• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

~Kinggi~ said:
God damn Jensens apartment is so awesome and moody. I love the
mirror broken with the note saying he needs to replace it again. He must hate his augs
He misses Megan, how he feels about the rest is up to you.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
This team assembled on the sole purpose to make Deus Ex. It was their dream project, at least for core people.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Snuggler said:
Oh man, just the thought of Ubisoft owning the Deus Ex IP...
DuMTK.gif
think of the streamlining!

press A to beat the game

Derrick01

Banned
Finally finished it at close to 36 hours, wow what a game. I do have some problems with it, mainly that I was able to get too many augs and that there weren't any of those special moments that I'll remember 10 years from now like in DX1.

As for the augs, it'll be easier to list what I wasn't able to fill out. I had these left:

2/6 on the stealth (I was going stealth but I don't like the splinter cell mark type things, prefer to search for enemies myself)

1/3 on hacking fortify
1/3 on lungs
0/2 on typhoon
7/8 on arms
0/2 on aim
2/3 on the eye
4/5 on feet

everything else was obtained and leveled to max. Also money and items were never an issue for me because of the way I explored.

I really really enjoyed the game overall though and it's definitely a worthy sequel. It's my frontrunner for goty and I don't see anything beating it but I'll wait and see.

As for the way the game ran, I was able to have almost every setting on including tesselation and still stay at a pretty consistent 60 fps on 1920x1080. That's on a gtx 470 by the way which isn't that amazing anymore. I didn't notice that much chopping outside of a couple seconds when each area loaded, definitely nothing game breaking.

The game looked amazing in some places too. The tech is dated and the people were ugly but some of those environments, especially near the end, just blew me away. This game has one of the better art styles I've seen.

I almost want them to stop working on Thief so they can make a sequel to this. If they can improve on this game while keeping all the great stuff this did they can completely beat Deus Ex 1 in every way.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This game is so amazing in how people go through it. Before the game hit, I really considered trying a completely non-lethal approach. Then I considered a more James Bond type. While waiting for the game to unlock, I decided that I would let Adam, the character decide how I play.

Just in case, I will spoiler tag this.

In the end, I found myself disgruntled. Adam's life was forever altered the day the Mercs came. His love and co-workers killed and his body destroyed. Then he was brought back to life. Augmented, heavily against his will. I had a single minded focus to figure out what the hell happened, who did it and why.

In the beginning, I did just that, but found myself lightening up to the people who needed by help. Bad people doing bad things in bad ways. Now I have the means to deal with them. Deal with them I did. I would always attempt a non-lethal approach but wouldn't hesitate to switch to lethal means if needed.

As the layers of the story continued to be peeled away, I found myself thinking "All of these mother fuckers need to pay." This didn't mean I started to play crazy, but it meant that my fully powered revolver and pistol was used exclusively and I was dealing headshots left and right. Entire lobbies were left filled with the blood from my enemies. If I was ever spotted, I became death incarnate. This is why the boss battles didn't affect me negatively. Fuck those fuckers. They deserve to die and I hope they burn in hell.

By the end of the game, the truth was revealed. The truth about the conspiracy, the motivations of my boss, his rivals, and Adam's birth. Putting myself in Adam's shoes I felt conflicted as I stood in front of Eliza, looking to make my final choice. I closed my eyes, then realized that we all had to die. Myself included.

As the credits rolled, and the secret scene popped in, I realized that Adam's actions ultimately did not matter.When I heard Dr. Reed's voice, knowing that she felt no remorse for what I went through to save her and humanity, I hope that I can punch the shit out of her in my second playthrough of HR.

Eh, I rambled. Sorry. lol

jcm said:
Fuck Barrett and this shit boss battle. Way to ruin a perfectly fun stealth game guys.

Deus Ex: HR is not a "stealth game." It is a game where you choose how to play it. Please don't pigeon hole it.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Is there another way to get into the Hive besides bribery or persuasion (I assume that's a way). I don't want to pay the money and can't upgrade my social encounter.

Derrick01

Banned
A Human Becoming said:
Is there another way to get into the Hive besides bribery or persuasion (I assume that's a way). I don't want to pay the money and can't upgrade my social encounter.

spoiler tagged for explorers :p
there's an alley near the building that has a vent on the back of the building that you can crawl in. Leads to the bathrooms

A Human Becoming said:

Just punch the bouncer in the face?

SeanR1221

A Human Becoming said:

When facing the front, go around the left side towards the dumpster. You'll see a vent.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Derrick01 said:
spoiler tagged for explorers :p
there's an alley near the building that has a vent on the back of the building that you can crawl in. Leads to the bathrooms

I just wanted to know if there was, so thanks. :) I'm not using the highlight feature, which for me has made it more enjoyable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
A Human Becoming said:
Aside from the vent others have mentioned
there's a membership card in one of the rooms in the brothel.

Nelo Ice

Banned
so i have 2 access codes for detroit but i have no idea where i can use em im currently on the 3rd story mission
i got one from zeke sanders in a side mission after letting him go and another from one the guys guarding the rocket in derelict row

edit:
actually are they in the sewers somewhere? unless i need to get the punching wall aug and go there thats the only place i havent fully explored

JambiBum

A Human Becoming said:
There is a
vip pass in one of the hotel rooms. I think it is on the second floor but I'm not sure. It is the room with two people talking in the bathroom.
Am I the only person that has found this? Can't really believe that lol.

Volcynika

JambiBum said:
There is a
vip pass in one of the hotel rooms. I think it is on the second floor but I'm not sure. It is the room with two people talking in the bathroom.

I found it! I explored the building up and down when I first got to the hotel

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
JambiBum said:
There is a
I think you and I are the only ones.

hiverbon

Neo Member
JambiBum said:
There is a

You're not the only one, was the first thing I found in
china :D (you can get to it easily from the balcony outside if you jump around from the room where the hooker who gives you the side quest is).

Owzers

Glass Rebel said:
Barrett is such a motherfucker. I'm throwing shit at him like a madman but he won't go down :mad: I think I might try that stungun.

Resident Evil strategy: Rainy day rocket launcher for boss fights.

alphaNoid

Banned
A Human Becoming said:
2 that I'm aware of

left alley there is a small crawl space above the dumpster
From the first floor of the hotel, there is a secret room where you can buy/sell items with a dealer. If you continue through his room there will be a ladder to the sewers. Follow the sewers until you get to a corridor filled with gas. Here you need the aug to break through walls, there is a wall on the right you can bust. In there are Nuke worms and a valve to shut off the gas. Pass down the corridor up the ladder and you're in the hive.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Is it even possible to max out all the augments in a single playthrough? Really hoping that eidos adds newgame+ with whatever they introduce on the 28th. Also I noticed that xp is more easily acquired/rewarded by taking the stealth approach as opposed to killing. Doesn't seem fair but I guess they figured players who took a more aggressive approach wouldn't need things like cloaking or silent footsteps when they relied moreso on upgrading weapons.

Zaptruder

Banned
Dammit.

I'm pretty sure I ran through the whole game doing non-lethal take downs, but didn't end up getting the achievement anyway.

There were definetly times when I got frustrated and headshotted everyone with the pistol for fun - but I'm also pretty sure I didn't save those results. I'm going to have to do a full-sneak run.

After I do a full kill everyone run of course.

Kintaro said:
This game is so amazing in how people go through it. Before the game hit, I really considered trying a completely non-lethal approach. Then I considered a more James Bond type. While waiting for the game to unlock, I decided that I would let Adam, the character decide how I play.

Just in case, I will spoiler tag this.

In the end, I found myself disgruntled. Adam's life was forever altered the day the Mercs came. His love and co-workers killed and his body destroyed. Then he was brought back to life. Augmented, heavily against his will. I had a single minded focus to figure out what the hell happened, who did it and why.

In the beginning, I did just that, but found myself lightening up to the people who needed by help. Bad people doing bad things in bad ways. Now I have the means to deal with them. Deal with them I did. I would always attempt a non-lethal approach but wouldn't hesitate to switch to lethal means if needed.

As the layers of the story continued to be peeled away, I found myself thinking "All of these mother fuckers need to pay." This didn't mean I started to play crazy, but it meant that my fully powered revolver and pistol was used exclusively and I was dealing headshots left and right. Entire lobbies were left filled with the blood from my enemies. If I was ever spotted, I became death incarnate. This is why the boss battles didn't affect me negatively. Fuck those fuckers. They deserve to die and I hope they burn in hell.

By the end of the game, the truth was revealed. The truth about the conspiracy, the motivations of my boss, his rivals, and Adam's birth. Putting myself in Adam's shoes I felt conflicted as I stood in front of Eliza, looking to make my final choice. I closed my eyes, then realized that we all had to die. Myself included.

As the credits rolled, and the secret scene popped in, I realized that Adam's actions ultimately did not matter.When I heard Dr. Reed's voice, knowing that she felt no remorse for what I went through to save her and humanity, I hope that I can punch the shit out of her in my second playthrough of HR.

Eh, I rambled. Sorry. lol

Nice analysis, and it certainly mirrors how I felt, except that I couldn't bring myself to
destroy the base, knowing as I did that the events of the original game still happened. I went with the Darrow option, as much as I didn't want to side with that son of a bitch. Better than the Sarif option and certainly better than the Taggart option.
I felt SO angry nearing the end at everything that had happened, that I took great pleasure in mowing people down left, right and centre.

Zaptruder said:
Dammit.

I'm pretty sure I ran through the whole game doing non-lethal take downs, but didn't end up getting the achievement anyway.

There were definetly times when I got frustrated and headshotted everyone with the pistol for fun - but I'm also pretty sure I didn't save those results. I'm going to have to do a full-sneak run.

Damn. I'd go on a real-life pistol-headshotting spree if that happened to me

Blizzard

Banned
Quick yes/no question about the start of the game: If I chose the tranq rifle, can I still find/buy a stun gun laying around somewhere?

syoaran

blahblah...blah said:
Nice analysis, and it certainly mirrors how I felt, except that I couldn't bring myself to
destroy the base, knowing as I did that the events of the original game still happened. I went with the Darrow option, as much as I didn't want to side with that son of a bitch. Better than the Sarif option and certainly better than the Taggart option.
I felt SO angry nearing the end at everything that had happened, that I took great pleasure in mowing people down left, right and centre.

Completed the game myself, and ill admit
it was a struggle not to mow people down towards the end, wanted to do my first playthough with no kills (succeeded!). A long story short, I was very disappointed that there was no closure between Adam and any other character in the game towards the end. Malik, Pritchard, Megan, Sarif etc - none of it really came to some sort of closure at the end. Which is a shame.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the game.

shagg_187 said:
Ubisoft? Poor Eidos. lol

is it true that some of the mind behind this game worked on Rainbow Six Vegas? so maybe these are former ubisoft people!

I think this is Eidos Montreal's first game, but I'm curious about how the studio came to be. It's pretty amazing for their first game regardless.

semi-related, I know that Patrice Désilets went from Ubi to THQ's new Montreal studio. Montreal is pretty boss right now.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I've only just started and I was a little shocked at the opening mission.

In the leak I was
able to save the hostages without any problems, i messed around at sarif, hacked some comps and went to the helipad

In my first play through of the opening mission
I seemed to have dicked around too long at sarif, hacking comps and just being an idiot and the hostages died before i got there. David did say that 8 people just died, I honestly didn't think it was the hostages until i got there.

I totally wasn't expecting that to happen at all. I was impressed but pissed off at the same time D:

Clevinger

Linkzg said:
I think this is Eidos Montreal's first game, but I'm curious about how the studio came to be. It's pretty amazing for their first game regardless.

I'm not sure where I read it, but it said a lot of them were straight out of college.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Marco1 said:
Just started it on PC.
Amazing game but I have that annoying stutter problem on a corei7 2600K and a GTX580, weird.

I've had the same problem. I have a i7-2630QM and GTX 460M. The game has also crashed on me four times today, almost always in the menu. :\ Maybe this is a sign I need to stop playing for now.

Is it weird one of my favorite aspects of the game is hacking? I actually liked the pipes in Bioshock. I can understand why most found it tedious. I didn't like the hacking in Mass Effect 2 where you match up the lines.

Probably the most disappointing aspects of the game for me are the cutscenes and character models. Cutscenes are incredibly compressed and the movement and look of the AI is unnatural. Jensen is by far the best in that regard, as are the other main characters.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Zaptruder said:
Dammit.

I almost messed this up today... in a sewer with electrified water... I knocked a guy out and his arm dipped in. It freaking killed him! I just noticed the skull icon when I was done looting his body. Reloaded, did that section over.

I would have been irate if that single oversight had ruined an entire playthrough. But I really wouldn't have had the slightest idea what had caused it...

Top Bottom