• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Stallion Free said:
I don't get why people keep saying this? Did they not play Deus Ex 1? The stealth is exactly like the original.

c'mon. it's totally different. The original used shadows, this one uses cover.

Untracked

pahamrick said:
Any chance you have the Typhoon augment?

When I fought her, soon as the battle started and she rushed me I activated the Typhoon which instantly stunned her so I was able to cheese her by spamming the stun gun until I ran out of ammo. At which point I ran away, and when she rushed me a second time a second typhoon took her out.
I don't (was going stealthy) but I have a few Praxis points. I'll upgrade and give it a try. Thanks.

tiff

Banned
Gez said:
Fucken Steam wiped 5 hours off from my playtime, fix this shit Gabe.

Anyway really loving the game so far, I'm up to China right after the first boss. I'm taking my sweat ass time with this game exploring every crook and cranny.

Things that bug me alittle when compared to Deus Ex 1

* No lock picking (and yet there is lockpicking in 2052)
* Besides blowing them up, you can't smash open boxes
* Can't directly hack turrets (besides hacking a computer)
* I know Adam has those blade Augs, but why can't i smash boxes and shit with them?
* No melee weapons (Swords, knifes, batons, crowbars, Dragon Tooth Sword) besides Adams 'contextual' augs
* Can't blow open doors , storage and safes (alot of doors and storage in DX1 can be blown open instead of picklocked)

Having said that i still feel this is a 9 to 10 out of 10 game. I really love the way like DX1 there is more than one way of approaching something.
Yeah, for better or for worse there are fewer elements compared to DX1 in exchange for an entirely different level of polish. I think the key thing is, like you said, it retains the core focus on player choice, both in how to approach things and how to augment your character. I'm still in the second hub, but assuming the game holds up, outside of a longshot in Totori I don't see any real competition as far as GotY goes.

EatChildren said:
You dont need to play stealth. You can play Terminator if you'd prefer.
Though if you do you'll probably want to invest in dermal armor quickly. You can't take much punishment at all, at least on Deus Ex difficulty.

pahamrick

Untracked said:
I don't (was going stealthy) but I have a few Praxis points. I'll upgrade and give it a try. Thanks.

Just as a note, typhoon requires ammo too. I think you get one shot when you purchase it, but since I knew I was going to get it I was always hoarding ammo I found / could buy from the very beginning. It's been pretty good for me as a boss helper (I'm mostly stealth right now, too.)

The Stealth Fox

Stallion Free said:
I don't get why people keep saying this? Did they not play Deus Ex 1? The stealth is exactly like the original.

It's different. However, there's nothing wrong with stealing from the best stealth formula out there. Deus Ex's stealth wasn't very good.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I just finished Hengshua in one sitting right now, but did anyone manage to find the silencer mod for the Pistol early? Or did I just miss it? :(

I really hadn't been paying attention to this game at all due to the preconceived notion that it was being dumb downed and looked more action focused then the original. Thankfully those initial worries and doubts have been thrown to the wayside since it's release and after hearing so much fantastic word of mouth, I picked up the game last night.

Had some DX11 issues and my framerate was taking a nosedive, but after a quick graphics card driver update I'm back up to 60. Loved the intro movie - definitely sets a tone very quickly. I really want to play through this game right away, but may have to put it on the shelf until I get more free time. Right now I only get to put major time in games on the weekend, and this seems like one of those games that I wouldn't want to get really involved in and then have to shelve it for a week.

Also, kudos to the OP, fantastic layout and great information.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Meisadragon said:
I just finished Hengshua in one sitting right now, but did anyone manage to find the silencer mod for the Pistol early? Or did I just miss it? :(
One of the sellers in Hengshua sells it, and one in Detroit. You'll be able to get it in the hub after the level you're going to.

Meisadragon said:
The vendor in the boarded up gas station in Detroit sells it at the start for 500 cr.

Radec

Just got the game. At $40 and those high review scores, how can i say no.

Oh and it includes a voucher code.

I hope it impresses me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Heavy said:
The vendor in the boarded up gas station in Detroit sells it at the start for 500 cr.
Are you sure it's that guy? He never had a silencer when I went there and I visited him a lot. They guy in the basement of the brothel in Hengshua had it though.

Dakota47

Meisadragon said:

I'm looking for that one too.

Gez said:
Thats another point, the boxes dont have anything in them, in DX1 they do.
Would you knock it if it didn't have exploding barrels as well? Personally I don't see that as a big problem. There's not really enough loot to make exploring that exiting anyway since you're already making more money than you can spend. They'd have to make that bit more interesting before I start complaining about not having enough shit to sift through.
mxgt said:
Just finished Detroit and like everyone else it seems I hated the boss fight. What a pain in the ass as a stealth character.
He's really very, very easy for a stealth character. Even on the hardest difficulty. Stock up on EMP:s (if not there are a few scattered around the area), if you have the rocket launcher (i.e. knew the boss was coming) three rockets and a barrel followed by some shotgun rounds (or whatever you have) will do the trick. If you don't then chuck barrels and grenades at him. His "awareness" works like every other character. If you stun him and run around him or manage to sneak without him seeing he won't know where you are.

I'm also pretty sure that the stun gun would work since you can find one with ammo in that area, I didn't have time to check. I also suspect that the fire extinguishers will mess with him.

I knew he was coming so I could stock up beforehand, but I cleared it pretty much without getting hit. There are a lot of ways to rough him up. He feels a lot like a Metal Gear Solid boss.
Heavy said:
I think it's actually the vendor across from the basketball court (with the two drug dealers), up the fire escape through the first window.

Derrick01

Banned
Meisadragon said:

Pretty sure someone in Detroit sells it. I remember getting one extremely early in the game.

RoboPlato said:
Are you sure it's that guy? He never had a silencer when I went there and I visited him a lot. They guy in the basement of the brothel in Hengshua had it though.
I'm pretty sure, yeah. I bought it in the beginning of the game and remember paying 500 cr

Untracked

pahamrick said:
Just as a note, typhoon requires ammo too. I think you get one shot when you purchase it, but since I knew I was going to get it I was always hoarding ammo I found / could buy from the very beginning. It's been pretty good for me as a boss helper (I'm mostly stealth right now, too.)
I only had 1 Praxis point so I couldn't activate typhoon, but I did manage to
gas grenade the bitch.
Thanks anyway.
Hopefully it'll be a good while before the next boss!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Danne-Danger said:
I think it's actually the vendor across from the basketball court (with the two drug dealers), up the fire escape through the first window.
It's probably this guy. I'm sure it isn't the one in the gas station.

SLV

Anilusion said:
Alright, apparently this game will crash a lot if you are running it on a RAID0 drive. So if you are, download Steam mover and move your game folder to a non-raid harddrive. I just did and now it works perfectly!

-_- well that might explain things, my whole massive is a raid 10 ....

Anyone got any idea how the original Deus Ex sold? PC game sales are hard to come by. I'm not really sure whether it was a huge success or a cult classic.

Regardless, I'm hoping this one does big things.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
T Primex said:
Hey, I've been thinking about giving this game a rental because it sounds super cool (story/setting wise) but I have not played the original and I remember playing Invisible War very very briefly at a buddy's. I had a couple questions/concerns before I do though. One is the game length. I've heard from some places it's 30 hours and others it's 20. How long is game if I just worry about the main story and most of the side missions without worrying about doing all the achievements? Secondly, I heard there's quite a bit of stealth which I've never really been into. Would it be enjoyable to play it as a shooter with some hacking/smooth talking to get out of conflicts? Sneaking around corners and in vents with stun guns doesn't really appeal to me and if the game is more aiming you in that direction I think I'll pass.
20 if you don't do any side missions. So if you do a moderate amount of side missions and all main missions while exploring etc, it'll be around 25-30. You don't always have to rely on stealth since that's one of the game's accolades by reviewers. You can play however you want and it'll still be extremely enjoyable and that's why multiple playthroughs are encouraged.

Is there a way to save (heavy story spoilers, better highlight if you finished the game)
Malak? I will try to do it next time, as stealth character sucks for that. However, the game gives you very little time before the chopper starts to burn/gas appears. Should I just rush them the moment the sequence starts?

Anyway, no time have I hated my pacifist run as much as now. I'm so going to butcher them all next time.

Having a hard time hacking, when i get to the skill level 2 devices I seem to get busted right away and time runs out and I fail. Could anyone give me some tips.

Outtrigger888 said:
Having a hard time hacking, when i get to the skill level 2 devices I seem to get busted right away and time runs out and I fail. Could anyone give me some tips.

Invest points in Stealth Hacking (lowers detection rate) or Fortify (increases node rating). The moment the trace starts it will go straight for your entry node, if all nodes in-between have high rating it will take way more time to locate you.

Deadbeat

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
His name is Seurat. like the painter.
Castor Krieg said:
Is there a way to save (heavy story spoilers, better highlight if you finished the game)
Malak? I will try to do it next time, as stealth character sucks for that. However, the game gives you very little time before the chopper starts to burn/gas appears. Should I just rush them the moment the sequence starts?

Anyway, no time have I hated my pacifist run as much as now. I'm so going to butcher them all next time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f84NGi7IqE

Tacitus_

Castor Krieg said:

Yeah, it's possible. Some crazy son of a bitch even did it non lethally. You just need to be as good as the goddamn batman.

BobsRevenge

Castor Krieg said:

Yup, you can. Fortunately for me I wasn't going the pacifist route and had a rocket launcher and heavy rifle handy.

I imagine you could still do it with tranqs and an EMP grenade.

Castor Krieg said:
Invest points in Stealth Hacking (lowers detection rate) or Fortify (increases node rating). The moment the trace starts it will go straight for your entry node, if all nodes in-between have high rating it will take way more time to locate you.
Put points into stealth rather than fortify. If you have hacking 5 you'll have enough stops and nukes to get by in the rare case that you fall behind the clock. Hacking stealth is pretty much essential though. I have fortified like... one node, ever, and that was just to try it out.

Also, I noticed yesterday that if you hack the node where the trace starts, you'll complete the hack and get all bonus nodes without having to go for them. It'll only work as long as you haven't been detected though.

wutwutwut

BobsRevenge said:
Yup, you can. Fortunately for me I wasn't going the pacifist route and had a rocket launcher and heavy rifle handy.

I imagine you could still do it with tranqs and an EMP grenade.
I did it with tranqs + stun gun + EMP.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gez said:
* Can't blow open doors , storage and safes (alot of doors and storage in DX1 can be blown open instead of picklocked)

Safes no, but many doors in the game can be destroyed via explosives.

BobsRevenge

Danne-Danger said:
Put points into stealth rather than fortify. If you have hacking 5 you'll have enough stops and nukes to get by in the rare case that you fall behind the clock. Hacking stealth is pretty much essential though. I have fortified like... one node, ever, and that was just to try it out.

Also, I noticed yesterday that if you hack the node where the trace starts, you'll complete the hack and get all bonus nodes without having to go for them. It'll only work as long as you haven't been detected though.
I wonder what a minimal hack playthrough would be like. I was hacked pretty much everything put in front of me in the one i just completed. hmmmmmm

My next playthrough might be interesting...

I'll wait a few months for it though.

edit: Also, I'm really glad they got rid of picklocking. It really helps the experience.

edit2:
wutwutwut said:
You'd miss out on a lot of the backstory for one. I really liked getting to know more about the world through those emails.
True, but tbh, I skimmed through everything pretty quickly anyways. The backstory wasn't terribly exciting imo.

wutwutwut

BobsRevenge said:
I wonder what a minimal hack playthrough would be like. I was hacked pretty much everything put in front of me in the one i just completed. hmmmmmm
You'd miss out on a lot of the backstory for one. I really liked getting to know more about the world through those emails.

BobsRevenge said:

My next playthrough might be interesting...

I'll wait a few months for it though.

edit: Also, I'm really glad they got rid of picklocking. It really helps the experience.
I would be tempted if I had the DLC with the "unlock anything" cheat items. :p

Though I figure you can get by with a violent explosive build that's immune to electricity and gas as well.

JWong

Banned
Question: Is it less fun if I put it on easy? I don't want to waste time on dying multiple times on difficult spots, but I do like some challenge.

Vlodril

I finally realised whom i was reminded by adam's Vo. It was the guy from justified and deadwood. It was driving me nuts.

JWong said:
Question: Is it less fun if I put it on easy? I don't want to waste time on dying multiple times on difficult spots, but I do like some challenge.
Are you going stealth or combat? With stealth I'd recommend going for the hardest difficulty just to "encourage" better play from you.

Danne-Danger said:
Are you going stealth or combat? With stealth I'd recommend going for the hardest difficulty just to "encourage" better play from you.

The boss fights bro. Oh god the boss fights. Second one had me restarting like 20 times on Hard.

dmshaposv

Vlodril said:
I finally realised whom i was reminded by adam's Vo. It was the guy from justified and deadwood. It was driving me nuts.

Actually one of the reviews nailed the VO - Timothy Olyphant doing an Eastwood.

Derrick01

Banned
JWong said:

I'm not having much trouble on hard but normal is too easy for people with video game experience. You're not going to get any challenge on easy except for the bosses maybe.

JWong

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
Oooh I like Stealth. I'll do that.

Maybe I'll run some cheats if the going gets tough since there appears to be some debug left ingame.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
The boss fights bro. Oh god the boss fights. Second one had me restarting like 20 times on Hard.
Well you can just lower it then! No harm done if you were going to go on an easier difficulty anyway. Personally, I almost find it a bit too easy with stealth even on the hardest difficulty. Have only seen one boss so far though, I hope the next one is as good as the first! Mohaha.
JWong said:
Oooh I like Stealth. I'll do that.

Maybe I'll run some cheats if the going gets tough since there appears to be some debug left ingame.
You can lower the difficulty on the fly, the only thing that'll prevent is you getting an achievement for beating it on hardest.

Zaptruder

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:

I killed her three times, because I kept skipping the cutscene by accident!

Invis and energy bars work a treat though.

Is there a bonus for killing everyone/dealing with everyone? I'm afraid losing Ghost bonus everytime will make a huge difference in EXP gained.

cackhyena

So I've only done one side mission in Hengsha. I've been all over and done a bit of the main mission. I'm not coming across the side missions like I did in Detroit. Will the main story lead into them. If not,. someone tell me where I gotta look, please?

Gvaz

Banned
Q8D3vil said:
so download is about to finish but i have question.
can i play the game with 360 pad ?
because 360 = 40 inch tv
k & m = 24 inch monitor
I'm your 40 inch is probably lower resolution so I'd say stick with teh 24 inch.

Top Bottom