• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Tacitus_

LuchaShaq said:
Anyone found a complete non spoiler list of where to get the sidequests?

Also the locker for the early "mom" sidequest, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get there...

Enjoying it alot more than I thought I would so far.

The evidence locker? You can climb/jump a fence, go through the sewers and I think there was a third way as well.

epmode said:
If I had to complain, my biggest issue is with the skill system. The skills are great, don't get me wrong. ..but goddammit, they balanced it so that it's possible to max out nearly every skill in one playthrough. For a game so concerned with decisions and consequences, this is a big disappointment (even though I'm not surprised).

They intended a player going for a 'full' experience to get roughly 80% of the augs by the end of the game. The choice is more when you get your augs and in what order.

epmode said:
If I had to complain, my biggest issue is with the skill system. The skills are great, don't get me wrong. ..but goddammit, they balanced it so that it's possible to max out nearly every skill in one playthrough. For a game so concerned with decisions and consequences, this is a big disappointment (even though I'm not surprised).
Agreed, like I said a page back it feels like for the most part the experience is homogenized in this regard. A slight blemish, along with the no melee/odd energy use, nothing too bad though.

Enco

LuchaShaq said:
Anyone found a complete non spoiler list of where to get the sidequests?

Also the locker for the early "mom" sidequest, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get there...

Enjoying it alot more than I thought I would so far.
For the mom one, I
piled a load of boxes on top of each other and jumped over the fence to the left of the police station

I'm trying to stay away from spoilers/walkthroughs. This is one game you should figure out for your self.

The Stealth Fox said:
I agree with you generally, but maybe I'm missing something or didn't explore enough, but I don't think DX1's level design was more intricate than DX3. I'm including hub worlds in the discussion too.

I thought DX1 kind of got more linear as the game progressed since they started throwing hordes of enemies at you...

as weird as it sounds, it's the swimming that gives DX1's levels the edge.

Human Revolution's levels are still incredible. I played DX1, DXHR and Invisible War roughly the same way. I'd look for as many entrances as I could find. Invisible War was painfully unimpressive, except for one mission early in the game. DX1 and DXHR are fantastic, and even after looking, they still surprise me. I can be in an area, find an exit, and discover an entirely new entrance that way.

The Stealth Fox

Tacitus_ said:
They intended a player going for a 'full' experience to get roughly 80% of the augs by the end of the game. The choice is more when you get your augs and in what order.
I tend to take this perspective.

It's not about what you are at the end, but the way you become it.

The Stealth Fox

Linkzg said:
as weird as it sounds, it's the swimming that gives DX1's levels the edge.

Human Revolution's levels are still incredible. I played DX1, DXHR and Invisible War roughly the same way. I'd look for as many entrances as I could find. Invisible War was painfully unimpressive, except for one mission early in the game. DX1 and DXHR are fantastic, and even after looking, they still surprise me. I can be in an area, find an exit, and discover an entirely new entrance that way.

I never touched swimming because everyone in the world said it was useless. Maybe that's why.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Enco said:
For the mom one, I
piled a load of boxes on top of each other and jumped over the fence to the left of the police station

I'm trying to stay away from spoilers/walkthroughs. This is one game you should figure out for your self.

I was trying to do that but failing miserably.

I don't want a walkthrough, just to know where to get any side quests I missed before I leave Detroit later is all.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Derrick01 said:
Yeah it's pretty close at least. All you need is a little creativity and of course the right tools in the area.

I got tired of being spotted while I was on computers from people outside that saw me through the window, so I surrounded them with large crates and vending machines. Good luck escaping that!

lol, never thought of that, I'll need to try that out. I did a similar thing with turrets before I could hack them.

wutwutwut

The Stealth Fox said:
I never touched swimming because everyone in the world said it was useless. Maybe that's why.
Everyone in the world said the swimming skill was useless. Swimming itself was pretty useful.

The Stealth Fox

wutwutwut said:
Everyone in the world said the swimming skill was useless. Swimming itself was pretty useful.
Well, a lot of the water alternate routes that I entirely avoided involved me upgrading swimming so I was like "Naahhhhhhh".

wutwutwut said:
This was something I really liked about Deus Ex, on replaying I would take all sorts of skill/aug combinations to change up my playstyle. In one where I forced myself to max out swimming first, I ended up finding routes I never would have before.

epmode said:
Just got to Hengsha. While I think that the first game wins out in the end, this is an infinitely better conversion to modern game design than Bioshock was for System Shock. Brilliant game.
No doubt. I was extremely disappointed with Bioshock's departure from System Shock's more complex mechanics. I was expecting an evolution and instead I got a regression.

This game, on the other hand, is everything I hoped for it to be. There are some minor things I have issues with, but the experience as a whole is most certainly worthy of the Deus Ex name. Human Revolution is definitely one of the best games I've played in this generation. It's right up there with Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption, and Vanquish. Eidos Montreal did a fucking fantastic job.

wutwutwut

The Stealth Fox said:
Well, a lot of the water alternate routes that I entirely avoided involved me upgrading swimming so I was like "Naahhhhhhh".
Nope, you simply didn't need to upgrade swimming beyond moving from untrained to trained. Trained gave you enough oxygen to survive most routes, and you had enough oxygen tank thingies for the rest.

edit: the worst I remember was that underwater aug upgrade canister in Hong Kong guarded by one of those monsters. I remember it taking me two oxygen tanks to get that.

Volcynika

Crazy bug in PC version, was exploring Derelict Row, saw a guy standing there looking away. Suddenly he shot up straight into the air and never came back.

I was laughing and confused at the same time.

Wallach

Volcynika said:
Crazy bug in PC version, was exploring Derelict Row, saw a guy standing there looking away. Suddenly he shot up straight into the air and never came back.

Sounds like his people needed him.

the madman

Neo Member
k2n6np.gif

may be a repost but...LOL

DaBuddaDa

Not to derail, but was Bioshock ever explicitly supposed to be another System Shock game in the same way Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Deus Ex game? DX:HR is a direct sequel (prequel) to Deus Ex in the same franchise. I always thought Bioshock was more of a spiritual successor in terms of mood and themes, not a direct sequel in the same franchise through gameplay mechanics.

charsace

Volcynika said:

Maybe that's why the guy posted to pick up the broccoli and lube? Because the aliens don't use lube and love eating broccoli?

Wallach

DaBuddaDa said:
Not to derail, but was Bioshock ever explicitly supposed to be another System Shock game in the same way Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Deus Ex game? DX:HR is a direct sequel (prequel) to Deus Ex in the same franchise. I always thought Bioshock was more of a spiritual successor in terms of mood and themes, not a direct sequel in the same franchise through gameplay mechanics.

They're not part of the same franchise, no.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
My thoughts on the ending.

While I love the game's ending style and how it told me what had happened to society after the whole Panchaea incident, I am really irked by how they didn't unravel whatever happened to the characters. Is it canon that everyone in Panchaea died after it self-destructed or something? I understand that the game is about humans and society, not so much the character themselves, but still...

Enco

the madman said:
http://i53.tinypic.com/k2n6np.gif[/IM G]

may be a repost but...LOL[/QUOTE]
I prefer the bazooka one :lol

This game does a good job of making me feel awesome. When I found out that (very minor spoiler) [spoiler]the riot that's talked about got violent because someone shot into the crowd using a sniper for good tv[/spoiler] a huge grin popped on to my face.

This is easily the best gaming atmosphere I have ever experienced.

Gvaz

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
It was stated as a Spiritual Sequel but having played both there is a lot of things in the design that are similar to SS2, but having played both the whole thing is really just four steps back. It's rather astounding.

Twinduct

Hmm starting to think that some of my crashes seems to be related to steam. The last four crashes all correlate with steam's 'news' popping up once the game CTDs.

A Human Becoming said:
Where? I can't find anyone who will. Maybe I'm at the wrong hotel? :\ Hengsha is annoying to navigate through.
The hotel that you start on top of when you're flown to Hengsha. On the ground floor of the hotel there's a sliding door where you'll find the weapon merchant.

wutwutwut

You know, my only serious quibble with the game is that by the end of it you can get way too many praxis points. They should have set the limit at around 15 fewer points I think.
Hmm starting to think that some of my crashes seems to be related to steam. The last four crashes all correlate with steam's 'news' popping up once the game CTDs.
That's unrelated. Steam pops up update news whenever it detects a game exiting, properly or not.

Lingitiz

A Human Becoming said:
Yeah I can't find anyone. The only people there I see are civilians and working girls.
Right after you enter turn right then take a door on the left. There should be a guy with a shop set up. A bit vague but its the best I can do haha.

george_us

Ten or so hours later and I'm having a blast with it...until I got to the first boss fight. Whoever designed this needs to die in a meteor crash.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Tacitus_ said:
I'm surprised so many are falling for the
LIMB biochip conspiracy
. Didn't you pay attention at all to what TYM was doing?
I knew it and I still got it
I figured whatever later consequences weren't as annoying as the glitches.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
wutwutwut said:
You know, my only serious quibble with the game is that by the end of it you can get way too many praxis points. They should have set the limit at around 15 fewer points I think.

It is about how you get there not what you look like when you arrive.

Semi-End area spoilers...
By the time you reach the end, the amount of praxis points you have won't amount to much. It is much more about how you ucstomize yourself along the way.

Derrick01

Banned
shintoki said:
53k+ Now playing this on Steam, highest its been yet.

That's a really impressive number for a single player game. I don't even think Witcher 2 pulled that, though it may have I honestly don't remember that far back.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
george_us said:
Ten or so hours later and I'm having a blast with it...until I got to the first boss fight. Whoever designed this needs to die in a meteor crash.
I didn't have any problem at a with the first boss. 3 frag grenades and a couple bullets took him down. I'm playing as stealthily as I can so I wound up having the frags stored up.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Rickenslacker said:
The hotel that you start on top of when you're flown to Hengsha. On the ground floor of the hotel there's a sliding door where you'll find the weapon merchant.
Lingitiz said:
Right after you enter turn right then take a door on the left. There should be a guy with a shop set up. A bit vague but its the best I can do haha.
Linkzg said:
check the wall on the first floor. think wolfenstein.

Yeah I was at the wrong hotel. Man I can't even remember where I started from.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I've been playing this all day long.

I can't stop. That's unhealthy. The boss in Detroit went down fast btw.

Also Cloak and Daggers quest bugged on me. The guy spawned on the floor to which I don't have an access.

the madman

Neo Member
subversus said:
I've been playing this all day long.

I can't stop. That's unhealthy. The boss in Detroit went down fast btw.

Also Cloak and Daggers quest bugged on me. The guy spawned on the floor to which I don't have an access.

yeah after all the fuss everyone made about them I thought it was going to be more of a pain in the ass. he took me like 2 minutes to beat. of course I am playing on normal mode.

Top Bottom