• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

The Stealth Fox

Solo said:
No, it makes the game more challenging/forces you to make hard decisions.
Locking out abilities would limit the multiple solution gameplay. If I lock out strength in favor wall punching, I've limited my choice in entering a certain area. Having multiple solutions (some of which are favored based on upgraded skills, but all are POSSIBLE) is the essence of Deus Ex. Sure, there are some routes that are locked out by not having the Landing System at that point of the game, but to extend that philosophy to every augmentation would create the pitfall that the developers successfully avoided... "Here's the stealth route" or here's the "wall punching route"

OG Kush

In need of urgent help here. Bought the ps3 version today and there are so many graphical glitches... random clipping (textures sticking out of the heads of Jensen and guards etc), crazy black texture pop ins (just black blobs in the game world basically and textures just flashing stupidly), occasionaly the screen will flash green for a millisecon and just overall really bad graphical glitches. At first I thought it was my ps3 but then I tried different games and demos and they were fine...
anyone recommend what I should do here? Can I return it, will they accept it now that I've opened? It's really ruining the experince for me.

cackhyena

Solo said:
True, but it wouldn't make sense. How do you explain why when you upgrade to be able to punch walls, all of a sudden that strength doesn't translate to lifting something heavier. Yeah, it would make it more difficult, but it would also feel gamier.

cackhyena said:
True, but it wouldn't make sense. How do you explain why when you upgrade to be able to punch walls, all of a sudden that strength doesn't translate to lifting something heavier. Yeah, it would make it more difficult, but it would also feel gamier.
Bender can't lift heavy things, he only bends!

cackhyena said:

Can you explain why I can punch through a concrete wall but not a door?

Solo

cackhyena said:

Well, its kind of obvious that you'd have to put some thought into it and make logical decisions. What you posted wouldn't be logical. But something like locking out the jump aug if you've got an aug to carry more inventory would.

Quick question: When I drop something in my apartmeny, will it remain there after I leave? And if the answer is no, is there a place to store some of my stuff?

cackhyena

Solo said:
Well, its kind of obvious that you'd have to put some thought into it and make logical decisions. What you posted wouldn't be logical. But something like locking out the jump aug if you've got an aug to carry more inventory would.
Totally, that I'm on board with. I just posted what whathisface did. I think there could be a happy medium. I'm still loving this game, though.

charsace

Solo said:
Locking things out is something I hated about Deus Ex. You're supposed to be super human, the future. The sky is the limit is the approach they took with this and I'm glad they did. I like that they give you real power in this.

I love walking into a room and shooting someone with explosive ammo, then using the faster sprint to get to two guards before they can react and doing a multi-takedown, super jumping over some office dividers, and then taking cover and then going invisible while the AI is hostile.

Varna

Wow. I've had forever but I never really needed to use it. The stealth field made the segment after finding
Tai Yong
so damn easy.

The first Deus Ex made me stress out for hours which aug I should get. It made it more challenging. But I am a different person now, with less time and less resistance to frustration. I am glad it is the way it is now.

Derrick01

Banned
I think I'm in the final stretches here and I'm really enjoying this area. Lots of buildings and courtyard areas with multiple points of entry, unfortunately I find most of them after I've already cleared the prior room.

To clarify where I am,
I'm rescuing the 3 doctors, 2/3 so far and I need to get Eric

Draft

EatChildren said:
I still think BioShock is, in the grand scheme of things, exceptionally overrated due to how the game fell apart for the last third, but yes, and this was basically what I was getting at. BioShock was a great game by its own merits, but a notably shitty 'Shock' game and not even in the ballpark of a faithful revival. Human Revolution, even with its changes, for better or worse retains a good Deus Ex feeling, rather than feeling like a complete reboot that has next to nothing in common with its roots.
I agree. Human Revolution is a Deus Ex game for the HD console, $30 million dollar budget era. It succeeds as a Deus Ex game and as a mass market friendly AAA game. Bioshock abandons ton of the stuff that made System Shock special in order to reach that same mass market friendliness. Ken Levine could learn a thing or two from the team at Eidos Montreal.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Solo said:

I'm totally down with the aug lockouts coming back, but I dont think they should be based on the current system, eg: locking the jump aug out if you have the inventory aug. I think the aug sheet, as it is, should remain largely the same, with just as much free selection and mixing and matching.

I'd like to see them return in a similar way to augs in Deus Ex - special upgrades that appear sparingly throughout the game world. They could either be exactly the same, hidden requiring discovery, or simply a perk system not unlike Fallout, that activates under special conditions.

Mixing both systems would allow the current aug system, with changes and refinements, to exist without the return of skills, and still allow for some special super augs and abilities that require a bit more choice from the player.

Draft said:
I agree. Human Revolution is a Deus Ex game for the HD console, $30 million dollar budget era. It succeeds as a Deus Ex game and as a mass market friendly AAA game. Bioshock abandons ton of the stuff that made System Shock special in order to reach that same mass market friendliness. Ken Levine could learn a thing or two from the team at Eidos Montreal.

Pretty much. I hate to rat on BioShock because I loved my time with it, but I honestly think that the game frequently gets a free pass from people who'd otherwise bitch and moan about streamlining and dumbing down of a series. For good reason, as BioShock is both a great game, and a lot of people who played and loved it had little to know experience with System Shock.

But it was a really shitty successor to the 'Shock name, and far less faithful to the series than Invisible War was to Deus Ex.

The Stealth Fox

DX1's augmentation system had a lot of bloat. All you really needed was regen and that was it.

In terms of skills, all you needed was Level 1 hacking and a little bit of lockpicking and multitools and then you could dump whatever stuff into the combat stuff you like.

Solo

Draft said:

Given Bioshock's unanimous critical acclaim, multiple GOTY wins and 4M + copies sold, I doubt Levine is losing any sleep.

Deadbeat

Banned
I got a better idea. How about they dont give so many praxis points that I have 80% of the stuff unlocked in the latter part of the game?

Ridley327

Question about the Acquaintances Forgotten sidequest (slightly spoiler-y):
does giving Radford the lethal dose of morphine count against you with regards to the Pacifist achievement?

MrMephistoX

OG Kush said:
In need of urgent help here. Bought the ps3 version today and there are so many graphical glitches... random clipping (textures sticking out of the heads of Jensen and guards etc), crazy black texture pop ins (just black blobs in the game world basically and textures just flashing stupidly), occasionaly the screen will flash green for a millisecon and just overall really bad graphical glitches. At first I thought it was my ps3 but then I tried different games and demos and they were fine...
anyone recommend what I should do here? Can I return it, will they accept it now that I've opened? It's really ruining the experince for me.
No way you can return it open: eBay? Or GAf's buy Sell Trade thread.

Gala

I got an additional explosive mission pack key, is anyone willing to trade it for an tactical enhancement pack key?

KorrZ

Solo said:

I don't think locking people out is the way to go about it. What they need to do is add more useful augs in the current system. You get all the best things and don't have to make many choices because a lot of the augs are useless.

KorrZ said:
I don't think locking people out is the way to go about it. What they need to do is add more useful augs in the current system. You get all the best things and don't have to make many choices because a lot of the augs are useless.

Of course it's the way to go about it, if you want to make a Deus Ex game that is.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One thing I thought was weird was the surprisingly large focus on Australian related events in the Deus Ex universe, something I'm far from used to in video games. There's even an email from one Australian citizen John Howard to be found.

Draft

Solo said:
Given Bioshock's unanimous critical acclaim, multiple GOTY wins and 4M + copies sold, I doubt Levine is losing any sleep.
Well I bet Bobby Kotick doesn't give a shit what forum trolls think about his games, either, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't strive to improve.

Anilusion

Gala said:
I got an additional explosive mission pack key, is anyone willing to trade it for an tactical enhancement pack key?

I don't have a tactical enhancement key, but I'd love that explosive mission pack key <3

I can give you some TF2 items for it!

Solo

Draft said:
Well I bet Bobby Kotick doesn't give a shit what forum trolls think about his games, either, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't strive to improve.

Did you miss the critical acclaim + multiple GOTY winner part? I would imagine that in Levine's mind there isn't much he needs improve on. Bioshock Infinity will be cut from that same cloth and likely achieve results review/sales-wise also cut from that same cloth.

Deadbeat

Banned
Solo said:
Did you miss the critical acclaim + multiple GOTY winner part? I would imagine that in Levine's mind there isn't much he needs improve on.
Well you can go play the watered down version of System Shock 2 and I will go play a better game. Eidos Montreal didnt feel the need to dumb down their games. Kevin Levine does.

Gvaz

Banned
malingenie said:
My only complaint is that energy cells don't recharge past the one. I would drop 3 praxis points on an aug that would recharge the next cell with time.
Yeah candy bars should really be changed to "recharges all cells" and each battery recharges on its own, with time.

EatChildren

Deadbeat said:
Well you can go play the watered down version of System Shock 2 and I will go play a better game.

'Watered down' is a generous :p.

EatChildren said:
One thing I thought was weird was the surprisingly large focus on Australian related events in the Deus Ex universe, something I'm far from used to in video games. There's even an email from one Australian citizen John Howard to be found.
Have fun being invaded by China.

KorrZ

Confidence Man said:
Of course it's the way to go about it, if you want to make a Deus Ex game that is.

The first Deus Ex has the same basic problem. Okay, so you have to pick between one Aug or the other, except usual only one of them is worthwhile. Is there really any reason to pick anything besides Ballistic Protection, Regeneration, Power Recirculator? I think the current system works fine, they just need to make more of the augs actually useful so you have to make decisions, and maybe lower the amount of Praxis Points you get.

Gattsu25

Banned
Saw this in the black culture thread:

Deus Ex: Human Racial Tension
If you have not yet been introduced to Tish, now is your chance to say hello. She has a very small (non spoilery) role in Deus Ex: Human Revolution and she's ... well ... let's just say that her characterization has a little something of the fifties about it.

It really is a fantastic game, but I'm not sure how Eidos Montreal expected this little thing to go unnoticed.
When I got to this part I had to shake my head.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Deadbeat said:
I got a better idea. How about they dont give so many praxis points that I have 80% of the stuff unlocked in the latter part of the game?
I think they gave a perfect amount of Praxis points, the problem is simply they needed more skills. If they could have added in maybe another 6-7 skills, it would have forced choice more.

Gvaz

Banned
Solo said:
But Bioshock is great. Its no System Shock, but its great in its own way.
Well you're right about one thing. Bioshock is no System Shock. System Shock 2 shits all over the Bioshock series and then proceeds to sleep with his mom, lighting a cigarette afterwards and feeling like a million bucks.

Gattsu25 said:
Saw this in the black culture thread:

Deus Ex: Human Racial TensionWhen I got to this part I had to shake my head.
Jim Sterling.

Enjoying it so far. Feels just like the first Deus Ex, but with a bit of weight to your movements. Awesome. It even comes with Deus Ex's Protagonist With A Monotone Voice TM! Bwahahaha.

Oh, entering your apartment for the first time is just lovely.

Timber

I'm still screwing around in Detroit, playing a stealth character on Gimme DE difficulty, and I'm damn terrified of the idea of a bossfight. I'm gonna get traumatic Alpha Protocol flashbacks, I know it.

Haven't fired a single bullet, lethal or no, in like the last five hours.

taoofjord

I really, really, really want to love this game but so far I don't. I'm forcing myself to continue playing it hoping that it will click for me. It's very much a Deus Ex/non-linear late 90's pc game but the mechanics are too uninspired. The world just doesn't feel alive.

For example: You always have more than one route to take, and there's almost always the same few choices to get to where you're going (through a vent by exploring, hacking, pushing your way through the main entrance) with, so far (and I'm still in Detroit) no variation to it. The loot is limited to a very few amount of items, making searching for it a somewhat boring. Loot is always found in the same types of drawers, the rooms in the apartments are all very similar. The main ways to gain information is primarily through computers and PDA stuff. Where's the storytelling through the environment?

The game is also extraordinarily slow paced. I don't mind slow pacing but I still want the down time to be interesting.

I love a lot about this game but I don't love the game itself. I think the devs here are quite talented and have the heart and minds in the right spot but if they improve the weak areas in this game I think they'll really make something quite special.

Solo

Gvaz said:
Well you're right about one thing. Bioshock is no System Shock. System Shock 2 shits all over the Bioshock series and then proceeds to sleep with his mom, lighting a cigarette afterwards and feeling like a million bucks.

And DX is better than IW and HR. Big deal. Like Bioshock, HR is still a very good game.

You also need to include a weapon that completely breaks the gameplay and makes every other path effectively worthless if you want to make a proper Deus Ex game too.

I don't think HR trumps the original title (not as ambitious and misses some of the bigger picture ideas) but this constant evangelizing of Deus Ex is bordering on absurd.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah I'm one of the last people to think things are racist but even I thought her voice was crossing the line. I was half expecting her to pull a Popeye's box out of the trash can she was digging in.

Draft

Solo said:
Did you miss the critical acclaim + multiple GOTY winner part? I would imagine that in Levine's mind there isn't much he needs improve on. Bioshock Infinity will be cut from that same cloth and likely achieve results review/sales-wise also cut from that same cloth.
No, I didn't miss half of your one sentence post. You apparently did miss the context of my post, which is that where Human Revolution succeeds at retaining a lot of what made Deus Ex great, Bioshock jettisons much of what System Shock 2 great. Whether Bioshock is a good game is irrelevant to Bioshock being a poor sequel to System Shock 2.

Gvaz

Banned
Solo said:
And DX is better than IW and HR. Big deal. Like Bioshock, HR is still a very good game.
I haven't played DX past the first level after liberty island (blew up some civilians by accident and quit) but HR is probably the best game I've played in a while. But I hated Bioshock, especially when I played System Shock 2 immediately after beating them both so I'm probably the wrong person to try arguing this line of discussion with.

I'll prolly play the first dx after this one and end up hating HR, who knows!

tiff

Banned
Solo said:
If that's his metric for quality then I won't feel too bad about skipping out on the rest of his work.

Top Bottom