• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Mindlog

Qwomo said:
Well that's awfully annoying!

Game should've done a better job of communicating that information.
I got a bit lost on that one as well. I just kept checking all of them :]

I am doing a joint second playthrough. This time around I am spending praxis points in Hack Stealth. I was hoarding my nukes and worms needlessly on my first playthrough.

The little touches that make me grin;
Meeting one of the early game thugs a second time around and him lamenting he didn't see me the first time around.

Echoplx

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I'm already there a second time and I've completed all the other quests.

It activates after you do some of the main story mission.

After you visit your apartment walk toward the LIMB clinic and you should get the call

Ourobolus

Banned
Stitch said:
first boss. shit sucks. >:[

i hope i can somehow kill him with my pistol...
I'm playing on the hardest difficulty as a pacifist and managed to kill him in about 15 seconds by
throwing every goddamn thing in the room at him. Grab the fire extinguisher you start next to and toss it at him. Then grab the two gas canisters behind you and throw those, run to the other side of the room and throw the explosive barrels. He was dead after that for me.

anddo0

3chopl0x said:
I've played 25 hours without a single bug or crash. Must be lucky?

Same here. Not a single crash in 32 hours of play. Other than the initial long load times. I've had no technical issues with the game.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
JambiBum said:
cMOnu.png
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz3ic9ZNXNU

CaLe

I'm not sure why you guys were having trouble killing the first boss. I simply threw a few concussion grenades and shot him multiple times in the face using my handgun (which had armor piercing rounds and a damage enhancer). He was down in less than a minute.

Very fun game thus far.

Revolutionary said:
Okay, recorded a quick and easy strategy for the first boss, since it seems to be a recurring issue in this thread. If you're having trouble with the first boss (particularly stealth builds), try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsa5Z4wvoa8

Very nice.

Dresden

So I hear that there's a infinite xp glitch.

NFirst you need to find something you can hack that contains the bonus nodes. They are the nodes that look sort of like cubes. These will give you different bonuses like EXP, Credits and hacking software.

THIS PART IS IMPORTANT - make sure the device you are hacking has a path that will LET you reach the red tower node (This is the node that that starts tracing you to try and kick you out). Many devices in the game have red nodes that are impossible to reach due to one way paths. If you look at the path connected to the red tower node and see some arrows pointing away from it, then it is a one way and this method will not work.

Once you find the ideal device to hack, follow the 4 steps below -

1 - Save the game when facing the device (just walk up to it, don't interact with it before saving)

2 - Interact with the device and proceed to hack it by going straight for the red node. (You can even use some of your saved up nuke software to speed things up as you will get them back every time you reload)

3 - once successful, don't exit from the hacking screen, simply reload your save from within the hacking interface (In other words, when you are successful in a hack it asks you to press "X"... DON'T PRESS "X". This is where you need to reload the save)

4 - repeat step 2 and 3 until your bonuses have multiplied to the level you want. THEN go ahead and finish the hack by pressing "X" and collect your rewards..
Can't test it out since I won't be playing until tomorrow but if anyone wants to test it... sounds like too much pain, though.

3chopl0x said:
It activates after you do some of the main story mission.

After you visit your apartment walk toward the LIMB clinic and you should get the call

I tried all that. The only option I have is the mission marker that will take me back to China.

samoset said:
I was really loving this game up to the first boss battle. It's pretty messed up that the game allows and encourages you to play a stealthy character and punishes you for it in the boss battles by not allowing you to approach it in a stealthy manner. Putting you in a room with crates to fight a walking bullet sponge is not good game-play design in any manner. I don't even understand why they felt it necessary to create "boss battles" in any traditional sense they just feel so out of place here.

This game feels like a FPS MGS1 game then Deus Ex game sometimes.

Stitch

Gold Member
Ourobolus said:
I'm playing on the hardest difficulty as a pacifist and managed to kill him in about 15 seconds by
throwing every goddamn thing in the room at him. Grab the fire extinguisher you start next to and toss it at him. Then grab the two gas canisters behind you and throw those, run to the other side of the room and throw the explosive barrels. He was dead after that for me.
lol thanks, it worked. with a bit help from my pistol :p

Neiteio

Y2Kev said:
how genius is this game for keeping TWO autosaves?
The game keeping two autosaves really is genius and should be standard as far as I'm concerned. Those, plus the ability to make individual saves, is simply fantastic.

There were boss battles in DX too, you know. You could technically avoid them but you would need to find very specific bits of information to avoid your fights with
Gunther and Walton Simons.
And AFAIK, the fight with
Anna Nevarre
could not be bypassed!

Derrick01

Banned
Heavy said:
Any way to open the lvl 5 gate next to the basketball court besides hacking? What's inside it?

I opened it with one of those automatic hacking tools that the vendor nearby in the gas station was selling.

If you're talking about the gate I'm thinking, a bunch of poison gas is inside that you need to get rid of. It has various loot that may or may not be important, depending on your style.

Derrick01

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
I never found the automatic hacking tools.

Maybe they only appear if you preordered from gamestop? I don't know, I found a ton over the course of my playthrough. Some were from the vendors but I found probably 15-20 throughout the world too.

My game must be bugged or something. I beat it and now realise it. Its that the energy bars only go 1 level, unless that I take some energy food. I aug myself to 5 bars I guess lol, but it stood in 1 almost every time.

JambiBum said:

Yeah, I spent all my aug points at the start of the game on sprinting longer & faster, since it was getting way too tedious running back & forth in the hubs.

Sprinting still felt way too slow & while you sprint for a longer time, the sprint meter has to recharge more than twice as long afterwards, which nearly negates the benefit.

Will not be investing any points into that in any future playthroughs.

SpartanForce said:
My game must be bugged or something. I beat it and now realise it. Its that the energy bars only go 1 level, unless that I take some energy food. I aug myself to 5 bars I guess lol, but it stood in 1 almost every time.

That's normal.

SpartanForce said:
No, that's how it works. It only recharges the first bar, unless the bar has some charge less.

So if you use an action that removes a whole bar (takedown or wall punch) it will be gone unless you use an energy item (unless it's the first bar).

If you use a draining action (like cloak or smart vision) and there's still a little bit of charge left, then that bar will always recharge.

Derrick01 said:
Maybe they only appear if you preordered from gamestop? I don't know, I found a ton over the course of my playthrough. Some were from the vendors but I found probably 15-20 throughout the world too.
Yeah, definitely a pre-order thing because I never ran into a single automatic hacking tool. In fact, the only reference to one I found was in an email about future and in-development technology.

TIME PARADOX

Derrick01

Banned
Hmm that really sucks that it's a preorder only item as they do come in handy when you need to hack something that could be in sight of an enemy.

They should let everyone have access to that. The preorder mission from gamestop sucks though and isn't worth it. If they don't release it as free dlc later on then I would tell everyone to not buy it.

Neiteio

Revolutionary said:
Okay, recorded a quick and easy strategy for the first boss, since it seems to be a recurring issue in this thread. If you're having trouble with the first boss (particularly stealth builds), try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsa5Z4wvoa8
I quit the game at that point and started and finished Vanquish since then. This video gives me hope I can get past the boss battle. Will I be able to throw objects that far even if I don't have any strength augs?

Ken

Derrick01 said:
Hmm that really sucks that it's a preorder only item as they do come in handy when you need to hack something that could be in sight of an enemy.

I heard that using the automatic hacking tool actually attracts enemies because it causes sparks and stuff to fly out of the lock. Is that true? I don't have the preorder DLC myself so I can't check.

Trouble

Banned
Just finished the game. Fantastic.

I was expecting the last boss fight to be hugely painful, but
grenade launcher FTW

Tempted to start a pacifistic run on the hardest setting, but I don't know if I have the patience. I generally didn't kill anyone who wasn't a "bad buy" in this run through, but there were a few times I unleashed robots/turrets because I just wanted to get through a section.

Derrick01

Banned
Ken said:
I heard that using the automatic hacking tool actually attracts enemies because it causes sparks and stuff to fly out of the lock. Is that true? I don't have the preorder DLC myself so I can't check.

It can if they're in the same room as you, but if they're outside it's extremely unlikely they will hear through the glass.

Also if you close the door it reduces sound that gets to the outside. Pretty neat little feature I read from one of the loading screens.

Neiteio said:
I quit the game at that point and started and finished Vanquish since then. This video gives me hope I can get past the boss battle. Will I be able to throw objects that far even if I don't have any strength augs?
Nah, just checked: no strength augs. Well, except for the high jump, but I highly doubt that affects my throwing ability. lol
You should be good with that strategy - it's on the highest difficulty and he still went down with relative ease.

zlatko

Banned
Okay, so what are my options with proximity mines on the wall blinking red? How can I avoid them to stay silent and not raise the guards suspicion?

If there is no way, then does it count as I have given myself away if I blow them up, but hide and never got caught as they search for me ?

The Stealth Fox

zlatko said:
Okay, so what are my options with proximity mines on the wall blinking red? How can I avoid them to stay silent and not raise the guards suspicion?

If there is no way, then does it count as I have given myself away if I blow them up, but hide and never got caught as they search for me ?

Crouch walk.

Neiteio

Revolutionary said:
Nah, just checked: no strength augs. Well, except for the high jump, but I highly doubt that affects my throwing ability. lol
You should be good with that strategy - it's on the highest difficulty and he still went down with relative ease.
Ah, good to know. :)

Danne-Danger said:
For future explorers:

There's nothing up there.
Really? Why do they put a hole in the fire escape then?

Derrick01

Banned
zlatko said:

If you can't find anyway around you have to crouch and move as slow as possible towards it. When you get close enough you can press the action button to disarm it and even take it if you want.

You have to move verrrry slow though, but the prompt comes up pretty far away from the mine though to make up for it.

Derrick01

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
That's what I wondered! You can stand there though, I guess that's something.

Yeah at least it's not an invisible wall. They really should have put something up there though to reward that crazy building of yours.

zlatko

Banned
Thanks for the heads up on mines. :) Also, when I equip a weapon with something to upgrade it with, if I drop it, but then pick up the same type later on, will those new ones still have those upgrades?

I need inventory space and want to drop my 10MM, which there are 90000 of in the environment, but I had just upgraded this one with armor piercing rounds, so I am not sure if I want to drop it now if a new one later won't get the bonus.

Top Bottom