• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

wilflare

Raydeen said:
That's progress. So much for better CPU's and graphics cards giving more intelligent gaming. This is why I don't give a flying fuck (and Activision and co can stamp their feet all they like) about Xbox 720 and PS4 - what's the point if we're going to get prettier visuals and dumber games?

QFT. haven't seen as much charm in the new games than in the old ones.
either that, or we are getting old

Sorry to say this game wasn't even on my radar. I've never played the first one....

But from what i've seen, apart from dated character design and soem framerate issues, thsi game does seem like fun.

I just might buy the ps3 version. Anyone played the ps3 version allready?

mxgt

Banned
Just finished Detroit and like everyone else it seems I hated the boss fight. What a pain in the ass as a stealth character.

Anilusion

Alright, apparently this game will crash a lot if you are running it on a RAID0 drive. So if you are, download Steam mover and move your game folder to a non-raid harddrive. I just did and now it works perfectly!

Card Boy

Banned
mxgt said:
Just finished Detroit and like everyone else it seems I hated the boss fight. What a pain in the ass as a stealth character.

I chucked 2 EMP grenades, it stunned the boss and i finished him off with the AR.

Q8D3vil

so download is about to finish but i have question.
can i play the game with 360 pad ?
because 360 = 40 inch tv
k & m = 24 inch monitor

Desaan

Q8D3vil said:
so download is about to finish but i have question.
can i play the game with 360 pad ?
because 360 = 40 inch tv
k & m = 24 inch monitor

Yup, I'd go as far to say it's better to play with a pad anyway.

Clott

I just killed some drug dealers and now all the drug dealers in the area want my ass, do I have to kill all of them?

Cuisino

Neo Member
is there like an augmentation guide? just started and finished the first mission, got
2 praxis points...but I have no idea on what I should spend those on.

Zampano

Something about the way Adam folds his arms in the conversation scenes cracks me up. Reminds me of that Kurt Cobain Guitar Hero gif.

So, does winning social encounters potentially block you from content?

location spoilers for
hengsha

first time entering the Hive club, the bartender directed me up to the lounge to find Tong. Talked to the manager upstairs (unknowing of his real identity), and I failed to convince him to let me see Tong. Then I went back to the bartender, who in exchange for a meeting, gave me a sidequest of hacking three relays to locate a person, and then shaking that person down for some money (or taking her out, or convincing the bartender to let her off the hook). I failed that one as well, then I no longer had a main mission marker on my map, but the quest was still active. I ended up hacking my way into the Hives basement, found a vent which eventually led to Tong's office and I got pre-rendered cut scene of Tong dealing with a Belltower mercenary, in which Jensen hears the info he needs.

So, does that happen in every circumstance? How else does this play out?

Tacitus_

Cuisino said:
is there like an augmentation guide? just started and finished the first mission, got
2 praxis points...but I have no idea on what I should spend those on.

Yeah, look a few pages back in this very thread. To sum them up: hacking is very good, jumping is very good, higher strength is very good and then maybe dermal armor.

MrCompletely said:

location spoilers for
hengsha

first time entering the Hive club, the bartender directed me up to the lounge to find Tong. Talked to the manager upstairs (unknowing of his real identity), and I failed to convince him to let me see Tong. Then I went back to the bartender, who in exchange for a meeting, gave me a sidequest of hacking three relays to locate a person, and then shaking that person down for some money (or taking her out, or convincing the bartender to let her off the hook). I failed that one as well, then I no longer had a main mission marker on my map, but the quest was still active. I ended up hacking my way into the Hives basement, found a vent which eventually led to Tong's office and I got pre-rendered cut scene of Tong dealing with a Belltower mercenary, in which Jensen hears the info he needs.

I won the conversation.
Tong invited me to his basement office and gave me info on the hacker. Picked up the sidequest from the bartender for hacking the relays.

Ken

MrCompletely said:

location spoilers for
hengsha

Well,
I hacked into Tong's basement and got the cutscene. I then went to talk to the bartender and the option to ask for Tong was still there which let me take his side quest.

Choc

Banned
MrCompletely said:

location spoilers for
hengsha

no.

if you convince tong, the cut scene is much different

Kazzy

So, I started playing this yesterday and am leaning towards a pacifist playthrough. Has anyone already done this and if so how feasible is it? I would like to go for the alarm achievement while I'm at it, but probably won't bother if I have to jump through hoops.

JohngPR

EmCeeGramr said:
It's weird, I recognize that Sarif's VA has a really bad voice... yet it somehow totally fits the overly-chummy yet still somewhat manipulative "cool boss" personality that Sarif puts out. You'd expect a guy like that to sound totally obnoxious.

I didn't mind his voice until a certain conversation where Jensen is mad at him for something and he says "Aaaadaaaam?" in a really whiny voice. I literally cringed on that one.

Overall, I don't have a problem with his character yet though.

LOL

JohngPR

Watanabe Kazuma said:
So, I started playing this yesterday and am leaning towards a pacifist playthrough. Has anyone already done this and if so how feasible is it? I would like to go for the alarm achievement while I'm at it, but probably won't bother if I have to jump through hoops.

I always play stealth so going the pacifist route is no problem for me.

I'm 15 hours in or so and I'd say it's definitely doable. Just keep at least one lethal weapon on you for boss fights though, you have to use lethal force on them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Watanabe Kazuma said:

There is a pacifist achievement so yes, it is possible. It doesnt seem all that hard either. Obviously requires a little more effort than your standard running and gunning, but you at least have a few stun based attacks and weapons at your disposal to make things easy, including non-lethal takedowns.

Just note if you're going for the pacifist achievement you need to sneak/run your way through the intro level without killing anybody. You'll also need to kill bosses, as they dont count.

EDIT: Oh, and I kinda regret using the social aug on
Haas
. Feels bad man.

Watanabe Kazuma said:

It's great, but after I finish pacifist playthrough I'm going to go stealth+guns. This game encourages you to be stealthy, enemies hit way too hard without Dermal Armor, however it takes a while if you want to take them all out using non-lethal means. Plus you don't get to use fun stuff like Typhoon or Icarus stuns.

wutwutwut

All right, just finished the game. Eidos Montreal should be proud of what they created, and I'm very much looking forward to a Deus Ex 1 sequel by the same team.

Hardest part for me was the third boss.
I didn't have any augs during the battle, so I had a pretty hard time. The way I finally defeated him was by bringing a friendly turret down and tricking him to appear in front of it. A couple of EMP grenades + 5 seconds of turret fire + heavy rifle was enough. <3 friendly turrets.

The final boss
on the other hand was a pushover, really simple. Beat it first try with three EMP grenades to take down the three turrets + my laser rifle for the women strapped to the pods and Zhao herself.

I played it on normal, and the game became really easy by the end. I had 10 praxis points left over and nothing else I wanted to upgrade.

DX1 vs HR, is well, hard to decide. HR has fewer mechanics but the ones that are there are mostly better done. The endings for both were kind of meh in my opinion.

Do you think hacking turrets counts against it? I was initially going through pacifist style, and it was pretty easy. Though, I realized late, that I did the first level "the proper way" instead of sneaking around all of them.

By that time, I noticed that if you hack a turret and it kills someone you just get "Man down - 10 points"

Tacitus_

EatChildren said:
Just note if you're going for the pacifist achievement you need to sneak/run your way through the intro level without killing anybody. You'll also need to kill bosses, as they dont count.

EDIT: Oh, and I kinda regret using the social aug on
Haas
. Feels bad man.

Oh so that's why I didn't get it. Do you know whether turning bots/turrets on their owners also disables it? Since technically you aren't killing them, but the intent is there.

Kazzy

beelzebozo said:
sometimes the music reminds me of METROID PRIME.

The whole intro section was eerily similar to Mass Effect 2 in both music and structure.

EatChildren said:
There is a pacifist achievement so yes, it is possible. It doesnt seem all that hard either. Obviously requires a little more effort than your standard running and gunning, but you at least have a few stun based attacks and weapons at your disposal to make things easy, including non-lethal takedowns.

I saw that myself, I only had completed the first mission so just restarted the whole thing. It gave me the chance to start on hard, didn't seem particularly challenging on normal, although I won't complain after coming directly from playing Catherine!

For ppl wondering about Augmentations - get "Explore Free" package:

1. Icarus - 2 points

2. High Jump - 2 points

3. Smashing Walls - 1 point

4. Carrying Heavy Items - 1 point

Total: 6 points

This will allow you not only to select alternate routes, it will also give you a lot of experience for doing so.

Enco

Love the voice acting.

The game is beautiful on PC. When indoors, the game runs at around 100fps. Outdoors it runs at around 80. So good.

Castor Krieg said:
For ppl wondering about Augmentations - get "Explore Free" package:

1. Icarus - 2 points

2. High Jump - 2 points

3. Smashing Walls - 1 point

4. Carrying Heavy Items - 1 point

Total: 6 points

This will allow you not only to select alternate routes, it will also give you a lot of experience for doing so.
Yep, for my second playthrough I'm getting those 4 first, but in different order.
1. Jump
2. Heavy objects
3. Break walls
4. Icarus

Gvaz

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
I bought the Master Race Augmented Edition at Gamestop because I wanted Tracer Tong's mission, which was Gamestop-exclusive in the US.
Should have imported instead. Comes with all the DLC from euroland.

Am I the only one who got sick of stealth in the beginning and decided to shoot everyone instead? I had played the leak so technically this was like my third time playing this part.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
A Human Becoming said:
Even though the stealth is straight from Metal Gear Solid, it's still so rewarding. I guess the formula still works today. I'm also not killing anyone. There is great satisfaction stunning and tranquilizing 8 guys in a row.
3AQmK.gif
Only played 5 hours so far but it feels like much more.
I don't get why people keep saying this? Did they not play Deus Ex 1? The stealth is exactly like the original.

Untracked

Can anyone offer any tips for the second boss?
Electrified Floor Woman

I seem to be having some success hitting her with the stun gun when she charges at me. Do I just keep at it or is there a trick to her?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Untracked said:
Electrified Floor Woman

I seem to be having some success hitting her with the stun gun when she charges at me. Do I just keep at it or is there a trick to her?
Does this boss fight occur for everyone? I don't remember it happening...

wutwutwut

Untracked said:
Electrified Floor Woman

EMP grenades.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tacitus_ said:
Oh so that's why I didn't get it. Do you know whether turning bots/turrets on their owners also disables it? Since technically you aren't killing them, but the intent is there.

No idea. Someone did say that the XP feed marks a hacked turret kill down, so I'm going to assume it counts.

pahamrick

Managed to get the silenced sniper without having the DLC (requires cheat engine to do so) which basically confirms all the DLC items ARE in the game but probably locked out. Unless of course I missed where someone found the silenced sniper in the game without having the DLC.

Now I can start a second 'silent assassin' game once I finish my good guy non-lethal play-through.

Raider82

Neo Member
Debating on getting this game or not. Never played the first one (shame I know). Will I enjoy this game? I really don't like stealth games, unless the stealth is more along the lines of Batman. I'm really interested in the story/environments. Worth a blind pick up?

EatChildren

Raider82 said:
Debating on getting this game or not. Never played the first one (shame I know). Will I enjoy this game? I really don't like stealth games, unless the stealth is more along the lines of Batman. I'm really interested in the story/environments. Worth a blind pick up?

You dont need to play stealth. You can play Terminator if you'd prefer.

Untracked

BobsRevenge said:
Does this boss fight occur for everyone? I don't remember it happening...
Sorry, to clarify
floor is not electrified, there's water on it that transfers damage across the whole floor if you use EMPs.
Round room with a woman who runs at you then I just drop dead. I don't know her name (Give me Deus Ex Difficulty).

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Untracked said:
Sorry, to clarify
floor is not electrified, there's water on it that transfers damage across the whole floor if you use EMPs.
Round room with a woman who runs at you then I just drop dead. I don't know her name (Give me Deus Ex Difficulty).
:(

Yeah, I don't remember doing this fight. Where does it happen?

edit: Oh, nm, now I remember. I used typhoon twice and it ended. Haha, it was too insubstantial to recall for me.

pahamrick

Untracked said:
Sorry, to clarify

Any chance you have the Typhoon augment?

When I fought her, soon as the battle started and she rushed me I activated the Typhoon which instantly stunned her so I was able to cheese her by spamming the stun gun until I ran out of ammo. At which point I ran away, and when she rushed me a second time a second typhoon took her out.

T Primex

Neo Member
Hey, I've been thinking about giving this game a rental because it sounds super cool (story/setting wise) but I have not played the original and I remember playing Invisible War very very briefly at a buddy's. I had a couple questions/concerns before I do though. One is the game length. I've heard from some places it's 30 hours and others it's 20. How long is game if I just worry about the main story and most of the side missions without worrying about doing all the achievements? Secondly, I heard there's quite a bit of stealth which I've never really been into. Would it be enjoyable to play it as a shooter with some hacking/smooth talking to get out of conflicts? Sneaking around corners and in vents with stun guns doesn't really appeal to me and if the game is more aiming you in that direction I think I'll pass.

Top Bottom