• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

I'm pretty early in the the game. Finished first mission after intro. Do you need augmentation to be able to throw cardbox too? I keep pressing throw button ('G' in my case) but it doesn't do anything.

Dynamic3 said:
Do you ever get access to something along the lines of a bank or closet where you can store items aside from your inventory?
Sort of? As far as I know items don't ever really disappear so you can straight up drop things in your apartment for as long as you're in Detroit. But in any case, it's not really necessary.

Mrbob

MirageDwarf said:
I'm pretty early in the the game. Finished first mission after intro. Do you need augmentation to be able to throw cardbox too? I keep pressing throw button ('G' in my case) but it doesn't do anything.

After you pick something up press the left mouse button to throw.

MirageDwarf said:

G is to throw grenades. When you're holding something, left mouse button throws it.

abunai

ChoklitReign said:
What's so bad about the bosses? Is there not enough cover or stealth options? Most of them sound like they're vulnerable to EMPs and stunning.

It goes against the design of the rest of the game. There's no choice in it whatsoever, you /have/ to fight. Even if you spec your character to stealth, you're expected to go in a straight up firefight and it's really bewildering they decided to include it in the game.

First boss I just threw a stun grenade at him then 3 grenades and popped him with my machine pistol. Fight was over in about 10 seconds and I'm using a stealth character.

Darkone

I did not start the game yet but this comment from Gamespot review kinda sucked the fun for me to start the game, hope a patch can do something about it.

Poor boss fights remove the element of choice.

Tacitus_

Rickenslacker said:
I was sad that neither made an appearance in HR. Felt like they were ripe for some kind of cameo.

Gunther is supposedly in the Human Revolution book that came out around now

Echoplx

A storage 'locker' would be cool, just put one in every hub at like a train station or something, so you can keep your items between areas.

Half my inventory is ammo :lol got well over 500 bullets for my shotgun/combat rifle/machine pistol/sniper (yes I carry all that)

3chopl0x said:
A storage 'locker' would be cool, just put one in every hub at like a train station or something, so you can keep your items between areas.

Half my inventory is ammo :lol got well over 500 bullets for my shotgun/combat rifle/machine pistol/sniper (yes I carry all that)
I dunno I just feel like that misses the point. Make your choices on weapons, I rolled with a pistol and revolver for the entire game. I'm sure I'll have an eventual playthrough dedicated to making the rocket launcher useful.

Laekon

So I just
deactivated the antenna
in Detroit. If I take the mission way out will I still be able to finish side missions in the city?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
abunai said:
It goes against the design of the rest of the game. There's no choice in it whatsoever, you /have/ to fight. Even if you spec your character to stealth, you're expected to go in a straight up firefight and it's really bewildering they decided to include it in the game.

they could create more stealth opportunities but I was playing stealth against the boss. EMP+FRAG - hide behind columns, one mag from machine rifle in the head, EMP, run away, one more EMP and mag, he's dead. About 2 minutes or so.

I caught a couple of references to the Leafs sucking (somebody signed their e-mail "leafssuck17" or something). And I think I read here that there's also a reference to the Habs beating the Red Wings. This pleases me and bumps the game from a 95 to a 96.

Darkone said:
I did not start the game yet but this comment from Gamespot review kinda sucked the fun for me to start the game, hope a patch can do something about it.

Poor boss fights remove the element of choice.

It's not that big of a deal. You can easily down each of them in 20 seconds. The rest of the game is completely open, you're never forced to kill anyone. So that's like 80 seconds where you have to fight.

zlatko

Banned
tiff said:
Yeah, default's 75, I believe. You can change it in the PC version.

:( Fudge, then yeah I'll have to get PC version.

Does anyone know how long the game is if I just ignore all the side quests? I may be able to power through it on a stealth play through by ignoring the extras, then picking the game up later on PC for the full experience and do a terminator run through.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I never minded the boss fights. I actually see why they were included. While it may go against how some people choose to play the game (stealth, non-lethal), you have a good reason to drop that shit and kill those motherfuckers. They killed your ex-girlfriend, your co-workers, and they basically took the choice of augmentation away from you. They deserve to fucking die.

There is a reason why each of the bosses get their own scene in the beginning. You see right in front of your face how brutal and heartless they are.

When it comes to the bosses. It is about revenge.

Clevinger

revolverjgw said:
It's not that big of a deal. You can easily down each of them in 20 seconds. The rest of the game is completely open, you're never forced to kill anyone. So that's like 80 seconds where you have to fight.

Yeah, the boss fights are overblown. They're unfortunate (only that there's not a killswitch like with Gunther), but they only take like 5 or 10 minutes out of 20-40 hours of playtime.

Salsa

SalsaShark said:
driver sweeper aftermath:

2c4e3b4f728a42a3d17f31acf215a71de569a7f7.jpg

d533dc9210f4b3b2fb06fc29a2ad5e0f463b0714.jpg

1e5acda23fb212d07d7a47a129924fcfdeaac661.jpg

derp :/

again, screenshot proof of this exact same spot not looking like this would greatly help to convince me that i should look into the issue. You can not notice it when you're playing, and its only on dynamic shadows (wich is not most), but its really really noticeable (screens speak for themselves) in certain spots so yeah, wanna see if this is not widespread.

edit: just saw loblaw's post.

Shit, this is really plagging PC ports lately, i really wonder why people dont notice it more. Unless the 3 of us have some kind of freak issue.

edit: at least i get to say: in your face stallion!

BigJiantRobut said:
0c65fcb2fa6ac7081425bd52ac24b8118988a0bd.jpg

Could anyone else running the game on full settings go to this location and take a screenshot? This only seems to happen with a few very specific dynamic shadows but it's driving me up the wall

quote for new day (lol)

still wanna find out if more people are having this issue.

Screenshot above is the
Tai Young Medical building, the part where you fight two robots to disable the security system
, and the below one is leaving the Detroit metro station going towards the police station.

If anyone has saves there, we're trying to figure out if this is a common issue with the game or if there's something wrong with the 3 of us that seem to be having the issue. So if you could go to those spots and take a screenshot, we would really appreciate it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lol, did the bouncer at the Hive really think I was going to buy a pass into the club? Why spend $1000 on a pass when I have bionic fists? Ret's just say that he paid for his ignorance.

subversus

Wow, China hub is beatiful. I think I'm done for a week. Almost 13 hours straight, that's not good.

Kintaro said:
When it comes to the bosses. It is about revenge.

yeah, but they could make an option of three (or more) brutal takedowns to kill them, like you have sneak behind them and stab them 3 times instead of playing Gears of War.

Biggzy

Finally got my hands on the game on Friday. Never played any of the first two Deus Ex games, but a guy i know was ranting and raving about the 1st one and said i should be interested in this game. I am about 6 hrs into the game and i have to admit i am liking what i am liking what i am playing, also i have to say that this game drips in athmosphere, very good art choice from Eidos.

Hmm, every time I press the tab key to view a training video, the game freezes and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del my way out of it and shut the program down. I've seen a few threads around with people having the same problem, but not a solution as yet. Don't suppose anyone's seen a fix, have they? It's very annoying.

cackhyena

Snuggler said:
Lol, did the bouncer at the Hive really think I was going to buy a pass into the club? Why spend $1000 on a pass when I have bionic fists? Ret's just say that he paid for his ignorance.
Whether you meant this or not, I smiled.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
subversus said:
yeah, but they could make an option of three (or more) brutal takedowns to kill them, like you have sneak behind them and stab them 3 times instead of playing Gears of War.

Fuck that. Revolvers and Granade Launchers to the face.

Fletcher

I like this game a lot. I was doing a stealth run, but was getting frustrated being noticed and just letting myself get killed to restart the area. So i restarted the game to run first play through normal. Will get back to stealth run through later.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So... about alarms. If I get spotted by a camera or guard and they go "alarmed" but never actually find me/ turn hostile... am I still in the running for the no alarms trophy?

Salsa

Evolved1 said:
So... about alarms. If I get spotted by a camera or guard and they go "alarmed" but never actually find me/ turn hostile... am I still in the running for the no alarms trophy?

pretty sure you can go even further than that, they can turn hostile but as long as the alarm doesnt sound.. well there's no alarm. You can take care of this by hacking the alarm stations (those green things they activate with their hand)

Fletcher

Evolved1 said:

I think you're boned.

Wallach

Evolved1 said:

Speaking of alarms, in the first mission it seemed like there was at least one area where an alarm was already running when I got to the area, but none of the guys seemed to notice. That was just part of the building security right? Not something I triggered?

Derrick01

Banned
Evolved1 said:

This is the million dollar question. I've run into plenty of alarmed states but they seem to just play out like a "suspicious" state, where they think someone's there and they'll search but they haven't actually seen anyone yet.

We need clarification on this.

I figured an alarm was when they knew you were there and the radar/their arrow turned red. That's always the way it works in stealth games.

If it's just the "alarmed" state with the yellow arrow, then I'm not even going to bother with my planned no-alerts run. Too hard for me.

I think Hostile is the only status that matters. I got the achievement and I'm pretty sure I got Alarmed/Suspicious on a few occasions, although I did my best not to.

Also, is there a way to both kill Zeke and save Josie in the beginning?

Wallach

revolverjgw said:
I figured an alarm was when they knew you were there and the radar/their arrow turned red. That's always the way it works in stealth games.

If it's just the "alarmed" state with the yellow arrow, then I'm not even going to bother with my planned no-alerts run. Too hard for me.

I don't think it's the latter. Doesn't that happen if you distract them with an object? I don't think they'd want to take that option away from someone trying to play a no-detection run.

Evolved1 said:

Enemies can go hostel, but cameras and robots are tied to the alarm system i believe.

Solo

Just finished Detroit. Barrett was a fucking joke. I don't know why there have been so many posts here about having difficulty beating him. He went down on my first try. Stun gun shot + headshots from machine pistol = dead in 30 seconds.

subversus

Solo said:
Just finished Detroit. Barrett was a fucking joke. I don't know why there have been so many posts here about having difficulty beating him. He went down on my first try. Stun gun shot + headshots from machine pistol = dead in 30 seconds.

yeah, you should basically stun him and headshot him from something powerful and precise. His grenades are stupid though.

Wow. Deus Ex: HR is now at 54k concurrent users on Steam. That is probably the highest non-Valve single player game that's ever been that high. If we use the metric from Tripwire that to get that number the user base has to be at least 10 times bigger, then we can infer that HR sold 500k copies worlwide on pc in the first week. Not bad, not bad at all.

Wish I could join you, but the stuttering problem makes the game unplayable for me.

~Kinggi~

Banned
God damn Jensens apartment is so awesome and moody. I love the
mirror broken with the note saying he needs to replace it again. He must hate his augs

scitek

This is on sale right now on INT Keys for $24.99, isn't it region locked? I'm in the US, so it wouldn't activate on Steam, I assume.

Top Bottom