• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

The Stealth Fox

I'm of the opinion that HR is as good as the first DX, and the first time I played DX1 was a month before DX3 came out.

While DX3 is missing one thing that made things awesome in DX1 (thinking outside the box moments like blowing up Anna Navarre so you never even have to fight her, however I compare saving Paul Denton to saving
Farida Malik
because if an unfamiliar gamer comes upon these moments he would think saving them is impossible because of how easy it is for them to get killed), DX3 refines what DX1 did wrong while having some weak spots on its own (the bosses, which make up less than an 30 minutes of the 25 or so hour experience). So I see it as a trade-off really, but whatever things each game did wrong more than made up for it in it's style and gameplay.

Question about later in Detroit hub:
So I saved Zeke in the beginning and now before the highland park mission I got a side quest that led me to him and he gave me a pocket secretary with a code and login/pass... where do I input these? Also, I wonder if I should kill Zeke... lol. I've been playing as a hero and not killing any innocents, only gang members and such. Zeke is kind of in the middle there and I'd feel bad about killing him since he was nice enough to "repay his debt". I wonder if it would have repercussions later in the game. I think I won't kill him. Anyway, about the code? If you can avoid story spoilers that would be great, thanks.

pahamrick

Gala said:
I got an additional explosive mission pack key, is anyone willing to trade it for an tactical enhancement pack key?

I'll gift you Portal 1 for it on Steam.
No one needs Portal 1 anymore lol :(

Heavy said:
Question about later in Detroit hub:

Its good for an area you'll go to towards the end of the Detroit hub.

taoofjord said:
I really, really, really want to love this game but so far I don't. I'm forcing myself to continue playing it hoping that it will click for me. It's very much a Deus Ex/non-linear late 90's pc game but the mechanics are too uninspired. The world just doesn't feel alive.

For example: You always have more than one route to take, and there's almost always the same few choices to get to where you're going (through a vent by exploring, hacking, pushing your way through the main entrance) with, so far (and I'm still in Detroit) no variation to it. The loot is limited to a very few amount of items, making searching for it a somewhat boring. Loot is always found in the same types of drawers, the rooms in the apartments are all very similar. The main ways to gain information is primarily through computers and PDA stuff. Where's the storytelling through the environment?

The game is also extraordinarily slow paced. I don't mind slow pacing but I still want the down time to be interesting.

I love a lot about this game but I don't love the game itself. I think the devs here are quite talented and have the heart and minds in the right spot but if they improve the weak areas in this game I think they'll really make something quite special.
This is how I feel - it's an amazingly well crafted game bogged down by 'same old same old'.

Unfortunately to me it tries too much to be like the original and not innovate enough new stuff.

I think this is why original deus ex fans are loving it so damn much, and I do like it a lot but it's not thrilling me.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
there is no question in my mind that as far as excelling at mixing shooting with rpg elements, DE:HR pretty much wipes the floor with both BIOSHOCK and FALLOUT 3. the shooting feels better, the guns feel substantial, and being able to augment your basic abilities--which then opens up new options for how to address situations--is a massive improvement over those games. being able to jump higher to access new areas or routes is such a simple thing, but as the same time, it is very OMG.

they're all good games, but as far as how it plays, it just wrecks the other first person shooter rpgs i've played. it actually feels a bit like ESCAPE FROM BUTCHER BAY in terms of the environment. the people standing around, the way the conversations are presented. . . am i nuts?

Finished the game just now. Avoiding any plot/spoiler stuff for the time being, I think mechanically it doesn't hold up to the original, but it's still miles ahead of anything since Bloodlines.

It's just the way augs/skills were condensed doesn't sit right with me. I feel there are no builds for your character essentially, it's easy to get just about everything you need. I liked the original's focus on specialization. I liked all the combinations that the original allowed you to spec up your character, but in Human Revolution it seems unavoidable to just have almost everything at your disposal eventually.

Another thing, energy in general is just goofy. I didn't end up getting cloak or special vision, and when I realized quiet movement was a manual use aug I didn't really end up using that either since crouched movement was plenty effective. So I only really used it for takedowns and the occasional typhoons. The takedown system in particular comes as kind of a disappointment to me because it essentially brings an ammo/cooldown to melee, and I loved using melee for ammo conservation in Deus Ex. No melee weaponry in general is a shame.

So I set up these weird scenarios in my mind where I'm knocking people out and then gobbling down granola bars to punch the next guy. It's just not as elegant as I'd like.

Oh, and the social aug makes me feel like a cheater.

Those gripes aside, the game is amazing. A fully modded revolver brings new meaning to the term "awesome button".

ColonialRaptor said:
Unfortunately to me it tries too much to be like the original and not innovate enough new stuff.
I feel like being like the original is innovative new stuff in the current gamespace. There just aren't games like Deus Ex out there, so I'm kind of curious where you wanted them to go with it.

Lucius86

Banned
This game is awesome from the first 5-6 hours I have played. I have stopped today just to eat and watch the F1 - not for a long time has a game done that to me.

The animations during conversations annoy me, but when the
Unatco music kicked in through the intro
I had the biggest grin on my face.

Anyway, back to the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
beelzebozo said:
they're all good games, but as far as how it plays, it just wrecks the other first person shooter rpgs i've played. it actually feels a bit like ESCAPE FROM BUTCHER BAY in terms of the environment. the people standing around, the way the conversations are presented. . . am i nuts?

Not at all. To be fair though, Montreal actually seems to know what they're doing with the weapons and combat, and enemy encounters are integral to Deus Ex so its not surprising its recieved a lot of polish. They wouldn't have an excused if a major portion of the game sucked.

Fallout 3 is the way it is because Gamebryo, especially at Bethesda's hands, is fucking shit for first person combat, and Bethesda tried to work around polished real time combat with VATS. It was a weird, clumsy hybrid.

BioShock was just 2K dropping the ball.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
you see the BUTCHER BAY comparison? does that make any sense? when i saw the people dancing in the bus station, i thought to myself, man, this looks so much like something from riddick, or even THE DARKNESS.

Red Blaster said:
You also need to include a weapon that completely breaks the gameplay and makes every other path effectively worthless if you want to make a proper Deus Ex game too.

I don't think HR trumps the original title (not as ambitious and misses some of the bigger picture ideas) but this constant evangelizing of Deus Ex is bordering on absurd.

yeah, Deus Ex isn't a perfect game to which everything is compared. Human Revolution does a lot of things better, and to be fair, a lot is due to more modern game ideas (not so much this gen, but the entire 2000s).

for me they're both neck and neck as some of my favorite games. Deus Ex is a better RPG, has more intricate and open levels suited for exploration, and there are more solutions or approaches to a given situation. Human Revolution wisely streamlines a lot from Deus Ex, and in the processes loses some of that. It still manages to keep most of what made Deus Ex great and improve on some of its faults.

I think why I like it as much as the first is because aspects remind me a lot of MGS, another one of my favorite series. And I'm totally comfortable saying Deus Ex is now a favorite series instead of game. Two out of three ain't bad if the dip is in the middle.

neoism

Gattsu25 said:
Yes, just push any controller button to seamlessly switch to gamepad support complete with a revamped UI
thanks fucking awesome. I just got the 34.99 deal on amazon, can I use steam or do I have to use their site... This is my first DDL on amazon.

The Stealth Fox

Linkzg said:
yeah, Deus Ex isn't a perfect game to which everything is compared. Human Revolution does a lot of things better, and to be fair, a lot is due to more modern game ideas (not so much this gen, but the entire 2000s).

for me they're both neck and neck as some of my favorite games. Deus Ex is a better RPG, has more intricate and open levels suited for exploration, and there are more solutions or approaches to a given situation. Human Revolution wisely streamlines a lot from Deus Ex, and in the processes loses some of that. It still manages to keep most of what made Deus Ex great and improve on some of its faults.

I think why I like it as much as the first is because aspects remind me a lot of MGS, another one of my favorite series. And I'm totally comfortable saying Deus Ex is now a favorite series instead of game. Two out of three ain't bad if the dip is in the middle.
I agree with you generally, but maybe I'm missing something or didn't explore enough, but I don't think DX1's level design was more intricate than DX3. I'm including hub worlds in the discussion too.

I thought DX1 kind of got more linear as the game progressed since they started throwing hordes of enemies at you...

Derrick01

Banned
Oh man the boss I just finished would have been a total bitch if I didn't have a grenade launcher AND rocket launcher.

pretty late game boss spoiler
i forget his name, namir I think? Anyway I chose earlier to get that chip upgrade and when it didn't do anything I thought it was a waste...what a dumbass I was. I simply wouldn't have been able to kill that boss if I didn't have the heavy weapons, not with my Hud going apeshit

Tacitus_

I'm surprised so many are falling for the
LIMB biochip conspiracy
. Didn't you pay attention at all to what TYM was doing?

The Stealth Fox

Derrick01 said:
Oh man the boss I just finished would have been a total bitch if I didn't have a grenade launcher AND rocket launcher.

i forget his name, namir I think? Anyway I chose earlier to get that chip upgrade and when it didn't do anything I thought it was a waste...what a dumbass I was. I simply wouldn't have been able to kill that boss if I didn't have the heavy weapons, not with my Hud going apeshit
LOL I loved that touch.
I do think this is where they kind of got their outside the box moments correct. No chip upgrade = boss much easier. If you are a suspicious person, you would have avoided it completely.

Tacitus_ said:
LIMB biochip conspiracy
That's the thing, the game rewards paying attention and thinking outside the box by rewarding people that think logically.

It reminded me of
Jock and the "rattle"

Tacitus_ said:
LIMB biochip conspiracy
Yes, but the glitches were annoying, dammit! They came out of nowhere and made me jump each time. :(

Solo

The Stealth Fox said:
I agree with you generally, but maybe I'm missing something or didn't explore enough, but I don't think DX1's level design was more intricate than DX3.

I'm only at Highland Park so I have lots of game in front of me to change that, but one major area that HR is failing me right now is with respect to variety of environments. HR so far has streets, apartments and office buildings. DX had those too, but then there were secret military facilities, underwater research stations, Paris, Roswell, etc.

I'm hoping HR can achieve more of that diversity as I progress.

Derrick01

Banned
Tacitus_ said:
LIMB biochip conspiracy

I had a momentary lapse in judgement that usually doesn't happen, one of those "durp" moments you kick yourself over later on.

Trust me I paid the price for it too.

Revolutionary said:
Yes, but the glitches were annoying, dammit! They came out of nowhere and made me jump each time. :(

Yeah this was a big reason why I did it too.

beelzebozo said:
there is no question in my mind that as far as excelling at mixing shooting with rpg elements, DE:HR pretty much wipes the floor with both BIOSHOCK and FALLOUT 3. the shooting feels better, the guns feel substantial, and being able to augment your basic abilities--which then opens up new options for how to address situations--is a massive improvement over those games. being able to jump higher to access new areas or routes is such a simple thing, but as the same time, it is very OMG.

Glad to see you enjoy it, man. I'll be getting this when it goes down in price. Hopefully there's specials/deals in the coming weeks.

wutwutwut

Derrick01 said:

I brought a friendly turret down. Take that :)

wutwutwut

Solo said:
I'm only at Highland Park so I have lots of game in front of me to change that, but one major area that HR is failing me right now is with respect to variety of environments. HR so far has streets, apartments and office buildings. DX had those too, but then there were secret military facilities, underwater research stations, Paris, Roswell, etc.

I'm hoping HR can achieve more of that diversity as I progress.
Don't worry.

Tacitus_

Revolutionary said:

Yeah the glitches were annoying, but replacing the chip that controls all my augs with something that the TYM cobbled up from the stolen data from Sarif AND messed around with, not to mention their CEOs connections.... Fuck that shit.
I had such a huge grin when she wiggled the remote and Jensen was all like "Was that supposed to stop me? Hah."

Echoplx

Tacitus_ said:
LIMB biochip conspiracy

I chose to have it implanted to give them a false sense of security. It's all part of the plan.

tci

This got a laugh out of me .. Amazing game.

11ce4fd7fa72f5441db93f11d8b54bc51f66eea8.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
CosmicGroinPull said:
Enjoying it so far. Feels just like the first Deus Ex, but with a bit of weight to your movements. Awesome. It even comes with Deus Ex's Protagonist With A Monotone Voice TM! Bwahahaha.

Oh, entering your apartment for the first time is just lovely.
Heavy heavy Blade Runner vibe when you walk into your apartment, the computer welcomes you home and the shutters open.

Tacitus_ said:
Yeah the glitches were annoying, but replacing the chip that controls all my augs with something that the TYM cobbled up from the stolen data from Sarif AND messed around with, not to mention their CEOs connections.... Fuck that shit.
I had such a huge grin when she wiggled the remote and Jensen was all like "Was that supposed to stop me? Hah."
I had a feeling something would happen but like the other poster said: it was a momentary lapse of judgment, due to the annoyance of the glitches and the potential remedy to it being a simple visit to LIMB. I made a save prior to going inside, but I never went back to it because it didn't effect me until what... 5 hours later?

But yeah, no excuses: it was a poor choice. I guess that's what the game was trying to prove, that some of us want to jump on a quick fix, without thinking of the repurcussions, even if we KNOW something is fishy.

Gvaz

Banned
I wonder where Adam's income goes? He really only gets money from stealing credit chips and selling hot items to a lance?

Derrick01

Banned
Deadbeat said:
The game is just as exploitable as Deus Ex.

Yeah it's pretty close at least. All you need is a little creativity and of course the right tools in the area.

I got tired of being spotted while I was on computers from people outside that saw me through the window, so I surrounded them with large crates and vending machines. Good luck escaping that!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gvaz said:
I wonder where Adam's income goes? He really only gets money from stealing credit chips and selling hot items to a lance?
A salary system like Final Fantasy 8 would have been really cool.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Anyone found a complete non spoiler list of where to get the sidequests?

Also the locker for the early "mom" sidequest, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get there...

Enjoying it alot more than I thought I would so far.

epmode

Just got to Hengsha. While I think that the first game wins out in the end, this is an infinitely better conversion to modern game design than Bioshock was for System Shock. Brilliant game.

If I had to complain, my biggest issue is with the skill system. The skills are great, don't get me wrong. ..but goddammit, they balanced it so that it's possible to max out nearly every skill in one playthrough. For a game so concerned with decisions and consequences, this is a big disappointment (even though I'm not surprised).

Top Bottom