a dedicated stealth title.

I went into Invisible War when it first came out, without any expectations because I hadn't played the first game. I thought some of its ideas were... interesting, but left the game pissed off and not really remembering half of what I did.

Then I played the first years later, and was blown away by how good it was.

When HR got announced, I was convinced it would be IW2. Many of you know how cynical I can be towards ME and Fallout, and their modern design decisions. I had the exact same attitude, but let myself get excited for this game in the last couple months due to the leak. I knew I could be setting myself up for a huge disappointment, but I was actually hopeful.

And this game has validated those hopes. Are there disappointments in the design? Yeah. Boss fights are unnecessary and dumb, there's the classic RPG problem of some abilities being super-useful in all situations while others can only be used a handful of times at most, and sometimes it feels like it could stand to explore some concepts more. But overall, it feels like a modernized version of the first game. There are concessions and changes made that could definitely be recognized as consolization, but they're so inoffensive for the most part that I can't even begin to consider them "ruinous."

If I try different combat & weapon scenarios, different routes to take out enemies & they all fail miserably with the only viable option being a tedious stealth approach where I just have to wait out their patrol routes, then that's not good.

I'm watching someone play through the game as a combat character, which his only "stealth" actions being sometimes looking around a corner and relying on a super-upgraded silenced pistol, though he still ends up alerting nearly every guard in the game.

He's blazing through it with no problems.

Solo

Blizzard said:
I may not agree with you about everything, but I think this is actually a pretty reasonable summary.

ctrayne said:
I understand this, and agree - it is an artistic triumph. It could use a hi-res texture pack, and the NPCs are janky but the unique characters look great.

Definitely. Like I said, at least for me, the bar-raising games, from a visual perspective, are the ones that successful blend cutting edge tech and artistic brilliance. Something like Half-Life 2 set the bar in 2004, and something like The Witcher 2 has set it for the current day.

But all things considered, if a game is to only succeed at one of the two facets, I'd much rather it be artistically, which HR does. So you just live with it being technically behind-the-curve.

Maybe not SC levels, but Killzone & MoH have good cover system that don't have jarring cuts to a different perspective & don't replay them to be in cover 90% of the time during combat.

Those games also had some pretty dire stealth sections in comparison to DXHR. My point is that having a third person camera in the cover system is a necessary compromise to make its mix of FPS and stealth work. For example, it would be pretty hard to do diving between cover if it was all completely first person. Third person also makes camera manipulation around corners far easier and more Splinter Cell like, which I believe is what you wanted.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I think DXHR already has better gunplay thanks to the cover system and ability to hold more than two weapons. Stealth is usually crap in first person games because you can't see your own body in relation to cover, shadows etc, so they can never reach SC standards. I feel they have a near perfect mix of FPS and stealth in DXHR, no doubt again thanks to the cover system and cutting to a third person view.

It would make it a lot less Deus Ex-y but I must admit that as a predominately stealth focused player I'd love the option to go third person all the time. It wouldn't matter as much if the game didn't put such an emphasis on using cover for stealth, but I find it pretty jarring when it flips perspective a lot of the time.

My preference is all or nothing I guess. If it's mostly FPS stealth I'd rather the the developers use a system like NOLF2 or the original Deus Ex where you can lean around cover, and your visibility is based on your perceived degree of exposure in first-person rather than your actual exposure.

Zeliard

EmCeeGramr said:
Seriously, this game and Arkham Asylum are tied for my favorite stealth games of the generation, and it's not even a dedicated stealth title.

I went into Invisible War when it first came out, without any expectations because I hadn't played the first game. I thought some of its ideas were... interesting, but left the game pissed off and not really remembering half of what I did.

When HR got announced, I was convinced it would be IW2. Many of you know how cynical I can be towards ME and Fallout, and their modern design decisions. I had the exact same attitude, but let myself get excited for this game in the last couple months due to the leak. I knew I could be setting myself up for a huge disappointment, but I was actually hopeful.

And this game has validated those hopes. Are there disappointments in the design? Yeah. Boss fights are unnecessary and dumb, there's the classic RPG problem of some abilities being super-useful in all situations while others can only be used a handful of times at most, and sometimes it feels like it could stand to explore some concepts more. But overall, it feels like a modernized version of the first game. There are concessions and changes made that could definitely be recognized as consolization, but they're so inoffensive for the most part that I can't even begin to consider them "ruinous."

Totally agree with this. Eidos Montreal did it justice. Comparisons with Invisible War are laughable. The Canadian boys did a much better job than Warren Spector and Harvey Smith managed with the property their second go-around.

EmCeeGramr said:

WfDQG.gif

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Those games also had some pretty dire stealth sections in comparison to DXHR. My point is that having a third person camera in the cover system is a necessary compromise to make its mix of FPS and stealth work. For example, it would be pretty hard to do diving between cover if it was all completely first person. Third person also makes camera manipulation around corners far easier and more Splinter Cell like, which I believe is what you wanted.

Thing about those games is that they feel like FPS with cover systems built around that genre, this game feels like I'm playing a 3rd person shooter that just happens to go into first perspective when I jump out of cover.

Blizzard

Banned
Rez said:
The game has so many terrible video game cutscenes camera angles and pans. The dialogue is ridiculously terrible.

I'm enjoying the game. I died a handful of times on the prologue because I didn't realise there was a cover system. I died a million times post helicopter because I kept throwing cardboard boxes at the police and then trying to run away. Just after getting a "be stealthy" objective, I equipped a beer can and tried to throw it by pressing RT but I shot a bullet into a wall and had to scurry back into the vent I came out of.

This game couldn't possibly taken seriously, everything about it is just daring me to turn the whole thing into a (really fun, hilarious) farce.
I disagree with the bolded. Not everyone tries to throw cardboard boxes, and from other reactions in this thread, the story and characters come across as decent to some people. And with all due respect, how can you not realize there's a cover system? Is there not a tutorial that literally explains how to use the cover system, possibly complete with a video of the main character taking cover? :p

BigJiantRobut said:
The game is great but I can totally see someone laughing at the plot/presentation. It's way too self-serious for a game about
THE FUCKING ILLUMINATI
that features awful animation and voice acting.

You were expecting a more tongue-in-cheek approach to the narrative? Or perhaps you'd like to have a more Nathan Drake-esque protagonist?

However, the VA is probably the most wall breaking thing in the game. I don't understand how they were ever happy with David Sarif's actor. He's just awful.

EmCeeGramr said:
I'm watching someone play through the game as a combat character, which his only "stealth" actions being sometimes looking around a corner and relying on a super-upgraded silenced pistol, though he still ends up alerting nearly every guard in the game.

He's blazing through it with no problems.

Link please?
I seen some non stealth vids, but that guy was literally just running past all the guards to the next load screens before they could fully react & kill him.

bonesmccoy said:
You were expecting a more tongue-in-cheek approach to the narrative? Or perhaps you'd like to have a more Nathan Drake-esque protagonist?

However, the VA is probably the most wall breaking thing in the game. I don't understand how they were ever happy with David Sarif's actor. He's just awful.
It's weird, I recognize that Sarif's VA has a really bad voice... yet it somehow totally fits the overly-chummy yet still somewhat manipulative "cool boss" personality that Sarif puts out. You'd expect a guy like that to sound totally obnoxious.

Link please?
I seen some non stealth vids, but that guy was literally just running past all the guards to the next load screens before they could fully react & kill him.

It's not a video, it's me watching a relative play through the game when I'm not.

leng jai

Link please?

I've been killing everyone on my first playthrough without a problem. The only thing is you need to aim at the head and not spray bullets like its COD. Shooting mechanics are very solid - actually a lot better than what I thought they would be.

dream

Red Blaster said:
If it took you that long to get there your final playtime might clock in at close to 60 hours.

I'm at 41 hours and I just made it to
the docks.

I'm savoring this bitch just in case DX4 brings back universal ammo.

Salsa

welp, there goes pacifist jensen.

arrived at the part where i need to
escape the alice garden pods
and one of the enemies killed a civilian for no reason. I went behind him and sliced through his fucking liver with my super elbow thingies. Good riddance.

EmCeeGramr said:
It's weird, I recognize that Sarif's VA has a really bad voice... yet it somehow totally fits the overly-chummy yet still somewhat manipulative "cool boss" personality that Sarif puts out. You'd expect a guy like that to sound totally obnoxious.

It's not a video, it's me watching a relative play through the game when I'm not.
O'Malley's voice was awesome...great voice actor whoever that is. The only one I had a problem with was that one stereotypical black girl in Detroit, but that was a minor character. Megan Reed is nice, Sarif was fine, Pritchard's voice was cool...love the way he says "Jensen". Haven't passed Detroit so don't know about the other voice actors later on. So far the voice acting definitely isn't a negative for me. It's solid.

bonesmccoy said:

What? No, read the second part of my post where I say I'm totally fine with all that. All I was saying was I can totally understand why someone would find the plot/presentation silly.

christ, I say one thing even slightly against the game and you assume OMG HE WANTS A CONSOLE GAME PROTAGONIST!

Zeliard

You can definitely murder your way through. I've been killing everyone since before I got to Hengsha. If you upgrade your weapons they become mighty. I just have one damage upgrade on my silenced pistol last I checked and it's enough to take out pretty much everyone with one headshot, including those burlier guards with the heavy rifles (which I stole from one of them and am also now using).

I love O'Malley because he's just so smug during that mission
without any good reason to be. He's an idiot and I punched him in the face when I arrested him. Then I reloaded the save and just tranq'd him from the apartment doorway.

He was standing there with his cigarette, posing cool for the dramatic speech that shows that plebe Jensen just how over his head he i- HURGKH

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
There is some unintentional humor, and I love it. It wouldn't be a true Deus Ex game without stiff animations and goofy voice acting. It makes me giggle, which is a positive response, so I have no complaints.

Snuggler said:
There is some unintentional humor, and I love it. It wouldn't be a true Deus Ex game without stiff animations and goofy voice acting. It makes me giggle, which is a positive response, so I have no complaints.

Same here, for the most part, but I coulda done without Latisha

leng jai said:
I've been killing everyone on my first playthrough without a problem. The only thing is you need to aim at the head and not spray bullets like its COD. Shooting mechanics are very solid - actually a lot better than what I thought they would be.

The headshot argument goes out the window when helmeted & armored enemies start appearing. I literally getting two direct headshots on idle enemies & then they would still have a ton more health left.

Like I said before, I couldn't even kill a guy (heavy LMGer) with over 10 shotgun blast less then 4 feet away.

Combat in this game is pathetic & the stealth plays out like Metal Gear Solid VR missions 10 years ago, where you're in a grind with robotic A.I that you have to wait out in their repeat patrols.

The headshot argument goes out the window when helmeted & armored enemies start appearing. I literally getting two direct headshots on idle enemies & then they would still have a ton more health left.
Damage upgrades are pretty plentiful and let your weapons ignore enemy armor.

Dizzy-4U

I felt that reading Pritchard's emails is like looking at myself. I have to write those network security emails every week because the employees keep fucking them up.

EmCeeGramr said:
I love O'Malley because he's just so smug during that mission
without any good reason to be. He's an idiot and I punched him in the face when I arrested him. Then I reloaded the save and just tranq'd him from the apartment doorway.

He was standing there with his cigarette, posing cool for the dramatic speech that shows that plebe Jensen just how over his head he i- HURGKH

I spoke with him, ended the dialogue and immediately cloaked and slipped behind cover. He didn't spot me so I popped out and put him to sleep.

Top Bottom