• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

(spoilers for the end of the game, last stage, do not highlight bla bla bla)

Any good strategy how am I supposed to deal with HORDES of crazed Panchea inhabitants? I have approx. 50 tranq darts, and 3 PEPS charges. Or should I simply run past all of them? Going for Pacifist.

scitek said:
This is on sale right now on INT Keys for $24.99, isn't it region locked? I'm in the US, so it wouldn't activate on Steam, I assume.

The PC version was supposed to be region locked, however S-E decided not to go through with that. You are safe except if the CD-Key is Russian - you will need VPN to activate it.

Castor Krieg said:

Any good strategy how am I supposed to deal with HORDES of crazed Panchea inhabitants? I have approx. 50 tranq darts, and 3 PEPS charges. Or should I simply run past all of them? Going for Pacifist.
Cloak and sprint past them, hide to recharge, repeat.

Echoplx

~Kinggi~ said:
God damn Jensens apartment is so awesome and moody. I love the
mirror broken with the note saying he needs to replace it again. He must hate his augs

Make sure you hack the computer down in the lobby when you get a chance. I lold.

Kazzy

Derrick01 said:
This is the million dollar question. I've run into plenty of alarmed states but they seem to just play out like a "suspicious" state, where they think someone's there and they'll search but they haven't actually seen anyone yet.

We need clarification on this.

I consulted a few guides and they all seem to say that its fine, so long as an alarm isn't actually raised you are golden.

As far as personal reference goes, I just look to see that I get the 'Ghost' bonus for each section of a mission.

Is there anyway to bring up general stats like alarms raised? Seems like a lack of foresight not to be able to have stat tracking for that sort of stuff.

scitek

Castor Krieg said:
The PC version was supposed to be region locked, however S-E decided not to go through with that. You are safe except if the CD-Key is Russian - you will need VPN to activate it.

Alright, I just asked on their site, and it is Russian, I guess. I don't want to pay for a VPN to activate a game, though.

Castor Krieg said:

Cloaking was a godsend here, as it was for me throughout the game. Sometimes you might need to use a few power-cells worth of cloak to get through the bigger areas

There's also a lot of gas grenades in that level, so use them

Mindlog

revolverjgw said:
Cloaking was a godsend here, as it was for me throughout the game. Sometimes you might need to use a few power-cells worth of cloak to get through the bigger areas

There's also a lot of gas grenades in that level, so use them
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX style.
Taunt them and get a long train chasing you. Gas as many of them as possible with one grenade.

Sportbilly said:
Hmm, every time I press the tab key to view a training video, the game freezes and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del my way out of it and shut the program down. I've seen a few threads around with people having the same problem, but not a solution as yet. Don't suppose anyone's seen a fix, have they? It's very annoying.

Scratch that- an update got downloaded an hour or so ago, and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Peterthumpa

Damn, after the 2nd patch my game started to CTD every now and then. Can't play for 10 minutes without problems and the official forums have a lot of users with the same problems.

Noooooooooooooooooooo :(

fushi

So I've been playing this a bit and just finished the first mission... am I correct in thinking that the only way to replenish energy cells past the first one is by using those ProEnergy Bars? It really limits your options in hand-to-hand combat.

My problem with gas grenades is that they tend to turn everyone hostile and they instantly know where I am eventhough they haven't seen me... and they'll go hostile even before they pass out which I'm fairly sure will snub me of some of the bonus experience when you clear an area.
fushi said:
So I've been playing this a bit and just finished the first mission... am I correct in thinking that the only way to replenish energy cells past the first one is by using those ProEnergy Bars? It really limits your options in hand-to-hand combat.
Yep. Though all cells will start to regenerate if you don't spend all of its energy, which makes the punch-through-walls aug a bit more annoying than it needs to be (since it takes a whole cell).

fushi said:
There are two other energy replenishing items too, but yes, those are your only means as far as I know. Not a fan of it personally.

dwebo

So... why does Jensen need energy to nonlethal takedown but can fucking float down like a fairy for free?

Otherwise, game has been pretty fun (thanks Amazon sale!). Just got to the second area. Loved how the
video flying in was awe-inspiring, and then they plop you into what is essentially just a big maze of ugly hallways (and yeah, I get that it's the lower level).

Hakkuei

scitek said:
Alright, I just asked on their site, and it is Russian, I guess. I don't want to pay for a VPN to activate a game, though.
A free VPN did the trick for me, I can PM you the link if you want.

Zenith

Banned
DAMMIT. I don't know how but that extensive Detroit crooked cop side-quest is marked as failed for me (I never even reached the witness). My saves either go back 5 minutes or 2 hours. Does anyone know if there's a trainer or something to reset quests?

spekkeh

Banned
Ugh apparently I suck at this game. I wanted to stealth it up but I seem to get detected rather randomly. And those unholy loading times start to grate badly after the fifth time you restart a room. Now I just shoot everybody. Pretty annoying they couldn't fix that shit on the 360.

End of Detroit hub stuff:
Wow this Highland Park mission is unbelievable... there's SO much to do and so many little hidden items and different pathways to take, just wow. Anyway, I got inside the building and am in the room with the big robot...is there no way to destroy him w/o getting hostile? I've tried everything and the only thing that doesn't get him hostile are frag mines but I only have one and it wasn't enough to kill him. EMP grenades, rocket launcher, silenced pistol, all of it hostiles him even if you're not in his line of sight. I've tried it from the rafters as well

Zenith said:
DAMMIT. I don't know how but that extensive Detroit crooked cop side-quest is marked as failed for me (I never even reached the witness). My saves either go back 5 minutes or 2 hours. Does anyone know if there's a trainer or something to reset quests?
That sucks dude. That was a really cool side quest

spekkeh said:
Ugh apparently I suck at this game. I wanted to stealth it up but I seem to get detected rather randomly. And those unholy loading times start to grate badly after the fifth time you restart a room. Now I just shoot everybody. Pretty annoying they couldn't fix that shit on the 360.
Are you past the first area? That's by far the toughest place to stealth since you don't have the radar and takedowns yet. After that it should be easy though.
Heavy said:
End of Detroit hub stuff:
Wow this Highland Park mission is unbelievable... there's SO much to do and so many little hidden items and different pathways to take, just wow. Anyway, I got inside the building and am in the room with the big robot...is there no way to destroy him w/o getting hostile? I've tried everything and the only thing that doesn't get him hostile are frag mines but I only have one and it wasn't enough to kill him. EMP grenades, rocket launcher, silenced pistol, all of it hostiles him even if you're not in his line of sight. I've tried it from the rafters as well
Can't you hack that one? If you have the skills you can make it friendly and then destroy it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Zenith said:

the quest is bugged. Don't bother until they patch it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Snuggler said:
Lol, did the bouncer at the Hive really think I was going to buy a pass into the club? Why spend $1000 on a pass when I have bionic fists? Ret's just say that he paid for his ignorance.
Lol, I was totally expecting a vent behind that club, and there was one.

spekkeh

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
Are you past the first area? That's by far the toughest place to stealth since you don't have the radar and takedowns yet. After that it should be easy though.
I do have those, I'm in the first mission (sarif) after that. I guess I just suck, or I'm too impatient.

Meisadragon said:
Lol, I was totally expecting a vent behind that club, and there was one.

I overheard a conversation about that vent as I was walking by the club (but I too would have expected one anyway, regardless... it's Deus Ex!)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Biggzy said:
Finally got my hands on the game on Friday. Never played any of the first two Deus Ex games, but a guy i know was ranting and raving about the 1st one and said i should be interested in this game. I am about 6 hrs into the game and i have to admit i am liking what i am liking what i am playing, also i have to say that this game drips in athmosphere, very good art choice from Ubisoft.
wat

Dresden

Started over on Deux Es difficulty, not killing anyone is pretty satisfying. Also because the gunplay is just lackluster and the stun gun + takedowns feel better.

Danne-Danger said:
Can't you hack that one? If you have the skills you can make it friendly and then destroy it.
How/where? I've checked that entire area and found 3 hand hack panels and hacked all 3 and put em on disable and it did nothing.
Dresden said:
Started over on Deux Es difficulty, not killing anyone is pretty satisfying. Also because the gunplay is just lackluster and the stun gun + takedowns feel better.
Really? The gunplay is one of the best core elements to the game, imo. The guns sound SO loud and viscious... revolver, shotgun, sniper rifle, combat rifle, they sound so good and feel very satisfying to use. Silenced + laser sight 10mm is so awesome.

spekkeh said:
I do have those, I'm in the first mission (sarif) after that. I guess I just suck, or I'm too impatient.
Stick with it. It's easy once you learn all the tricks:
http://www.abload.de/img/dxhr2011-08-2721-16-10udsf.png
(doors are a great distraction!)
Heavy said:
How/where? I've checked that entire area and found 3 hand hack panels and hacked all 3 and put em on disable and it did nothing.
I don't know, I just snuck past it since I didn't have the skills back then. I did that trick later on, not sure if there is a way to hack that bot. Otherwise you'd do it at a security panel.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Confidence Man said:
First installment of What I Think Sucks About This Game™

- When you choose an aug it should lock out something else, like Deus Ex. Want to jump higher? Then you give up safe landing from extreme heights. Want to punch through walls? Then you should have to sacrifice lifting heavy objects. Even Invisible War got this right. Combined with an abundance of praxis points the result is there are no hard choices outside of the early game. Which leads to...

- You can be a master-of-all-trades. At a certain point in the game maybe 2/3 of the way through I could hack anything with ease, reach any location and take any route, sneak up on anyone or sneak past any obstacle, and still have fully upgraded strength, accuracy, and dermal armor to go toe to toe with anyone in combat while lugging around an entire arsenal of weaponry. Makes me far less interested in replaying the game knowing my character will end up essentially the same with access to all the same routes and strategies.

- For a game about player choice, why are augs the one and only way to do anything? What about the items from Deus Ex like ballistic armor, hazmat mask, thermoptic camo, multitools, etc.. to give the player options outside the simple augmentation system. It's a huge missed opportunity that they didn't extend the dichotomy explored in the game's plot to the actual game. Yes, he never asked for this, but it rings hollow as the only way for him to wield any power in the game is to use the augmented abilities he may or may not want. He should be given the choice to use them even if he didn't have the choice to get them. That would have been role-playing.

- Arguing for melee combat is a lost cause, but at least they could make takedowns require a little more finesse. The distance at which you can trigger them is ridiculous, and the so-called silent takedowns have you breaking arms and flipping guys onto concrete floors and no one notices anything. The reasoning we heard before the game came out, that takedowns were the "reward" for sneaking up on someone is complete shit, as sneaking up on someone is absurdly easy by default thanks to the always-on radar and stupid AI.
tbh, I think all of your comments here are actually improvements over the first game. The game design is much tighter, and the game is more fun for it imo.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
shagg_187 said:
Ubisoft? Poor Eidos. lol

Oh man, just the thought of Ubisoft owning the Deus Ex IP...
DuMTK.gif

fushi

Danne-Danger said:
Though all cells will start to regenerate if you don't spend all of its energy, which makes the punch-through-walls aug a bit more annoying than it needs to be (since it takes a whole cell).
Aha, I didn't know that. Quite stupid, I have to admit. Mostly because the idea of there being a battery that can easily recharge itself unless you use it fully sounds like the dumbest device ever.

Grisby

Reached the second hub area. This game.

I died a couple times at the boss fight. Its interesting that if you read the book you already know a lot about the main enemies.

BeeDog

Bought the game yesterday, and have been playing for what feels like quite a bit. Just reached the Detroit Police Station, and so far the game's excellent. The PC version runs smoothly and looks alright. The script so far is very interesting, though some of the voice-work leaves a lot to be desired. I've missed this kind of freedom all generation, and so far, it really feels like a love child between the first Deus Ex and Bloodlines.

fushi said:
Aha, I didn't know that. Quite stupid, I have to admit. Mostly because the idea of there being a battery that can easily recharge itself unless you use it fully sounds like the dumbest device ever.
Yeah, but you'd be completely overpowered otherwise. I think the system works fine as long as I don't have to punch any walls, though I rarely have the two cells full anyway. This way you don't have to be stingy about using your cloak/vision just because you have a full stack.
jcm said:
Fuck Barrett and this shit boss battle. Way to ruin a perfectly fun stealth game guys.
It's fine, and actually quite fun once you get the hang of it! Think Metal Gear and not Mass Effect and it'll eventually start to click.

jcm said:
Fuck Barrett and this shit boss battle. Way to ruin a perfectly fun stealth game guys.

How are you trying to fight him? He's a pushover if you have a stun-gun... and if you don't, there's a stun-gun in that room anyway

Ferrio

Banned
revolverjgw said:
How are you trying to fight him? He's a pushover if you have a stun-gun... and if you don't, there's a stun-gun in that room anyway

Not to mention stealth does work against him.

Biggzy

I have just relised i said Ubisoft made this game. I dont know why i said that and i am an idiot. I must have made the misatake because Eidos Montreal made this game and Ubisoft has a strong prescence in Quebec, so again sorry :(.

You know, without having seen bosses besides the first one, I kinda wish this game would have a boss-run mode or something. I hope they don't abandon the whole idea if they make a sequel, just give a no-kill option and lots of neat gadgets to experiment with. It serves as a nice change of pace when done correctly.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
jcm said:
Yeah, that boss battle was unnecessary. I just camped in a corner and he killed himself with his own grenades. I thought that was pretty funny, but overall, the stealth implementation is fantastic. You shouldn't have anymore problems after the Barrett fight.

Biggzy said:
I have just relised i said Ubisoft made this game. I dont know why i said that and i am an idiot. I must have made the misatake because Eidos Montreal made this game and Ubisoft has a strong Prescence in Quebec, so again sorry.
Ubisoft can't even dream of making a game like this.

Almost done, gonna post screen with my Augmentations soon :)

To Terminators out there - what is best/most fun to run around? I know upgraded 10mm is godly, will do that. What else?

Biggzy

Meisadragon said:
Yeah, that boss battle was unnecessary. I just camped in a corner and he killed himself with his own grenades. I thought that was pretty funny, but overall, the stealth implementation is fantastic. You shouldn't have anymore problems after the Barrett fight.

Ubisoft can't even dream of making a game like this.

Lol the Ubisoft in recent years yes. I still can't believe i got the two companies mixed up.

Top Bottom