• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Just beat it the game. I take back what I said, the Story is perfect. The gameplay is perfect, the artwork is perfect, the voicework is perfect, fuck everything in this game is glorious.

Masterpiece. I cried in the end, I don't do this in a videogame since the Bioshock ending from 2007.

Exuro

Are keypads off for anyone? When I use my mouse to click the buttons the bottom half seem to go to the button below it so pressing the bottom half of 1 highlights/clicks 4 instead.

JohngPR

Stallion Free said:
I don't get why people keep saying this? Did they not play Deus Ex 1? The stealth is exactly like the original.

It shares quite a few simularities but it's not exactly like the original. I'd argue the stealth plays more like MGS than Deus Ex 1.

I just sequence broke really badly. Instead of punishing me the game triggered a bit of coms dialogue hinting at the future objective. Magnificent.

Qwomo

Yeah, the stealth is definitely far more Metal Gear than traditional Deus Ex, particularly with regards to the simplistic AI.

Which isn't a bad thing, mind you.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I can't play this game non-stealth... because I have an uncontrollable compulsion to power game. I cannot not do the thing that gives the most XP. Especially with how limited points for augmentations seem to be. Ninja style gives the most points (by a landslide) so ninja style it must be.

Also... not too bad since I prefer ninja to tank.

RoboPlato said:
Aside from the vent others have mentioned
there's a membership card in one of the rooms in the brothel.
That's exactly what I did. I
also ended up finding an employee card for the Pangu
in that same place.

I beat the game this morning and it's all kinds of fun and awesome. I want a sequel now.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
JohngPR said:
It shares quite a few simularities but it's not exactly like the original. I'd argue the stealth plays more like MGS than Deus Ex 1.
Yeah, the game feels very MGS in regards to the alert system in particular, but still feels enough like Deus Ex should to keep me happy.

So far I most definitely intend on playing through to the end at least a couple of times to test out different methods of play and plot choices. The game certainly deserves to be called Deus Ex and frankly that's not something I expected when this game was first announced.

One thing to note is how many people are playing on Steam right now, over 50k and has been up there all day. For once can the PC edition get close to the console versions sales wise?

Zeliard

A Human Becoming said:
Is there another way to get into the Hive besides bribery or persuasion (I assume that's a way). I don't want to pay the money and can't upgrade my social encounter.

There's a very easy and direct way to get into The Hive. Think about it. :p

epmode said:
Just got to Hengsha. While I think that the first game wins out in the end, this is an infinitely better conversion to modern game design than Bioshock was for System Shock. Brilliant game.

If I had to complain, my biggest issue is with the skill system. The skills are great, don't get me wrong. ..but goddammit, they balanced it so that it's possible to max out nearly every skill in one playthrough. For a game so concerned with decisions and consequences, this is a big disappointment (even though I'm not surprised).

Yeah in the first game it locked you out of various other upgrades as you went on, especially augs, where you were limited to one per slot (out of 2 choices).

It's why I was wondering prior to release if the aug system here had those sorts of limitations. By the end of the game you're almost a master-of-all-trades.

Still I think it works well enough since the early game still requires careful Praxis management.

Evolved1 said:
I can't play this game non-stealth... because I have an uncontrollable compulsion to power game. I cannot not do the thing that gives the most XP. Especially with how limited points for augmentations seem to be. Ninja style gives the most points (by a landslide) so ninja style it must be.

Also... not too bad since I prefer ninja to tank.

They're not very limited. I mean, you'll be spending points on things you don't even care about just to spend them.

I enjoyed some characters a lot -
Eliza and Zhao
were the best IMO.

P.S. Got Pacifism and Give Me Deus Ex achievements - I'm one with the machine!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Confidence Man said:
They're not very limited. I mean, you'll be spending points on things you don't even care about just to spend them.

Oh... ok. I'm still pretty early and my feeling is that the game was being a little stingy with them. Hard choices in the beginning and initial investments of 2 points for most of the stuff is a little steep when you're first figuring out the game.

But not really a complaint... so far there's nothing to complain about with this one. It's a true sequel to Deus Ex.

Oh and the music...

Walshicus

Anyone know the code to the safe in the police shed in Motherly Ties? The internet seems to have the 4891 code to the shed listed but nobody seems to acknowledge that there's a safe in there!

KorrZ

Evolved1 said:
Oh... ok. I'm still pretty early and my feeling is that the game was being a little stingy with them. Hard choices in the beginning and initial investments of 2 points for most of the stuff is a little steep when you're first figuring out the game.

But not really a complaint... so far there's nothing to complain about with this one. It's a true sequel to Deus Ex.

Oh and the music...

Honestly, just spend them on the things you need. I've got 10 unspent points on me right now just because I don't really NEED anything. You get way more Praxis Points than you'll ever need to get all the useful augs.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm curious, do codes work on locks before you even know the code? Like if you had a cheat sheet, or somehow randomly guessed?

Blizzard

Banned
Steam said:
61,275 69,902 Team Fortress 2
53,193 55,398 Deus Ex - Human Revolution
47,225 56,231 Counter-Strike: Source
45,522 55,623 Counter-Strike
24,087 25,222 Sid Meier's Civilization V

The only single game played more at the moment is FREE.

Timber

Sir Fragula said:
Anyone know the code to the safe in the police shed in Motherly Ties? The internet seems to have the 4891 code to the shed listed but nobody seems to acknowledge that there's a safe in there!
Don't remember the code, but if you have the social enhancement aug you can get it off the cop you talked to in the hallway of that apartment building.

Solo

Hengsha takes some very heavy inspiration from Hong Kong in the original DX. Me likes. It has that same feel of being grimey, overpopulated, lived-in and labyrinthe. Very nice!

Walshicus

Timber said:
Don't remember the code, but if you have the social enhancement aug you can get it off the cop you talked to in the hallway of that apartment building.
Yeah, I fucked that up. I thought I knew how that aug worked, but guess I didn't. :(

Qwomo

Speaking of the credits, I feel like the slideshow of the developer team was kind of misplaced.

It distracted from a time that should've been spent ruminating on the ramifications of your decisions.

Instead it just turned the credits into a game of "spot Adam Jensen's model".

Ferrio said:
I'm curious, do codes work on locks before you even know the code? Like if you had a cheat sheet, or somehow randomly guessed?

I'm pretty sure that like Deus Ex every computer and keypad has a unique code or password.

hacking minigames seem to be unique too, but I'm not 100% sure.

SpartanForce said:
Just beat it the game. I take back what I said, the Story is perfect. The gameplay is perfect, the artwork is perfect, the voicework is perfect, fuck everything in this game is glorious.

Masterpiece. I cried in the end, I don't do this in a videogame since the Bioshock ending from 2007.

I didn't cry, but I enjoyed the endings and
each of Jensen's speeches were kind of affecting

Can someone tell me the meaningful changes for failing speech challenges? Is it just the loss of codes and the 100 xp? Is it ever even worth it to fail them?

I got the augment my first play through, succeeded at every speech, and got all the achievements, and id like to play as differently as possible this playthrough.

~Kinggi~

Banned
fuckin boss in this game sucks ass. Everyone sayin he goes down easy is talkin out yer asses. Threw 2 nades at him and unloaded clips into him and motherfucker wont die. Stupid frustration.

~Kinggi~ said:
fuckin boss in this game sucks ass. Everyone sayin he goes down easy is talkin out yer asses. Threw 2 nades at him and unloaded clips into him and motherfucker wont die. Stupid frustration.

STUN GUN then have your way with them. This works for every humanoid boss. I beat the third boss in seconds. Stun gun, combat rifle clip to the head, done

~Kinggi~ said:

Just wait for the next boss, wow...

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Evolved1 said:
I almost messed this up today... in a sewer with electrified water... I knocked a guy out and his arm dipped in. It freaking killed him! I just noticed the skull icon when I was done looting his body. Reloaded, did that section over.

I would have been irate if that single oversight had ruined an entire playthrough. But I really wouldn't have had the slightest idea what had caused it...
It's already happened. Give up.

edit:
People having trouble with the bosses... get Typhoon. They'll go down in no time at all.

vazel

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
The bosses are very easy to beat on hard mode if you have mines.

In the first boss fight I threw EMP grenades at him to stun him and then fired at him. When I ran out of EMP grenades I just moved around cover and shot at him. For the second boss there is a cheap way of beating her if you use the environment(just be sure to get the dermal augmentation to resist electricity). The third boss fight I beat with mines.
Solo said:
Hengsha takes some very heavy inspiration from Hong Kong in the original DX. Me likes. It has that same feel of being grimey, overpopulated, lived-in and labyrinthe. Very nice!
Yea Hengsha has a very urban sprawl maze-like feel to it. Which I thought was weird for a planned city...

pahamrick

~Kinggi~ said:

First boss in detroit? I emp'd him, then ran up and kept hitting him with the stun gun until I ran out of ammo. After that a few pistol shots to the head took him out.

metalshade

Sir Fragula said:
Yeah, I fucked that up. I thought I knew how that aug worked, but guess I didn't. :(
Tell me about it, I have NO idea how best to leverage the social aug, I really dont know how it works.
Any hints guys?
Btw, I am only on mission 9 I think, in a warehouse where I have just met my first box, and this game is amazing, I broke sequence all over the place and the game didnt even bat an eyelid (so to speak.)
This might keep me going far beyond Rage and Skyrim even.

pahamrick

metalshade said:
Tell me about it, I have NO idea how best to leverage the social aug, I really dont know how it works.
Any hints guys?
Btw, I am only on mission 9 I think, in a warehouse where I have just met my first box, and this game is amazing, I broke sequence all over the place and the game didnt even bat an eyelid (so to speak.)
This might keep me going far beyond Rage and Skyrim even.

The way the social aug works (For the non-persuasion people who get that extra special bit of information) is to essentially pay attention to the Alpha / Beta / Omega bar in the top left corner as you talk to them. Watch for the flashing bars, which ever part (Alpha,ect) get the most flashing bars you can bet that's their personality type.

Then when you get the option to release the pheromones just pick the same option to 'force' a resolution. That's how I've been using it.

This game would be sooooooo good if it weren't for these stupid-ass boss fights. These guys are doing Thief 4 Thi4f, right? I hope they listen to the feedback or leave boss fights out completely.

Mission before first boss time spoiler...

So there are
2 janitors in the second last level of the FEMA facility, he mentions something about a dirty vent but i cant find it, help???

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
My performance issues are starting to hinder my enjoyment of the game. It went from infrequently to every few minutes. Not sure what's causing it to run so poorly now. I might have to tweak the advanced settings again.

masterkajo

I am having a hard time hacking. I understand the concept but so far I have 3 praxis points and put them into "Hacking LV2 and LV3" and "bigger Inventory". Now I am having a hard time hacking any system that has a large network because of 50% detection rate at each node of level 1. This way I can never get all the cubes with the nice little bonuses... :(
Shouldn't have put a point in Hacking LV3 (but then I can't hack them at all) and ruther into stealthy hacking so I at least don't have as much trouble with LV2 hacking.

masterkajo said:
I am having a hard time hacking. I understand the concept but so far I have 3 praxis points and put them into "Hacking LV2 and LV3" and "bigger Inventory". Now I am having a hard time hacking any system that has a large network because of 50% detection rate at each node of level 1. This way I can never get all the cubes with the nice little bonuses... :(
Shouldn't have put a point in Hacking LV3 (but then I can't hack them at all) and ruther into stealthy hacking so I at least don't have as much trouble with LV2 hacking.

You need to max out stealth-hacking to lessen detection rates. Don't bother with Fortify or Analyze, you don't need them. With max stealth and careful use of worms and stop viruses, you should be able to hack anything easily and have dozens of viruses left over at the end.

metalshade

pahamrick said:
The way the social aug works (For the non-persuasion people who get that extra special bit of information) is to essentially pay attention to the Alpha / Beta / Omega bar in the top left corner as you talk to them. Watch for the flashing bars, which ever part (Alpha,ect) get the most flashing bars you can bet that's their personality type.

Then when you get the option to release the pheromones just pick the same option to 'force' a resolution. That's how I've been using it.

Yeah that is the way I have been using it, but I dont know, it doesnt seem to be doing anything for me, I will try paying even more attention later, trying different approaches, see what results I get.
Also, the persuasion level displays, anyone worked out how they all work?
Obviously I figured out the line, but the heart and the seperate layers?
Anywho, great game, so much depth! Just dont drown, lol.

Top Bottom