• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

K701

Banned
SalsaShark said:
you know i really wonder how you play like that

i mean, im not trying to be offensive, but its a real question

like, you clearly dont look at all of it at the same time, specially considering the size of the HUD. The main screen is still the main screen.

So arent you basically just narrowing down the FOV on the important screen and getting it all distorted in the rest? looks like a fisheye camera, must look weird in motion tbh.

I might get it for other games, but cant imagine liking it on an FPS.

The main screen is the main screen as you said. But that main screen has the exact default FOV as the game would have in playing on only one screen. In other words, if you where standing in the same place as me in this pic, and only had one monitor you would see exactly the same picture as the main middle monitor on the bottom. Every other monitor is extra peripheral vision. If I turn the surrounding 5 monitors off I would see the same thing as you. But why would I do that? It's like you telling me seeing things with your eyes squinted to the point they are almost closed looks better than having them properly opened.

Only bad thing about it, is you can't go back to just one after playing like this. It feels claustrophobic.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
IoCaster said:
Honestly, I'm getting a Shadowrun (Genesis) vibe from the network hacking mini-game. It's strangely compelling enough that I just enjoy hacking regardless of whether I already have the necessary code available. This is extraordinary to me since I normally detest this type of 'time waster' BS in most games. *mind-boggled*
I pretty much always do the hacking, even if I don't have to, both because it's neat and because you get XP. It's not even really a decision I have to make. You don't get XP if you just use the proper password or passcode, so hacking is the way to go.

Salsa

K701 said:
The main screen is the main screen as you said. But that main screen has the exact default FOV as the game would have in playing on only one screen. In other words, if you where standing in the same place as me in this pic, and only had one monitor you would see exactly the same picture as the main middle monitor on the bottom. Every other monitor is extra peripheral vision. If I turn the surrounding 5 monitors off I would see the same thing as you. But why would I do that? It's like you telling me seeing things with your eyes squinted to the point they are almost closed looks better than having them properly opened.

Only bad thing about it, is you can't go back to just one after playing like this. It feels claustrophobic.

ahh i see

im still really not sold on it (and ive tried more than once at a friend's similar setup), guess im just used to how i play. The borders of the monitor also bother me in other types of games.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Quick question: does getting the "alarmed" status on your radar constitute failing the Foxhound trophy, or does it have to be "hostile"? Because if it's the former that's a bit much.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Sub_Level said:
Quick question: does getting the "alarmed" status on your radar constitute failing the Foxhound trophy, or does it have to be "hostile"? Because if it's the former that's a bit much.
Alarmed doesn't matter. I got plenty of 'ghost' medals even after that.

Sub_Level said:

If it's the same as getting the Ghost bonus for not being seen during a mission, then yes, it has to be Hostile. Alarmed just means they saw something unusual and are looking around (same as Caution), Hostile actually means they saw you and are now going to try and shoot you.

K701

Banned
SalsaShark said:
ahh i see

im still really not sold on it (and ive tried more than once at a friend's similar setup), guess im just used to how i play. The borders of the monitor also bother me in other types of games.

Ideally with proper Eyefinity support you would not look at the borders.

The FOV problem you mentioned happens in older games because multi monitor gaming wasn't big then. Here's a video of a guy using my same monitors (but only 3) to play unreal 3. He sets the FOV to vert -. so it cuts the top and bottom and zooms in to fill the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlmtjwIyMzY

Thats the bad way to do it.

Here's a video of a guy playing BC2 with proper Eyefinity support (FOV hor+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Q5xdSmOHE

That's the right way to do it.

Human revolution is the first game I've played that does it the right way on 6 monitors. Normally FPSs do 3 monitors max, and do zoomed in for the 6. But this game does it right, and it's VERY, VERY nice.

the only case of horrible voice acting for me was the hostage Zeke Sanders took at gunpoint at the start of the game.

I think they literally got a man to voice a woman. took me back to the good old days when it was mr denton in da fwesh

FatCat

I have this game sitting on my couch but won't be able to play it until wednesday afternoon :-(

All the positive stuff said about this game is making the wait even harder!

Nemesis_

Discotheque said:
the only case of horrible voice acting for me was the hostage Zeke Sanders took at gunpoint at the start of the game.

I think they literally got a man to voice a woman. took me back to the good old days when it was mr denton in da fwesh

IN DA FRESH

Qwomo

Discotheque said:

I thought a lot of the Hengsha stuff was terribly voiced. It sounds like they got people with speech impediments and tried to pass them off as Chinese.

A vast majority of the VO is great, though.

This must be wrong...

I did the main mission in Hengsha revisited.
The one where you are supposed to find the location of one of the
scientist & where you eventually find it's just the bartender
So I went to the yellow X, it leads to a door guarded by a bunch of Harvesters all around.
Despite being in the city, they will shot at me on sight without me causing anything them to be hostile.

Well after dying a few times going the combat route, I tried cloaking & running past all of the to the door, but the door was locked! Even if I threw a unlock device on it, it would still alert them & they would fire on me. I eventually just went to a roof & picked them all off, but still died a few times (the a.i. can apparently aim at you with a machine gun with dead-on accuracy from over a height of 80 feet).

How are you supposed to get through that section without killing anyone?

MMaRsu

I love the fact that the black janitor on the helipad @ Sarif is very knowledgable on almost everything Sarif. Talking about stock prices and shit haha

wutwutwut

See You Next Wednesday said:
This must be wrong...

I did the main mission in Hengsha revisited.
The one where you are supposed to find the location of one of the
scientist & where you eventually find it's just the bartender
So I went to the yellow X, it leads to a door guarded by a bunch of Harvesters all around.
Despite being in the city, they will shot at me on sight without me causing anything them to be hostile.

Well after dying a few times going the combat route, I tried cloaking & running past all of the to the door, but the door was locked! Even if I threw a unlock device on it, it would still alert them & they would fire on me. I eventually just went to a roof & picked them all off, but still died a few times (the a.i. can apparently aim at you with a machine gun with dead-on accuracy from over a height of 80 feet).

How are you supposed to get through that section without killing anyone?
By using a different route, of course. There are at least two other routes into the parking lot.

See You Next Wednesday said:
This must be wrong...

They are hostile until you reach your objective. There is other way around than frontal assault (as always).

Bliddo

Meisadragon said:
Alarmed doesn't matter. I got plenty of 'ghost' medals even after that.
What about getting shot by a turret?
I got shot by the first one that I encountered, and I couldn't find any way around that.

graywolf323

anyone else catch the Kevin Mitnick reference? I thought that was pretty hilarious

it's in an email from windmill on the computer in the first room on the third floor of the upper city labs in the Tai Yong Medical building

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Bliddo said:
I got shot by the first one that I encountered, and I couldn't find any way around that.

I know the one you're talking about, as I had trouble there for a little while too. Look around for a vent and it'll take your around it :)

Bliddo

Sub_Level said:
I know the one you're talking about, as I had trouble there for a little while too. Look around for a vent and it'll take your around it :)
Too late :D
I hope it doesn't count, I'm trying to get pacifist and foxy in my hard playthrough.

Skirn

Bliddo said:
I just stacked a shit-ton of crates and boxes in the hallway to block the turret's view.

KTallguy

Banned
Just beat the game. It was excellent. Great job Eidos Montreal. Much respect.

Spoiler for the end credits.
Awesome pictures and AWESOME easter egg at the end!!

Jintor

Godfuckingdamnit Cutscene Jensen you goddamn moron

My playtime was 19 hours on Give Me Deus Ex, but I played the leaked build so I went through Chicago very quickly. What is everyone else clocking in at?

It was Detroit you cretin!

FStop7

Banned
I lowered the difficulty so I could get past the first boss. When playing on hard I hit him with 4 exploding barrels plus some gas canisters and he still did not drop. All my weapons were ranged (tranq rifle and sniper rifle) and were useless. So I gave up and dropped to easy to finally move on. That fight is terrible if you're playing a hacker/sniper.

I took out my frustrations on some Belltower motherfuckers. 6 of them + a narrow corridor + grenades.

pahamrick

Just finished the story, and I loved the game from start to finish. It gave me that same feeling the first Deus Ex did.

Only the ending really bugged me, and only because
You don't really get to see any consequences of the choice(s) you made in the final montage. I picked the Sarif ending, and it would have been nice to get some sort of glimpse into how the world was affected by the choice of blaming the Humanity Front.

Aside from that, I have a few minor nitpicks against some design decisions:

1) I would have liked more aug choices for more specialized building paths OR have higher level augs require more praxis points. Towards the end of the game, I was only missing a handful of augs (Two aug upgrades dedicated to extra sprinting? Really?).

2) Forced boss fights. I didn't technically mind the boss fights at all, aside from a few that took me a few tries because I either screwed up or messed up my typhoon timing, but it would have been nice to be given the option to either bypass or not kill the bosses. Minor nitpick, not really an issue.

3) As many others have said: Complete lack of melee outside of the take down system. Adam has those awesome arm blades and mechanical hands but I never saw them at all since I went for a non-lethal stealth run. (Wish I would have known that the opening of the game counted against the pacifist achievement.)

There's probably a few more once I've let the experience sink in a bit more, but they're the ones that jump right to mind.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
My playtime was 19 hours on Give Me Deus Ex, but I played the leaked build so I went through Chicago very quickly. What is everyone else clocking in at?

I finished it on Give Me Deus Ex, but my steam counter is borked as it currently reads at 4 hours. I'm definitely in the 25+ hour range though.

Sotha Sil

Alright, I'm in love. I've played it for hours, and I'm still exploring Detroit. It's the Deus Ex we know and love. And I welcome the additions: punching a rude quest NPC has never felt so good. God, using super-jump to find a sniper's cache brought nerd tears to my eyes.

Bravo, Eidos.

Mulberry

graywolf323 said:
anyone else catch the Kevin Mitnick reference? I thought that was pretty hilarious

it's in an email from windmill on the computer in the first room on the third floor of the upper city labs in the Tai Yong Medical building

Lol, I'll look for that one.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
So would most people here say that Deus Ex:HR+ takes the cake for game of the year so far? I certainly do! (Sorry Witcher 2, Montreal's done a damn good job and deserves the recognition)

uh yes, I'd go so far as to say my game of the gen at the moment. Though that's mostly because it washed the bitter taste of Invisible War out of my mouth..Finally!!

Really really enjoying this. In fact, It's the best single player experience I've had in a long, long time. Like, years. It took me six hours to finish the first mission because I was having so much fun re-loading and trying different routes/methods. Seriously impressed.

Wanace

Awesomest moment for me so far (End of Shanghai spoilers):

After being pushed out of the panic room, sprinting with my cloak on into the circle of enemies discussing their battle plan, hearing them say "You hear someone running or jumping?" and then unleashing a typhoon and eliminating them all in one blow.

So cool.

FStop7

Banned
ZombieFred said:
So would most people here say that Deus Ex:HR+ takes the cake for game of the year so far? I certainly do! (Sorry Witcher 2, Montreal's done a damn good job and deserves the recognition)

Takes the cake? Nope. A contender? Sure.

Other contenders: Portal 2, Witcher 2, Dead Space 2.

And then there are the big hitters coming between now and Christmas.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Frank Pritchard is a dreadful character. Urgh. This game is so weird.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Discotheque said:
uh yes, I'd go so far as to say my game of the gen at the moment. Though that's mostly because it washed the bitter taste of Invisible War out of my mouth..Finally!!

Got to certainly agree there. I really do hope Michael Mccann jumps back again on board for the sequel. The music was absolutely perfect from start to finish, there wasn't even a single bad track he made, he really went all out and was definitely inspired what this game was about. I must of spent about 5 minutes alone in the Hong Hua Brothe third floor admiring the lighting and music here, watching the people around me react to what's going on. Mass Effect was the only game this generation to do this but this game had more moments where you just pause the game or stay still to just listen to the synth and amazing ambiance the guy's done. I hope the audio team wins awards.

FStop7 said:

I'll give portal 2 voice acting. Stephen Merchant really killed it. He managed to make Glados a mediocre character in comparison (yeah I said it!).

Also Witcher 2 was great. But meh at the other 'heavy hitters' I don't see any of them being as good as Deus Ex 3 really. Batman Arkham City will be pretty great though.

ZombieFred said:

The art and environmental design guys deserve praise. On the game and system design side they should be recognized only for squandering an amazing opportunity.

Tripwire is my only hope for delivering an uncompromising experience this year.

FStop7 said:

I can't argue with the other two, although I personally think Deus Ex trumps them, but Dead Space 2?

Top Bottom