• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Enco

anddo0 said:
Two emp grenades, gas cylinder, and maybe 6 rounds from my pistol. The second boss was even easier.
It sucks that they're so generic though.

Instead of making it so you need a load of head shots to kill a human, they should give you something that's actually challenging and makes sense.

Ah well, still a great game. GOTY so far.

edit: to the guy above, the video tutorials are a complete joke. Really really simple stuff.

masterkajo

I just found my appartement and was wondering if I let some of my stuff there (on the gound) will it vanish? Or will it stay there forever?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So I have both Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution installed in Steam.

I have played neither.

Which should I play first?

Londa

Banned
shintoki said:
Yup

Either knock out the 3 guards quickly and make your way across the room. Or from where you enter the room. You can go to the bottom right side, move a box, and find a vent. It will take you up across the rafters and then into the room where the hostages are. You have about 30 seconds to disarm the bomb then(Hack it).

The other hostage is the manager with Zeke. Multiple ways to do this. If you want to say no dice to him. You have about 3 seconds to take him out before he kills the manager. Shoot him in the head or stun gun him. He'll be out of the picture. You can also talk him out of releasing the hostage.

Wow, I wouldn't have had the skills to do that in my first playthrough. I bet there are many other situations like this. Sounds like the game will have a good amount of replay value.

Enco

Htown said:

I have played neither.

If you must, I would play DX before HR. Save the more modern game for last.

edit: as for the first mission hostage thing, there are lots of things to do. You can
shoot one of the cylinders to disarm it, hack it, get a code from a guard (I think) or you can just let them die

L00P

The bosses in the game were only hard because you didn't know what to expect. I just beat the first boss in my second playthrough and he didn't even last fifteen seconds. I'm gonna make sure I upgrade the right augs for the second boss. Bitch wouldn't even know what hit em

Bazhard

Banned
hmm apparently im getting laggy sound now and i know its not on my end (ps3,tv or headset) cause i just tested SVR'11 and Infamous 2 and both are fine.

Don't know what the fuck the problem is but its annoying, it's like my actions in the game have a 1-2 second delay till i hear the sound of the action

Amir0x said:
I thought when you get a call and he's all "get to the helicopter, the situation has changed and got worse" that it meant the hostages were killed. Because when I played the mission, I found a clear way to get in that hostage room sneakily if I had need to save them. (air duct behind staircase that led to a beam near the ceiling to another airduct that led to their room)

Holy shit...the hostages died because I was busy running taps and flushing toilets.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Enco said:
It sucks that they're so generic though.

Instead of making it so you need a load of head shots to kill a human, they should give you something that's actually challenging and makes sense.

Ah well, still a great game. GOTY so far.

edit: to the guy above, the video tutorials are a complete joke. Really really simple stuff.
The third boss has an awesome concept, but falls apart on execution.

Man said:
I would say it's almost too late playing Deus Ex 1... You must have some perseverance for outdated aspects.
It's kind of sad if you can't handle playing a game from 2000.

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
Started playing again this time Rambo style. Randomly started a gang war myself in detroit.. Shot at a few DMB Ballerz then hid near the punks.
...They started killing each other and I looted the bodies.
GOTY

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Londa said:
Wow, I wouldn't have had the skills to do that in my first playthrough. I bet there are many other situations like this. Sounds like the game will have a good amount of replay value.
Actually, you always have the skills to do it. I did it on my first run too.

Some people have already beaten the game with zero augs.

And sorry, its 4 guards(there is a fifth in the side door, but he doesn't come out), I took one out right away when I went into the room.

Order.

1. This guy patrols in a straight line when you entry and is the only one in his route, while the other three talk. Go make some noise to get him to come up the stairs. Take him out, drag body up.

2. The three in the center split up. One goes left and doesn't move. The other to Patrol the right side. I Traq the one who doesn't move. As the other two came over to investigate. The further back one takes a long route. I shot him as he moved and went to quickly melee the final.

If you don't want to do that, You can actually Traq the guy on the left and drag his body behind cover while the other two aren't looking. And then take out those two once they aren't facing each other. Traq shot one in the head(Instant down) and melee the other.

You need zero AUGs to do this.

masterkajo

fastford58 said:
Holy shit...the hostages died because I was busy running taps and flushing toilets.
What did you expect? It is just like in real life. If you don't stop flushing toilets the hostages will die.^^

But seriously, the game is soo awesome. I love that this decision have an impact.

Londa

Banned
shintoki said:
Actually, you always have the skills to do it. I did it on my first run too.

Some people have already beaten the game with zero augs.

And sorry, its 4 guards(there is a fifth in the side door, but he doesn't come out), I took one out right away when I went into the room.

Order.

1. This guy patrols in a straight line when you entry and is the only one in his route, while the other three talk. Go make some noise to get him to come up the stairs. Take him out, drag body up.

2. The three in the center split up. One goes left and doesn't move. The other to Patrol the right side. I Traq the one who doesn't move. As the other two came over to investigate. The further back one takes a long route. I shot him as he moved and went to quickly melee the final.

If you don't want to do that, You can actually Traq the guy on the left and drag his body behind cover while the other two aren't looking. And then take out those two once they aren't facing each other. Traq shot one in the head(Instant down) and melee the other.

You need zero AUGs to do this.

well I rarely play first person games. So trying to learn how to control my character took 15-30 minutes. lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Im surprised people stuffed up the hostage rescue. Even after playing the preview code multiple times over, I didn't even know you could screw it up until people started mentioning it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Stallion Free said:
I'm pretty sure the finale is impossible to do with zero hostile level alerts/no kills with no augs.
Didn't someone say they beat it on hard, with zero augs and no kills?

The guys definitely have a lower awareness, So I think you can crouch walk past many packs or find different routes.

Also a single shot of the PEGs gun will wipe out a lot without argo I believe

Gas Grenades too.

epmode

It's a little annoying how the game hitches whenever you look in the direction of a new area and I'm convinced that it has to do with asset compression. It sure would be neat if the PC version was patched to uncompress the content. Or maybe a mod, if it's possible. It worked for Stalker!

woober

epmode said:
It's a little annoying how the game hitches whenever you look in the direction of a new area and I'm convinced that it has to do with asset compression. It sure would be neat if the PC version was patched to uncompress the content. Or maybe a mod, if it's possible. It worked for Stalker!

Oddly enough, my game kept crashing on dx11 so I turned it off. As soon as I did, I started getting the hitches you're noting. Really odd considering it was so smooth on dx11.

Derrick01

Banned
EatChildren said:
Im surprised people stuffed up the hostage rescue. Even after playing the preview code multiple times over, I didn't even know you could screw it up until people started mentioning it.

I really took the time exploring everything I could in Sariff's building. Some people had computers that had codes or vents to other people's offices and it just kind of spread out, plus I was reading everything too.

If I had known I'd be going back there I wouldn't have bothered.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
shintoki said:
Didn't someone say they beat it on hard, with zero augs and no kills?

The guys definitely have a lower awareness, So I think you can crouch walk past many packs or find different routes.

Also a single shot of the PEGs gun will wipe out a lot without argo I believe

Gas Grenades too.
There are packs of 10+ guys and without the augs to access some of the best routes to avoid them it is pretty much impossible because they aggro at the slightest attack. It would take a retarded number of saves + sheer dumb luck, not skill.

There are a couple hallways, that outdoor area with 3ish levels, and that final bridge that that would force encounters. Gas grenades could avoid the aggro, but you would need to stock up 10-15.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Stallion Free said:
There are packs of 10+ guys and without the augs to access some of the best routes to avoid them it is pretty much impossible because they aggro at the slightest attack. It would take a retarded number of saves + sheer dumb luck, not skill.

There are a couple hallways, that outdoor area with 3ish levels, and that final bridge that that would force encounters. Gas grenades could avoid the aggro, but you would need to stock up 10-15.

I'll give it a try once I get up there again on Deus Ex difficulty. I won't use any Sprint + Cloak and stick with my normal crouch walk + weapons. I'll also talk to both side quests.

Its going to take a while though. My second playthroughs are slower and sadly, it overwrote my game about 2 and a half hours in.

tiff said:
Is this a late-game spoiler? Really?
Probably about two thirds.

Nothing particularly spoilery
You finish up the 2nd hub again, only two side quests and one main mission.

Then you get your final one which is a three part-er. You probably have another 7-10 hours depending on how you play.

Amir0x

Banned
fastford58 said:

Same. I poured over Sarif with a fine comb and then all the hostages died because of it. Fucking hell lol

Derrick01

Banned
Does having more stuff in your inventory slow you down a bit? I just started a new game and it feels like I'm moving a hell of a lot quicker.

BadTaste

I dunno if this is a bug or, but if I approached an area with a bunch of guards and quietly took one of them out and hid him somewhere, the other guards would be alerted? Do they keep track of each others patrolling routes or what? This happened ALOT.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man said:
Well, it was kinda outdated in some aspects in 2000 as well.

On the flip side, it also feels more expansive than many 2011 games. I played it when it first came out, and I played it a week ago, and I haven't lost any love for it.

Amir0x said:
Same. I poured over Sarif with a fine comb and then all the hostages died because of it. Fucking hell lol

Same here, even with the boss pestering me to hurry up. I didn't think it would actually matter! But whatever, some schmucks got themselves killed, not my problem.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
shintoki said:
I'll give it a try once I get up there again on Deus Ex difficulty. I won't use any Sprint + Cloak and stick with my normal crouch walk + weapons. I'll also talk to both side quests.

Its going to take a while though. My second playthroughs are slower and sadly, it overwrote my game about 2 and a half hours in.
Good luck man. I arrived at that final segment and I was just like "they trollin!"

Then I slapped on perfect silence + stealth and did it without a single "alarmed" in less than 3 batteries.

Derrick01 said:
Does having more stuff in your inventory slow you down a bit? I just started a new game and it feels like I'm moving a hell of a lot quicker.
No.

As a player with all visual aids turned off (including the reticle) I have to say that this game feels VEEEEERY long. I thought it was nearing the end by the second
visit to Detroit
but the game just keeps throwing stuff at me. I'm 25 hours in now and haven't even come face to face with the third boss yet. God damn.

This game is pretty much as long as DX1, isn't it? I'm pretty sure it's taking me longer than that game did when I played it for the first time. Loving every second of it! So many terminals to hack, so many e-mails to read, so many guards to headshot with my silenced 10mm pistol, so many dutch
hackers to have die because I didn't want to part with my 10mm pistol
. OH YES!

Htown said:

I have played neither.

Play Human Revolution first, that way when you play the original it will be like playing a sequel where they add a bunch of stuff instead of taking away.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Stallion Free said:
Good luck man. I arrived at that final segment and I was just like "they trollin!"

Then I slapped on perfect silence + stealth and did it without a single "alarmed" in less than 3 batteries.
They come running up to you and ask you not to shoot them. Screaming to help them.

I couldn't help but kill every last one of them. I went wild with the PEGs, Shotgun, and Revolver. Hacked turrets to take out the bridge, threw barrels like I was King Kong

^_^

TyrantGuardian said:
As a player with all visual aids turned off (including the reticle) I have to say that this game feels VEEEEERY long. I thought it was nearing the end by the second
visit to Detroit
but the game just keeps throwing stuff at me. I'm 25 hours in now and haven't even come face to face with the third boss yet. God damn.

This game is pretty much as long as DX1, isn't it? I'm pretty sure it's taking me longer than that game did when I played it for the first time. Loving every second of it! So many terminals to hack, so many e-mails to read, so many guards to headshot with my silenced 10mm pistol, so many dutch
hackers to have die because I didn't want to part with my 10mm pistol
. OH YES!

If you are taking that long. You probably have about 15 hours more.

Enco

I'm trying out the game with highlights off. Makes things harder but more rewarding and immersive.

Feel like I wasted 2 points on the seeing enemies through walls.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Confidence Man said:
Play Human Revolution first, that way when you play the original it will be like playing a sequel where they add a bunch of stuff instead of taking away.
Like taking away good gameplay. :eek:

woober

Confidence Man said:

Having played the original days before playing Human Revolution, I would not suggest doing that. The controls are so outdated that you're forced to practically do stealth (not that that's a bad thing). But after playing Human Revolution, I see myself being disappointed gameplay-wise in the original. It'll be fun to get all the references in Human Revolution after playing the 1st anyway.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
shintoki said:
They come running up to you and ask you not to shoot them. Screaming to help them.

I couldn't help but kill every last one of them. I went wild with the PEGs, Shotgun, and Revolver. Hacked turrets to take out the bridge, threw barrels like I was King Kong

^_^
Lmao. I'm holding off on a lethal run till the upcoming news and possibly the pre-order packs, but I'm so hyped to go crazy during the ending.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
GcFct.jpg

Invisible walls are lame, not that it matters much in this situation.

GLyP1.jpg

Damn glitches.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Stallion Free said:
Lmao. I'm holding off on a lethal run till the upcoming news and possibly the pre-order packs, but I'm so hyped to go crazy during the ending.

The game is really not designed around going Gung-Ho crazy, but that last level is perfect if you want to do it. They don't shoot back, some stop before attacking you screaming to help, you are at your strongest, and have access to all the best weapons in the game. And some of the situations are perfect like the bridge.

For most of the game, I was doing most of it non lethal, no alarms. Then I remember the prologue, realized I'd fuck up. Started controlling robots, dragging turrets around, etc.

EatChildren said:
1/3, possibly less, through the game. As zoner said you'll think its over when really you've got plenty ahead.
Exactly what i thought when I best china and the area after it. Still have lots left it seems!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A Human Becoming said:
http://i.imgur.com/GcFct.jpg

Invisible walls are lame, not that it matters much in this situation.

This specific part of the game pissed me off a little, as I felt the paths available to get through were really cool, yet for some reason they stuck an invisible wall where an extra option would have been totally valid. It was some wall near a camera, with boxes nearby as well. I figured you'd be able to either stack the boxes and/or high jump aug over the wall, running the risk of the camera detecting you or alerting the guards on the other side. Instead, nothing but an invisible barrier.

Enco

Confidence Man said:
Hell no.

The first game is outdated like hell.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Stallion Free said:
Turn off the button prompts man.
They don't bother me.

EatChildren said:
This specific part of the game pissed me off a little, as I felt the paths available to get through were really cool, yet for some reason they stuck an invisible wall where an extra option would have been totally valid. It was some wall near a camera, with boxes nearby as well. I figured you'd be able to either stack the boxes and/or high jump aug over the wall, running the risk of the camera detecting you or alerting the guards on the other side. Instead, nothing but an invisible barrier.
Either an oversight or they just couldn't make it work. More likely the former than the latter.

15 hours in and it looks like I'm going to lose power any time now. Tons of flickering.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've started this game yesterday and after non being too impressed initially (game starts sloooow, VA is slightly ridiculous) I'm starting to really get into it. I've just been doing the side missions in the Police Station and had a great time breaking into offices, stealing stuff and creeping around in the vents. Loved taking out a guard and looting the armory, stuff like that just makes me grin like a madman.

The game is really hard though, I feel like I die a hell of a lot, and the loading times are excruciating.

EatChildren

A Human Becoming said:
Either an oversight or they just couldn't make it work. More likely the former than the latter.

I'm honestly thinking the former too, as I simply cannot see how it would have broken the area. The situation was actually set up in a way that made me think there was a legitimate risk/reward, specifically the placement of the camera and the boxes, and the guards on the otherside, plus the fact you wouldn't be able to get over unless you had the jump aug or spent time stacking. Oh well.

EatChildren said:

I didn't even go into that room! I only remembered the hostages when I received a notification that SWAT
had bumbled the rescue and they were all dead
after encountering Sanders.

Top Bottom