• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Qwomo said:
Eugh, the thought of DLC for this game leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

Unless it's something truly magnificent I won't be touching that shit with a 10 foot pole.

I would pay $15 for a new hub with 2 major missions and 3 sidequests, same level of detail as current game. I could see that happening.

decon said:
Great game so far. 5 hours in and the stealth element starts to get a bit easier with the new upgrades but still haven't got the smooth operator bonus. I almost got through mission 7 without sounding the alarm but then I got to
top floor through the backyard ladder. First thing I see is 3-5 mines planted on the wall. I try to sneak pass the mines, but they turn out to be proxy mines. I don't take any damage but the alarmed was sounded. I reload a save game and look for shortcuts, but I find none. Anyone got the smooth operator on this mission?

Crouch, hold Ctrl, walk to the mine, press E to disarm.

Daeda

decon said:
Great game so far. 5 hours in and the stealth element starts to get a bit easier with the new upgrades but still haven't got the smooth operator bonus. I almost got through mission 7 without sounding the alarm but then I got to
top floor through the backyard ladder. First thing I see is 3-5 mines planted on the wall. I try to sneak pass the mines, but they turn out to be proxy mines. I don't take any damage but the alarmed was sounded. I reload a save game and look for shortcuts, but I find none. Anyone got the smooth operator on this mission?

Crouch + walk speed.. they dont react on slow movement.

Moss

Finished it last night,

I love love loved the vast majority of it, but, for me, it fell apart a little in the final section.

As with almost everyone else, I thought the boss fights were pretty poorly implemented.

And whilst the visual-style of the game needs to be applauded (the design elements were all so well-considered) I thought the environments could have done with a little more variety. The game hammers home that gold sheen so effectively, I was fully expecting at least one environment to pull the rug out from under me with a totally different, jarring aesthetic. It might have helped to emphasize the feeling of exploring an unfamiliar setting. As it stands, I didnt feel that the locations were substantially different enough from each other.

Sill, amazing game nonetheless.

ZombieFred said:
So would most people here say that Deus Ex:HR+ takes the cake for game of the year so far? I certainly do! (Sorry Witcher 2, Montreal's done a damn good job and deserves the recognition)

Honestly? No.

I certainly enjoyed it but for me it fell into the category of fun and somewhat forgettable. It has its moments that really shine and it never felt long (My steam tracker bugged and said my playthrough was only 10 hours and I believed it. Thats a + for Eidos Montreal, it was obviously double that).

But on the other end of the spectrum it really suffers from cheesy dialogue, an average plot, wonky animations and poor models on "unimportant" NPCs. I had some issues with the gameplay as well but they were minor and more personal qualms than legitimate problems so I cant hold them against the game.

I can see why some people are enamored with the game, it does have charm. I really liked main characters, especially Sarif and Jensen. I just never really got sucked in to the story. Maybe that's my fault. I suppose a lot of it just felt artificial to me (No pun intended).

I can't help but feel like a lot of what makes the game amazing for some people is that it's more Deus Ex. Obviously not the only reason, but a part of it.

Please dont take this the wrong way. As I said I enjoyed the game, I'll probably even replay it a couple times over the next year or two and I will certainly recommend it to my friends. This was my first game in the Deus Ex franchise and I certainly do not regret the money I put down to play it.

(If you are wondering what my favorite games of this year have been, I would probably say Portal 2 and Shogun: TW 2 and for reference my most anticipated titles are Uncharted 3 and Dark Souls)

Edit: I forgot about the bosses. I really didnt care for most of them. One encounter was pretty solid though.

Wanace

I got the 100 takedowns achievement, i'm not doing a pacifist run but it is satisfying doing non-lethal takedowns.

However towards the end of the game i'm just losing patience with the amount of enemies and just slaughtering them any way i can. Hacking turrets and robots, headshots, grenades, typhoon, it's all fair game now.

I don't feel like I'm missing out on experience either since I have basically all the augs I want. Feels pretty good.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
toasty_T said:
Oh man, the
laser
room would have been way more interesting if I didn't have the cloak aug.
It's actually very simple when you study the movements a bit. They could've made it a bit more challenging though, but I'm not complaining.

MrCompletely said:
I would pay $15 for a new hub with 2 major missions and 3 sidequests, same level of detail as current game. I could see that happening.
As would I. I would certainly love that because the mission structure for both main and side quests is just great. I love the hub approach as well.

Eusis

John_B said:
Awesome game.

PC gaming should abandon quick saves already. Implement very strong checkpoint systems instead.
The game seems to make liberal enough use of auto-saves as is, what point is there to removing a feature?

Tacitus_

John_B said:
Awesome game.

PC gaming should abandon quick saves already. Implement very strong checkpoint systems instead.

kWPVT.gif

sikkinixx

Canada-PC-GAF: If I buy the boxed retail version, do I get the OnLive code as well? Or is that only in the States? I want an excuse to use the console they gave out at PAX :(

Derrick01

Banned
ZombieFred said:
So would most people here say that Deus Ex:HR+ takes the cake for game of the year so far? I certainly do! (Sorry Witcher 2, Montreal's done a damn good job and deserves the recognition)

Yeah there hasn't been a smarter game released this year, not even witcher 2...plus this one actually had a proper final act ;)

I want to see what Batman and Skyrim will do but Skyrim will have to be pretty unbelievable to top this, all the news I hear from that game is some stat or other rpg element they chose to take out.

Derrick01 said:
I want to see what Batman and Skyrim will do but Skyrim will have to be pretty unbelievable to top this, all the news I hear from that game is some stat or other rpg element they chose to take out.

Skyrim will be in the "gets rated outrageously high even though it has loads of flaws" club along with Fallout 3, Oblivion, and every iteration of CoD and GTA. It would take an act of god to stop it from blitzing the RPG awards from nearly every gaming outlet this year.

It's just one of those things.

John_B

Yes, we all like to quick save - it makes us feel safe - but it just creates this weird flow of you constantly loading the game because you messed up a tiny bit. It makes the progression really boring, because you keep reloading until you get one step right before you take the next one.

Imagine Metal Gear Solid, Tetris or Gran Turismo with quick saving. Saving your progress after each guard passed, block laid or lap completed. The risk is taken away.

The problem with most check point systems today are that it saves your progress when you go into a building, but 3 floors, ten dudes dead and 2 new weapons later your progress is still very much in danger of being annulled if you mess up your next step.

I'm sure a checkpoint system as in God of War 3 or Uncharted would be complex to implement into a very open world game, but quick saving is a very old system that needs be improved.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's too early to say for sure, but I think Deus Ex will be a contender for GOTY. I have a few issues with it, but it excels in the areas that matter. That being said, I don't think it will dethrone The Wither 2 for me. It not a perfect game either, but I adore the universe and characters of The Witcher, I can't get enough of that shit.

Snuggler said:
It's too early to say for sure, but I think Deus Ex will be a contender for GOTY. I have a few issues with it, but it excels in the areas that matter. That being said, I don't think it will dethrone The Wither 2 for me. It not a perfect game either, but I adore the universe and characters of The Witcher. I can't get enough of that shit.

Witcher 2 and this both have metacritic scores too low for most mainstream outlets to give it GOTY. The hype trains for BF2, MW3, Skyrim, Batman and Uncharted 3 have far too much momentum for us to reasonably expect that DX3 will be at the forefront of everybody's mind come December/January.

We'll probably see something like Rock Paper Shotgun or maybe even GAF (although I doubt it) give it the GOTY, but it probably won't even be getting RPG of the year from most places.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheExodu5 said:
Though I haven't played much of HR yet, I don't know if it can top Xenoblade, for me.

I'm still too early in Xenoblade to judge it, but majority of the media (wait, I'm the media...) will ignore it on the principle that it's a Wii game, and a JRPG. Though it really only has Skyward Sword to go against it in the Wii specific catagories.

Skyrim will be the RPG darling for this year. Near everyone I know is already going apeshit over it. Witcher 2 will get ignored as its a PC only game (for the time being), and Deus Ex will probably get overshadowed by the aforementioned Elder Scrolls.

I'd assume Uncharted 3 to be another media darling, but I dont think it will be. Portal 2 will be in a good running for GOTY, and I think Gears 3 will be too if it ends the series on a strong note.

EDIT: For me personally, DE:HR will be in my top five for the GAF GOTY votes, possibly top three.

EatChildren said:
I'm still too early in Xenoblade to judge it, but majority of the media (wait, I'm the media...) will ignore it on the principle that it's a Wii game, and a JRPG. Though it really only has Skyward Sword to go against it in the Wii specific catagories.

Skyrim will be the RPG darling for this year. Near everyone I know is already going apeshit over it. Witcher 2 will get ignored as its a PC only game (for the time being), and Deus Ex will probably get overshadowed by the aforementioned Elder Scrolls.

I'd assume Uncharted 3 to be another media darling, but I dont think it will be. Portal 2 will be in a good running for GOTY, and I think Gears 3 will be too if it ends the series on a strong note.
The media will probably consider Deus Ex an FPS instead of an RPG.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Witcher 2 and this both have metacritic scores too low for most mainstream outlets to give it GOTY. The hype trains for BF2, MW3, Skyrim, Batman and Uncharted 3 have far too much momentum for us to reasonably expect that DX3 will be at the forefront of everybody's mind come December/January.

We'll probably see something like Rock Paper Shotgun or maybe even GAF (although I doubt it) give it the GOTY, but it probably won't even be getting RPG of the year from most places.

You're definitely right, I was only speaking from my perspective. Like you, I think Batman, Battlefield, Skyrim and Uncharted will be the popular choices among the mainstream outlets.

EatChildren said:

EDIT: For me personally, DE:HR will be in my top five for the GAF GOTY votes, possibly top three.

I think Portal 2 might suffer from "wait, did that game come out this year or last year" syndrome because it came out so early in the year. People either won't remember it when they cast their votes, or the experience of other games will be far fresher in their mind and thus they will be more likely to vote for those.

Zeliard

Quick saves at their best alleviate frustration and encourage experimentation. If they're making the game overly easy then that's just poor game design.

EatChildren said:
I'm still too early in Xenoblade to judge it, but majority of the media (wait, I'm the media...) will ignore it on the principle that it's a Wii game, and a JRPG.
More like they'll ignore it for not being released in the US.

Varna said:
I'm one of he biggest pc advocates here, but can someone explain to me to how quicksaves aren't basically cheating?

Any load abuse is "basically cheating", but quicksaves just mean you don't have to backtrack to the last autosave to do it. There are upsides to quicksaving too, like in games where the autosaves are shit or have poorly placed checkpoints, or when you want to drop a game and come back to it later. They can encourage experimentation in games, and DX is one of the prime examples of a game where this really shines (the other main one in my mind being Crysis).

I would probably go on a killing spree in real life if every game implemented a GTA IV style "forcing you not to save/load abuse".

Derrick01

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
I think Portal 2 might suffer from "wait, did that game come out this year or last year" syndrome because it came out so early in the year. People either won't remember it when they cast their votes, or the experience of other games will be far fresher in their mind and thus they will be more likely to vote for those.

That's the way it used to be before ME2 won the majority of the goty awards last year, at least according to the gaf thread where we took pretty much every media outlet's choice.

Though I do think Portal 2 will be passed over for the fall games.

ThoseDeafMutes said:

mass effect 2 was widely considered to be goty in 2010 and that came out like 2 weeks into january iirc

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeliard said:
Quick saves at their best alleviate frustration and encourage experimentation. If they're making the game overly easy then that's just poor game design.

This is why I wants quick saves in a game like Deus Ex. I always tap F5 before entering a room full of enemies so that I can experiment with different approaches until I find the right one. If autosaving was the only option, maybe there would be a greater sense of tension, but it would force me to play it safe to avoid the frustration of replaying a lengthy segment.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
darkpaladinmfc said:
The media will probably consider Deus Ex an FPS instead of an RPG.

Sad, but true.

ThoseDeafMutes said:

I'm inclined to agree, but I think for those that played it Portal 2 will have left something worth remembering. I think a lot of media outlets will give it GOTY, or at least close to. An early release getting GOTY awards is not as uncommon as it might seem.

But you're right, it might be forgotten. There are an awful lot of huge commercial releases coming out over the next few months.

Jaded Alyx said:
More like they'll ignore it for not being released in the US.

Also sad and true.

Zeliard

If past history is anything to go by, the mainstream games press 'consensus' for GOTY is almost certain to be either Skyrim or Uncharted 3, or largely split between those two. Don't even think Batman stands much of a chance.

EatChildren said:
I'm inclined to agree, but I think for those that played it Portal 2 will have left something worth remembering. I think a lot of media outlets will give it GOTY, or at least close to. An early release getting GOTY awards is not as uncommon as it might seem.

But you're right, it might be forgotten. There are an awful lot of huge commercial releases coming out over the next few months.

The other thing is that puzzle games are in the "never wins GOTY" ghetto. For me I wouldn't vote for Portal 2 simply because I didn't like it nearly as much as everyone else did, but I would be actively stunned if it did win any large number of GOTY awards. It's like how Comedies never win Best Picture.

Varna said:
I'm one of he biggest pc advocates here, but can someone explain to me to how quicksaves aren't basically cheating?

What's to cheat in (most of) today's videogames? Your health is always at full if you take cover and there's always ammo to be found in the next corridor.

Quicksaves enable experimentation, they don't take anything away from the game (although for survival horror games (as if there are any being made today) I prefer the typewriter + ribbon style of saving that Resident Evil games had! :D That was tense!)

Varna

Snuggler said:
This is why I wants quick saves in a game like Deus Ex. I always tap F5 before entering a room full of enemies so that I can experiment with different approaches until I find the right one. If autosaving was the only option, maybe there would be a greater sense of tension, but it would force me to play it safe to avoid the frustration of replaying a lengthy segment.

It's fine if you want to do it. But it pretty much destroys any intentions the game might have had. You have a radar and can see through walls if you wish. Game gives you so many tools to plan something.

angular graphics said:
What's to cheat in (most of) today's videogames? Your health is always at full if you take cover and there's always ammo to be found in the next corridor.

Quicksaves enable experimentation, they don't take anything away from the game (although for survival horror games (as if there are any being made today) I prefer the typewriter + ribbon style of saving that Resident Evil games had! :D That was tense!)

If you have to quick save after every enemy take-down (or any slight progress in any given scenario) it's pretty much cheating. Your are meant to be able to do it until the next checkpoint.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
EatChildren said:
Sad, but true.
You know what? If it means more sales for this wonderful game and more money for the amazing team behind it? Let them consider it an FPS. It'll be easier to sell to the masses that way, and I know a lot of non-'core' gamers who love it right now.

Zeliard

Varna said:
It's fine if you want to do it. But it pretty much destroys any intentions the game might have had. You have a radar and can see through walls if you wish. Game gives you so many tools to plan something.

Which is why it's nice to be able to quickly reload and try new stuff instead of having to go back from the last checkpoint.

It definitely depends on the type of game and what it's going for. Demon's Souls with a quick save system, for example, would be disastrous because it would totally destroy the game's tension.

But Deus Ex is a fairly blatant example of a quick save system adding hugely and fitting precisely with what the game is trying to do.

Just beat the first boss and am stunned at all the complaints I read these past few days. I beat him on like my 5th or 6th try... the whole sequence took about 10 minutes. I didn't even do anything fancy. I just threw an EMP grenade at him and then 2 frag grenades and then a few shots with the pistol and he was down. I think a barrel might have exploded next to him as well doing some damage. There's also a ton of weapons, ammo, and explosives lying around for you. Can't believe some people took 20-30 tries to beat him. As for the encounter itself, I didn't mind it at all and thought it helped move the story along, which was the whole point.

Anyway, 28 hours in (about 1-2 were alt-tabbed so around 26) and I'm about to hit Shanghai! lol can't wait!

O3El7.jpg

DaBuddaDa

EatChildren said:
Last year especially, wherein RDR, Mario Galaxy 2 and Mass Effect 2 took home the lion's share of GOTY awards and all of them came out in either March or May.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's slightly above Witcher 2 as my GOTY so far, but we'll see if that changes when the 2.0 patch comes out, and I do Roche's path.

I'll love the hell out of Saint's Row and Skyrim, but I can't think of anything that could potentially take the crown from this game. Revelations and Batman would have to blow my mind to do it. Now 2012 has potential GOTYs all over the place for me.

zoner said:
You know what? If it means more sales for this wonderful game and more money for the amazing team behind it? Let them consider it an FPS. It'll be easier to sell to the masses that way, and I know a lot of non-'core' gamers who love it right now.

Trouble is the masses might buy it but not appreciate it, proceed to complain about how "badly" designed it is, and make the developer team change the recipe for the sequel, "to attract new fans".

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
33-Hit-Combo said:
Having just hit up China, how far through am I? I hear there are only 2 proper hubs, and am quite worried about the game's length.
You got a while. The game is full of 'oh I think I'm near the end' 'NOPE'

edit: Also I'm finding these clear times a bit weird. I did all the side missions except one, and I wandered around for a bit but still managed to clear the game in 24 hours.

Top Bottom