• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

RedSwirl

I'm still trying to figure out how you guys can run this game well. I'm on a Core 2 Quad and an HD6850 and all settings seen to get me the same framerate with the same frequent slowdown. Turning off Vsync helps a little bit as you can imagine the screen tearing is pretty ridiculous.

epmode

woober said:
Oddly enough, my game kept crashing on dx11 so I turned it off. As soon as I did, I started getting the hitches you're noting. Really odd considering it was so smooth on dx11.
I had to do the same thing to avoid intermittent crashing. More patches pls.

woober

RedSwirl said:
I'm still trying to figure out how you guys can run this game well. I'm on a Core 2 Quad and an HD6850 and all settings seen to get me the same framerate with the same frequent slowdown. Turning off Vsync helps a little bit as you can imagine the screen tearing is pretty ridiculous.

Have you tried triple buffering?

Mrbob

Enco said:
Hell no.

The first game is outdated like hell.

I kind of agree. I went back to the original Deus Ex before Human Revolution came out, and the game is still great. But it is year 2000 design great, and a lot of mechanics are rough around the edges. Still worth playing and the game holds up the test of time to showcase its brilliance, but everything isn't all peaches and cream anymore in 2011. I'm about 20 hours into Human Revolution right now, and the best compliment I can give the game is I would give it an overall push against the original. There are things I like better about Deus Ex, but also additions I enjoy more with Human Revolution.

I think a remake of the original could be potentially amazing, as long as this prequel is successful. I'd love to fill in the time line between Human Revolution and the original Deus Ex with finishing it off in a remake of the classic.

Could someone point me in the right direction to
Sarif's location on Panchea. I received the message that he's in a machine room right before I head down the elevator to the last boss. Not sure how far I need to back track.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Mrbob said:
I kind of agree. I went back to the original Deus Ex before Human Revolution came out, and the game is still great. But it is year 2000 design great, and a lot of mechanics are rough around the edges. Still worth playing and the game holds up the test of time to showcase its brilliance, but everything isn't all peaches and cream anymore in 2011. I'm about 20 hours into Human Revolution right now, and the best compliment I can give the game is I would give it an overall push against the original. There are things I like better about Deus Ex, but also additions I enjoy more with Human Revolution.

I tried to play it years ago and it felt outdated. I don't think I could give it another try now.

abunai

In the cutscene when you return from (mid-game location spoiler)
picus in montreal
did anyone notice at the bottom of the shot entering
detroit, there was a building with a neon sign saying "Kusanagi's" over it :D

zethren

Banned
Probably about four hours in or so, just got to jensen's apartment for the first time, and I'm enjoying it. I bought it almost entirely on impulse and having seen all of the praise. I have to say that to anyone who hasn't gotten the game yet, I highly recommend getting the conversation augmentation upgrade early on. It really adds a lot more depth to the conversations and just really impressed me.

bounchfx

bonesmccoy said:
I didn't even go into that room! I only remembered the hostages when I received a notification that SWAT
had bumbled the rescue and they were all dead
after encountering Sanders.

same, I was confused as hell when they said that at the end.

I'm really enjoying the game, even going through as a 'no kill' type of player, but I just finished that mission and already I want to start over with a 'kill' gameplay to see the differences. so sweet.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
zethren said:
I have to say that to anyone who hasn't gotten the game yet, I highly recommend getting the conversation augmentation upgrade early on. It really adds a lot more depth to the conversations and just really impressed me.
I thought it was a pretty useless Aug. You really don't need that.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Meisadragon said:
While you can still "win" conversations without it, having the CASIE aug actually opens up options that aren't available otherwise. So it's far from useless...

Pendulum

EatChildren said:
Im surprised people stuffed up the hostage rescue. Even after playing the preview code multiple times over, I didn't even know you could screw it up until people started mentioning it.
I "stuffed it up" by hanging around the Sarif building too long after finding the quest where someone has been stealing supplies. Not being sure this quest would be available after the main hostage quest, and not being aware that the game uses real time in this situation, I pretty much solved it before even hoping in the helicopter.

Yet somehow with the hostages dead before I landed at the building, Jensen later referred to being asked by the husband to save the wife. Overpowered seance aug.

wutwutwut

Meisadragon said:
You really don't need any other aug either, since people have completed no-aug runs.

The aug is actually pretty useful, since even in some of the non-battle conversations it opens up new options for you.

While some augs (hacking, super jump, icarus landing, wall-punching, smart vision) seem to be more useful than others, I can't think of a single aug that's completely useless. Maybe the timer aug?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
ExMachina said:
While you can still "win" conversations without it, having the CASIE aug actually opens up options that aren't available otherwise. So it's far from useless...
Actually, the outcomes are always the same and available to non-auged players, I think. It's just that CASIE removes the need to convince if you end up using pheromones. Instant persuasion.

Valravn

Finished it. Game was brilliant; same vibe as the original Deus Ex and it was nice to play a good story-driven oldschool game again. I played on the highest difficulty and all i can do now is to go for all endings (i missed Taggert) and do a 100% non-lethal run.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
ILOVEASIANS said:
Could someone point me in the right direction to
Sarif's location on Panchea. I received the message that he's in a machine room right before I head down the elevator to the last boss. Not sure how far I need to back track.
There is another elevator very close to the main objective marker. Use it and go down to the machine room. Just explore a bit and you'll find them.

masterkajo

I don't want to sell all that cool stuff I find. Is there some kind of storage in the game? Or can I drop all the items and return and pick them up later? (Like in my apartement?)

duckroll said:
Just got out of Detriot. Boss fight was kinda shit, but the game really rocks.

It was such a massive leap in difficulty. I'd only died a handful of times before that battle (usually because of my own stupid decisions, like trying to hack a computer in front of a room of cops), but shit, in that fight you really have no room for error.

edit: I'm ready for weapons/aug/mission DLC. I'm so pleased with the game that I'm more than happy to give those lovely Francophones my lunch money.

wutwutwut

masterkajo said:
I don't want to sell all that cool stuff I find. Is there some kind of storage in the game? Or can I drop all the items and return and pick them up later? (Like in my apartement?)
You can, as long as you don't leave an area (so heed the warning the game gives when you're about to).

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Lyphen said:
Actually, the outcomes are always the same, I think. It's just that CASIE removes the need to convince if you end up using pheromones. Instant persuasion.
No, for example in the conversation with Detective Chase...
without the aug, you can't convince him to give you the safe code.
And in the case of Haas,
if you use pheromones on him instead of convincing him legitimitely to let you into the station, he'll have a different reaction when he's fired.

duckroll

bonesmccoy said:
It was such a massive leap in difficulty. I'd only died a handful of times before that battle (usually because of my own stupid decisions, like trying to hack a computer in front of a room of cops), but shit, in that fight you really have no room for error.

It wasn't a hard fight at all. It was just dumb and boring, which is a stark contrast from the rest of the game in terms of design. The room was obviously designed so you could play it a certain way, but that's about it. And I didn't find that particular way a very fun way to design a boss fight. Considering how heavily influenced the game is by MGS, it is disappointing that they didn't really seem to learn anything from the boss battles in the MGS games.

Ideally I feel that specific boss fight should have had a second level overlooking the base level, filled with cardboard crates. You would start the battle some distance away from the boss and hidden, because the cutscene would end with Jensen ducking into cover. From there you would then either be able to approach the battle from the ground floor like the game is already designed (attacking him with poison and flame barrels, moving from cover to cover along the pillars, zzzzzzz), or you would be able to move along some short stairs to get to the upper level, and move boxes to create holes in cover to shoot at him with your weapons from above.

Once you attack him, he would return fire to destroy all your cover at that spot, so you would have to keep moving. Once you're hidden again, he stops being hostile and starts moving around normally again, so you can repeat. There should also be heavy objects in this top floor, so players with super strength can throw them at him inflecting more damage. In general, having more options on how to fight him would have made it a much better fight.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
duckroll said:
Ideally I feel that specific boss fight should have had a second level overlooking the base level, filled with cardboard crates. You would start the battle some distance away from the boss and hidden, because the cutscene would end with Jensen ducking into cover. From there you would then either be able to approach the battle from the ground floor like the game is already designed (attacking him with poison and flame barrels, moving from cover to cover along the pillars, zzzzzzz), or you would be able to move along some short stairs to get to the upper level, and move boxes to create holes in cover to shoot at him with your weapons from above.

Once you attack him, he would return fire to destroy all your cover at that spot, so you would have to keep moving. Once you're hidden again, he stops being hostile and starts moving around normally again, so you can repeat. There should also be heavy objects in this top floor, so players with super strength can throw them at him inflecting more damage. In general, having more options on how to fight him would have made it a much better fight.
Yeah, this would have made the fight more interesting, but the thing is, I didn't even want to fight any boss after playing so stealthily in that level. They should have seriously thought of something else.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ok guys, how much more game is left for me?

I was ambushed by the heavy machine gun guys in the chinese pod hotel.

Akia said:
If I buy the Amazon Donwload copy, can I register it to Steam?

Yes.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Akia said:
Do I have to download the full game from their servers or will they give me a cd-key to register on Steam right after purchasing?

I downloaded the game from Amazon but the installer automatically registers it into Steam.

Mrbob

I should have picked up the double take down aug early. Bad ass knocking two enemies around at once, and some nice EXP bonus for doing so.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think the greatest issue with the bosses is that they clearly had a lot of back story prepared that never ended up getting used. It would have been perfect to have a verbal boss fight with each of them.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
one of the best games I've ever played, and I went into this game expecting to be let down.

Stallion Free said:
I think the greatest issue with the bosses is that they clearly had a lot of back story prepared that never ended up getting used. It would have been perfect to have a verbal boss fight with each of them.

Was it me or did we see a cutscene with the 1st boss, smashing Jensen and claiming "you'll never find her!" ?

7yG70.jpg

rofl

EliCash

I love Deus Ex but I know next to nothing about this game due to not following anything gaming related for the past year. I think I'll pick it up tomorrow and dive in straight from this blackout.

duckroll

Amir0x said:
the bigger sin is actually not allowing all boss battles to have a non lethal way out

Yeah there should have been a way to stun him or distract him, and then do takedowns from behind. You can already kinda stun him with the poison gas or EMP grenades, but it would have been nice to have non-lethal ways of following that up.

Top Bottom